Shenmue 3 Kickstarter announced at E3 2015!

(Latest news & updates on the series)

Moderator: News Poster/Veteran Contributor

Re: Shenmue 3 Kickstarter announced at E3 2015!

Postby shredingskin » Fri Jun 19, 2015 8:56 am

Doesn't feel like Yu Suzuki is going to compromise much, let's be positive guys.
shredingskin
Machine Gun Fist
Machine Gun Fist

Favorite title: Shenmue
Currently playing: Some indie games.

Postby SheepheadCG » Fri Jun 19, 2015 9:00 am

I have been trying for the last 2 days to try and make some awareness that Sony's funding is not as big as people think.
I created a thread on the Shenmue Subreddit, and luckily the Mod over there Bert306, contacted me and asked if he could sticky the post.

From this point on, I think we need to focus on getting the words Directly out of Yu's mouth. He has said in the Famistu interview that he expects the main funding to come from the Kickstarter, so we need to make he re-iterate that in today's Reddit AMA. More specifically, we know that he cannot comment on the amount of funding that he has secured from outside sources, but I feel that we might be able to get a number of out him that HE WANTS the kickstater to hit. If we can get that number, we can quote him and spread that news like wildfire. Even news sites like IGN, Kotaku etc will be interested in that.

We need to get this info and then need to get it out there. If Shenmue fans see that Yu wants (for example 12 Million), then we will get Yu 12 Million :P.

Today's AMA Goal:
Ask Yu Suzuki "Where does Yu-san expect most of the Funding to come from for Shenmue 3? And more importantly, how much does Yu-san want the Kickstater to reach in order for him to make the FULL vision for Shenmue 3?"

If we know the above information by the end of the day, we can flood news outlets with this and intern remove a lot of the miss-information regarding the outside funding.

The post on the Reddit that I talked about:
http://www.reddit.com/r/Shenmue/comments/3abv69/the_sony_funding_is_not_that_much_famistu_article/

I am going to be posting the thread on the kickstater every couple of hours. If people have accounts on Neogaf, or on Shenmue500k facebook, then please help spread the word so we can get these questions answered. Thank you!
SheepheadCG
Man Mo Acolyte
Man Mo Acolyte

Steam: sheephead100
Currently playing: Starcraft 2

Postby shenhua legend » Fri Jun 19, 2015 9:12 am

Three Blades wrote: Image

It DOES indeed look a hell of a lot better than the trailer :shock:
Is this real? Did they fix the faces already after seeing how much money they were getting?

Looks like a photoshop from one of the images the media has published. The model looks a little off somehow but looks great, Shen Hua in the other hand.... but we know this is all provisional, no need to worry.
shenhua legend
Master of the Three Blades

Postby LikeZoinksYo » Fri Jun 19, 2015 9:25 am

SheepheadCG wrote: I have been trying for the last 2 days to try and make some awareness that Sony's funding is not as big as people think.
I created a thread on the Shenmue Subreddit, and luckily the Mod over there Bert306, contacted me and asked if he could sticky the post.

From this point on, I think we need to focus on getting the words Directly out of Yu's mouth. He has said in the Famistu interview that he expects the main funding to come from the Kickstarter, so we need to make he re-iterate that in today's Reddit AMA. More specifically, we know that he cannot comment on the amount of funding that he has secured from outside sources, but I feel that we might be able to get a number of out him that HE WANTS the kickstater to hit. If we can get that number, we can quote him and spread that news like wildfire. Even news sites like IGN, Kotaku etc will be interested in that.

We need to get this info and then need to get it out there. If Shenmue fans see that Yu wants (for example 12 Million), then we will get Yu 12 Million :P.

Today's AMA Goal:
Ask Yu Suzuki "Where does Yu-san expect most of the Funding to come from for Shenmue 3? And more importantly, how much does Yu-san want the Kickstater to reach in order for him to make the FULL vision for Shenmue 3?"

If we know the above information by the end of the day, we can flood news outlets with this and intern remove a lot of the miss-information regarding the outside funding.

