Shenmue Feature on Gamasutra...

(Chapter 7 and beyond)

Postby Sailors? » Fri Feb 05, 2010 10:33 pm

Shenmue is not a perfect game, but it's the only game I still care about. There is no other game that gives me the beautiful sense of nostalgia(except maybe Alex Kidd) as Shenmue does, and let's not bullshit coz we'd still all buy Shenmue 3 the first day it came out even if it was double the price of a regular game.
Sailors?
Still searching...
"After Burner...Great!"

XBL: HuntaOfTheNight
Favorite title: Shenmue

Postby SaM_4000 » Sun Feb 07, 2010 3:27 am

Riku wrote:Got to love a debate.

That's debatable.
SaM_4000
Man Mo Acolyte
Man Mo Acolyte

Postby Jokatech19 » Sun Feb 07, 2010 9:32 am

Sailors? wrote:Shenmue is not a perfect game, but it's the only game I still care about. There is no other game that gives me the beautiful sense of nostalgia(except maybe Alex Kidd) as Shenmue does, and let's not bullshit coz we'd still all buy Shenmue 3 the first day it came out even if it was double the price of a regular game.

Exactly. It's funny how time can build denial in people. A few years pass and now many have forgotten how much Shenmue transcended most other games. Video games today feed quietly off of what Shenmue did. Look at QTE's. If I'm not mistake, Shenmue may have been the actual pioneer in that, now you have God of War, Resident Evil, and many other popular titles using it. Shenmue is the only game that could pull me in today. Talk trash about the story all you want. If it wasn't gripping, none of you would have played 2 and be waiting for 3. Shenmue marks the end of an era where it was popular for a good guy to be a good guy.
Jokatech19
"After Burner...Great!"
"After Burner...Great!"

Favorite title: What's Shenmue
Currently playing: AC: Revelations

Postby O_Ren » Sun Feb 07, 2010 11:46 am

Clint is my hero I played Shenmue for the first time back when it first came out and I was blown away and after recently replaying it I am still blown away by this game and amazed how plenty of games to this day haven't even touched the sheer epicness of the game.
Kenny points out how the games story is cliche and lack of a better word cheesy.
Really? Sure NOW the revenge story is a bit cliche and done before especially in this day and age when films like Avatar can't be appreciated for it's story because it's similar to a story the heard years back. It's now become "if the story isn't complicated then it sucks" what's wrong with a simple story with complicated characters at least that's what I think Shenmue was going for and what we would see in a third installment.
As Clint said Shenhua, the mirrors, Yuanda Zhu, Chi You Men, Ziming, the mystery behind Iwao and Zhao all these stories are exciting and are captivating and just pointing out the overall theme of revenge is just a bit lackluster, Kenny you seem to be missing the point because the overall story of Shenmue is way much more than just revenge I'm am confident that the themes and deep story hasn't even been touched on properly yet but with what we have so far people are still blown away, so one can only imagine what the future of the Shenmue story had in store for us.

The fighting? Like you said personal preference, me I love the fighting I love how if you're skilled enough you can almost be as awesome as Xiuing or Jianmin with the Y button. I love how the game incorporates the mythology of the move you just learnt into the fighting system. The only gripes I have are the camera it can be very frustrating as you have to change the commands from right x+a to something like up x+a because of the angle.

Overall the music, the environment, the story, has captivated me and in my recent play through I haven't even touched my PS3 I've felt like I've been on holiday or been away as I haven't been able to let go of the Dreamcast controller for like 4 or 5 days to do anything else and I can confidently say no game today has that effect on me only the game I beat 10 years ago has that effect and a game that can do that deserves to be one of the greatest games ever if not the greatest at least in my eyes.
O_Ren
Fuku-san
Fuku-san

Postby Kenny » Sun Feb 07, 2010 1:26 pm

Nah, like I said, there are more complex and emotional stories out there in games. Some I played before Shenmue which lessened the impact for me.

If Shenmue's story moved you, then let it move you. My arguement was that it's not great as it makes itself out to be. Especially given the time it took to make it, most of the effort probably went to the research to recreate Doubuita, Wan Chai, and other areas as well as the martial arts and things. Yu Suzuki is not much of a storyteller IMO. Especially when stacked up to the likes of people like Hideo Kojima.
Kenny
is Gwenpool™
Shenmue III

PSN: JamesTeeZappa
XBL: KennyNOL
Nintendo FC: FUCK THE WII-U
Steam: kenny_nol
Currently playing: Contest of Champions iOS

Postby Tomato Convenience Store » Tue Feb 09, 2010 12:21 am

I think it's really hard to judge the overall story because we only have 6 of 16 total chapters. However, I think the games (especially s2) did a great job of slowly unveiling certain revelations and story elements. Also, I think many of us are forgetting many of the questions we're looking for. Are you seriously not interested in finding out:

-Why Iwao killed his former best friend Sunming? (or what really happened between them)
-What happened to Ziming after becoming one of the leaders of the Chiyoumen, and will Xiuying do anything to stop him? What will Ryo do if he encounters him?
-The significance of Shenhua and her role in the entire story
-How the fantasy elements from the last sequence will fit into the rest of the story
-The true nature of the mirrors
-About the other leaders of the Chiyoumen
-How Ryo will act when he confronts Lan Di, if he ever gets the chance.
-How Ryo fits in with the "destiny" poem
-Who is Master Baihu?

