Shenmue 3 Kickstarter announced at E3 2015!

(Latest news & updates on the series)

Moderator: News Poster/Veteran Contributor

Re: Shenmue 3 Kickstarter announced at E3 2015!

Postby rdk_nl » Fri Jun 19, 2015 4:40 pm

Switch wrote:
YS: Bringing the sequel to reality isn’t something that was just started recently. Even more than 10 years since Shenmue 2, there are still many passionate fans and whenever I attend events or autograph sessions overseas I’m always asked about when Shenmue 3 will be coming. For example, at my autograph sessions in France, 80% of the fans are Shenmue fans.

One of the reasons I traveled all way to Monaco, to let Yu Suzuki know we where still supporting him! It was great to receive so much support from "the dojo" and other English Shenmue Communities.

Monaco was extremely French-related. Most simple English questions couldn't be answered because of French <--> Japanese translators on the exhibition floor. With my presence, I was able to inform the English communities with live report.

2016, I'm definitely there again!

rdk_nl has received 2 thanks from: Anthony817, Flatlandaniel
rdk_nl
Master of the Three Blades

Favorite title: Shenmue II

Postby MaxTheRabbit » Fri Jun 19, 2015 4:54 pm

sand4fish wrote:
mue 26 wrote: Oh man, scrapping the (already brilliant) fighting system, and instead giving us a fighting QTE system....I'm really trying to resist getting negative, I mean, we're getting SHENMUE 3,...but...that idea sounds seriously iffy.

REALLY? Are they scrapping the VF fighting system??? NOOOOOOO... Tell this is just a suggestion or a JOKE...

yeah I'm not sure where that came from, but it's a fucking terrible idea
MaxTheRabbit
Funny Bear Burger Clerk
Funny Bear Burger Clerk

Postby redline » Fri Jun 19, 2015 5:03 pm

MaxTheRabbit wrote:
sand4fish wrote:
mue 26 wrote: Oh man, scrapping the (already brilliant) fighting system, and instead giving us a fighting QTE system....I'm really trying to resist getting negative, I mean, we're getting SHENMUE 3,...but...that idea sounds seriously iffy.

REALLY? Are they scrapping the VF fighting system??? NOOOOOOO... Tell this is just a suggestion or a JOKE...

yeah I'm not sure where that came from, but it's a fucking terrible idea

hold on.

i havent read the redit questions/answers yet. is Yu suzuki talking about getting rid of the free fighting gameplay?
redline
"After Burner...Great!"
"After Burner...Great!"

Postby redline » Fri Jun 19, 2015 5:15 pm

Yu Suzuki Discusses Shenmue III And How His Dream Project Became A Reality

http://www.gameinformer.com/b/features/ ... -2015.aspx
redline
"After Burner...Great!"
"After Burner...Great!"

Postby rome » Fri Jun 19, 2015 5:48 pm

When asked about bringing Shenmue 1 and Shenmue 2 to modern platform's, Yu mentions asking Sega about it, we'll thinking about it at least.....hmmmm
rome
Machine Gun Fist
Machine Gun Fist

Favorite title: Shenmue
Currently playing: Shenmue II

Postby mue 26 » Fri Jun 19, 2015 5:54 pm

redline wrote:

hold on.

i havent read the redit questions/answers yet. is Yu suzuki talking about getting rid of the free fighting gameplay?

Tak Hirai mentions something like that in the kickstarter video put out today. Don't get me wrong, it could end up being a great and revolutionary new system, but the way he described it as kind of a mix of the old fighting system and the QTE system, didn't exactly sell it to me...

mue 26 has received a thanks from: redline
mue 26
Machine Gun Fist
Machine Gun Fist

Postby MaxTheRabbit » Fri Jun 19, 2015 5:56 pm

mue 26 wrote:
Tak Hirai mentions something like that in the kickstarter video put out today. Don't get me wrong, it could end up being a great and revolutionary new system, but the way he described it as kind of a mix of the old fighting system and the QTE system, didn't exactly sell it to me...

hopefully he was just talking about something akin to the arena fights in S2 where the decisive moments of the otherwise standard fights would be QTE
MaxTheRabbit
Funny Bear Burger Clerk
Funny Bear Burger Clerk

