The big boss!!!

(Chapter 7 and beyond)

Postby Darth Akron » Fri May 04, 2007 5:57 am

Indeed, they are. The four leaders of the Chiyoumen play the role of lieutenants to an all-ruling fifth member known simply as Tentei. We know nothing about this leader except his or her name (though it's more of a title), and although it's unconfirmed officially, many of us believe Lan Di was ordered to retrieve the mirrors by Tentei. This is something that isn't commonly known outside of hardcore communities like this, as it is never mentioned in the games.

Thanks alot for the info VGAce those where somethings that I wasn't sure about but that clears alot up for me :) I find it very interesting about the idea that this "big boss" of them all tentei sent Lan Di to get the mirror I would have thought he would have known about both mirrors so why not instruct Lan Di to get both the Pheonix and the Dragon mirror. Not criticsing the theory though its just i've never heard it before and wandered if you could expand on it for me VGAce?

It also makes me wander is Lan Di actually the most powerfull of the Lieutenants, Ryo is after him because he killed his father now could the fight between Lan Di and himself lead him onto the bigger picture so to speak and mean that some revelation during or after the fight may mean that he wants to track down the rest of the Chi yu men members? If this is so then it would be very possible that at the start of Shenmue 3 there could be a confrontation between Ryo and Lan Di in the cave, this is just another theory though.

when ryo turns his back lan di trys to pull a cheat shot from behind when ryu pulls off an ultimate move

I would have to disagree with you there MOE2FREAKY24, although it is a great idea I dont think that even if Lan Di turned out to be the final boss he would pull "a cheap shot" I dont think its in his character after all he did allow Iwao to "die like a warrior"
Darth Akron
Funny Bear Burger Clerk
Funny Bear Burger Clerk

Postby Hazuki Legend » Fri May 04, 2007 8:33 am

I love that quote "Get up, i will allow you to die like a warrior" there's no way Lan Di would pull a cheap shot.
Hazuki Legend
Est. 1989
Machine Gun Fist

XBL: Dan Whale 89

Postby FRASIER » Fri May 04, 2007 10:13 am

how much of lan di have we actually seen? how many times has he cropped up? how much do we actually know about him? We have only really seen him kill Ryos father, and we dont really know the full reason behind that so don't go assuming this Lan Di is the worst guy in the world and that he could be the ultimate boss! what are your thoughts on this? could he be that bad, after all we all know it was him who wandered off into the desert after the chi-yu-men for revenge, he got turned into this killing machine, he may still have a soul!
FRASIER
"After Burner...Great!"
"After Burner...Great!"

Postby Darth Akron » Fri May 04, 2007 2:34 pm

after all we all know it was him who wandered off into the desert after the chi-yu-men for revenge, he got turned into this killing machine, he may still have a soul!

I think you may be confused I believe that you are talking about Xuiyings brother Ziming who is one of the Chiyumen but we haven't seen him in the series I believe he is Ziming the White Tiger.

I believe that Ziming worked his way into the higher ranks of the Chiyoumen to get close to its leaders and I think he learned about the mirrors and about the legends of the warrior from a distant land and he is biding his time until he can meet that warrior and I think he will help Ryo when he sees the half of the necklace that Xuiying gave him.

As for Lan Di it seems he did share a similar story but he has gotten his revenge against Ryo's father. Personally I don't class him as good or evil true he did kill Ryo's father but his mission was to get the mirror killing Ryo's father was simply something he did to avenge the death of the man he mentioned (Sorry can't remember his name) perhaps his link to Iwao was why he was chosen above the other Chiyoumen for the mission.
Darth Akron
Funny Bear Burger Clerk
Funny Bear Burger Clerk

Postby Darth Akron » Fri May 04, 2007 2:39 pm

I love that quote "Get up, i will allow you to die like a warrior"

Yeah I love it too Hazuki Legend its one of my favourite lines from a game

Its up there with "Hey, Jill take this lock pick your the master of unlocking" Well.......... its not quite Shenmue standard but I got a softspot for it
ahhh the memories I mean what would the world be with out Resident Evil and Barry Burton :)
Darth Akron
Funny Bear Burger Clerk
Funny Bear Burger Clerk

Postby FRASIER » Fri May 04, 2007 4:17 pm

well that made me look shit, cheers dude!
FRASIER
"After Burner...Great!"
"After Burner...Great!"

Postby Darth Akron » Fri May 04, 2007 4:48 pm

Its ok man sorry I didn't mean it to come across like I was been a smart ass or anything its an easy mistake to make, infact before the Shenmue comic came out there was alot of speculation that Lan Di was Xuiyings brother because of the scar/mark under his eye and the boy walking into the desert has a similar scar/mark, but its definately Ziming walking into the desert not Lan Di.
Darth Akron
Funny Bear Burger Clerk
Funny Bear Burger Clerk

Postby VGAce » Fri May 04, 2007 9:50 pm

Darth Akron wrote:Thanks alot for the info VGAce those where somethings that I wasn't sure about but that clears alot up for me I find it very interesting about the idea that this "big boss" of them all tentei sent Lan Di to get the mirror I would have thought he would have known about both mirrors so why not instruct Lan Di to get both the Pheonix and the Dragon mirror. Not criticsing the theory though its just i've never heard it before and wandered if you could expand on it for me VGAce?

I really can't elaborate much more on this particular part of the background story because, like I said, it's all we know. I'm pretty sure it was Kiyuu who originally divulged this information to the forum. According to her it's official canon, and pretty much everyone trusts her word on the matter. If I recall correctly, Tentei was a figure mentioned in Japanese strategy guides and other publications for Shenmue, so it's no wonder most Westerners don't know such information. There's a lot more info in those Japanese guides than in the dime-a-dozen Western strategy guides.

