Yu Suzuki interview by Shenmue Dojo & Team Yu (MAGIC 2016)

(Latest news & updates on the series)

Moderator: News Poster/Veteran Contributor

Re: Yu Suzuki interview by Shenmue Dojo & Team Yu (MAGIC 201

Postby FlagshipFighter » Wed Apr 06, 2016 2:13 am

Mugen wrote:Not extremely happy with all answers but at least we got some answers. Great questions, I've wondered about several of those topics for a long time. Thanks!

Let me guess, it was the font response, right? XD

I did begin to appreciate what he wanted out of the new font (standalone letters) but perhaps that could be achieved by modifying the original. Does anyone think Yu would be open to checking out fans like me designing font/logo concepts?

As for loading, i hope Yu includes it where he can (E.g when first loading up the game). While i won't be upset or anything crazy like that, it is an important semantic quality that helps give context to the world. It's unlike a feeling in any other game really because you'll look at the time and if it's 6pm you'll respond to what you do / activities with that in mind.

On another note though, he better include that 7pm nightfall tune, that would be sacrilege! XD On the subject of this, I'm sure all of us are super happy to hear that he has a wealth of music at his disposable, i certainly am! :-)

I'm happy to hear how the project is going, Yu has utter discipline and conviction.
shengoro86 wrote:Fantastic interview! Was happy to see my scroll response being included <3

:-) it was so great of Shenmue Dojo and Team Yu to do this! It was great to read everyone's perspective and POV on how much this game means to them. It means so much to me

I am so fortunate to have played this game! When I've ever this game to others, they can't quite comprehend how unique and brilliant this is, they just imagine an old 3rd person game.

My nephew (17) basically grew up with me rambling how awesome this was and how it's tragic that we will never get a third. He never understood just by looking at the game + watching Shen1 movie how significant it was. He only ever heard the soundtrack i use to play and he liked it too (in fact, everyone i know who's ever heard shenmue soundtrack has liked it).

But then eventually (years later) he decided to see youtube playthrough around the time of kickstarter buzz and ended up watching the whole thing for 1 and 2. He completely understood the game's significance and explained how the whole thing was unlike anything else and was total bliss. He even bought a jacket with one of the wudes on the back!

It's sooo magnificent to me how a game like this can still captivate and instill a sense of wonder for a new generation many years later. And that was just watching someone else play with no narration! :-O

Pacing is important to making the world of shenmue alive and it is also why i believe many other things such as avatar: the last airbender works (and how it's adaptation to a movie could never work or have the same impact).

When on a little too long there, apologies that's shenmue for ya! XD Even more hyped after this interview and that it's still a real thing that's happening (especially when reading the unfortunate failure of the rock band campaign today, it only achieved half of its 1.5 million target in 30 days, where shenmue blasted through that in within 2 hours! Greatfull for that!)

Again, than Yu and you all for your support and efforts. Now back to getting sweaty with the game of life!

FlagshipFighter has received a thanks from: Mugen
FlagshipFighter
Alpha Trading Boss
Alpha Trading Boss

PSN: FlagshipFighter
XBL: FlagshipFighter
Steam: FlagshipFighter
Favorite title: Shenmue IIx

Postby SledgeNE » Wed Apr 06, 2016 2:43 am

Thank you very much for this fantastic interview! :D

I can't wait for the day of Release. :heart:
SledgeNE
Master of the Three Blades
Master of the Three Blades

Favorite title: Shenmue II
Currently playing: Preparing for Shenmue III

Postby iyapol » Wed Apr 06, 2016 3:47 am

iyapol wrote:
Spaghetti wrote: I get why he's using the new font on early promotional materials now that it's been explained but... please, not papyrus!

This.

I wonder if Yu actually knows how bad the new font looks to a Western audience? For instance, I wouldn't know if something written in Japanese looked good or bad. Perhaps someone close to Yu (Cedric *cough*) could give him a little nudge?

