OMG 2 LanDis(???)-and some other stuff to ponder about S3

(Chapter 7 and beyond)

Postby Miles Prower » Mon Mar 08, 2004 3:56 am

It's no doubt just a mistake by the American artist who drew it.
Miles Prower
"Keep Friends"
"Keep Friends"

XBL: sppeac1987
Favorite title: Shenmue II

Postby Zezerith » Mon Mar 08, 2004 5:54 am

Lan Dis real name could be Chang Longsun Sumning. I guess that would make sense. It could be that just didn't want you to know Zhao Sumning was Lan Dis father in the first game.
Zezerith
Man Mo Acolyte
Man Mo Acolyte

Postby Spoonfan » Mon Mar 08, 2004 8:29 am

OMG guyz 1nce I saw a pic of Enrique Iglesisisis (OMG SO HOT) and his moel was on 1 side then I saws another pic and ti was on teh ohter sied! Deos tihs mean their are 2 ENRIQUEs!? OMG SO HoT, becoz then me and my best frined could haev 1 each!!1!11!11

Peter C wrote:The same problem arises with Master Chen giving you the letter, so you are introduced to Tishao Lao, however in Shenmue 2 Xbox the name Tao Lishao is used.

Wasn't it Tao Lishao in Shenmue and Lishao Tao in Shenmue II? I don't think there was ever a spoonerism involved. ;)
Spoonfan
Alpha Trading Boss
Alpha Trading Boss

Postby Peter » Mon Mar 08, 2004 10:06 am

Sorry yes Tao Lishao is used in Shenmue 2 Xbox. It gets confusing with them names. Both Lan Di's and Ryos scar/plaster have ALWAYS been under their left eye.
Peter
Shenmue Dojo Owner
Shenmue III

PSN: TheGasmeter
Currently playing: Shenmue 2x

Postby Jiezeru » Mon Mar 08, 2004 12:48 pm

Na, what someone said earlier, they sometimes invert the pictures.
Jiezeru
Man Mo Acolyte
Man Mo Acolyte

Postby Peter » Mon Mar 08, 2004 7:53 pm

Yes inversions are done, or head on shots of Lan di, but if you look in the same direction hes facing, in any of his pictures, then you should find that his (and Ryo's) scar is under the left eye
Peter
Shenmue Dojo Owner
Shenmue III

Postby Sir JC Denton » Mon Mar 08, 2004 8:12 pm

Peter C wrote:
AnimeGamer183 wrote:although the whole name differences... well there are a few name differences but only one thats really that important and it was only switched around from "Zhu Yuanda" to "Yuanda Zhu" nothing that big I wouldnt say... although it still makes you wonder... HMMMM

This name change is simply the idiotic work of either the translator or American script writer for Shenmue 2 on the Xbox. The Japanese language consists not just of completely different characters compared to our enlgish alphabet, but also read from right to left. Instead of being Yuanda Zhu, it correctly should be Zhu Yuanda. The same problem arises with Master Chen giving you the letter, so you are introduced to Tishao Lao, however in Shenmue 2 Xbox the name Tao Lishao is used.

The only explanation here is that either the translator and script writer did not understand that this was the case with names, or the translation and script was electronically done on a PC, or translation kit of some sort. With those names that dont sound right, just reverse them around, ie Zunming Zhao, is Zhao Zunming

Actually, it's not a mistake. In China, your family name comes before your individual name. That's why in the first one Sunming Zhao's name is Zhao Sunming, Yuanda Zhu's name is Zhu Yuanda, and Lishao Tao's name is Tao Lishao. And even if it was a translation error, you don't think the translator would mess up three times and the errors would still get into the game do you? The reason why they probably changed it, is to keep gamers from getting confused when Lan Di's real name is finally revealed. Players would get confused mainly because, Longsun Zhao's name would become Zhao Longsun, meaning that both Lan Di's real first name and his father's first name are exactly the same, but they don't have the same last name (Zhao Longsun and Zhao Sunming as oppsed to Sunming Zhao and Longsun Zhao). And a good example of the chinese name thing; look at Ren's bio in the instruction manuel, it's got his name as Wuying Ren. There's my rough explanation.
Sir JC Denton
Alpha Trading Boss
Alpha Trading Boss