Postby Gen » Fri Jun 19, 2015 5:59 pm

They haven't said anywhere they are scrapping free fighting, just that they're gonna make a new one. the old one was ambitious and innovative for it's time but to be honest the controls were sort of awkward and you couldn't really direct your attacks in a precise way. I personally hope they look at something like the arkham games but with more relalistic fighting ofcourse. That may also be what they mean by combining qte and fighting because that's basically what you do in Arkham Asylum. you see a signal about some incoming attack and then you have to quickly press a button to counter or avoid it.
The fact that they have announced move-scrolls can only mean they have free fight-system in the game in my opinion.
Gen

Postby mue 26 » Fri Jun 19, 2015 6:08 pm

Could be. And to be honest the Shenmue series was always pretty much the antithesis of a "gamey" game, so it does make sense that with Shenmue 3 they would want to continue to prioritize the "experience" aspect and streamline the gameyness, eg.the instant move scrolls and this new fighting system.

So I don't really mind that much, and do understand where they're coming from, but I really did find that slightly awkward fighting system in the first two games so satisfying.
mue 26
Machine Gun Fist
Machine Gun Fist

Postby James Brown » Fri Jun 19, 2015 6:11 pm

Something i'd like them to take into account if they can somehow get Sega to sort out the first 2 games in HD or watever they would do, would be to add the system they originally had and wanted to do was starting off the next game with your previous save. It felt like somethings had a purpose in Shenmue 1 because they carried over into 2, like the white leaf...I remember if you start a new shenmue 2 file, the white leaf wasn't there. We always had loads of discussions about things like that as though they would eventually serve a purpose. Even if there's just like 1 additional cutscene in Shenmue 3 for having the leaf in your inventory, would be such a great bit of fan service imo :)
James Brown
"After Burner...Great!"
"After Burner...Great!"

XBL: skilljimmeh

Postby BlueMue » Fri Jun 19, 2015 6:16 pm

I have this strange feeling about the revamp of the fighting system they plan that the sole reason they do so is that they cannot use the VF based one anymore since Sega is still holding the rights to it.

In any case I hope Sega will jump onboard somewhere down the road so every asset of and nod to the other franchises can be used as originally planned for the game.
BlueMue
Machine Gun Fist
Machine Gun Fist

Favorite title: Shenmue II

Postby elfshadowreaper » Fri Jun 19, 2015 6:28 pm

I was never good at fighting in Shenmue. I always used the same two or three moves and button masher my way through. I don't want full qte but I'd like a better button system and more places to practice with NPCs.
elfshadowreaper
Alpha Trading Boss
Alpha Trading Boss

Postby LikeZoinksYo » Fri Jun 19, 2015 6:31 pm

I didnt take what he said as them scrapping the old fighting system at all. Rather it would be a new system available in certain situations that would offer more gravity, which I would suspect means a QTE-type event popping up somewhere for a more cinematic fighting experience.
LikeZoinksYo
Funny Bear Burger Clerk
Funny Bear Burger Clerk

Postby Shenmuehua » Fri Jun 19, 2015 6:37 pm

LikeZoinksYo wrote: I didnt take what he said as them scrapping the old fighting system at all. Rather it would be a new system available in certain situations that would offer more gravity, which I would suspect means a QTE-type event popping up somewhere for a more cinematic fighting experience.

I think that too.
Shenmuehua

PSN: Shenmuehua
XBL: Shenmuehua
Steam: Shenmuehua
Currently playing: Shenmue

Postby YUmakemygame » Fri Jun 19, 2015 7:40 pm

I'm hoping that what they mean is that they are revamping certain instances in combat. For example, whenever Ryo did a throw move and he'd miss, his momentum was so slow before he chambered back into a fighting stance. You would think that a guy so young would have quick recovery LOL. That was the most frustrating part in the free-battles... and when he would get kicked in the kidneys because he's facing the opposite direction of his opponent. He could have even fought Chai better-- the guy looks like he's been dipped in acid. Ryo could have tapped into his nerve damage and hauled some major ass.
YUmakemygame
Funny Bear Burger Clerk
Funny Bear Burger Clerk

PreviousNext

Return to News and Updates