Shenmue 3 maybe done.

(Chapter 7 and beyond)

Re: Shenmue 3 maybe done.

Postby Kaven » Tue Jul 04, 2006 4:12 pm

nl4m wrote:That would make EVERY person who owned a Dreamcast would HAVE to buy it for Sega to make money.

Sega didn't make money on Shenmue. I'm pretty sure Sega lost a lot of money due to Shenmue, and to the Dreamcast in general. I think Sega lost about $700 million the last two years of the Dreamcast.

Shenmue doesn't appeal to the masses, most gamers can't appreciate it. Most the people I know who bought Shenmue never played more than a few hours. A lot of niche titles get produced because they are fairly inexpensive to make (like Romance of the Three Kingdoms). Shenmue basiclly gets screwed.

Maybe it'll come back as a CG movie with QTE sequences, because I don't see how Sega would fund another, especially since games are even more expensive to produce than they were in the late 90's.
Kaven
Master of the Three Blades

Favorite title: Shenmue
Currently playing: Board Games

Postby VGAce » Tue Jul 04, 2006 4:43 pm

Gangsta Ren wrote:First of all Numb nuts, the research and development for Shenmue 1 and 2 costed 70 million, not 20. And they sold 1 million copies of Shenmue 1 in the USA and a little over 750,000 in Japan.

Don't be so hard on him. I've seen multiple figures floating around over the years. $20 million, $60 million, $65 million, $70 million, etc. It's hard to tell how much money was actually spent, or on what. The point is, Shenmue "costed" a hell of a lot of money to make. I think we can all agree on that.
VGAce
Machine Gun Fist
Machine Gun Fist

Postby RyoHazuki1987 » Tue Jul 04, 2006 4:52 pm

VGAce wrote:
Gangsta Ren wrote:First of all Numb nuts, the research and development for Shenmue 1 and 2 costed 70 million, not 20. And they sold 1 million copies of Shenmue 1 in the USA and a little over 750,000 in Japan.

Don't be so hard on him. I've seen multiple figures floating around over the years. $20 million, $60 million, $65 million, $70 million, etc. It's hard to tell how much money was actually spent, or on what. The point is, Shenmue "costed" a hell of a lot of money to make. I think we can all agree on that.
You beat me to it, VGAce. My own personal opinion is that the $70 million figure covers the cost of development from the Saturn up to the Dreamcast release of Shenmue, if not Shenmue II as well. I think the biggest reason why it's hard to tell what was spent on what is because the entire Shenmue project was started under the "Project Berkely" name, as one collective project. At first it was unknown what would be included and how many games would be released. I might be wrong, but I believe I heard that Sega didn't make the decision to not include Chapter 2 until after Shenmue had already been released.
RyoHazuki1987
"After Burner...Great!"
"After Burner...Great!"

Postby Gangsta Ren » Thu Jul 06, 2006 6:58 pm

seeing incorrect figures on the net doesnt make them valid, or worth mentioning for that matter.

I dont give a shit if you saw on some assholes blog that it cost sega $100 to make Shenmue. The FACT is that it cost them $70 million. The inconsistant figures come from shitty journalism, something the net is littered with.
Gangsta Ren

Postby IveBeenCensored » Thu Jul 06, 2006 8:01 pm

Gangsta Ren wrote:seeing incorrect figures on the net doesnt make them valid, or worth mentioning for that matter.

I dont give a shit if you saw on some assholes blog that it cost sega $100 to make Shenmue. The FACT is that it cost them $70 million. The inconsistant figures come from shitty journalism, something the net is littered with.

Well then I guess you should call the Guiness Book of World Records, because they have the world record for the most expensive video game 50 million dollars too low (although this record has probably been broken by now)

Now its possible Guiness is wrong, but most trusted world records book vs some kid on the net, I think I'll go with the 20 million figure.
IveBeenCensored
"After Burner...Great!"
"After Burner...Great!"

Postby VGAce » Thu Jul 06, 2006 10:17 pm

Gangsta Ren wrote:seeing incorrect figures on the net doesnt make them valid, or worth mentioning for that matter.

Why the hostility? For the record, the multiple figures I've seen over the years were all from reputable sites, magazines, and even official sources. I didn't pull it out of my ass or read it on some blog, as you seem to think. Is it so hard to believe that the figure for a game's budget can change? And like Ren Suzuki said, the Guiness Book of World Records reports $20 million, and they only use well-researched sources for their records. Are you going to say that's shitty journalism too?
We've had this discussion before in the past in the Dojo, and it's still unclear what the exact figure is, but if you're so sure it was in fact $70 million, give us some sources. I'm not doubting they exist, but I am wondering just how such sources would compare to another source that says otherwise. You don't have to be rude to someone for misquoting a figure, especially when the amount of said figure is still debated.
VGAce
Machine Gun Fist
Machine Gun Fist

Postby Kiyuu » Thu Jul 06, 2006 11:48 pm

In Japan, SEGA has always been calling Shenmue the "7 billion yen" project,
no other figures. That is about 60 million US Dollars at the current exchange rate.
Still, I don't think Guiness chose that figure without having any firm grounds.
It may be covering strictly the cost of the first game only, I guess.
Kiyuu
News Poster
News Poster

Postby IveBeenCensored » Thu Jul 06, 2006 11:55 pm

ya I think that both numbers have merit. 20 million was probably strictly what the first game cost, while 70 million was probably all the costs that Shenmue had incurred (including Project Berkley, Shenmue Saturn, and parts of Shenmue 2) that had been completed by the time Shenmue was released. Also the two numbers may have differences (maybe 20 million is just MAKING the game and 70 includes the production, promotion, etc.)
IveBeenCensored
"After Burner...Great!"
"After Burner...Great!"

