Shenmue 3 Kickstarter announced at E3 2015!

(Latest news & updates on the series)

Moderator: News Poster/Veteran Contributor

Re: Shenmue 3 Kickstarter announced at E3 2015!

Postby elfshadowreaper » Wed Jun 17, 2015 6:48 pm

It's starting to sound a lot like this...

Just make the game. We've done our part in kickstarting the amount stated at the beginning.
elfshadowreaper
Alpha Trading Boss
Alpha Trading Boss

Postby SheepheadCG » Wed Jun 17, 2015 6:51 pm

New things added in the FAQ now:

"Can you make an open world game for just $2 million?

No, we cannot make an open world game for $2 million. Shenmue will be produced using both the funds raised from the Kickstarter and through other funding sources already secured by Ys Net Inc. We are very sorry, but due to contractual obligations, details of outside investments will not be disclosed.

How will the funds raised through Kickstarter be used?

The funding collected through Kickstarter will go towards game development, minus Kickstarter's fees and the costs associated with running a Kickstarter."

We seriously need to hit the 5Million goal so we can see how much there is going towards the first location in Baisha. From there we can work out how much per location its going to cost.
SheepheadCG
Man Mo Acolyte
Man Mo Acolyte

Steam: sheephead100
Favorite title: Shenmue
Currently playing: Starcraft 2

Postby shredingskin » Wed Jun 17, 2015 6:55 pm

To be honest the guys doing the kickstarter are spilling mom's spagetti everywhere.
shredingskin
Machine Gun Fist
Machine Gun Fist

Currently playing: Some indie games.

Postby LikeZoinksYo » Wed Jun 17, 2015 6:56 pm

The lack of the PS4 physical copy may end up being the Achilles heel of the campaign lol. So many people refuse to go over the $29 pledge for this one reason alone. It's very unfortunate.
LikeZoinksYo
Funny Bear Burger Clerk
Funny Bear Burger Clerk

Postby Upstairsmuffin » Wed Jun 17, 2015 7:04 pm

I just quickly drew a graph of millions of $ against hours since the kickstarter began out of interest:
It looks like the rate picked up again in the last few hours probably due to the new goals being announced.

Upstairsmuffin has received 2 thanks from: FlagshipFighter, Giorgio
Upstairsmuffin
Asia Travel Representative
Asia Travel Representative

XBL: UpstairsMuffin
Steam: UpstairsMuffin

Postby Gen » Wed Jun 17, 2015 7:07 pm

Upstairsmuffin wrote: I just quickly drew a graph of millions of $ against hours since the kickstarter began out of interest:
It looks like the rate picked up again in the last few hours probably due to the new goals being announced.

brilliant! :)
Gen
Master of the Three Blades

Postby LikeZoinksYo » Wed Jun 17, 2015 7:09 pm

Upstairsmuffin wrote: I just quickly drew a graph of millions of $ against hours since the kickstarter began out of interest:

It's been pulling around 10k an hour all day. While it may be a pipe dream, but if it can somehow manage to maintain that, it should pull in around another 7 million. But that is not realistic, I don't think lol.
LikeZoinksYo
Funny Bear Burger Clerk
Funny Bear Burger Clerk

Postby blacktorn » Wed Jun 17, 2015 7:12 pm

LikeZoinksYo wrote: The lack of the PS4 physical copy may end up being the Achilles heel of the campaign lol. So many people refuse to go over the $29 pledge for this one reason alone. It's very unfortunate.

I really want a ps4 physical copy,but they've stated in the FAQ that's not going to happen..i would guess because If Sony is funding they want people to buy it for the ps4 not as part of the kick starter deal.

However it might be hard to settle for the ps4 version come 2017 as i'm sure it's going to look quite a bit better on the PC at the point in time when the PS4 will be 4 years old.
blacktorn
Funny Bear Burger Clerk
Funny Bear Burger Clerk

Postby javier himura » Wed Jun 17, 2015 7:17 pm

I login here again after many years to just say....yes, its true, i still think i am dreaming. I read the news yesterday moring while i was in the bus goint to work and just when i arrived home in the afternoon i pledged 310$

javier himura has received a thanks from: SegaMon
javier himura
Funny Bear Burger Clerk
Funny Bear Burger Clerk

Postby RiGoRmOrTiS » Wed Jun 17, 2015 7:30 pm

If we look at the last 3 hours, just as an example

9.20pm (BST) - $ 3,048,896
10.20pm (BST)- $ 3,061,544 ($ 12,648)
11.20pm (BST) - $ 3,070,500 ($ 8956 )
12.20pm (BST) - $ 3,078,138 ($ 7638 )

its not consistent, but all of today its been an average of 10k an hour. This is pretty good, if we keep that pace we have nothing to worry about, we will blast right past 4 million and hit 9-10 million around the end of the kick starter.