Kiyuu could perhaps clarify more and correct any inaccuracies I may have stated.
VGAce
Machine Gun Fist
Machine Gun Fist

Postby Darth Akron » Sat May 05, 2007 12:00 pm

Thanks alot anyway VGAce the info was really usefull and cleared up alot of things for me :)
Darth Akron
Funny Bear Burger Clerk
Funny Bear Burger Clerk

Postby Kiyuu » Sat May 05, 2007 2:21 pm

VGAce wrote:
Darth Akron wrote:Thanks alot for the info VGAce those where somethings that I wasn't sure about but that clears alot up for me I find it very interesting about the idea that this "big boss" of them all tentei sent Lan Di to get the mirror I would have thought he would have known about both mirrors so why not instruct Lan Di to get both the Pheonix and the Dragon mirror. Not criticsing the theory though its just i've never heard it before and wandered if you could expand on it for me VGAce?

I really can't elaborate much more on this particular part of the background story because, like I said, it's all we know. I'm pretty sure it was Kiyuu who originally divulged this information to the forum. According to her it's official canon, and pretty much everyone trusts her word on the matter. If I recall correctly, Tentei was a figure mentioned in Japanese strategy guides and other publications for Shenmue, so it's no wonder most Westerners don't know such information. There's a lot more info in those Japanese guides than in the dime-a-dozen Western strategy guides.

Kiyuu could perhaps clarify more and correct any inaccuracies I may have stated.

Thank you for the explanation, VGAce!

"Shenmue II Complete Guide," one of the Japanese official guidebooks, says that Chiyou men
is an organization headed by Tentei (Tian Di in Chinese pronunciation) and is managed by four
executives. And, it's Tentei who ordered Lan Di to obtain the Dragon and the Phoenix mirrors.

BTW, Shitenno (four kings) and Tentei (heavenly emperor) is rather well-known terms among
Japanese gamers/anime fans. They seem to be creators' favorite concepts/characters. In fact,
SEGA-AM2 have given "Tentei" as the highest rank to the winner at a VF 4 tournament.

Last edited by Kiyuu on Sun May 06, 2007 2:57 am, edited 1 time in total.
Kiyuu
News Poster
News Poster

Postby FRASIER » Sat May 05, 2007 3:27 pm

Darth Akron wrote:Its ok man sorry I didn't mean it to come across like I was been a smart ass or anything its an easy mistake to make, infact before the Shenmue comic came out there was alot of speculation that Lan Di was Xuiyings brother because of the scar/mark under his eye and the boy walking into the desert has a similar scar/mark, but its definately Ziming walking into the desert not Lan Di.

its cool mate, im a bit rusty on me shenmue knowledge anyway, I have not played it for ages.
FRASIER
"After Burner...Great!"
"After Burner...Great!"

Postby Morcant » Sun May 06, 2007 2:12 am

I find the amount of mystery surrounding this 'Tentei' fascinating. It would appear that even Master Chen doesn't know about him, as he incorrectly identifies Lan Di as the leader of the Chi You Men.

But, for my part, I see it happening this way.

Xiuying will fight Ziming and either kill him or bring him back.

Ryo will fight the other three, Lan Di being the last. I think Ryo will defeat him with the help of his father's spirit (I can imagine Ryo going in for the final incapacitating hit and from Lan Di's perspective seeing Iwao super imposed over Ryo.) Perhaps Tentei will kill Lan Di for failing him. Ryo will fight Tentei and get whooped and then Shenhua will use the powers of the phoenix to defeat Tentei (who may or may not be the vessel for Chi You.)

Who knows, maybe there will even be an idiot American truck driver involved.
Morcant
Master of the Three Blades
Master of the Three Blades

Postby Kiyuu » Sun May 06, 2007 2:53 am

Aegir Shipbane wrote:I find the amount of mystery surrounding this 'Tentei' fascinating. It would appear that even Master Chen doesn't know about him, as he incorrectly identifies Lan Di as the leader of the Chi You Men.

Actually, in the original Japanese version, Master Chen doesn't identify Lan Di
as the head of the Chiyou men, but as one of the executives.
Kiyuu
News Poster
News Poster

Postby Darth Akron » Sun May 06, 2007 1:33 pm

Wow thanks Kiyuu thats some really interesting stuff. I wonder why in the English version they refer to Lan Di as the head of the Chiyu Men, an error in translation perhaps?

Another question that comes to mind is if Lan Di was sent for both mirrors how come he only asked for the Dragon mirror? Surely Tentei would have known about both. Thanks again for the information though Kiyuu the stuff on Niao Sun was awesome as well :)

Xiuying will fight Ziming and either kill him or bring him back

Its a good idea Aegir Shipbane but I don't like the sound of Xuiying fighting Ziming and I certainly don't think she would kill her brother, I think he will have a major role and I think after fighting Ryo will aid him against the remaining Chiyou Men, because if you remember he left on a quest to avenge the death of his parents who where killed by the Chiyou Men.
Darth Akron
Funny Bear Burger Clerk
Funny Bear Burger Clerk

Postby Ziming » Sun May 06, 2007 3:59 pm

Darth Akron wrote:Wow thanks Kiyuu thats some really interesting stuff. I wonder why in the English version they refer to Lan Di as the head of the Chiyu Men, an error in translation perhaps?

Another question that comes to mind is if Lan Di was sent for both mirrors how come he only asked for the Dragon mirror? Surely Tentei would have known about both. Thanks again for the information though Kiyuu the stuff on Niao Sun was awesome as well :)

Lan Di believed Iwao kept only one of the mirrors, be it dragon or phoenix he was not specific.

"For the last time, where is the mirror?"
"Hand over the mirror, or else your son"
Ziming
Banned
Banned

PreviousNext

Return to Shenmue III