Corey Marshall confirmed to voice Ryo in Shenmue 3

(Latest news & updates on the series)

Moderator: News Poster/Veteran Contributor

Re: Corey Marshall confirmed to voice Ryo in Shenmue 3

Postby blacktorn » Wed Jul 01, 2015 2:08 pm

Well in the end i enjoyed shenmue regardless of Corey voicing Ryo but if we had to rate Corey on his ability to do proper VO then he would in all honesty be pretty low on the list and yeah i guess in a way it's nice to have some consistency and perhaps it would be too weird to hear Ryo played by someone else other than Corey.

I just hope the script writers can work with him and try to do a better job than they did with I&II or else it may be a sticking point in the reviews for shenmue III as it was before

When i got shenmue II i was really bummed there was no english VO and at 11 i couldn't stand to read subtitles throughout the whole game but by the end of it i'm pretty sure i become more engrossed within the game as a result of not being subjected to the english VO
blacktorn
Funny Bear Burger Clerk
Funny Bear Burger Clerk

Postby shengoro86 » Wed Jul 01, 2015 2:17 pm

I think Corey is a great actor. He is also a very nice man if you ever speak to him.

I am ecstatic that he is returning at Ryo.

*crosses another successful team campaign off the list.

Now its time for Lisle, Eric, Paul, and Deb.

shengoro86 has received a thanks from: nskachu
shengoro86
Admin - Shenmue500K
Shenmue 500K Staff

PSN: Shengoro86
XBL: Rock Is Sponge
Favorite title: Shenmue IIx
Currently playing: Shenmue III (PC)

Postby blacktorn » Wed Jul 01, 2015 2:35 pm

I'm sure he is nice and maybe it was the script that showed him in more of a bad light than he deserves,head outside of this Dojo and you will not find many who would rate him highly...just saying.
blacktorn
Funny Bear Burger Clerk
Funny Bear Burger Clerk

Postby 0rganiker » Wed Jul 01, 2015 2:47 pm

blacktorn wrote:Well hope he has improved since the last decade and a half,i will be playing with Japanese VO anyway as i for one think corey is terrible at VO.

If you're not even going to use the English VO when you're playing, then it doesn't really matter what your opinion about it is. Plenty of people loved the English VO, thought Corey did a good job, and even ended up endeared toward the less quality voice acting for the less prominent characters. I mean, caring what you think on this matter would be like listening to some fervent Apple fanatic (who doesn't have a pc) talk about PCs. Why would anyone listen to him? Why would anyone listen to you?

...Well, that came off as more extreme than I hoped for. I just didn't have any problem playing through the English VO and I think most people who love the Japanese VO don't speak japanese, so they wouldn't even be able to tell if the VO was shit. Not because they have any ability to compare the two objectively.
0rganiker
Funny Bear Burger Clerk
Funny Bear Burger Clerk

Postby Mitsuzuki » Wed Jul 01, 2015 3:27 pm

If I remember correctly, Corey and many of the other English-speaking voice actors were asked to give their lines with a specific delivery which may have come off sounding a bit stiff.

If that was the case, I'm hoping a more natural delivery will be encouraged for Shenmue III. For me, Corey's voice in itself is a natural fit for Ryo.

Mitsuzuki has received a thanks from: Anthony817
Mitsuzuki
Alpha Trading Boss
Alpha Trading Boss

Currently playing: Deep in the Destiny hole

Postby Anthony817 » Wed Jul 01, 2015 3:48 pm

Yeah, it was said in interviews Sega emphasized to him to make his voice sound flat. They wanted it to sound that way.

Besides, with modern HDD space I am pretty sure we will now get both VO's so both camps are happy and taken care of. Bashing the man because of his performance doesn't help our cause any more. Yu-San actually disused this when he was asked about it and he said he is thinking of trying to do it since westerners did get both VO'S.

I actually hope it is this way so as many of us are happy as possible.
Anthony817
Man Mo Acolyte
Man Mo Acolyte

Steam: Anthony817
Favorite title: Shenmue II
Currently playing: Shenmue II English 99min

Postby rome » Wed Jul 01, 2015 4:00 pm

Well it seems they wanted to get this settled fairly quickly, and I'm glad they did.