If it's a readability problem - Western kids not being able to read joined-up writing (first I've heard of that) - then why not just keep the original logo and seperate the letters?

Come on, Yu. Sort it out! The original logo is iconic.
iyapol
Man Mo Acolyte
Man Mo Acolyte

Postby SMDzero » Wed Apr 06, 2016 4:19 am

Well I for one am GLAD that the new logo won't be in cursive... I know I am too ignorant to read cursive and I suspect most other people are too.

Nobody bothers to write anything by hand anymore so our collective (and profound) ignorance here is completely justified.

Furthermore, I expect Suzuki to make Shenmue 3 more accessible to a mainstream ignorant audience by dumbing everything down.

I basically want to turn off my brain when I play Shenmue 3 and mindlessly play like a zombie!

Can't wait!!!! :-"
SMDzero
Banned
Banned

Postby Yokosuka » Wed Apr 06, 2016 4:27 am

iyapol wrote:If it's a readability problem - Western kids not being able to read joined-up writing (first I've heard of that) - then why not just keep the original logo and seperate the letters?

The Papyrus logo looks actually like a convenient attempt to make the original one separated. They might wait the work of a professional designer to do a proper conversion/new version before the first official trailer.

The original logo was deeply significant to me but if that's his will, I can deal with it. This part explains it well:
With the word being unfamiliar to all other languages, perhaps at least making it more easily readable is an important step to avoid premature dismissal by casual browsers of game store shelves.

It's not really a question of readability but fast-readability and easy-memorizing. YSnet have probably been advised by Sony or another marketing expert while Yu wants to do everything in his power to prevent Shenmue III from poor sales.
Yokosuka
Machine Gun Fist
Machine Gun Fist

Currently playing: Rocket League

Postby Kiske » Wed Apr 06, 2016 7:56 am

Yokosuka wrote:
iyapol wrote:If it's a readability problem - Western kids not being able to read joined-up writing (first I've heard of that) - then why not just keep the original logo and seperate the letters?

The Papyrus logo looks actually like a convenient attempt to make the original one separated. They might wait the work of a professional designer to do a proper conversion/new version before the first official trailer.

The original logo was deeply significant to me but if that's his will, I can deal with it. This part explains it well:
With the word being unfamiliar to all other languages, perhaps at least making it more easily readable is an important step to avoid premature dismissal by casual browsers of game store shelves.

It's not really a question of readability but fast-readability and easy-memorizing. YSnet have probably been advised by Sony or another marketing expert while Yu wants to do everything in his power to prevent Shenmue III from poor sales.

I agree with your analysis.
But there must be a different way to make the word S-h-e-n-m-u-e more readable.
It's just my personal opinion... I can't stand the papyrus font, especiallly versus the original one. :???:

I don't say the last font is better than the papyrus but only that it take 5 minutes to do something playing around with a standard font set.

Anyway, if that the only thing we have to "complain about" by the end of the development, I'm more than happy :mrgreen:

Kiske has received 3 thanks from: Amir, FlagshipFighter, James Brown
Kiske
News Poster
News Poster

PSN: KosiKosa

Postby Peter » Wed Apr 06, 2016 10:49 am

I accept that's what the logo will be. Regardless of opinion, if that's what Yu feels then who am I to tell him he is wrong. I'm just happy Shenmue 3 will appear on the front of the box. Some people feel the need to begin a revolution every time a decision is made that they disagree with.

