Yu Suzuki Will Be On Twitch This Friday

(Latest news & updates on the series)

Moderator: News Poster/Veteran Contributor

Re: Yu Suzuki Will Be On Twitch This Friday

Postby AM2 » Sat Jun 27, 2015 10:11 am

Gotta love that palm tree behind Yu Suzuki though :D
Guy in the red shirt, stay off the dope...
AM2
Funny Bear Burger Clerk
Funny Bear Burger Clerk

Favorite title: Shenmue
Currently playing: Life

Postby Mitsuzuki » Sat Jun 27, 2015 10:21 am

Getting around to watching this now, so thanks for the youtube links, people! I don't want to dogpile on the host, but I can't help it. At about 7 minutes in it's barely watchable. I'm not sure I'll watch the rest.

Awful host, awful set, awful sound and lighting. Mr. Suzuki is being a pro, though- I'm not sure how he can tolerate the quality of this entire format. At least the right questions seem to be getting out there. With respect to his responses from the answers, the host should be embarrassed. I know I am.

It really is such a shame, because Mr. Suzuki and this franchise deserves so much more respect to the Shenmue brand and the marketing needs to reflect this.

There are many voices out there that seem to "demand" all the answers, which I find particularly annoying. First of all, because this is so early in the development process (it's just Kickstarting so it's super-early), ideas and processes are still being formed. And secondly, this is Mr. Yu Suzuki we're talking about here. We know he wants to make the best game Shenmue III can be and we already have the trust in him that he will. It's really that simple.

For people that are new to Shenmue, perhaps the marketing should focus on Yu Suzuki himself. Have it start with a mini-bio on himself and the games he made before Shenmue. Then focus on all the innovations that Shenmue I and II brought to gaming which we all now take for granted. For example:

Open World:
As far as I know, Shenmue was the first game of its kind to have the kind of open-world scale so many games have now. This game came out over a year before GTAIII, which previously was a top-down game.

Magic Weather:
Never seen this before in a game. The seasons changed as you played, and the weather changed accordingly. NPC's brought out umbrellas when it rained. Wasn't the weather modelled after actual weather from Yokosuka in 1986-1987?

NPC's:
Depending on where you are in the story, each NPC Ryo interacts with will say something relevant to that point in time. They have their own daily schedule. Store owners will leave their home in the morning, go to work, then go home at the end of the day. Incredible.

These are just some examples but we all know there's so much more. The piece could finish with what Mr. Suzuki hopes to accomplish with Shenmue III, with our help.

The Shenmue brand needs to be better handled during this critical campaign not only to help make Shenmue III be the best game it can be, but to give the history of the game the respect it deserves.

Mitsuzuki has received a thanks from: Axm
Mitsuzuki
Alpha Trading Boss
Alpha Trading Boss

Currently playing: Deep in the Destiny hole

Postby Sonikku » Sat Jun 27, 2015 10:40 am

Above all else, you really have to admire Yu sticking it out through all the challenges and bullshit for all of us the fans.

Sonikku has received 3 thanks from: Axm, Giorgio, Mitsuzuki
Sonikku
News Poster
News Poster

Postby Julio III » Sat Jun 27, 2015 10:55 am

SegaSen wrote: That guy probably does his best though, we don't have to insult him. He didn't do a good job, that much is clear, but he doesn't deserve to be slandered this badly. How would you feel if you saw all these comments about you...

A person with a sound mind would apologise to the fans, and the company he is meant to be promoting. If he tendered his resignation that would be suitable.
Julio III
Man Mo Acolyte
Man Mo Acolyte

Postby Wude-Tang Clan » Sat Jun 27, 2015 11:16 am

For real though, I thought this dude sneaked in through a back door and tied up the guy who was supposed to be there in the janitors closet or something.

Dude isn't ready for public access, and he gets to sit at a table with one of the most venerated developers; maybe a hand full of people on the entire planet, who have had as much influence in their industry spanning more than 3 decades?

At minimum, all he had to do was read what was on the page and control himself; something that most teenagers are capable of, instead, he made a mockery of the campaign and everyone involved by acting like a damn fool and taking the spotlight off of Suzuki-san and onto himself.

Wude-Tang Clan has received 2 thanks from: Axm, Hynad
Wude-Tang Clan
Master of the Three Blades

Favorite title: Shenmue II

Postby laagi » Sat Jun 27, 2015 11:23 am

Brought to you by ... FANTA ... :roll: Where's the Hazuki Tiger when you need one !?
laagi
Funny Bear Burger Clerk
Funny Bear Burger Clerk

Postby Mitsuzuki » Sat Jun 27, 2015 11:32 am

Yeah just really simple production stuff.

