Shenmue 3 Kickstarter announced at E3 2015!

(Latest news & updates on the series)

Moderator: News Poster/Veteran Contributor

Re: Shenmue 3 Kickstarter announced at E3 2015!

Postby SheepheadCG » Wed Jun 17, 2015 6:02 pm

LikeZoinksYo wrote: Ouch, a lot could be missing if we don't hit these goals. And realistically if Baisha Village alone has this much expansion. We may need upwards of 7 - 8 million to see Bailu Village and Choubu. If the images themselves are any indication, considering each one is larger than the previous. Perhaps the latter two areas may have 2 million and 3 million dollars worth of Stretch Goals

Exactly my worry. Sooooo many people thought that 4.5 Million was the last stretch goal. Glad that the kickstarter has now updated them so that people can see the stuff that we could potentially miss out on if they don't back.
SheepheadCG
Man Mo Acolyte
Man Mo Acolyte

Steam: sheephead100
Favorite title: Shenmue
Currently playing: Starcraft 2

Postby Gen » Wed Jun 17, 2015 6:03 pm

Maybe the stretchgoals are for expanding the three villages, meaning we will get them even if those goals aren't met. I highly doubt they would limit the game to one village, that would be absurd.
Gen
Master of the Three Blades

Postby blacktorn » Wed Jun 17, 2015 6:07 pm

It would seem Choubu and Bailu are each going to have $1M stretch goals each or even more! I also share the concern over the vague goals like "additional quest" and " battle event" ect
blacktorn
Funny Bear Burger Clerk
Funny Bear Burger Clerk

Postby Jed » Wed Jun 17, 2015 6:08 pm

Sony need to just come out and say how exactly they are helping with the development. People are thinking "If Sony are now funding it, then the Kickstarter doesn't really matter anymore!" Which may or may not be the case, but they need to clear it up so people do not hesitate to donate!!

Also, I have a feeling that some of these stretch goals are additional 'side quests/features' not necessarily that they will scrap a whole village from the story if the stretch goal ins't met. I hope that's the case, because I see this maybe topping off at around 5 million, maybe close to 6 million.
Jed
Man Mo Acolyte
Man Mo Acolyte

Postby blacktorn » Wed Jun 17, 2015 6:11 pm

We're at 3 million in two days,6 million is being conservative
blacktorn
Funny Bear Burger Clerk
Funny Bear Burger Clerk

Postby Gen » Wed Jun 17, 2015 6:13 pm

We already know that sony are partially funding it. But ofcourse they won't disclose how much.
Gen

Postby bikingjehuty » Wed Jun 17, 2015 6:13 pm

blacktorn wrote: We're at 3 million in two days,6 million is being conservative

The kickstarted has almost raised an additional 200k since midnight, however he initial 2.5mil was the result of the massive hype generated and every die hard Shenmue fan jumping all over this. With that said I can still see this Kickstarter reaching 10mil + before it's over.
bikingjehuty
Funny Bear Burger Clerk
Funny Bear Burger Clerk

Favorite title: Shenmue II

Postby bikingjehuty » Wed Jun 17, 2015 6:15 pm

Gen wrote: Maybe the stretchgoals are for expanding the three villages, meaning we will get them even if those goals aren't met. I highly doubt they would limit the game to one village, that would be absurd.

My thoughts exactly. I am almost certain Yu would have never agreed to doing the Kickstarter if axing huge portions of the story was a possibility of not reaching a certain amount of funding. the stretch goals seem to be there as a way of making an already awesome game even better.
bikingjehuty
Funny Bear Burger Clerk
Funny Bear Burger Clerk

Favorite title: Shenmue II

Postby Sonikku » Wed Jun 17, 2015 6:20 pm

Not necessarily. These kickstarter things tend to be what we call "front loaded", with most of the biggest and most passionate donors blowing their load in the beginning soon after the announcement. They probably make about 50% of their 30 day allotment in the first 3 days and another 20% in the last 2 days.
Sonikku
News Poster
News Poster

Postby Jed » Wed Jun 17, 2015 6:22 pm

I just worry about how long it can sustain that amount of donations for the next 29 days. The amount will definitely slow down day by day.

Figures like 10 million on Kickstarter are very rare and are more reserved for physical products like watches. The Veronica Mars movie made close to 6 million, I'm expecting similar numbers for Shenmue 3, but I hope it makes a lot more and that Sony decide to throw in an extra 30 million, plus 10 million from Sega and maybe they can use those funds to make both Shenmue 3 and 4 like Yu Suzuki wanted. (I think anymore than that is overkill but I'll still take it!)