The post on the Reddit that I talked about:
http://www.reddit.com/r/Shenmue/comments/3abv69/the_sony_funding_is_not_that_much_famistu_article/

I am going to be posting the thread on the kickstater every couple of hours. If people have accounts on Neogaf, or on Shenmue500k facebook, then please help spread the word so we can get these questions answered. Thank you!

I definitely agree we should try and get him to announce how much he personally hopes the Kickstarter to raise. Everything else about where outside funding, and how much they are giving, I dont think we should even attempt to touch on that. Because contract stipulations are undoubtedly in place, and even Sony has outright said "we can't comment". But if we can get "I would love to see 8 million, 10 million, 12 million from Kickstarter." That is a huge bit of information, and something we can use making the rounds across the internet circuit.

Other than that let's focus a whole lot on things to breathe life in to the Kickstarter. Because it seems we've hit the dreaded, and inevitable lull. 2k in the last hour lol.
Last edited by LikeZoinksYo on Fri Jun 19, 2015 9:34 am, edited 1 time in total.
LikeZoinksYo
Funny Bear Burger Clerk
Funny Bear Burger Clerk

Postby Mystere » Fri Jun 19, 2015 9:32 am

shenhua legend wrote:
Three Blades wrote: Image

It DOES indeed look a hell of a lot better than the trailer :shock:
Is this real? Did they fix the faces already after seeing how much money they were getting?

Looks like a photoshop from one of the images the media has published. The model looks a little off somehow but looks great, Shen Hua in the other hand.... but we know this is all provisional, no need to worry.

It's not a Photoshop. More angles here:

http://www.gamespark.jp/article/img/201 ... 07657.html

It's possible this is actually the same model we've seen, except due to harsh light sourcing in the "official" promo pic, Ryo looks considerably different. However, in the video when it pans up to his face, he looks more like this version.
Mystere
Man Mo Acolyte
Man Mo Acolyte

Postby SheepheadCG » Fri Jun 19, 2015 9:38 am

LikeZoinksYo wrote:

I definitely agree we should try and get him to announce how much he personally hopes the Kickstarter to raise. Everything else about where outside funding, and how much they are giving, I dont think we should even attempt to touch on that. Because contract stipulations are undoubtedly in place, and even Sony has outright said "we can't comment". But if we can get "I would love to see 8 million, 10 million, 12 million from Kickstarter." That is a huge bit of information, and something we can use making the rounds across the internet circuit.

Other than that let's focus a whole lot on things to breathe life in to the Kickstarter. Because it seems we've hit the dreaded, and inevitable lull. 2k in the last hour lol.

Exactly this ^^. We need to spread the word.
SheepheadCG
Man Mo Acolyte
Man Mo Acolyte

Steam: sheephead100
Currently playing: Starcraft 2

Postby sand4fish » Fri Jun 19, 2015 9:57 am

So what we know so far after these few days since the campaign's launch:

For development, Suzuki has turned to the company neilo as the main developer. Takeshi Hirai of neilo was the chief programmer for the original Shenmue.
Asked by Weekly Famitsu why he didn’t consider partnering with a Western developer, Suzuki noted, “There was that option, yes. But the biggest characteristic of Shenmue is culture.” Suzuki has been vocal of his intent to preserve the cultural aspects of the game.
For the development of Shenmue III, Suzuki is gathering other key members of the development team for the original game.
Suzuki is currently looking at the Unreal Engine 4 for Shenmue III. “I’ve been looking at a several different engines over the past three years for Shenmue III, and Unreal Engine 4’s colors fit the color of the world I envision for Shenmue.” Suzuki remarked.
While Shenmue II offered a bigger map compared to the original Shenmue, Suzuki has said that for Shenmue III he is looking to make a smaller, more detailed world. “Ever since [Shenmue II] I always had decided that ‘for the next game, I’m going to go much deeper.’” Suzuki said. Suzuki has said that he is looking to focus on giving the characters far more depth in how they act as they inhabit the world of Shenmue III and how they react to the player’s decisions.
The story of Shenmue III will start directly after the end of Shenmue II where *spoilers!* Ryo Hazuki met Ling Shenhua and went to her home *end spoilers!* Suzuki has confirmed that several familiar characters will be returning in the game. Fortunately, for those who have never played the previous games, the Kickstarter stretch goal of 2.5 million – cinema shorts for Shenmue and Shenmue II – has been reached.
While the game’s release date is still not set in stone, Suzuki is hoping to have the game available by the end of 2017.
As the game is a direct sequel in the series, it is not a spin-off, side story, remake, or reboot.
The initial asking goal was for 2 million dollars. It hit that goal in less than 24 hours, making it the fastest Kickstarter project to hit both a million and 2 million dollars.
Sega, which published the previous Shenmue games kindly handed the rights for a sequel over to series creator Yu Suzuki without any sort of fuss. Nice of you, Sega.
Sony has a hand in the project, probably shouldering what will the bulk of developments costs.
sand4fish
"After Burner...Great!"
"After Burner...Great!"

