A smartphone/tablet app for Shenmue III

(Chapter 7 and beyond)

A smartphone/tablet app for Shenmue III

Postby RyoHazuki84 » Sun Jul 03, 2016 8:46 pm

Here are some ideas I wish to share for the next Shenmue installment. For some of you who have played Metal Gear Solid 5, you can use an app for tablets and/or smart phones to keep track of your movements on a map, listen to tapes you collected, call for support, etc. For the next Shenmue game, I think it would be cool if you had an accompanying app for it. Like the app can be used to keep track of your move list, read your journal, your items, your money, calendar and maybe be used as a map. I think it will be a great way to make the game more fun and deep. The app for Metal Gear Solid 5 did bring a deeper immersion while playing for me at least. What do you guys think?
RyoHazuki84
Master of the Three Blades

Favorite title: Shenmue II
Currently playing: Shenmue

Re: A smartphone/tablet app for Shenmue III

Postby Spaghetti » Sun Jul 03, 2016 9:21 pm

Using it for your notebook/maps/items might be a cool little feature. I can imagine it might make Shenmue III a "passive" two player experience. One is active, as in actually playing the game, and the second play is assisting via the app. Might be a cool way for two people to experience the game when only one player actually plays games, y'know?

Still, I don't think we'll be getting one due to cost. Neat idea though.
Spaghetti
Machine Gun Fist
Machine Gun Fist

Postby FlagshipFighter » Sun Jul 03, 2016 9:57 pm

Hmmm, not bad, I would say some games suit it better than others, Mirror's edge catalyst being a recent example was the first time I ever utilised this setup and I thought it was pretty cool!

However, with YS.NET having to use every limited amount of Yen they have wisely, I wouldn't make it a priority at all, mainly because I think it's not what we necessarily want out of Shenmue and the game may just not require it. You have some decent ideas but nothing the community couldn't assemble together if they really wanted to. The only good idea I could think of is social options (community forums, arcade game leader boards, etc) but again the dojo+tapatalk do a decent job of this.

It's cool, if the game was produced by a publisher I'm sure Suzuki-san would be more adamant to try new stuff like this :-)

Sent from my C6603 using Tapatalk
FlagshipFighter
Alpha Trading Boss
Alpha Trading Boss

PSN: FlagshipFighter
XBL: FlagshipFighter
Steam: FlagshipFighter
Favorite title: Shenmue IIx

Postby RyoHazuki84 » Mon Jul 04, 2016 8:11 am

Good points. It wasn't a stretch goal but it is still a nice idea to have. I think it would be a nice addition to have the experience more hands on IMHO. It would also be awesome to have songs, etc.
RyoHazuki84

Postby Telekill » Wed Jul 06, 2016 4:04 pm

I'd say pass for two reasons.

1. Shenmue takes place in the 80's before smart devices which would break the immersion.

2. Save development funds for details and other in game things that were already planned. Let's not waste what little funds Yu has on something like this.
Telekill
Man Mo Acolyte
Man Mo Acolyte

PSN: Telekill
Currently playing: Detroit Become Human

Postby FlagshipFighter » Thu Jul 07, 2016 10:59 am

RyoHazuki84 wrote:Good points. It wasn't a stretch goal but it is still a nice idea to have. I think it would be a nice addition to have the experience more hands on IMHO. It would also be awesome to have songs, etc.

An app that was more Shenmue Passport-esque into terms of content would be cool in a promotional sort of way. Hmmm, may I should get into coding! :-D

Sent from my C6603 using Tapatalk
FlagshipFighter
Alpha Trading Boss
Alpha Trading Boss

PSN: FlagshipFighter
XBL: FlagshipFighter
Steam: FlagshipFighter

Postby -=SPZ=-47 » Thu Jul 07, 2016 6:41 pm

I don't want to have a piece of my game on a different device. What I need is a game on my PC. No fancy glamourous apps. I don't need those to enjoy the game. Like in GTA5 you need an app for the smartphone to train an ingame pet. It's just disturbing! Why can't I do it within the game itself?
And what if I decide to play the game some years after the release? Will it still be compatible on newer devices?

I just want to plug in the game and play it. Everything else is a headache.
-=SPZ=-47
Funny Bear Burger Clerk
Funny Bear Burger Clerk

Postby south carmain » Fri Jul 08, 2016 3:41 am

I want a shenmue go app that randomly labels strangers as chiyoumen and tells you to beat them up for points.
south carmain
Comrade of the motherland
"Keep Friends"

Currently playing: okami hd

Postby Telekill » Sat Jul 09, 2016 5:13 pm

south carmain wrote: I want a shenmue go app that randomly labels strangers as chiyoumen and tells you to beat them up for points.

:lol: LOL
Telekill
Man Mo Acolyte
Man Mo Acolyte

PSN: Telekill
Currently playing: Detroit Become Human

Postby RyoHazuki84 » Sun Jul 10, 2016 8:59 pm

I'd say pass for two reasons.

1. Shenmue takes place in the 80's before smart devices which would break the immersion.

2. Save development funds for details and other in game things that were already planned. Let's not waste what little funds Yu has on something like this.

When I suggested the idea for an app, I didn't mean that the characters in-game use touchscreen devices. Sorry if my reply and initial idea was taken out of context.

I don't want to have a piece of my game on a different device. What I need is a game on my PC. No fancy glamourous apps. I don't need those to enjoy the game. Like in GTA5 you need an app for the smartphone to train an ingame pet. It's just disturbing! Why can't I do it within the game itself?
And what if I decide to play the game some years after the release? Will it still be compatible on newer devices?

I never really suggested the app to be necessary. Just extra fun like the MGS5 one. You're a PC gamer. That's cool. Other than Sim City 2000, I have never been much of a PC gamer. I'm not a PC guy like you and a good number of individuals here (no offense). Due to the nature of my work being outside of home most of the time, I rely a lot on my smartphone and tablet. But other than that, I do understand your concerns I didn't take into consideration such as the app could be outdated on later devices in the future.

An app that was more Shenmue Passport-esque into terms of content would be cool in a promotional sort of way. Hmmm, may I should get into coding! :-D

For the most part, my idea was mostly just an updated version to the passport that you can access at almost anytime.

want a shenmue go app that randomly labels strangers as chiyoumen and tells you to beat them up for points

Isn't there already a counter-tinder app for something like that?

Anyway, even though it is difficult to agree with this, I am glad you guys shared your input.
RyoHazuki84

Postby ys » Mon Jul 11, 2016 10:33 pm

-=SPZ=-47 wrote: I don't want to have a piece of my game on a different device. What I need is a game on my PC. No fancy glamourous apps. I don't need those to enjoy the game. Like in GTA5 you need an app for the smartphone to train an ingame pet. It's just disturbing! Why can't I do it within the game itself?

That also annoyed me in GTA5. One of the reasons several developers did this was because it was the trendy thing to do. All of a sudden everything needed its own app. I personally never touched the GTA5 one. First they only supported Iphone. When they finally released the Android version I (and many others) didn't care anymore. Besides, it's a bit of a hassle to play some irrelevant part of a game on another device I think.

I'm not against the idea though if it's just a map, notebook etc. Some would clearly like this and it can be a fun extra. I just fear that it might divert time/money from the main development and it's probably not that easy to integrate different mobile versions with a PS4 and PC-version. Even Rockstar ran into some issues, which led to people nagging on the forums, complaining about the lack of Windows Phone support, ignoring it eventually etc.
ys
"Keep Friends"
"Keep Friends"

Favorite title: What's Shenmue

Return to Shenmue III