Iwao could have beaten Lan Di

(Chapter 7 and beyond)

Postby VGAce » Mon Jan 16, 2006 6:12 pm

Kenji-kun wrote:Concerning the Tiger Swallow Style (someone asked) : Iwao was used to practicing with his friend Zhao in Guilin. We know that Zhao Sunming was a master of the Tiger Swallow Style (Wulinshu). It is because of that that we can suppose that Iwao knew the style quite well (and remember the mysterious scroll hidden in the Hazuki Dojo)

If Iwao was proficient in Tiger Swallow style, why couldn't he read Lan Di's moves and block/dodge/counter them accordingly? I agree that Iwao has had experience with the style in the past, but it doesn't mean he knows it. Being familiar with a style and being a practitioner are two very different things. It was obvious by his total annihilation at the hands (and feet) of Lan Di that he had not trained with the style to any great degree, at least not as much as Lan Di.
VGAce
Machine Gun Fist
Machine Gun Fist

Postby milan27 » Mon Jan 16, 2006 6:52 pm

Orange Lightning wrote:Holy shit, I hope you're not trying to equate Shenmue to a Wuxia story. It's not even close.
While I agree "young=strong" is most definitely not true, Shenmue is more along the lines of an 80s karate movie than a Chinese Wuxia story. Which means it's at the very least slightly more realistic than any Wuxia I've ever heard of.

Hmm, I beg to differ here. I think Shenmue is closer to Wuxia stories than you think, with a modern twist. I don't think it's really more realistic than any Wuxia stories I've read. There are myths (mirrors, treasures), superhuman fighting skills, and a floating magical sword.

It is obviously based on a revenge theme. And it's not really a stretch to connect this with all the revenge themed Wuxia stories.
milan27
Funny Bear Burger Clerk
Funny Bear Burger Clerk

Postby milan27 » Mon Jan 16, 2006 6:52 pm

VGAce wrote:
Kenji-kun wrote:Concerning the Tiger Swallow Style (someone asked) : Iwao was used to practicing with his friend Zhao in Guilin. We know that Zhao Sunming was a master of the Tiger Swallow Style (Wulinshu). It is because of that that we can suppose that Iwao knew the style quite well (and remember the mysterious scroll hidden in the Hazuki Dojo)

If Iwao was proficient in Tiger Swallow style, why couldn't he read Lan Di's moves and block/dodge/counter them accordingly? I agree that Iwao has had experience with the style in the past, but it doesn't mean he knows it. Being familiar with a style and being a practitioner are two very different things. It was obvious by his total annihilation at the hands (and feet) of Lan Di that he had not trained with the style to any great degree, at least not as much as Lan Di.

Well if you go along with the "he's throwing the fight" theory, then why would he?
milan27
Funny Bear Burger Clerk
Funny Bear Burger Clerk

Postby milan27 » Mon Jan 16, 2006 6:53 pm

lovemetal07 wrote:allright, i think we all agree Iwao COULD have beaten Lan Di, but he didn't, and now he's dead.

Yep, he is very, very dead indeed.
milan27
Funny Bear Burger Clerk
Funny Bear Burger Clerk

Postby ac2u » Mon Jan 16, 2006 7:34 pm

lovemetal07 wrote:allright, i think we all agree Iwao COULD have beaten Lan Di, but he didn't, and now he's dead.

I disagree. It seems most people here believe Iwao COULDN'T beat Lan Di.

Another point:

Shenmue Online, official CGI trailer. Notice the end scene on the rooftop, EVERYBODY on Ryo's side (dozens and dozens, including Xiuying) throw a combined blast towards the other side.

Who counters it? Lan Di. Alone. There is no indication that he gets blasted away. The magical blasts are a measure of strength and show just how powerful Lan Di is.