All they needed was another person to read the feed of questions, put about 6 of the popular ones on a handout and give to the host to choose. A missed opportunity.
Mitsuzuki
Alpha Trading Boss
Alpha Trading Boss

Currently playing: Deep in the Destiny hole

Postby robatfreedom » Sat Jun 27, 2015 11:50 am

I just don't understand why they can't get Yu Suzuki on a big site for an interview life Game Trailers, Giant Bomb, IGN, Gamespot etc.

Run the thing like professionals?

Although....This is the most entertained I have been with gamiling, possibly in my life haha.
I was literally in tears - the second time Shenmue 3 has done that to me (well three if you include not being announce for 14 years).

Despair, joy, and sear uncontrollable laugter - man, this game is aiming for all the emotions.
robatfreedom
Asia Travel Representative

Postby laagi » Sat Jun 27, 2015 12:33 pm

Besides this rather amateurish approach... Am I the only one who's a bit disappointed with the new rewards (which all have gone already)?

I mean it's nice to have the old merchandise but I was hoping for something more KS exclusive. Personally, I'm still hoping for a Ren Wu Ying replica jacket ;-) Just as an alternative to Ryo's.
laagi
Funny Bear Burger Clerk
Funny Bear Burger Clerk

Postby spinksy » Sat Jun 27, 2015 2:28 pm

^^
Yeah same.

I didn't get to watch it live but saw it roughly 5 and a bit hours after it went live and all the rewards had already gone.

I'm also alittle gutted at just how much of the kickstarter funds are having to be used for the rewards.

Obviously they have to be paid for but 25% of budget it a big chunk gone.
They should stick to digital rewards to keep costs down.
spinksy

XBL: spinksy777
Currently playing: Shenmue, skies of Arcadia

Postby Ziming » Sat Jun 27, 2015 3:02 pm

Talks about the problems with Awesome Japan running the Shenmue 3 Kickstarter.

phpBB [video]

Ziming has received a thanks from: Hynad
Ziming
Banned
Banned

Postby Hynad » Sat Jun 27, 2015 3:09 pm

Ziming wrote: Talks about the problems with Awesome Japan running the Shenmue 3 Kickstarter.

phpBB [video]

Yeah, I listened to that podcast not long ago and the two persons doing it are really good! Very insightful, factual and professional! Definitely a must for anyone who wants to know more about Shenmue's Kickstarter and who runs it.
Hynad

PSN: Hynad
XBL: Hynad
Nintendo FC: Hynad81
Steam: Hynad
Currently playing: Shenmue

Postby laagi » Sat Jun 27, 2015 3:51 pm

I agree, so far my biggest concern is also that Shenmue III (despite it taking at least another 2 years) is not the end. I really don't think I could handle another cliffhanger ending, with a lord knows when sequel. Please have it end in a respectable way, now that we've been waiting for nearly 14 years! As much as it hurts to say but I want to close this chapter of my life once and for all :cry:
laagi
Funny Bear Burger Clerk
Funny Bear Burger Clerk

Postby elfshadowreaper » Sat Jun 27, 2015 4:52 pm

laagi wrote: I agree, so far my biggest concern is also that Shenmue III (despite it taking at least another 2 years) is not the end. I really don't think I could handle another cliffhanger ending, with a lord knows when sequel. Please have it end in a respectable way, now that we've been waiting for nearly 14 years! As much as it hurts to say but I want to close this chapter of my life once and for all :cry:

I feel the same way, but this time we're talking about 14 years of Shenmue being in gamers' vernacular and the game will be on PS4 which I think will be big. And if you add proper HD rereleases of the first two I think we've got a lot more going for us than we did when Shenmue 2 was released. Also all the money they make will be profit because of the Kickstarter.

So while I worry about not getting resolution if 3 flops, Shenmue 3 will have a great chance at success both critically and financially.

Worst case scenario, if it fails hard I think Yu will say "screw it, I'm just writing a book."
elfshadowreaper
Alpha Trading Boss
Alpha Trading Boss

Postby DEVILLE_David » Sat Jun 27, 2015 5:19 pm

Seems like we'll be getting the 4 Chiyoumen boss climax with 3.6 millions.

Which means the part with Tentei and the last chapters will happen during Shenmue IV. Atleast that's what I get from the "Livestream".
DEVILLE_David
Man Mo Acolyte
Man Mo Acolyte

PSN: RavanaEX
Currently playing: God of War

PreviousNext

Return to News and Updates