New Shenmue Dojo

(Latest news, updates & questions about the site)

New Shenmue Dojo

Postby Yama » Thu Mar 15, 2018 4:46 pm

Hey everyone,

I'm excited to announce that the Dojo will be moving forward starting today and into new hands. Congratulations to Peter, a dedicated member willing to put Shenmue first at all costs. This has been in the works for quite some time and I have 110% faith and comfort in this decision. I'll remain an administrator and contribute more freely going forward, however he will be leading the overall project from here on out.

I want to be clear when I say in no way is the original vision from when I took over Shenmue Dojo changing, but instead being built upon. There's no brighter time to do so than now. When I originally took the site over, Shenmue was in a dark place but I pushed to make the site Shenmue centric again in hopes of the series regaining relevance. I believe that challenge was achieved, however now with Shenmue at the literal forefront thanks to Shenmue III, it's time for the site to move forward along with the series.

For the sake of transparency, I'd like to be clear on why I'm doing this. In no way is it a lack of passion, my heart has always been with Shenmue and still is. I've since however created my own business that has consumed every second of my time and then some, so while that goal was achieved and I'm thankful for it, I believe Shenmue Dojo deserves more time than I'm able to dedicate. It's with a heavy heart I'm doing this, but the passion Peter has shown for the project filled it with joy and excitement.

Over the past year or so I did work on a new site. The idea was to be a mobile first, responsive site and bring things up to date with a central focus on community, social integrations and the like.

With a site as historic as Shenmue Dojo, it's tough to pull the trigger on anything quickly or without heavy consideration. While this will likely just end up as inspiration or a base for the future project at this point, I fully support Peter and the rest of our teams ideas going forward. Having so many working iterations to brainstorm with, the future will only benefit from it and with Shenmue III nearing, it'll be perfect timing.

I ask that everyone approaches the new leadership with respect and the willingness to think outside of the box. Please trust that the entire team, not just myself or Peter, is leading with our heart and has the best interest of Shenmue at the forefront of our minds every step of the way.

Thank you for all of the support over the years, I really do love and cherish the relationships I've built here.

Take care.
Yama

Yama
Shenmue Dojo Owner
Shenmue Dojo Owner

PSN: YamaMX
Favorite title: Shenmue

Re: New Shenmue Dojo

Postby Jibby » Thu Mar 15, 2018 4:53 pm

Excited to see what the future holds!

Jibby has received a thanks from: Yama
Jibby
I see.
Alpha Trading Boss

Favorite title: Shenmue II

Postby b_ren » Thu Mar 15, 2018 4:54 pm

Well done Peter, happy for you. The Dojo is in good hands that's for sure. All the best and good luck!
b_ren
of Heavens
Machine Gun Fist

Postby Let's Get Sweaty » Thu Mar 15, 2018 4:57 pm

Thank you for what you've done for the site Yama, both in the last few years and today. From what I gather you came along at the time time for the Dojo, and you've continued to make good choices during this handover. The community here owes you a lot.

Congratulations Peter, the future is bright for the Internet's longest running Shenmue fan site and I'm sure you'll have everyone's support in doing what needs to be done. :)

Let's Get Sweaty has received a thanks from: Yama
Let's Get Sweaty
Machine Gun Fist
Machine Gun Fist

Favorite title: Shenmue IIx
Currently playing: truant

Postby FlagshipFighter » Thu Mar 15, 2018 6:55 pm

Thank you for everything Yama, the Dojo has been an important part of every Shenmue fan throughout the years no question, we've discussed/hoped/speculated/prayed for Shemnmue's arrival for so long and we're almost there! Thank you very much for maintaining such an awesome community throughout the years (and a rollercoaster of emotions!).

And welcome Peter, a member who needs no introduction and someone I'm very happy to have seen grow and develop from reading incitefull comments (for over a decade I believe) to watching some great interviews and (of course) being a total arse-head on your twitch streams! :D

I look forward to see you both and more be a part of (what will surely be) one heck of an eventful year ahead here. The community is what sustained Shenmue's relevance at times where the franchise could only be described and felt as moribund, let's ensure we're all heard loudest and clearest for when Shenmue's ready to make it's long anticipated return!

FlagshipFighter has received a thanks from: Yama
FlagshipFighter
Alpha Trading Boss
Alpha Trading Boss

PSN: FlagshipFighter
XBL: FlagshipFighter
Steam: FlagshipFighter
Favorite title: Shenmue IIx

Postby b_ren » Thu Mar 15, 2018 7:19 pm

Forgot to say big thanks to Yama for keeping this site going all these years, especially during the quiet years when shenmue 3 was stuck in development hell. Exciting times for shenmue ahead.
b_ren
of Heavens
Machine Gun Fist

Postby SheepheadCG » Thu Mar 15, 2018 7:32 pm

Thanks so much for keeping the Dojo alive for all these years Yama! It must have been such a hard thing to do when almost all hope was lost... Where would we all be/where would Shenmue 3 be without you and a place where Shenmue Fans can get together and thrive. We are spoiled as a community with so many great and dedicated members (and fan sites in general).