Postby Peter » Mon Mar 08, 2004 8:17 pm

I stand corrected JC. Thanks for that. That was my own explanation for the backward names in Shenmue 2, but you explain the actual reason well. But does anyone not think "Zhu Yuanda" sounds better, or "Tishao Lao"

BTW JUST before i read your post JC,i looked at the manual, for like the 1st time since the Dreamcast, and noticed Rens first name! Cheers!
Peter
Shenmue Dojo Owner
Shenmue III

Postby Sir JC Denton » Mon Mar 08, 2004 8:19 pm

Peter C wrote:I stand corrected JC. Thanks for that. That was my own explanation for the backward names in Shenmue 2, but you explain the actual reason well. But does anyone not think "Zhu Yuanda" sounds better, or "Tishao Lao"

BTW JUST before i read your post JC,i looked at the manual, for like the 1st time since the Dreamcast, and noticed Rens first name! Cheers!

I liked Zhu Yuanda better, mainly because I was used to it and then they switched the names around and fucked with my head.
Sir JC Denton
Alpha Trading Boss
Alpha Trading Boss

Postby Peter » Mon Mar 08, 2004 8:31 pm

Here here. Also for me, it sounded better, just as Zhao Sunming, and Tishao Lao
Peter
Shenmue Dojo Owner
Shenmue III

Postby Sir JC Denton » Mon Mar 08, 2004 8:35 pm

It's Lishao Tao dude. I think the main reason why Zhao Sunming sounds better is because it's in one of the most famous lines ever, "Do you remember Zhao Sunming?" second only to, "For the last time, where is the mirror?"
Sir JC Denton
Alpha Trading Boss
Alpha Trading Boss

Postby Peter » Mon Mar 08, 2004 8:45 pm

best lines : "For the last time, where is the mirror" is the best, but not in the game itself. I got a trailer for Shenmue on a Disk free with official Dreamcast Magazine (issue 3 i think it was) back in 1999 . That line was said with the use of another camera angle, the angle where Lan Di says "Get up, and il allow you to die like a warrior" .Now when it was used with this angle the movement of Lan Dis mouth is exact to the line, and also very good as the orchestra music is playing in the background.

Had anyone else got that Trailer? Its not the same as those on the passport wth Shenmue 1. This one is the only version of its kind ive seen.
Peter
Shenmue Dojo Owner
Shenmue III

Postby Mr. Frozen » Tue Mar 09, 2004 6:59 am

Peter C wrote:best lines : "For the last time, where is the mirror" is the best, but not in the game itself. I got a trailer for Shenmue on a Disk free with official Dreamcast Magazine (issue 3 i think it was) back in 1999 . That line was said with the use of another camera angle, the angle where Lan Di says "Get up, and il allow you to die like a warrior" .Now when it was used with this angle the movement of Lan Dis mouth is exact to the line, and also very good as the orchestra music is playing in the background.

Had anyone else got that Trailer? Its not the same as those on the passport wth Shenmue 1. This one is the only version of its kind ive seen.

Yea, I have it. I also got it in the Dreamcast magazine. Damn, I didnt know I got it that far back in 1999, though. :?

I watched that trailer like 500 times before I actually got the real game.
Mr. Frozen
Machine Gun Fist
Machine Gun Fist

Postby Peter » Tue Mar 09, 2004 9:32 am

Oh Jesus no i watched it more times than that! I had a routine of playing the Tony Hawk demo, then watching the trailer.

My apologies, that demo disc came with the magazine that had the review of the first Shenmue. It was released in December 2000, not 1999.

My apologies Ice cream man, i got the dates mixed up as november 1999 was when i seen a very early preview of Shenmue in issue 1, and i fell obsessive with the game, following its every step.
Peter
Shenmue Dojo Owner
Shenmue III

Postby Jiezeru » Tue Mar 09, 2004 12:45 pm

Yeah i got the demo.
Jiezeru
Man Mo Acolyte
Man Mo Acolyte

PreviousNext