YS wanted him back, the fan's wanted him back. Great move, as I'm a big continuity believer.

rome has received a thanks from: Anthony817
rome
Machine Gun Fist
Machine Gun Fist

Favorite title: Shenmue
Currently playing: Shenmue II

Postby redline » Wed Jul 01, 2015 5:27 pm

corey marshall is a great guy & he was great in S1 but now i really hope they will add a japanese voice/english subs option to S3.

its hard to explain but when i played shenmue2 on the Dreamcast with japanese voices, it just added another dimension to the shenmue world and it also made the game seem more adult.

all you have to do is compare the 2

english
https://youtu.be/C4XdBLUtpzY?t=18m48s

japanese
https://youtu.be/WoclBKbi9No?t=12m2s
redline
"After Burner...Great!"
"After Burner...Great!"

Postby Kashola » Wed Jul 01, 2015 6:11 pm

Well I for one am happy Corey is doing the VO. As for concerns over the quality of VO, I believe any concerns over the performance in Shenmue I & 2 were due to voice direction.. probably. From what I've heard/read of voice direction of Japanese made games of the era the directors didn't really know what they were doing to make the line reading sound organic for the English speaking audience.

With all that being said, Shenmue III could be made with Dreamcast era graphics and Tom level of VO and I would still be all for it lol.

Kashola has received a thanks from: Anthony817
Kashola
Fuku-san
Fuku-san

Currently playing: Shenmue 1

Postby Ziming » Wed Jul 01, 2015 11:07 pm

Yu Suzuki just retweeted Peter's tweet about bringing Deb Rabbai back to play as Shenhua.

https://twitter.com/yu_suzuki_jp

Deb dropped by our forums back in 2011 to recount her experience doing Shenhua's voice.

viewtopic.php?f=3&t=43344&start=15#p947394

Ziming has received a thanks from: Anthony817
Ziming
Banned
Banned

Postby Snakiest » Wed Jul 01, 2015 11:28 pm

I liked his voice a lot. I am a bit biased against Japanese voice overs these days as they sound so fake to me after living in the country for 6 years. Nobody speaks here like that - it is all over acted and exaggerated. I did like the Japanese voice of Ryo, though, but I still think he sounds like any other character of that stereotype in Japanese. And that is nothing even remotely what young people of Ryo's age sound here. Surprisingly, I enjoyed it a lot more before learning Japanese and moving here. Mysterious orient, eh. -)

In Yu we trust.
Snakiest
Master of the Three Blades
Master of the Three Blades

Postby James Brown » Thu Jul 02, 2015 10:30 am

Ziming wrote: Yu Suzuki just retweeted Peter's tweet about bringing Deb Rabbai back to play as Shenhua.

https://twitter.com/yu_suzuki_jp

Deb dropped by our forums back in 2011 to recount her experience doing Shenhua's voice.

viewtopic.php?f=3&t=43344&start=15#p947394

Did she do Shenhua in both games? - as I feel like I remember thinking at the time they had a different voice actress for Shenmue 2 xbox, sounded alot more high pitched.

This is still great though, any old cast members continuing the voice we already know and love will be a massive bonus for me :)
James Brown
"After Burner...Great!"
"After Burner...Great!"

XBL: skilljimmeh

Postby Ziming » Thu Jul 02, 2015 10:44 am

James Brown wrote:
Ziming wrote:

Did she do Shenhua in both games? - as I feel like I remember thinking at the time they had a different voice actress for Shenmue 2 xbox, sounded alot more high pitched.

Deb only voiced Shenhua in the first game. They chose a different actress to voice the role in the second game.
Ziming
Banned
Banned

Postby Henry Spencer » Thu Jul 02, 2015 1:09 pm

Woah. That'd be awesome if they got her back, she was much better than the lady they got to play Shenhua in Shenmue 2, imo.
Henry Spencer
Let's go Catherine!
Shenmue III

PSN: harryangel666
XBL: Magiking
Currently playing: Yakuza Kiwami/Zelda: BOTW

Postby Miles Prower » Thu Jul 02, 2015 1:12 pm

Ziming wrote:
James Brown wrote:
Ziming wrote:

Deb only voiced Shenhua in the first game. They chose a different actress to voice the role in the second game.

Yeah in S2 she was voiced by Akasha Scholen, who also did Wong's voice. Listening back to Deb's (brief) performance in S1, I think I'd prefer her to return, if possible...
Miles Prower
"Keep Friends"
"Keep Friends"

XBL: sppeac1987
Favorite title: Shenmue II

PreviousNext

Return to News and Updates