I hope maybe next week they do another big promotion for the game to garner more interest.
Jed
Man Mo Acolyte
Man Mo Acolyte

Postby SheepheadCG » Wed Jun 17, 2015 6:33 pm

Another article where Yu speaks the stretch goals and goes more indepth into what we can expect:

Taking about the game world, Suzuki said that he has no plans to expand the world in Shenmue 3 to cater for even more characters.

“Everyone must be thinking that we’ll expand the open world more, but I’ve been deeply questioning whether or not to do that instead,” he said. “If we were to have 100 characters and split the budget among them, we’d be limited in terms of what we could do with each one; however, if we were to split that budget among just 10 characters, we could do a lot more with them.”

He goes on to say that the scope of Shenmue 3 and the ambition to add more fetures is only restricted by the size of the Kickstarter campaign.

“A stretch goal on Kickstarter will determine the expansion of the city,” he told the website.

This is only a bit of the interview, here is the rest:
http://www.psu.com/news/27230/Shenmue-3-game-world-to-expand-with-further-Kickstarter-stretch-goals;-QTEs-will-be-%E2%80%98elaborate%E2%80%99?utm_source=twitterfeed&utm_medium=twitter

Basically, the rumour at the moment is that each location is 4 million, so in order to get everything that Yu wants in the game, we need to get this bad boy to 12 million! We need to do something about this. So many people are sitting on there $29 pledges because there is no PS4 physical version but IMO they need to bite the bullet and put their month where their mouths are. We waited 14 years, don't let the fact that you won't get a physical PS4 copy ruin and potentially "remove/dull down" the experience that we have all wanted for so long!
Last edited by SheepheadCG on Wed Jun 17, 2015 6:38 pm, edited 1 time in total.
SheepheadCG
Man Mo Acolyte
Man Mo Acolyte

Steam: sheephead100
Currently playing: Starcraft 2

Postby Shenmuehua » Wed Jun 17, 2015 6:36 pm

What we need is known people saying:

"please help fund this, it is very important for me. If everyone give 5 dollars it is great and only takes you 5 minutes"

Justin Bieber would be nice. *Joke

But seriously if there was a very well world known star it would be great.
Shenmuehua

PSN: Shenmuehua
XBL: Shenmuehua
Steam: Shenmuehua
Currently playing: Shenmue

Postby blacktorn » Wed Jun 17, 2015 6:40 pm

Sonikku wrote:

Not necessarily. These kickstarter things tend to be what we call "front loaded", with most of the biggest and most passionate donors blowing their load in the beginning soon after the announcement. They probably make about 50% of their 30 day allotment in the first 3 days and another 20% in the last 2 days.

Either way i can see this making ALL of it's stretch goals as i could not imagine the fans of this series (hopefully a few of them are multi-millionaires) let them pass on this once in a lifetime chance.
blacktorn
Funny Bear Burger Clerk
Funny Bear Burger Clerk

Postby Jed » Wed Jun 17, 2015 6:42 pm

Cmon Bill Gates, you must have played Shenmue 2 on the Xbox [-o<
Jed
Man Mo Acolyte
Man Mo Acolyte

Postby blacktorn » Wed Jun 17, 2015 6:44 pm

SheepheadCG wrote: Another article where Yu speaks the stretch goals and goes more indepth into what we can expect:

Taking about the game world, Suzuki said that he has no plans to expand the world in Shenmue 3 to cater for even more characters.

“Everyone must be thinking that we’ll expand the open world more, but I’ve been deeply questioning whether or not to do that instead,” he said. “If we were to have 100 characters and split the budget among them, we’d be limited in terms of what we could do with each one; however, if we were to split that budget among just 10 characters, we could do a lot more with them.”

He goes on to say that the scope of Shenmue 3 and the ambition to add more fetures is only restricted by the size of the Kickstarter campaign.

“A stretch goal on Kickstarter will determine the expansion of the city,” he told the website.

This is only a bit of the interview, here is the rest:
http://www.psu.com/news/27230/Shenmue-3-game-world-to-expand-with-further-Kickstarter-stretch-goals;-QTEs-will-be-%E2%80%98elaborate%E2%80%99?utm_source=twitterfeed&utm_medium=twitter

Basically, the rumour at the moment is that each location is 4 million, so in order to get everything that Yu wants in the game, we need to get this bad boy to 12 million! We need to do something about this. So many people are sitting on there $29 pledges because there is no PS4 physical version but IMO they need to bite the bullet and put their month where their mouths are. We waited 14 years, don't let the fact that you won't get a physical PS4 copy ruin and potentially "remove/dull down" the experience that we have all wanted for so long!

Wow now that is alot...worryingly so :shock:
blacktorn
Funny Bear Burger Clerk
Funny Bear Burger Clerk

PreviousNext

Return to News and Updates