There is high probability Sega going to support Shenmue III.

(Chapter 7 and beyond)

Re: There is high probability Sega going to support Shenmue

Postby AnimeGamer183 » Sun Aug 02, 2015 1:02 pm

R3N wrote:I expect Sega to invest atleast 10 million to 20 million now on Shenmue brand.

:rotflmao: This guy...

AnimeGamer183 has received a thanks from: Himuro
AnimeGamer183
Shenmue III
Shenmue III

Postby shenmue852 » Sun Aug 02, 2015 1:21 pm

R3N wrote: Image

I doubt Sega would allow an indie looking game under their brand. Especially now they promised to focus on making "Quality games"
I expect Sega to invest atleast 10 million to 20 million now on Shenmue brand.

They have Sega under their copywrite so is very obvious Sega will back this project with some funding.

At Least they should out source Shenmue Remake to Ys.net

If things go great and dreams continue to come true. We may see a Shenmue remake of Shenmue I and Shenmue II on Unreal engine 4. So that the 3 games will be compatible and we can transfer save files.

Uh, no that's legal acknowledgment that the copyright is under license from Sega.

If they were using a Capcom IP it would say licensed from Capcom.

Like it even specifies that only the original game is from Sega, and they granted the copyright to YsNet, which means it's a YsNet game.

I think most people agree that Sega will eventually re release the old games because the new game's announcement makes that more profitable than it would've been before, but it's not going to happen overnight because it's a big enough game that it requires higher development costs to port than most other games when the main reason studios re release old games is because of smaller sales figures with higher profits due to very little investment required. When they have to invest money and it's not guaranteed to be either 100% profit or widely successful, it's going to take longer for them to prepare the venture, both in terms of the time it takes to port such a huge game properly and their own market analysis of whether it's financially viable for them.
shenmue852
Man Mo Acolyte
Man Mo Acolyte

Postby ShenmueTree » Sun Aug 02, 2015 1:55 pm

Still haven't stopped laughing at the OP, and I started hours ago.

Nice troll, man. :D
ShenmueTree
"After Burner...Great!"
"After Burner...Great!"

Postby Let's Get Sweaty » Sun Aug 02, 2015 2:22 pm

Monkei wrote:Plus, another thing I noticed: 'Shenmue III'... 'III'? 'III'=3!

WHAT?!

I've been pronouncing it "SHENMUE ILL" this WHOLE time! :bashpc:

Let's Get Sweaty has received a thanks from: Thief
Let's Get Sweaty
Machine Gun Fist
Machine Gun Fist

Favorite title: Shenmue IIx
Currently playing: truant

Postby shredingskin » Sun Aug 02, 2015 2:26 pm

To be honest there's no "high probablity" of anything.

But it can make sense in someway. Now that we know that YSnet is going to be the publisher (at least for pc), there's not much to do with SEGA. BUT they still hold the IP, and IP they can still use (let's say SEGA wants some money and say they want it on xbone), or just they wanting to make Shenmue IV, they can invest some money on this just to give the IP a higher value (even to just sit on it).
shredingskin
Machine Gun Fist
Machine Gun Fist

Favorite title: Shenmue
Currently playing: Some indie games.

Postby Himuro » Sun Aug 02, 2015 2:47 pm

Let's Get Sweaty wrote:
Monkei wrote:Plus, another thing I noticed: 'Shenmue III'... 'III'? 'III'=3!

WHAT?!

I've been pronouncing it "SHENMUE ILL" this WHOLE time! :bashpc:

Time is Illmatic keep static like wool fabric

Himuro has received a thanks from: Rakim
Himuro
Banned
Banned

Postby redline » Sun Aug 02, 2015 4:31 pm

$ega
redline
"After Burner...Great!"
"After Burner...Great!"

Postby Supa » Sun Aug 02, 2015 7:30 pm

Kenny wrote:
south carmain wrote: lol
Supa
"Keep Friends"
"Keep Friends"

Favorite title: Shenmue

Postby shenmue852 » Mon Aug 03, 2015 2:09 am

shredingskin wrote: To be honest there's no "high probablity" of anything.

