Lets hope this doesnt flop

(Chapter 7 and beyond)

Lets hope this doesnt flop

Postby Take Dey Money » Tue Aug 03, 2004 1:57 pm

If sega has thirty Million dollars to make a shenmue game. WHY are they gonna spin off the main series. They should use that to make S3. If this game doesnt sell well, there probably wont be a shenmue 3.
Take Dey Money
Master of the Three Blades
Master of the Three Blades

Postby Kamikaze Kenny » Tue Aug 03, 2004 1:59 pm

But if it does do well, imagine the rewards. Especially if you have monthly subscriptions. Plus it'd push the Shenmue name back into the limelight a little.
Kamikaze Kenny
Man Mo Acolyte
Man Mo Acolyte

Postby Jacob Marley » Tue Aug 03, 2004 1:59 pm

I don't know.

Somehow I just get the feeling that this online version will be suicide for the Shenmue series.
Yes, I should be grateful that the property will be used once again, but man, why does it have to be utilized in this manner?
Jacob Marley
"After Burner...Great!"
"After Burner...Great!"

Postby Peter » Tue Aug 03, 2004 2:01 pm

Its a very clever advertising tool, and ultimately a way for Sega to make a lot more money off the Shenmue series than the individual story games ever could. Not only does this MMOGRPG of Shenmue push the game back into the public eye, but the series is now opened up to a whole new audience, in both the PC and the Online world.

God i genuinely think Suzuki is a genius, and this idea of Shenmue Online, gives Shenmue more hope and chance than it ever had with a resurrection of the originals, or even the best advertising campaign in the world could have done.
Peter
Shenmue Dojo Owner
Shenmue III

PSN: TheGasmeter
Favorite title: Shenmue II
Currently playing: Shenmue 2x

Postby Axm » Tue Aug 03, 2004 2:01 pm

its creative and breakthrough for the Shenmue series. thats what its always been about. being somthing new and exciting is what Shenmue has always strived to be.
Axm
#SaveShenmueHD
News Poster

Postby TheRonin » Tue Aug 03, 2004 2:06 pm

I'm gonna start counting how many people use those pics in there sig :)
TheRonin
Man Mo Acolyte
Man Mo Acolyte

Postby rome » Tue Aug 03, 2004 2:15 pm

Yea there is alot now^ I believe this will help the chance of Shenmue 3, and hopefully it does sell good.
rome
Machine Gun Fist
Machine Gun Fist

Favorite title: Shenmue
Currently playing: Shenmue II

Postby paddy_ryan » Tue Aug 03, 2004 2:48 pm

I think the main reasion a 3rd party(well to of them) has been brougt in to make S:Online is becuse DR are making Shenmue 3 to be realised AFTER Online.
paddy_ryan
Man Mo Acolyte
Man Mo Acolyte

Postby Capucine » Tue Aug 03, 2004 4:09 pm

It's all about getting backing from investors. It's quite possible that Shenmue III was not a very appealing title from the view of investors so they've tried to make the name a little more comercial. If this game is a hit, and God willing it will be, investors are going to be climbing over each other to back Shenmue III. A successful MMORPG means a contant steady income, an unsuccessful MMORPG means millions down the drain. In essence, everybody has too much riding on this for it to fail.

If Shenmue III is announced in the future... We know Yu's little plan has worked.
Capucine
Asia Travel Representative

Postby SpikyAd » Tue Aug 03, 2004 4:13 pm

This must be mean there will be some more news on Shenmue Online at TGS, prehaps a little bit about Shenmue III. Like if Shenmue Online sell well, then we will make Shenmue III.
SpikyAd
"After Burner...Great!"
"After Burner...Great!"

Postby PirateMuffins » Tue Aug 03, 2004 4:18 pm

I think this is a step in the right direction, i don't think Sega wanted to release Shenmue 3 just for it to bomb at retail, but make an online game along the way and make the name more popular before Shenmue 3 arrives.
PirateMuffins
"After Burner...Great!"
"After Burner...Great!"

Postby Capucine » Tue Aug 03, 2004 4:22 pm

Really, this game doesn't even really need to sell. Just a tech demo of this game shown to an investor with Yu jumping up and down and yelling "Look at how awsome Shenmue III could be! We just need all your cash!" might work :D And if Shenmue III is indeed announced at TGS like some people are hoping, we know this is the tactic he chose ;)
Capucine

Postby edgecrusher01 » Tue Aug 03, 2004 4:36 pm

Remember the money is coming from investors...not all from Sega or they wouldn't have the money for it...Investors were obviously more interested in this because they believe it would make more money than Shenmue III...and if it does then except SIII to follow.
edgecrusher01
Funny Bear Burger Clerk
Funny Bear Burger Clerk

Postby paddy_ryan » Tue Aug 03, 2004 5:34 pm

Take a bet what presents all my freinds are gonna' get ;)
paddy_ryan
Man Mo Acolyte
Man Mo Acolyte

Postby Hikusaak » Tue Aug 03, 2004 5:39 pm

I love the individual series with all my heart, if this online version flops, there will probably never be a Shenmue 3.
Hikusaak
Alpha Trading Boss
Alpha Trading Boss

Return to Shenmue III