Technical Issues

(Latest news, updates & questions about the site)

Re: Last post/Debate forum/KiBa/Custom titles/Forum discrep/

Postby Crimson Ryan » Wed Jul 07, 2010 4:16 pm

Biohaze uses the same last post icon for latest posts. Hope it won't be too long until a proper shortcut is implemented..
Crimson Ryan
Mac Tonight
Shenmue III

Postby Yama » Wed Jul 07, 2010 9:52 pm

LawXiu wrote:There's normally a tick box to add it in the admin panel. It's a five minute job but I doubt Yama will change it as it was mentioned at the start of this thread already.

No, it's not a tick box nor is it a five minute thing. Stop trying to make it seem like something I'm just breezing over for the sake of it. I haven't done that yet, why would I now. You'd have to mod it in.

Piss poor design, I agree. But sadly it's a phpbb3 standard, not something any of us chose.
LawXiu wrote:I don't know if you've missed chapter 2 or if chapter 2 was the boat story that wasn't in the game.

Chapter 2 is included in Shenmue IIx as a comic, so it's better suited for the S2 forum if any.
Yama
Shenmue Dojo Owner
Shenmue Dojo Owner

PSN: YamaMX
Favorite title: Shenmue

Postby Mr. Rod » Wed Jul 07, 2010 10:29 pm

Crimson Ryan wrote:Biohaze uses the same last post icon for latest posts. Hope it won't be too long until a proper shortcut is implemented..

It's phpBB3's standard, nothing we change (unless we do some heavy modifications, but I don't think it's really worth it IMHO).
Mr. Rod
Mr. Fishing Rod
Shenmue Dojo Coder

PSN: Mister_RROD
XBL: Mister RROD

Postby Mr. Rod » Wed Jul 07, 2010 10:43 pm

LawXiu wrote:There's normally a tick box to add it in the admin panel. It's a five minute job but I doubt Yama will change it as it was mentioned at the start of this thread already.

Admin panel tick box, five minutes job? What on earth are you talking about? :lol: First of all, this isn't even handled through the admin panel (except purging the cache to update the changes) it's done by style modification, if you can come up with a five minutes mod like that drop me a PM. :nice!:
Mr. Rod
Mr. Fishing Rod
Shenmue Dojo Coder

Postby Crimson Ryan » Thu Jul 08, 2010 8:11 am

Mr. Rod wrote:It's phpBB3's standard, nothing we change (unless we do some heavy modifications, but I don't think it's really worth it IMHO).

phpB have made some messed up decisions from their old software, haven't they? :|

Mr. Rod wrote:

Admin panel tick box, five minutes job? What on earth are you talking about? :lol: First of all, this isn't even handled through the admin panel (except purging the cache to update the changes) it's done by style modification, if you can come up with a five minutes mod like that drop me a PM. :nice!:

He's in a good position to know being an admin of his own Yakuza site (sig), albeit different forum software. Are there any development forums at phpBB3's official forums? Must be mods and stuff people have made their. Or there used to be a coding site called Hot Scripts.
Crimson Ryan
Mac Tonight
Shenmue III

Postby Bluecast » Thu Jul 08, 2010 1:12 pm

phpbb3 is a big improvement to 2 in many ways but yes it made a couple wierd choices as default.
As i said in the other topic in the old HD bysby had to make his own mod for it. the newer HD the issue was never solved.

It should be a simple fix but apparently it's a real pain in the ass to fix,so just give it time.
Bluecast
Jean Valjean
Banned

PSN: Ryudoadam
XBL: Dogi99
Nintendo FC: Segata
Steam: Ryudo2k9
Currently playing: Some weeb game as always.

Postby LawXiu » Thu Jul 08, 2010 1:46 pm

Yama wrote:

No, it's not a tick box nor is it a five minute thing. Stop trying to make it seem like something I'm just breezing over for the sake of it. I haven't done that yet, why would I now. You'd have to mod it in.