Postby NiGHTS 3:16 » Fri Jul 07, 2006 12:27 pm

Sorry, but we have our sources for the figures we have.

You, on the other hand have just arrived to say: "No, you're all fucking wrong. I fucking know what fucking shit I'm talking about. I'm not fucking gonna tell you how the fuck I know but I fucking know and that's all I fucking have to say you shit-eating cunts."

Other members stressed their points with figures they got from reliable sources. Sorry, I know I'm new and don't have much right to be ranting at people on here, but dear God, you are just plain rude.
NiGHTS 3:16
Alpha Trading Boss
Alpha Trading Boss

Postby Gangsta Ren » Fri Jul 07, 2006 4:50 pm

Hey ass, my source is IGN. so Go FUCK yourself. Whats your source? Oh yeah Screw Guiness. Their figure and game in question probally doesnt count preliminary research, just programming man-hours.
So cover your guiness book in lighter fluid, shove it up your ass and light it.

And to the dumbass that tried to say Shenmue 1 alone was only 20 million, stfu. They never broke down the cost of researchand develeopment into seperate sequals, because the damn sequels werent even done yet. It was 1998 when they released that info. And we arent talking about the exchange rate now, it wast the exchange rate of 1998 you ass. So it was 70 million, before they even hired an american voiced acting team to do the localization. And IGN didnt provide the research cost in "YEN" , it was in "DOLLARS".................................................
..............................................................................................
Dick.
Gangsta Ren

Postby NiGHTS 3:16 » Fri Jul 07, 2006 8:11 pm

I don't wish to have sex with myself, and so I shan't.

And if they hadn't started development on Shenmue 2 by that point, then explain the amount of Shenmue 2 footage in the Saturn demo?

And stop trying to turn this into an argument. There's no need to insult people.
NiGHTS 3:16
Alpha Trading Boss
Alpha Trading Boss

Postby IveBeenCensored » Sat Jul 08, 2006 2:46 pm

Gangsta Ren wrote:Hey ass, my source is IGN. so Go FUCK yourself. Whats your source? Oh yeah Screw Guiness. Their figure and game in question probally doesnt count preliminary research, just programming man-hours.
So cover your guiness book in lighter fluid, shove it up your ass and light it.

And to the dumbass that tried to say Shenmue 1 alone was only 20 million, stfu. They never broke down the cost of researchand develeopment into seperate sequals, because the damn sequels werent even done yet. It was 1998 when they released that info. And we arent talking about the exchange rate now, it wast the exchange rate of 1998 you ass. So it was 70 million, before they even hired an american voiced acting team to do the localization. And IGN didnt provide the research cost in "YEN" , it was in "DOLLARS".................................................
..............................................................................................
Dick.

Uh your post actually agrees with what we said. The 20 million figure may not include a bunch of stuff, but that figure is still one of the official figures. Both may have merit, not need to call someone numb nuts for using the lower one.

And to the dumbass that tried to say Shenmue 1 alone was only 20 million, stfu. They never broke down the cost of researchand develeopment into seperate sequals, because the damn sequels werent even done yet. It was 1998 when they released that info.

No one said they amortized the R+D cost accross the games. What I meant was that parts of Shenmue 2 were already done by the point when Shenmue 1 came out, and these were possiblyh included in the 70 million figure. The R+D costs could of been excluded from the 20 million figure though.
IveBeenCensored
"After Burner...Great!"
"After Burner...Great!"

Postby ac2u » Sat Jul 08, 2006 4:37 pm

Gangsta Ren wrote:Hey ass, my source is IGN. so Go FUCK yourself.

Whoop-de-do... IGN. Listen mate, just because IGN said it, that doesn't make it true. IGN know nothing more than the average person who researches, they get their info from SEGA and any source they can.

For the record, IGN list the developer of 'Shenmue Online' as JC Entertainment /SEGA. So we can see how accurate they are.

Incase you didn't catch on, JCE pulled out ages ago. IGN haven't got this right.
ac2u
Man Mo Acolyte
Man Mo Acolyte

Postby etjester » Sat Jul 08, 2006 4:52 pm

nl4m wrote:^ Sorry... Made a mistake. If a game costs 20 million to make. That means 20,000,000 / 50 dollars (per game) = 40,000. That means that Shenmue had to only sell 40,001 to make a profit. I was wrong... Sorry.

$20,000,000 / $50 (per unit) = 400,000 units

etjester
Man Mo Acolyte
Man Mo Acolyte

Postby Gangsta Ren » Sun Jul 09, 2006 11:27 am

Why you ignorant incompetant bastard . Ign backs up its sources, AM2 Yu suzuki it isnt like asshole kikizo which you douchebags blindly believe, that uses imaginary sources. So if you want to beat your ignorant head against the wall denying facts, have a ball loser.

Ign keeps all its old news archived so go look it up you idiot. The cost of research of development for the Shenmue series as of 1998 was 70 million. Thats before either Shenmue one or two were even done. They never broke down which sequel cost what individually you dumb bastards.
You're so stupid you'll follow any idiot off a cliff, like that n00b nl4m who just two weeks ago was claiming to have video of Shenmue 3 . You retards probally believed that too. You're so ignorant its repugnant. Take your thumb out of your ass and look it up on IGN, instead of talking shit and exposing what an uniformed asshole you are.
Gangsta Ren

PreviousNext

Return to Shenmue III