Yu Suzuki Makes Statement on Kickstarter Funding/Budget

(Latest news & updates on the series)

Moderator: News Poster/Veteran Contributor

Yu Suzuki Makes Statement on Kickstarter Funding/Budget

Postby Supa » Wed Jun 24, 2015 7:58 pm

Yu Suzuki has made an official statement on the funding and budget of Shenmue III through Kickstarter. He addresses the outside funding the game will receive through Sony and Shibuya Productions, as well as exactly where the Kickstarter money will be going. Reiterated in this statement are his ambitions to reach $5 million for the character perspective system, as well as the overall $10 million goal.

Links: Statement | Shenmue 3 Kickstarter | News Archive

Supa
"Keep Friends"
"Keep Friends"

Favorite title: Shenmue

Re: Yu Suzuki Makes Statement on Kickstarter Funding/Budget

Postby RyoShen » Wed Jun 24, 2015 8:26 pm

Very good!
RyoShen
Fuku-san
Fuku-san

Favorite title: Shenmue II
Currently playing: Shenmue II e GTAV

Postby HedlessChickn » Wed Jun 24, 2015 8:26 pm

"Sony and Shibuya Productions have been wonderful partners because they believe in Shenmue and want to see the best for the fans and the game. Their investment in (and support of) Shenmue have helped to realize a sequel that will stand proud with its predecessors. While it is not business practice to discuss the specific details of such arrangements, I can say that with their assistance on the production and marketing end, and in Sony’s case with some publishing support as well, Ys Net is able to use more of the money we collect through Kickstarter purely for Shenmue 3’s development. It is also important to note that your funds are going strictly to Ys Net for development of Shenmue 3 – Sony and Shibuya Productions are not seeing a cent of your Kickstarter dollars."

--This is the most important paragraph.

That being said, people are going to complain about how much the "some" is he's referring to. A lot of people are going to read that as "most" because reasons. But you know, I'm just glad it's coming and wish I could have donated more.
HedlessChickn
Asia Travel Representative

PSN: HedlessChickn
XBL: HedlessChickn
Steam: HedlessChickn
Currently playing: Shenmue

Postby elfshadowreaper » Wed Jun 24, 2015 9:21 pm

Still no PayPal. I'm fine with Kickstarter for myself right now but I realize tons of others will only be able to make contributions through PayPal. So it's lame they haven't made that available yet.

elfshadowreaper has received a thanks from: Sonikku
elfshadowreaper
Alpha Trading Boss
Alpha Trading Boss

Postby Arm Wrestler » Wed Jun 24, 2015 9:32 pm

Hopefully some websites that claimed that Sony was funding the development will correct themselves.

Arm Wrestler has received a thanks from: *Kenshin Himura*
Arm Wrestler

Postby Wanderin' » Wed Jun 24, 2015 10:43 pm

As such passionate and long suffering fans we are however, it still seems immensely painful for Suzuki to have officially quoted a large and specific number/cost - 10 million dollars - that would literally make Shenmue 3 the greatest experience it should be.

Painful not because Suzuki is being greedy in any way (he's not) or because the Kickstarter campaign is in anyway deceptive (it's not) but painful because of just how incredibly hard Suzuki and we, his fans have to continuously and persistently work for Shenmue 3, even now. After all, an extra 10 million dollars is most likely a trivial request for any other recently announced 'heritage project' like FF7 Remake.

Painful because Suzuki's creativity is being forcibly stifiled by a now cold and unfeeling contemporary world of misleading, impersonal social media and conditional corporate agreements - all things that I at least, always thought Shenmue as a paradigm compelled its players to rise above and become better than. You know - always give your fellow human being the benefit of the doubt and do your best to help them out unconditionally in any appropriately capable capacity within your power.

It is as if I feel like I need to apologise to Mr. Suzuki - but for what reason(s) I know not. Shenmue fans were only mere children and adolescents when they played Shenmue 1 and 2 for the first time some fifteen years ago - and now, as many of us are foraying into the busy existence that is adulthood in our twenties and thirties, I guess it's impossible for us not to feel hurt by not being able to do more to make Shenmue 3 as grand a reality it can finally be.