However! we need to be realists here. We are not going to maintain that rate, its going to drop and probably by half at least, if it maintains half of what we are currently getting we will come out around 6.5 million at the end.

Now keeping in mind there will be lulls after this week where it'll drop off people's radar, so best to work that into the final figure and reduce it a bit more. So I think its fair to assume we are going to hit around 5.5 - 6 million. the pace will REALLY have to tank terribly to end up with less, which is totally possible, its a 14 year old franchise.

for all we know those two extra goals might be 5 million and 6 million; in that situation, with a lot of luck (and I mean a lot!) we could make it, if they are more than that I really don't see it happening....

We may need to pool all those resources in the Shenmue community and fight for the kickstarter like we fought every month just to get our voices heard.. whatever stops we have, pull them all out!

RiGoRmOrTiS has received a thanks from: Upstairsmuffin
RiGoRmOrTiS
Alpha Trading Boss
Alpha Trading Boss

Favorite title: What's Shenmue

Postby LikeZoinksYo » Wed Jun 17, 2015 7:37 pm

blacktorn wrote:
LikeZoinksYo wrote: The lack of the PS4 physical copy may end up being the Achilles heel of the campaign lol. So many people refuse to go over the $29 pledge for this one reason alone. It's very unfortunate.

I really want a ps4 physical copy,but they've stated in the FAQ that's not going to happen..i would guess because If Sony is funding they want people to buy it for the ps4 not as part of the kick starter deal.

However it might be hard to settle for the ps4 version come 2017 as i'm sure it's going to look quite a bit better on the PC at the point in time when the PS4 will be 4 years old.

I'm a Playstation person myself. But that in no way has altered my love for this game, and desire to see it meet it's full potential. I've been pleading in the comments of the page that if that alone is your only reason for not upping pledge to reconsider. I am going to quite happily take and display my Special Backer PC Edition, and come 2017 I will definitely be buying a PS4 (Hopefully) Collector Edition from retail. Sony has confirmed they are helping this project, including allotting resources and Im assuming developers to it. People are CRAZY if they don't think PS4 will have a physical copy. We could hit another 300k+ right now if just half of the $29 Backers upped their pledge.

Again, only calling out the ones that are withholding because of the platform.
LikeZoinksYo
Funny Bear Burger Clerk
Funny Bear Burger Clerk

Postby elfshadowreaper » Wed Jun 17, 2015 7:42 pm

So are we thinking there won't be a physical copy of the ps4 game at all or just offered as a reward?
elfshadowreaper
Alpha Trading Boss
Alpha Trading Boss

Postby LikeZoinksYo » Wed Jun 17, 2015 7:45 pm

elfshadowreaper wrote: So are we thinking there won't be a physical copy of the ps4 game at all or just offered as a reward?

Offered as a reward.
LikeZoinksYo
Funny Bear Burger Clerk
Funny Bear Burger Clerk

Postby SheepheadCG » Wed Jun 17, 2015 7:50 pm

Another new Update #5:

Hello Everyone!

Thank you everyone for all of your wonderful comments! Hearing everyone's stories and seeing everyone's reactions is what this all about. Shenmue means so much to so many people and we hope everyone keeps spreading the love.

There is lots of Shenmue 3 Kickstarter left and a long way to go to. So, let’s start revealing those Stretch Goals!

There are plenty more where that came from and new ones will be revealed as we keep climbing. The next Stretch Goals on the list will add new systems to Shenmue 3 that will give a huge boost to the gameplay. The Rapport System will add a depth of story, interactivity and character development that only Yu Suzuki can bring. The Skill Tree System will give Ryo a new way to level up and specialize his fighting move set.

Next up is the Baisha Village expansion goals—spend more time exploring Baisha, with extra mini-games, interactive events and a new character system. The Character Perspective System will really let you explore the world of Shenmue through the different character personalities.

Messages and Comments and FAQs

Thank you everyone for all of your comments, questions and ideas. If you have a question, please send us a message. There has been just a flood of them and we are very sorry, but it may take a little while before we can get back. We are working as hard as we can, and all of your messages will be answered.

We are updating the FAQs regularly, so you may find your question has been answered there.

Thanks again!!!

As we thought, these Stretch Goals are probably going to go up to at least 12 Million. I guess we'll have wait until they expose the next set until we know for sure though.
SheepheadCG
Man Mo Acolyte
Man Mo Acolyte

Steam: sheephead100
Currently playing: Starcraft 2

Postby JohnBlack » Wed Jun 17, 2015 7:53 pm

elfshadowreaper wrote: So are we thinking there won't be a physical copy of the ps4 game at all or just offered as a reward?

To make physical copy, they need to pay additional fee. I think thats why they dont consider it this way. On the other hand, on PC you can sell and make anything, even naked photos.
JohnBlack

Favorite title: Shenmue II

PreviousNext

Return to News and Updates