Now before anyone says "Doesn't matter, it's magic and it's Shenmue Online" Let me remind you that Yu Suzuki is overseeing Shenmue Online. The end blast clearly shows that Lan Di is incredibly strong. Yu Suzuki would not let this into the trailer otherwise, and he's the one that knows everything about Lan Di.
ac2u
Man Mo Acolyte
Man Mo Acolyte

Postby OL » Mon Jan 16, 2006 7:47 pm

^Good point, I gotta say.
OL
Yo jes hummilated yoursef
Shenmue III

Postby milan27 » Mon Jan 16, 2006 9:27 pm

ac2u wrote:

Another point:

Shenmue Online, official CGI trailer. Notice the end scene on the rooftop, EVERYBODY on Ryo's side (dozens and dozens, including Xiuying) throw a combined blast towards the other side.

Who counters it? Lan Di. Alone. There is no indication that he gets blasted away. The magical blasts are a measure of strength and show just how powerful Lan Di is.

Now before anyone says "Doesn't matter, it's magic and it's Shenmue Online" Let me remind you that Yu Suzuki is overseeing Shenmue Online. The end blast clearly shows that Lan Di is incredibly strong. Yu Suzuki would not let this into the trailer otherwise, and he's the one that knows everything about Lan Di.

Ok, but how would you know Iwao isn't capable of that? (assuming my theory is correct and he's just as powerful as LanDi if not more)
milan27
Funny Bear Burger Clerk
Funny Bear Burger Clerk

Postby SaM_4000 » Mon Jan 16, 2006 10:04 pm

milan27 wrote:
VGAce wrote:

Well if you go along with the "he's throwing the fight" theory, then why would he?

Maybe because of the fact that Iwao could have killed Lan Di's father
though i still think this is unlikely it still could have happened
Last edited by SaM_4000 on Thu Jan 19, 2006 12:43 am, edited 1 time in total.
SaM_4000
Man Mo Acolyte
Man Mo Acolyte

Postby ac2u » Tue Jan 17, 2006 2:52 pm

milan27 wrote:
ac2u wrote:

Another point:

Ok, but how would you know Iwao isn't capable of that? (assuming my theory is correct and he's just as powerful as LanDi if not more)

Put it this way.. Ryo was absolutely amazed when he couldn't even come close to landing a single punch on Xiuying.

Considering Xiuying is weaker than Lan Di... "If you can't even beat me, then what chance do you have against Lan Di"

Now, Ryo is amazed by Xiuying's skill. Do you think he would be amazed if he saw those skills before? ie. from Iwao.

The most skilled martial artist Ryo knows is Xiuying, not his father. And Xiuying is weaker than Lan Di.

Therefore...
Iwao<Xiuying<Lan Di.
ac2u
Man Mo Acolyte
Man Mo Acolyte

Postby Skillz » Tue Jan 17, 2006 5:12 pm

well anyone can think how thye think.. iwao knew tiger swallow style, landi's father probably taught him a few moves or it. could he have gotten him and ryo out of that? dojo, and the gotten the others to safey? yes.

did he try it no! guessing he had pride and did not want to look like a coward...

But like was said he traveled to bailu village.... XD, so of course he knows the syle.. the guy probably showed him it and what it concentrates on...... he knew that dodge move and several other moves form china in his travels...

ryo would have seen iwao doing thme.. or asked what is that or this.. or that... so it is to assume is dad never, ever did any of those things infront of him.

did i say he was stornger than, anyone?no! was he powerful yes i can say he was. like we know he could have defended him self better, it di dnot look like he gave up... but just did not want to use those moves. well couldhave fought him better did not, and is dead.. like was said.

the scroll in the house seem's to be a move from xiuying's style, maybe tiger swallow is comprised of baji? and other stuff? i mean evne the swallow dive seems.. like more of the same style.. you never know.. master chen probably knew ryo's father well...

Well I bet when we get the final chapter, the thoughs people have and stuff will, come ot a close.. when we really see what yu suzuki had in mind for iwao's character what he did back then.. whom he was.......... etc, and why this happened and this. like i sia dbefore i bet it is going to be different form both sides thoughts...

and we will be shocked, until then it is up in the air...
Skillz
Man Mo Acolyte
Man Mo Acolyte

Postby Who Really Cares? » Tue Jan 17, 2006 5:47 pm

ac2u wrote:

Another point:

good point...and how can people still claim that Iwao could have beaten Lan Di but decided to die instead to only 3 bloody moves! the guys a master!
I mean come on Lan Di barely put any effort into the blow on Ryo...and look how much damage that did to him ;)
Who Really Cares?
Shenmue III
Shenmue III

XBL: Baihu1983
Favorite title: Shenmue II
Currently playing: TitanFall

Postby milan27 » Tue Jan 17, 2006 7:01 pm

ac2u wrote:Put it this way.. Ryo was absolutely amazed when he couldn't even come close to landing a single punch on Xiuying.

