Shenmue III the last in the series?

(Chapter 7 and beyond)

Will there be more installments after Shenmue III? (Total votes: 21)

Yes
38%
No
43%
There won't even be a Shenmue III
19%

Shenmue III the last in the series?

Postby etjester » Tue Jun 10, 2003 1:55 am

At this point i feel pretty good about there being a Shenmue III, but from what i'm seeing in polls and such it looks like many people believe there will be a shenmue IV and perhaps more installments.

Do we really believe that in spite of the less than stellar sales of Shenmue II on the Xbox, Suzuki will feel inclined to persue further installments?

Remember folks, games cost money. A lot of money. At the time of its release shenmue was the most expensive game of all time at an incredible $70 million, meaning for Sega to make a profit it would have to sell tons and tons of copies.

And lets be honest with ourselves, our community of Shenmue fanatics just isnt as large as we'd like to believe. I hate to play devil's advocate, but how can we expect Sega to contnue to make games just to satesfy a relatively small number of people?

Anyway, let me know what you think.
etjester
Man Mo Acolyte
Man Mo Acolyte

Postby rens of heavens » Tue Jun 10, 2003 3:30 am

Shenmue will last forever! The more Sega games we buy. The more of a chance Shenmue 3 will coming out.
rens of heavens
"After Burner...Great!"
"After Burner...Great!"

Favorite title: Shenmue

Postby ChaiOgawa » Tue Jun 10, 2003 3:42 am

At this point in the shenmue life, I believe that yes shenmue 3 is going to be the last game in this series. My vote was on the edge of there not begin a shenmue 3 and it being the last, But I think it will come out.. and it will be the last. They have a pivitul decision to make if they think this game will sell well then they wont decide to put all the rest of the chapters in shenmue3 and go onto make a last shenmue 4. But shenmue 3 will be the last. I think it might be best that way. Besides with all the rest of the chapters in one game, it will take a long time to play.
ChaiOgawa

Postby Realillusion » Tue Jun 10, 2003 3:56 pm

It can't stop at Shenmue3. It would take an awfully long time to put 9 of the chapters left in one game? I think the series will go on. And to answer what you said about Shenmue costing 70 Million Dollars to make. That is becuase they made over half of Shenmue on the Saturn already and then it was a failed project so they had to remake it on the Dreamcast and some parts failed on that too sao they remade it again until it was succesful leading to the cost of 70 Million Dollars to make. It diddn't take 70 Million Dollars to make just the Dreamcast Version, it also took that amount of money to make the Saturn Version which was never released. Shenmue2 diddn't nearly cost near 70 Million Dollars to make! So Yu will probably make another Shenmue.
Realillusion
"After Burner...Great!"
"After Burner...Great!"

Postby adi » Tue Jun 10, 2003 3:59 pm

what the hell. i dont even have a xbox and i visit these sites why because i had a dreamcast and even though i hate the xbox and always will iam always to be loyal to shenmue. anyway no more depresing shit. i think that due to the ...BAD (lol) sales of shenmue on the xbox i think that there isnt going to even be a shenmue 3. what ya gonna do this is reality.....
adi
Fuku-san
Fuku-san

Postby ::RFY:: » Tue Jun 10, 2003 4:11 pm

Considering the large sums of money it takes to produce a game as in depth as Shenmue, and as money is a huge concern for the development team at AM2, I dont think Shenmue will live past the third installment. I am guessing Shenmue III will be the last, but in a dim hope, believe there might be that little chance of more installments. If I had a billion dollars, I would fund Yu Suzuki and his crew so that they could make many additions to the series. Its alright however, there is always that chance that they will re-release the Shenmue series with updated graphics, extras, and other parts of the game we didnt know existed on the xbox, kinda like re-releasing the Resident Evil series in an updated fashion. I dont know, I am praying for at least Shenmue III....but once we beat it, what then? I mean seriously, have you ever thought about beating it all? This game cant have any end, but if it does end where I think it will end, then I am ready to get pissed. I wasted enough space in this thread.
::RFY::
Man Mo Acolyte
Man Mo Acolyte

Postby Realillusion » Tue Jun 10, 2003 4:23 pm

It could very well end. Lan Di could kill Ryo? It's a possibility. Yu is probably thinking,"well since this is the last installment of the series, why not make Ryo die to end it all?" Maybe that's what he is gonna do. If Shenmue3 does happen, it will probably be a jaw dropping dramatic ending to the series. There is soooo much to tell about the series and to end it all in one game? It is gonna be big!
Realillusion
"After Burner...Great!"
"After Burner...Great!"

Postby ::RFY:: » Tue Jun 10, 2003 4:26 pm

shenmuefan14 wrote:It could very well end. Lan Di could kill Ryo? It's a possibility. Yu is probably thinking,"well since this is the last installment of the series, why not make Ryo die to end it all?" Maybe that's what he is gonna do. If Shenmue3 does happen, it will probably be a jaw dropping dramatic ending to the series. There is soooo much to tell about the series and to end it all in one game? It is gonna be big!

It would be sweet if it took up 6, yes, SIX DVD's. It would be massive, and make all of us happy. I am just praying for a long ass game that takes 10 days to complete if you dont sleep at all.....thats a huge game :D
::RFY::
Man Mo Acolyte
Man Mo Acolyte

Postby Kâiñ » Tue Jun 10, 2003 6:13 pm

I hope suzuki will fit the rest of the story into shenmue 3 because i dont
wanna go through all this waiting again
Kâiñ
Alpha Trading Boss
Alpha Trading Boss

Postby MidnightGamer » Tue Jun 10, 2003 6:27 pm

First, the Shenmue series is a gaming work of art. It is innovative, and the entire gaming community respects it.
Second, The strong fanbase is what keeps Shenmue alive, but there is always newcomers hwo strengthen the fanbase
Last, Shenmue kicks butt!
Okay, I think there will be more than Shenmue 3. It would be too big (5 discs?) to fit everything into one game. That'd be really cool though!
MidnightGamer
Master of the Three Blades

Postby Contristo » Tue Jun 10, 2003 6:31 pm

There will most likely be no Shenmue III but in the case there is, it will be the last considering AM2 does not care about the franchise anymore and does not spend anymore cash on it.
Contristo

Postby Realillusion » Tue Jun 10, 2003 10:08 pm

How could you say that! Shenmue will LIVE ON!!!!
Realillusion
"After Burner...Great!"
"After Burner...Great!"

Postby Madddddoggggg » Tue Jun 10, 2003 10:12 pm

Of course there will be more because Yu wants money Sega wants money and Stores that sell games want money so of course they will make more games because of THe $$$$$$$$$$!!!!!
Madddddoggggg
Funny Bear Burger Clerk
Funny Bear Burger Clerk

Location: Sacramento,California,USA,North America,Earth,Universe

Postby Zhao » Wed Jun 11, 2003 7:55 am

whoever said shenmue 3 is not coming out should leave these forums rite now! before i destroy you
Zhao
Man Mo Acolyte
Man Mo Acolyte

Postby owl » Wed Jun 11, 2003 8:32 am

If they had the intention of releasing more games, then Shenmue III would already be out by now and we would be waiting for a Shenmue IV. I hear many people saying that Shenmue has a strong fan-base...well, the reality is that it doesn't and sales prove that Shenmue does not have anywhere near the support it needs to continue the series. Weak support means less money, and remember that they need sufficient funding to make more games. There probably will be a Shenmue III, but it will definitely be the last IMO, whether the story finishes at Shenmue III or not.
owl
Funny Bear Burger Clerk
Funny Bear Burger Clerk

Next

Return to Shenmue III