But it can make sense in someway. Now that we know that YSnet is going to be the publisher (at least for pc), there's not much to do with SEGA. BUT they still hold the IP, and IP they can still use (let's say SEGA wants some money and say they want it on xbone), or just they wanting to make Shenmue IV, they can invest some money on this just to give the IP a higher value (even to just sit on it).

If Sega wants it to be on the Xbone they'll have to pay for it themselves, YsNet has no money except its donations :P
shenmue852
Man Mo Acolyte
Man Mo Acolyte

Postby shenmue852 » Mon Aug 03, 2015 3:25 am

Giorgio wrote: SEGA-SAMMY will invest funds for Shenmue 3, but they didn't bother to make a free tweet/post on their social media accounts about its Kickstarter. Hmm...

If there's one thing they will probably invest for, now that Shenmue 3's Kickstarter is a success, that would be Shenmue 1 & 2 HD. They need to pay out that engine license.

Engine license? I think 5 Yakuza games based on Shenmue's resources (improvements in the sequels still paid for themselves) kind of recouped that loss. If you mean the copyright license, it cost Sega nothing to give it to the person who created the IP anyway, it's not like it was going to be used by anyone else there.

I would be kind of surprised if Sega turned out to be an undisclosed partner that only agreed to conditional funding. From what we can tell it's Shibuya that's the primary funding source other than Kickstarter. YsNet and Neilo aren't investing any money. Aside from Sony I think there might be a mystery backer, but somehow I doubt it's going to have been Sega all along.

Sega's ports could materialize any time between next month and Shenmue III's release date. They might even be cheap enough to wait for Shenmue III's sales figures before they bother. Shenmue is Sega's reminder of failure, Apple Newton and its New Coke. The company's board and stockholders are not comfortable with investing a dime in Shenmue.
shenmue852
Man Mo Acolyte
Man Mo Acolyte

Postby Sonoshee » Mon Aug 03, 2015 7:24 pm

shenmue852 wrote: Shenmue is Sega's reminder of failure.

It wasn't Shenmue that delivered their failure, it was Sega themselves through countless idiotic decisions since the Mega CD. Sounds about right they'd hold Shenmue responsible though.
Sonoshee
"After Burner...Great!"
"After Burner...Great!"

Postby shenmue852 » Tue Aug 04, 2015 2:52 am

Yes, I wasn't saying I agreed with Sega's view, just explaining my understanding of it. Shenmue was tied to the dreamcast's success, which is part of the reason it got its unprecedented development budget, it was supposed to help sell the console- so the console's failure (and thereby the company's) was inevitably linked to the game, even if it wasn't caused by it.

I don't think most of Sega's shareholders are fans. I think they're people that want a return on their investment and want to avoid losing money by investing in Sega, so Shenmue is not what they want to hear about, at all. Of course, I think that's going to change if Shenmue III and/or re releases of the first games sell well.
shenmue852
Man Mo Acolyte
Man Mo Acolyte

Postby Sonoshee » Tue Aug 04, 2015 4:03 am

shenmue852 wrote:I don't think most of Sega's shareholders are fans. I think they're people that want a return on their investment and want to avoid losing money by investing in Sega, so Shenmue is not what they want to hear about, at all.

But they are happy to let Sonic Boom 2 go into development despite the first being the worst selling Sonic game of all time. Go figure Sega. =D>
Sonoshee
"After Burner...Great!"
"After Burner...Great!"

Postby SlySpy » Tue Aug 04, 2015 5:52 am

There's a high probability that you're high.
SlySpy
Man Mo Acolyte
Man Mo Acolyte

Postby Yokosuka » Tue Aug 04, 2015 10:55 am

Sonoshee wrote:
shenmue852 wrote:I don't think most of Sega's shareholders are fans. I think they're people that want a return on their investment and want to avoid losing money by investing in Sega, so Shenmue is not what they want to hear about, at all.

But they are happy to let Sonic Boom 2 go into development despite the first being the worst selling Sonic game of all time. Go figure Sega. =D>

The anime is a success it seems, there's still an opportunity to make some money with this brand.
Yokosuka
Machine Gun Fist
Machine Gun Fist

Favorite title: Shenmue II
Currently playing: Rocket League

PreviousNext

Return to Shenmue III