Considering Xiuying is weaker than Lan Di... "If you can't even beat me, then what chance do you have against Lan Di"

Now, Ryo is amazed by Xiuying's skill. Do you think he would be amazed if he saw those skills before? ie. from Iwao.

The most skilled martial artist Ryo knows is Xiuying, not his father. And Xiuying is weaker than Lan Di.

Therefore...
Iwao<Xiuying<Lan Di.

You logic is flawed here. You have proven LanDi>Xiuying, and that's it. Iwao taught Ryo how to fight, ever since he was a little boy. Do you think if Iwao possessed astonishing moves like Xiuying or LanDi's, would he actually use or show them to Ryo? I doubt it. Iwao seems like a very self contained man, as we can see from the various flashbacks. There's no need for showboating in front of his son. XiuYing only demonstrated her moves to stop Ryo from going after LanDi.

The fact is we don't know. We know almost nothing about Iwao and we have no idea if he could have beaten LanDi, we can only speculate. I imagine he could from what we've seen, and you think he can't, which is perfectly fine. But to say "Iwao could most definitely not beaten LanDi" is unfounded at this point. And that's why I have kept argueing with you, we'll never convince each other until the ShenIII comes out. Can't we agree on that? :)
milan27
Funny Bear Burger Clerk
Funny Bear Burger Clerk

Postby milan27 » Tue Jan 17, 2006 7:03 pm

thebestbit wrote:good point...and how can people still claim that Iwao could have beaten Lan Di but decided to die instead to only 3 bloody moves! the guys a master!
I mean come on Lan Di barely put any effort into the blow on Ryo...and look how much damage that did to him ;)

I would imagine even if Iwao can't compete with LanDi, it would still require LanDi more than three moves to finish Iwao off. Which further helps my point that Iwao totally threw the fight.
milan27
Funny Bear Burger Clerk
Funny Bear Burger Clerk

Postby ac2u » Tue Jan 17, 2006 7:59 pm

milan27 wrote:
ac2u wrote:Put it this way.. Ryo was absolutely amazed when he couldn't even come close to landing a single punch on Xiuying.

Therefore...
Iwao<Xiuying<Lan Di.

You logic is flawed here. You have proven LanDi>Xiuying, and that's it. Iwao taught Ryo how to fight, ever since he was a little boy. Do you think if Iwao possessed astonishing moves like Xiuying or LanDi's, would he actually use or show them to Ryo? I doubt it. Iwao seems like a very self contained man, as we can see from the various flashbacks. There's no need for showboating in front of his son. XiuYing only demonstrated her moves to stop Ryo from going after LanDi.

The fact is we don't know. We know almost nothing about Iwao and we have no idea if he could have beaten LanDi, we can only speculate. I imagine he could from what we've seen, and you think he can't, which is perfectly fine. But to say "Iwao could most definitely not beaten LanDi" is unfounded at this point. And that's why I have kept argueing with you, we'll never convince each other until the ShenIII comes out. Can't we agree on that? :)

8) I can't say that you are completely wrong. You do more than just speculate, I like a good argument, sure, I agree to disagree. Whatdayasay we request that Adam Doree of Kikizo puts the question to Yu Suzuki himself in the upcoming interview in Feb? :lol:
ac2u
Man Mo Acolyte
Man Mo Acolyte

Postby VGAce » Tue Jan 17, 2006 10:02 pm

Maybe Iwao had a cold at the time. Yeah, that's it. Only explanation, really. :lol:
VGAce
Machine Gun Fist
Machine Gun Fist

PreviousNext

Return to Shenmue III