I cannot think of someone better to take over the reigns other than Peter. The way he used to deal with the pointless negative/shitposts here on the Dojo were fair and professional (and as of late, that is something that is 100% needed). With the upcoming influx of Shenmue related news, alongside with this new chapter in the Dojo, I am sure that it is going to be once again, the best place for Shenmue News, Conversation and just an awesome to place to hang out!

Very excited to see what changes appear going forward and I bet it will be nice for you Yama, to be able to have some extra time to post and get involved in the conversation. Your redesign looks awesome and is always something that I always find very hard to do while maintaining the spirit of the original work, (responsive design <3 bootstrap?) and I cannot wait to see how it all turns out. If I can help in anyway when it comes to the website/testing then please let me know.

GL once again Yama, Peter and the other Mods as 2018 is going to be the biggest Shenmue year ever!!
SheepheadCG
Man Mo Acolyte
Man Mo Acolyte

Steam: sheephead100
Currently playing: Starcraft 2

Postby James Brown » Thu Mar 15, 2018 8:23 pm

Peter is totally the best man for the job! Sorry to see you go Yama, but glad to see that you are sticking around at the same time! Best of luck with your business!

The start of a new chapter in the Dojo history :), looking forward to it!
James Brown
"After Burner...Great!"
"After Burner...Great!"

XBL: skilljimmeh

Postby Rakim » Thu Mar 15, 2018 8:26 pm

I'm interested in seeing what Pete does with the place. Good Luck Dewd
Rakim
Machine Gun Fist
Machine Gun Fist

Postby alimn » Thu Mar 15, 2018 8:32 pm

We should all say thank you very much Yama for managing Shenmue Dojo all these years. Hopefully you will be still around sharper than ever just in a new capacity co-managing what's required. Thank you as always.

And special congratulations to Peter for taking over this important task, it will be busy as always but we have no doubt that you can manage it, so best of luck to you and rest of the Shenmue Dojo team under the new evolved format. We are here to support as well.

Looking forward to the contination of the Shenmue family's journey.
alimn
News Poster
News Poster

Postby ShenSun » Thu Mar 15, 2018 9:44 pm

Thanks a million Yama for everything you've done. You've always been such a kool and humble guy and you've done wonders for the dojo.

Congratulations to DJ Peter. He's gonna do great. I have full confidence in him to take the dojo to the next level.
ShenSun
Alpha Trading Boss
Alpha Trading Boss

Postby spud1897 » Fri Mar 16, 2018 2:40 am

Thank you for everything Yama.

You've kept this place alive and we are all very grateful.

I cannot wait to see what comes next. Peter is passionate and has so many good ideas that this is a very exciting time. I was in the last lounge last night and the mass of anticipation shows how highly he is rightly regarded.

Great news and glad to see you're sticking around Yama.
spud1897
News Poster
News Poster

PSN: spud19870
Steam: spud19870
Currently playing: Horizon, Shenmue 2

Postby MiTT3NZ » Fri Mar 16, 2018 4:31 am

That new site overhaul looks ace. Is it still in the works? (The main post wasn't too clear about it) And does this mean we're finally getting emoji support?

Also, top one Peter!
MiTT3NZ
Class A Cunt
Shenmue III

XBL: Mittens2317
Steam: Mittens2317
Currently playing: Football Manager 2012

Postby alexironaek » Fri Mar 16, 2018 7:24 am

Thank you Yama for taking care of this place in shenmue's difficult times! The dojo is the home for every shenmue fan and you have kept it alive all those years. in my opinion you could not find a better guy than Peter!

Congratulations again Peter! The dojo is in very good hands \:D/
alexironaek
Master of the Three Blades
Master of the Three Blades

Postby Kiske » Fri Mar 16, 2018 9:32 am

I’ve not been around since a long time, but it’s thanks to the passion and devotion you have and ever had for Shenmue that this place is here today and survived moments during which even hope was utopia.
Thank you Yama! Hopefully you’ll never stay too far from home.

Welcome back Peter. I couldn’t see a better choice than you for taking care of the Dojo.
We are definitely in good hands. I wish you the best luck on your new journey.

Kiske has received a thanks from: FlagshipFighter
Kiske
News Poster
News Poster

PSN: KosiKosa

Next

Return to Shenmue Dojo