Postby mue 26 » Fri Jun 19, 2015 10:18 am

I'm not sure about that last bit. We know Sony will have a hand in it, but didn't he say in that Japanese interview the majority of funding will probably be from "individual backers"?
mue 26
Machine Gun Fist
Machine Gun Fist

Postby elfshadowreaper » Fri Jun 19, 2015 10:21 am

What's the link for the Reddit AMA?
elfshadowreaper
Alpha Trading Boss
Alpha Trading Boss

Postby sand4fish » Fri Jun 19, 2015 10:36 am

Here...

mue 26 wrote: I'm not sure about that last bit. We know Sony will have a hand in it, but didn't he say in that Japanese interview the majority of funding will probably be from "individual backers"?

What I posted was part of a Kotaku article, so yes ... Sony's play at this is still unknown. That's why the success of this campaign is so critical.
sand4fish
"After Burner...Great!"
"After Burner...Great!"

Postby LikeZoinksYo » Fri Jun 19, 2015 11:49 am

Since the team says they want to involve the Kickstarter community with the development of the game as much as possible. I wonder if they could be convinced to abandon all of the subtitle goals in favor of world/game system expansion. Not that the subtitles aren't important, I know I'd be shit out of luck since I don't speak Japanese. But on the PC the community will mod every language under the sun, and I'm sure there are fans that would even work on subtitle translation for the game for free.
LikeZoinksYo
Funny Bear Burger Clerk
Funny Bear Burger Clerk

Postby Gen » Fri Jun 19, 2015 12:05 pm

Don't expect Yu to reveal how much funding is coming from Sony or other sources. And Adam Boyes from Sony has already said they won't disclose how much they are putting into the development. Frankly I don't see the point of obsessing about this, we already know Yu is getting funding from Sony and other sources since 2 million isn't nearly enough to make the game. We should focus on getting the kickstarter as high as possible since more money to Yu will likely result in a better game. :D
Gen

Postby Shenmuehua » Fri Jun 19, 2015 12:07 pm

Even if I prefer english subtitles and I m french I don t think it is a good idea for reputation.

They ask money for somthing they get it and then use it for something else.

The financing by Sony is already "kind of a problem" since we don t know all the story so don t add this please.

Would remind me of Microsoft after announcing their one with features and come back after 2 days. It was desastrous.
Shenmuehua

PSN: Shenmuehua
XBL: Shenmuehua
Steam: Shenmuehua
Currently playing: Shenmue

Postby Vito » Fri Jun 19, 2015 12:28 pm

If by the end the Kickstarter doesn't even break Bloodstained's record. Im going bold.
Vito
Banned
Banned

Favorite title: Shenmue IIx
Currently playing: Mafia

Postby CloakBass » Fri Jun 19, 2015 12:37 pm

Last time I posted on this forum was more than 7 years ago - in 2008 when I was playing Shenmue II on my Xbox. I came back just to say... hype!!! :D I nearly cried when I heard the big news.
CloakBass
Asia Travel Representative
Asia Travel Representative

PreviousNext

Return to News and Updates