And really, when you hear us Shenmue fans plead for a 10 million dollar Kickstarter goal, that's really what's reflected in the mirror - a generation of young adults working and trying desperately and painstakingly to make up for lost time and fulfill one passionate, collective dream of theirs that they did not think could ever come true in their lifetimes - the continuation of the Shenmue experience.

Our apologies, Mr. Suzuki. If we had the 10 million dollars to give unconditionally, we would have already done so. As for now, we want to and will continue to do whatever is in our collective power to continue supporting Shenmue 3 in whatever capacity we can. This, I can assure you is a promise we all made 14 years ago when we were nothing but young adolescents - and it is a promise we intend to keep forevermore.
Last edited by Wanderin' on Thu Jun 25, 2015 4:39 am, edited 1 time in total.

Wanderin' has received a thanks from: Shendream
Wanderin'
Master of the Three Blades

Postby ÐÃ ß×® » Wed Jun 24, 2015 11:26 pm

5 millions is very doable and will probably be met but 10 millions is just a pipe dream.
ÐÃ ß×®

Postby Yama » Wed Jun 24, 2015 11:28 pm

Thank you for posting Supa, great first post. That's how you do it!

Yama has received a thanks from: Supa
Yama
Shenmue Dojo Owner
Shenmue Dojo Owner

PSN: YamaMX

Postby Supa » Wed Jun 24, 2015 11:30 pm

Thank you!
Supa
"Keep Friends"
"Keep Friends"

Postby Nankeiro » Wed Jun 24, 2015 11:41 pm

I suppose it will be clear for all, now.
Nankeiro

Postby redline » Thu Jun 25, 2015 4:04 am

elfshadowreaper wrote: Still no PayPal. I'm fine with Kickstarter for myself right now but I realize tons of others will only be able to make contributions through PayPal. So it's lame they haven't made that available yet.

what about a middle man. like one of the mod's here at the dojo who can collect donations via paypal and pass them along to the shenmue3 kickstarter? (we could have it on the main page?)

:-k maybe only good for small donations as fans would miss out on the cool free stuff.
redline
"After Burner...Great!"
"After Burner...Great!"

Postby drunkensailor » Thu Jun 25, 2015 4:32 am

Arm Wrestler wrote: Hopefully some websites that claimed that Sony was funding the development will correct themselves.

why? yu is very specific here that sony helps funding them as well as shibuya productions
drunkensailor
Alpha Trading Boss
Alpha Trading Boss

PSN: gjb1985

Postby drunkensailor » Thu Jun 25, 2015 4:32 am

elfshadowreaper wrote: Still no PayPal. I'm fine with Kickstarter for myself right now but I realize tons of others will only be able to make contributions through PayPal. So it's lame they haven't made that available yet.

this. I can only pay with paypal and am willing to donate 500$ but if there's no paypal option I won't be able to back it
drunkensailor
Alpha Trading Boss
Alpha Trading Boss

Postby laagi » Thu Jun 25, 2015 4:33 am

Wanderin' wrote:And really, when you hear us Shenmue fans plead for a 10 million dollar Kickstarter goal, that's really what's reflected in the mirror - a generation of young adults working and trying desperately and painstakingly to make up for lost time and fulfill one passionate, collective dream of theirs that they did not think could ever come true in their lifetimes - the continuation of the Shenmue experience.

So true my friend, so true! It's been too long for us fans and now that it's finally on the horizon, I think we still got a long and difficult road ahead of us to have those dreams fullfilled. Let's make this happen!
laagi
Funny Bear Burger Clerk
Funny Bear Burger Clerk

Postby drunkensailor » Thu Jun 25, 2015 4:35 am

ÐÃ ß×® wrote: 5 millions is very doable and will probably be met but 10 millions is just a pipe dream.

not if they keep funding options open after kickstarter, like star citizen did, who did a lot less than 5 million from kickstarter but are now on 50 million budget because after kickstarter they moved it to their website and with showing new content they gained massive amounts of money
drunkensailor
Alpha Trading Boss
Alpha Trading Boss

Next

Return to News and Updates