Cmon, there is no fucking way Shenmue has a "bad" story.
Tomato Convenience Store
"After Burner...Great!"
"After Burner...Great!"

Currently playing: PuzzleQuest II

Postby ThyDarkAngel » Tue Feb 09, 2010 10:18 am

No. Fucking. Way.

Couldn't said it better myself.

An amazing story, waiting to be told.
ThyDarkAngel
Machine Gun Fist
Machine Gun Fist

Favorite title: Shenmue II
Currently playing: LOADING...

Postby Kenny » Tue Feb 09, 2010 1:02 pm

Don't really care about any of those really aside from how those fantasy elements are gonna be thrown in.

I should make it clear I was constantly referencing the first game and mentioned that Shenmue II was when they were starting to get it right. The first impression should've been alot better.

Though I do have to admit, all this talking about Shenmue its story and overall experience has got me to wanting to try it out again (the sequel anyway, I have no access to the original).
Kenny
is Gwenpool™
Shenmue III

Postby DoubleO_Ren » Thu Feb 11, 2010 6:45 am

Kenny™© wrote:Nah, like I said, there are more complex and emotional stories out there in games. Some I played before Shenmue which lessened the impact for me.

If Shenmue's story moved you, then let it move you. My arguement was that it's not great as it makes itself out to be. Especially given the time it took to make it, most of the effort probably went to the research to recreate Doubuita, Wan Chai, and other areas as well as the martial arts and things. Yu Suzuki is not much of a storyteller IMO. Especially when stacked up to the likes of people like Hideo Kojima.

Hideo Kojima? Yeah he's great when he's not retconning his stories 80% of the time Shenmue was planned from the ground up with a well structured story that hasn't changed (yet) But Koji just made it up as he went along and was soooo good that he had to change his story with stupid retcons and NANOMACHINES ARE THE ANSWER FOR EVERYTHING urgh.
DoubleO_Ren
Alpha Trading Boss
Alpha Trading Boss

Postby darksniper » Thu Feb 11, 2010 3:56 pm

DoubleO_Ren wrote:
Kenny™© wrote:Nah, like I said, there are more complex and emotional stories out there in games. Some I played before Shenmue which lessened the impact for me.

Hideo Kojima? Yeah he's great when he's not retconning his stories 80% of the time Shenmue was planned from the ground up with a well structured story that hasn't changed (yet) But Koji just made it up as he went along and was soooo good that he had to change his story with stupid retcons and NANOMACHINES ARE THE ANSWER FOR EVERYTHING urgh.

Kojima needs to start fresh with a new series, or continue one where I think he wont feel as much pressure for his story to make sense. Basically, he should do a Snatcher or Policenauts sequel.
darksniper
Man Mo Acolyte
Man Mo Acolyte

Postby Kenny » Sun Feb 14, 2010 6:44 pm

Can't say I blame Kojima much.

MGS was suppose to be the last one in the series then it became hyper popular. And he tried to since pass the torch but was unable to do so until MGS4, which in turn he got death threats from a bunch of lifeless losers forcing him back in the director's chair. I wouldn't be surprised if he started to hate MG after that and got sick of it by the 4th Solid.

Regardless, as rediculous as it got and as much as I personally critisize for the self-indulgence and over-bloated narratives, I still found it remarkable. And if he started to dislike his own project, he did a damn good job with the finale.
Kenny
is Gwenpool™
Shenmue III

Postby Riku Rose » Sun Feb 14, 2010 6:49 pm

I doubt he hates it as it seems no one wanted the next two games other then himself.
Riku Rose
Shenmue III
Shenmue III

Currently playing: Yakuza 6

Postby DoubleO_Ren » Mon Feb 15, 2010 11:27 am

I doubt he hates it as it seems no one wanted the next two games other then himself.

^This

Hmm maybe we should send death threats to Yu Susuki and Sega.
DoubleO_Ren
Alpha Trading Boss
Alpha Trading Boss

Postby Clint » Mon Feb 15, 2010 12:52 pm

Suzuki>Kojima

Shenmue was shaping up to be miles better than anything we've seen from Kojima. He's very talented, no doubt, but overrated by a lot of people. And this is coming from a fan of his games.

MGS turned out a mess. Great games they were, but a mess nonetheless.

Shenmue is a near perfect example of how you tell a story. It's just a shame the voice acting sets it back and it was never finished.

I could write an essay as to why it's that good, if you'd like.
Clint
"Keep Friends"
"Keep Friends"

Currently playing: Fallout 3

Postby Kenny » Mon Feb 15, 2010 2:05 pm

Riku wrote:I doubt he hates it as it seems no one wanted the next two games other then himself.

If you're talking about MGS3, he wanted to step down but no takers so he came back on. And MGS4 is when he got the death threats. MGS2 was when the ball was suppose to drop.

I was talking about he probably doesn't want anything to do with the series anymore after 4. Not during 2 or 3.
Kenny
is Gwenpool™
Shenmue III

PreviousNext

Return to Shenmue III