That being said, if I was given the option between the 2 logos, of course I would select the original Shenmue font all day long. The new font.... I have different reasons for not liking it. I believe it to be a very lazy option to take. The reason? Well before I left Belfast, I was typing up the questions for the interview and then wanted to design a cover page for the document (I was printing out a hard copy for myself and James). So I was fooling around with font styles on Word and I was shocked to see that the logo is a MS Word font. Not one like it, not one similar to it. It is the actual Bradley Hand ITC font from Word. Here, I just opened up Word in work and did this example in 2 seconds:

What annoys me about this, is that it's as if they have just flicked through fonts and decided, "Oh, that will do". Even something that stinks of a lazy AJ idea, but we know that's not the case. Either way, I am not getting caught up on it. I have mellowed out since Yu defended the logo. If he feels that it will appeal me to a greater audience then so be it. He is in a better position to have came to that conclusion than I have. He has my complete trust with this game, end of story.

Also thank you to everyone for the kind words about the interview. It was hard to keep it a secret for so long, ever since that Friday night when I received the message from Ziming, followed by David Villeroy. It was an unreal experience, from beginning to end. Thank you James for the fantastic write up.

I can't end this without taking a bit of time to sincerely thank David, and all the guys from ShenmueMaster.fr. I can't stress enough how this really would not have been possible without them. All of this, is a result of them reaching out to us, concepting the idea, organising it all, from press access to interview slot time, helping out with advice and question guidelines, and of course, even taking care of all video and picture capture of the day. I can't say enough how this would not have happened without them, and I still owe them more than a round of Guinness to say thank you.

Peter has received 7 thanks from: FlagshipFighter, iyapol, James Brown, Kiske, Mugen, Shendream, Ziming
Peter
Shenmue Dojo Owner
Shenmue III

PSN: TheGasmeter
Currently playing: Shenmue 2x

Postby Mugen » Wed Apr 06, 2016 1:17 pm

FlagshipFighter wrote:

I did begin to appreciate what he wanted out of the new font (standalone letters) but perhaps that could be achieved by modifying the original. Does anyone think Yu would be open to checking out fans like me designing font/logo concepts?

Yeah, I am in agreement with many others in this thread. The original logo is much better and iconic. I was even hoping for a similar cover as for Shenmue 1&2 with the katakana (as in the Shenmuedojo header above) above the "proper" logo. Who cares about readability when so many game titles are not even proper words/spelling/language anyway (Adr1ft, VVVVVV, Q.U.B.E., N++, Galak-Z, Run/r, Infinite Undiscovery, etc.).

I have also vented my anger against the post-Kickstarter campaigns before. Their strange decision to not have the KS-rewards also for the slacker-backers despite the results of their polls. Much worse is the continued lack of PC-version for slacker-backers, imho the most important question they asked. Very grateful they brought it up.

Mugen has received a thanks from: FlagshipFighter
Mugen
Asia Travel Representative
Asia Travel Representative

Steam: Mugen084
Currently playing: Yakuza 2

Postby FlagshipFighter » Wed Apr 06, 2016 1:42 pm

Mugen wrote:
FlagshipFighter wrote:

Yeah, I am in agreement with many others in this thread. The original logo is much better and iconic. I was even hoping for a similar cover as for Shenmue 1&2 with the katakana (as in the Shenmuedojo header above) above the "proper" logo. Who cares about readability when so many game titles are not even proper words/spelling/language anyway (Adr1ft, VVVVVV, Q.U.B.E., N++, Galak-Z, Run/r, Infinite Undiscovery, etc.).

I have also vented my anger against the post-Kickstarter campaigns before. Their strange decision to not have the KS-rewards also for the slacker-backers despite the results of their polls. Much worse is the continued lack of PC-version for slacker-backers, this was imho the most important question they asked. Very grateful that this was asked.

Agreed, i mean i understand his concern and decision now and it is the smart thing to do from a design perspective. You see all sorts of companies do this all the time to improve readability (e.g. Sony with playstation 3 to PS3 font and recently Google too) but yeah i don't think his current logo is adequate atm.

I suppose he has a lot on his, he can worry about the details of these things closer to when making the marketing push.

But maybe it would be nice if for the backers that they stick with the original and to change it for retail? Same with boxart too.