Well there's a tick box in the admin panel I use, it's called last post display set... on/off. I haven't seen your admin panel and if you read my post again you will see I was implying that you had your reasons for not doing it.

Mr. Rod wrote:

=D> Well aren't you a clever boy.

You'll see in my reply to Yama that actually I do have some idea of how forums work. Actually there was a couple of occasions I tried to point Ryudo in the right direction back in the old dojo.
LawXiu
"After Burner...Great!"
"After Burner...Great!"

Favorite title: Shenmue II

Postby Yama » Thu Jul 08, 2010 2:18 pm

LawXiu wrote: Well there's a tick box in the admin panel I use, it's called last post display set... on/off. I haven't seen your admin panel and if you read my post again you will see I was implying that you had your reasons for not doing it.

Really? I noticed it on the Yakuza forum of yours, would be nice if that was a phpbb3 default. It really should be.

Which version are you running btw?
Yama
Shenmue Dojo Owner
Shenmue Dojo Owner

PSN: YamaMX

Postby LawXiu » Thu Jul 08, 2010 2:58 pm

It's phpbb but it doesn't actually state anywhere a version number. When I started it I knew nothing about forums and it took me about a week to find that tick box because the admin panel is so big.

"Show the last topic titles on index :" Knew it was something along those lines.
Staff edit-just removing the pic for your own good. Never show a pic with "sid" in the link for your own online safety.
LawXiu
"After Burner...Great!"
"After Burner...Great!"

Postby Bluecast » Thu Jul 08, 2010 7:53 pm

^ never show a pic in public when you have "sid" in the link. Don't ask me the details but I was told it's a security thing for jerkwads to take advantage of.

Bluecast
Jean Valjean
Banned

PSN: Ryudoadam
XBL: Dogi99
Nintendo FC: Segata
Steam: Ryudo2k9
Currently playing: Some weeb game as always.

Postby Mr. Rod » Thu Jul 08, 2010 10:53 pm

LawXiu wrote: =D> Well aren't you a clever boy.

I know, right? :biglaugh:

LawXiu wrote:You'll see in my reply to Yama that actually I do have some idea of how forums work. Actually there was a couple of occasions I tried to point Ryudo in the right direction back in the old dojo.

Never questioned that, but I think we've mentioned it a lot of times that said feature you are showing (Ryudo is right btw, remove the sid! lol) is not on phpBB3, that's why it needs a style and AdminCP modification because they removed it. I saw you insisting it was as easy as clicking some button and we were stubborn for not doing it, which is not the case. Looking at the picture, I recognise phpBB2's interface...

So, are we all on the same page now? :P
Mr. Rod
Mr. Fishing Rod
Shenmue Dojo Coder

Postby Crimson Ryan » Fri Jul 09, 2010 7:29 am

I forwarded a mod I found to Yama. I don't understand it, I just followed Google but hope it helps..
Crimson Ryan
Mac Tonight
Shenmue III

Postby LawXiu » Fri Jul 09, 2010 2:24 pm

Mr. Rod wrote: I saw you insisting it was as easy as clicking some button and we were stubborn for not doing it

That's not what I meant at all and I've already explained that. I knew there could be reason for it not changing. If I thought it was stubbornness I would have made that very clear.
LawXiu
"After Burner...Great!"
"After Burner...Great!"

Postby Mr. Rod » Fri Jul 09, 2010 6:53 pm

Well, it sure seemed like that to me, but anyway it's not a big deal. Crimson Ryan sent one to Yama and we'll see if that's the right mod and when/if we can implement it to the boards. Will keep you updated. :tup:

Edit: BTW, I don't know why I never mentioned this since I use it in other forums, but isn't one of these two the same function?

Active Topics | New posts
Mr. Rod
Mr. Fishing Rod
Shenmue Dojo Coder

Postby Crimson Ryan » Tue Jul 13, 2010 3:17 pm

Can the top logo have a link to the main SD page instead of the forum index?

(Also please, offsite links fix!)
Crimson Ryan
Mac Tonight
Shenmue III

PreviousNext

Return to Shenmue Dojo