Yu Suzuki has confirmed PayPal funding Post-Kickstarter

(Latest news & updates on the series)

Moderator: News Poster/Veteran Contributor

Re: Yu Suzuki has confirmed PayPal funding Post-Kickstarter

Postby DEVILLE_David » Sat Jul 18, 2015 11:51 am

Great news.

I am sure we will reach 10 millions or even more if they keep accepting donations through paypal during the development.
DEVILLE_David
Man Mo Acolyte
Man Mo Acolyte

PSN: RavanaEX
Favorite title: Shenmue II
Currently playing: God of War

Postby japalp » Sat Jul 18, 2015 12:13 pm

My only concern with PayPal is that it could continue to push out the release date of the game because of the uncertainty of how much will be available. December 2017 is already far away and if they keep adding extra things because of more funding, it could push that date way back. We've waited long enough.

It is a delicate balance to decide how much goes into the game so they can release it.
japalp
Dojo Actuary
Funny Bear Burger Clerk

Favorite title: Shenmue IIx
Currently playing: Breath of the Wild

Postby danny » Sat Jul 18, 2015 12:25 pm

Last edited by danny on Sun Jul 19, 2015 10:59 am, edited 1 time in total.
danny
Master of the Three Blades

Postby Yokosuka Martian » Sat Jul 18, 2015 12:27 pm

If they get an overwhelming amount of donations, perhaps they can use some of those funds for Shenmue 4's development
Yokosuka Martian
"After Burner...Great!"
"After Burner...Great!"

PSN: MarcinTheMartian
XBL: YokosukaMartian
Favorite title: Shenmue
Currently playing: ..Uhh Shenmue

Postby danny » Sat Jul 18, 2015 12:35 pm

Last edited by danny on Sun Jul 19, 2015 10:44 am, edited 1 time in total.
danny

Postby TheThirdComing » Sat Jul 18, 2015 1:02 pm

I ran out of money this month but I'd be more than happy to pay for an extra digital version later on :)
TheThirdComing

Postby danny » Sat Jul 18, 2015 1:15 pm

Last edited by danny on Sun Jul 19, 2015 10:47 am, edited 1 time in total.

danny has received a thanks from: FlagshipFighter
danny

Postby EdenSB » Sat Jul 18, 2015 1:48 pm

Snakiest wrote: I'm not familiar with how PayPal donations work, but I do hope they have an indicator of how much they have collected and how much more they need. I hear Star Citizen got around 85 mln dollars like that, which is a ridiculous some of money.

The way that Toejam and Earl: Back in the Groove did it was they sent an update when they hit the next stretch goal through Paypal funding. No tracking of the current level of funding though. They only hit one more goal, so obviously quite a bit less funding that Star Citizen got.

Perhaps they'll use a similar method.
EdenSB
Asia Travel Representative

Postby Shenmuehua » Sat Jul 18, 2015 3:12 pm

japalp wrote: My only concern with PayPal is that it could continue to push out the release date of the game because of the uncertainty of how much will be available. December 2017 is already far away and if they keep adding extra things because of more funding, it could push that date way back. We've waited long enough.

It is a delicate balance to decide how much goes into the game so they can release it.

Despite the KS which is difficult to guess/calculate how much it will increase because on a small period and subject of hype, news, last hours etc..., maybe with Paypal after few months they will be able to make an average of how much they can raise every month until March 2017 for example.

Then by the end of this year, they will approximatevely know the amount for 1 year and a half of raising money through Paypal.

However, I m not so optimistic concerning the total amount anf if we can make it to 8-8.5M it will be great. The system is not at all the same as Star Citizen, Paypal is only on official site, less publicity(2.5years is long unless the community does things too, which I m pretty sure^^), based on core fans etc... That s why, we shouldn t be expecting reaching 20Millions dollars. Maybe I m wrong on this one, I hope I am in fact.
Shenmuehua

PSN: Shenmuehua
XBL: Shenmuehua
Steam: Shenmuehua
Currently playing: Shenmue

Postby 0rganiker » Sat Jul 18, 2015 4:21 pm

It was a good move on their part to delay the announcement. If Paypal was an option, a lot of people would probably say to themselves, "I'll donate later" and they probably wouldn't. Having paypal during the campaign would remove any sense of urgency.

The problem with this is that we really really need to attract new fans, and one way to do so is to keep Shenmue in the news. All these broken records did just that.
0rganiker
Funny Bear Burger Clerk
Funny Bear Burger Clerk

Postby blacktorn » Sat Jul 18, 2015 8:12 pm

japalp wrote: My only concern with PayPal is that it could continue to push out the release date of the game because of the uncertainty of how much will be available. December 2017 is already far away and if they keep adding extra things because of more funding, it could push that date way back. We've waited long enough.

My idea was that after a few months of seeing how much was coming in through paypal they would begin working on the higher tier goals before they even get the entire funds to do so...the money needed to make this game is what is needed to pay the developers over a period of 2 1/2 years+ so it doesn't seem impossible they would begin working on shenmue III with the notion they would actually receive $10 million let's say in a year from now.

At least this is what i hope they plan to do,i can't see how they will work on each goal just as soon as those funds come in it would make development of the title a disaster,i mean look at star citizen,they have broken up development of each part of that game separate and trying to integrate them into one game at different times and it's becoming a mess!
blacktorn
Funny Bear Burger Clerk
Funny Bear Burger Clerk

Postby Nankeiro » Sun Jul 19, 2015 12:28 am

This is a great option to keep or add people to this wonderful cause.
Nankeiro

Postby laagi » Sun Jul 19, 2015 6:22 am

Interesting news... However still no update or link on their KS site. I've also asked them about keeping the rewards open after the KS campaign finsihed. Unfortunately they haven't decided yet.

I would definitely add more ca$h to it if I could get one of those higher rewards. Let's say the Yu Suzuki dinner :lol: Better start saving now!

At least we made it, Big thanks to all the contributors! Dreams do come true.
laagi
Funny Bear Burger Clerk
Funny Bear Burger Clerk

Postby simsatit » Sun Jul 19, 2015 7:28 am

I will donate a monthly 5 dollars untill the Paypal funding closes..
It is not much but i do not have much, maybe some months i will increase when possible, e.g. to max 25, if everyone would do that we will reach 11 mill i am sure!!

will of the ancients

-sona mi areru ec sancitu-
simsatit

Postby Supa » Sun Jul 19, 2015 8:03 pm

We made over half of Yu Suzuki's dream budget for Shenmue III. If we have PayPal open for another six months, I think we could reach that $11 million, or more if the stretch goals truly go on.

I do hope they have a counter, though. On the plus side, there will be no Kickstarter fees to come out of our donations now! Meaning, more of every dollar goes into development.
Supa
"Keep Friends"
"Keep Friends"

PreviousNext

Return to News and Updates