And yeah the exclusion of the pc version on the slacker backer is the reason i have yet to back it for a second time :-( i bet they would see a big resurgence if they managed to add it, especially for the Chinese kickstarter.

On a more upbeat note: i really like Yu's idea of making QTE's harder for high success rate players.

Sent from my C6603 using Tapatalk

FlagshipFighter has received a thanks from: Kiske
FlagshipFighter
Alpha Trading Boss
Alpha Trading Boss

PSN: FlagshipFighter
XBL: FlagshipFighter
Steam: FlagshipFighter

Postby Let's Get Sweaty » Wed Apr 06, 2016 4:56 pm

I can only echo Peter's comments about the guys at Shenmue Master. A great bunch of people who were the driving force behind this interview coming to fruition. The experience that they have gained through their own initiative made it possible for a pair of nitwits like us to find ourselves in that position. Standing on the shoulders of giants, and all that.

Thank you everyone for the wonderful reception on here, as well as on YouTube and elsewhere. Every evening and weekend since returning from Monaco went into producing that video, learning the software as I went along, so it's a relief to hear that it passes muster. The part that matters most to me is the "Easter egg," so to see the response that's gotten in particular has made it all worthwhile.

Same time next year, Peter? :spinnn:

By the way, if any of you don't have a Peter, go out and get one. They're brilliant.

Let's Get Sweaty has received 2 thanks from: FlagshipFighter, Shendream
Let's Get Sweaty
Machine Gun Fist
Machine Gun Fist

Currently playing: truant

Postby Amir » Wed Apr 06, 2016 7:04 pm

Something like this would be much more "classy", to use a Trumpism:

Source: http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showpost.ph ... count=4125

I can see the joined up "n" and "m" in the original logo being hard-to-read for youngsters and newcomers, and a design like this is much more legible without resorting to Papyrus or Bradley Hand ITC.

Amir has received 2 thanks from: iyapol, James Brown
Amir
"After Burner...Great!"
"After Burner...Great!"

Steam: AmirMoosavi
Currently playing: Vanquish (PC)

Postby James Brown » Wed Apr 06, 2016 9:42 pm

Amir wrote: Something like this would be much more "classy", to use a Trumpism:

Source: http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showpost.ph ... count=4125

I can see the joined up "n" and "m" in the original logo being hard-to-read for youngsters and newcomers, and a design like this is much more legible without resorting to Papyrus or Bradley Hand ITC.

I like it, if that was my exclusive backer sleeve, I wouldn't complain :)
James Brown
"After Burner...Great!"
"After Burner...Great!"

XBL: skilljimmeh
Favorite title: Shenmue

Postby Spaghetti » Thu Apr 07, 2016 2:51 am

I halfway understand why Yu wants to separate the letters but... I was 8 years old when the first Shenmue game came out and I read the logo perfectly. Things can't have changed that much.

Spaghetti has received a thanks from: Mugen
Spaghetti
Machine Gun Fist
Machine Gun Fist

Postby iyapol » Thu Apr 07, 2016 3:28 am

A bit of an embarrassing find that, Peter. Surely a $6 million Kickstarter campaign deserves better than a Microsoft Word font?

I don't think people are looking to start a revolution because they don't like the proposed logo - video game Kickstarters are unique in that any backer is well within their right to voice their opinion. In essence, they become a shareholder. And if that voice gets louder, the developer should, at least, acknowledge that some backers are unhappy.

I think it's the S that I personally don't like - it looks like Dou Niu's been sat on it. The original S is iconic.

Amir - I like it. Very Lord of the Rings. Would still prefer the original, though!

iyapol has received a thanks from: Mugen
iyapol
Man Mo Acolyte
Man Mo Acolyte

Postby SMDzero » Thu Apr 07, 2016 4:01 am

What Peter should have said during the interview with Yu after hearing about the crap Shenmue 3 font:

SMDzero
Banned
Banned

PreviousNext

Return to News and Updates