Shenmue Online will = Shenmue 3

(Chapter 7 and beyond)

Shenmue Online will = Shenmue 3

Postby JeetKuneDo » Mon Nov 29, 2004 5:10 pm

Prediction 1 - I think that Sega is testing out shenmue online, to see if how poplular it is, and to see if there is sstill fans to the series. I think that if Shenmue Online does well, then they will definatly make shenmue 3, because they have to finish the story.

Prediction 2: I also think that if Shenmue Onlineis the last shenmue being made, then I think the point of shenmue online, is to be a character in the shenmue universe, but when you play as the charcter, the story of shenmue 3 happens around you in the game.

What do you guys think?
JeetKuneDo
Funny Bear Burger Clerk
Funny Bear Burger Clerk

Postby Ali » Mon Nov 29, 2004 6:10 pm

I am with Prediction 1.
Ali
Alpha Trading Boss
Alpha Trading Boss

Postby VGAce » Mon Nov 29, 2004 11:34 pm

I think you're wrong on both points, and I'll tell you why.

JeetKuneDo wrote:Prediction 1 - I think that Sega is testing out shenmue online, to see if how poplular it is, and to see if there is sstill fans to the series. I think that if Shenmue Online does well, then they will definatly make shenmue 3, because they have to finish the story.

If they're testing to see how popular it is, why are they restricting it to only a certain market? No release outside of Asia certainly doesn't seem like a viable approach to measuring feedback.

JeetKuneDo wrote:Prediction 2: I also think that if Shenmue Onlineis the last shenmue being made, then I think the point of shenmue online, is to be a character in the shenmue universe, but when you play as the charcter, the story of shenmue 3 happens around you in the game.

Why, after playing as Ryo through two epic games, would they change your character to some nobody that has nothing to do with the story? A story really isn't very interesting if you can't identify with it, and playing as anyone other than Ryo would totally miss the whole point of Shenmue's plot.

But don't let my opinions detour you from speculating and making predictions. That's just what I think.
VGAce
Machine Gun Fist
Machine Gun Fist

Postby Miles Prower » Tue Nov 30, 2004 4:38 am

http://dynamic4.gamespy.com/~shenmuedoj ... hp?t=19821

I think you should read that topic for reasons why SO isn't SIII.
Last edited by Miles Prower on Tue Nov 30, 2004 9:32 am, edited 1 time in total.
Miles Prower
"Keep Friends"
"Keep Friends"

XBL: sppeac1987
Favorite title: Shenmue II

Postby BabyJesus » Tue Nov 30, 2004 9:26 am

Nice theories but the Vgace is pretty much correct on why ur theories may not be true.
BabyJesus
Fuku-san
Fuku-san

Postby Kenny » Tue Nov 30, 2004 12:16 pm

Didn't SEGA say they MIGHT consider a multi-national release?
Kenny
is Gwenpool™
Shenmue III

PSN: JamesTeeZappa
XBL: KennyNOL
Nintendo FC: FUCK THE WII-U
Steam: kenny_nol
Favorite title: What's Shenmue
Currently playing: Contest of Champions iOS

Postby Dim-Mak » Tue Nov 30, 2004 4:52 pm

If that was true, then why the hell isn't it going to get a US release? It's more popular here than in Korea.
Dim-Mak
Master of the Three Blades
Master of the Three Blades

Re: Shenmue Online will = Shenmue 3

Postby ys » Tue Nov 30, 2004 6:16 pm

JeetKuneDo wrote:Prediction 1 - I think that Sega is testing out shenmue online, to see if how poplular it is, and to see if there is sstill fans to the series. I think that if Shenmue Online does well, then they will definatly make shenmue 3, because they have to finish the story.

Let's just hope that it does incredibly well so we can get the series as intended. In other words, with more than three games. I remember reading once that they were already considering beginning with the third game right after the release of Shenmue II. How things went wrong...
ys
"Keep Friends"
"Keep Friends"

Favorite title: What's Shenmue

Postby Who Really Cares? » Sat Dec 04, 2004 11:47 am

i think the whole shenmue online is a bad idea...been waiting so long for shenmue 3 its just not fair. Theres talk that shenmue online could come out around the world, yet if that happens and it sells poorly then surly the chances of seeing shenmue 3 is damaged?...but as long as MS keep the rights to the shenmue series ill be happy. ;)
Who Really Cares?
Shenmue III
Shenmue III

XBL: Baihu1983
Favorite title: Shenmue II
Currently playing: TitanFall

Postby Gutcruncher » Sun Dec 05, 2004 4:00 am

Dim-Mak wrote:It's more popular here than in Korea.

but korean simply LOVE their mmorpgs (and starcraft, but that goes without saying (ZERG RUSH!!!! KKEKEKEKEKEKEKEKEKEKE ^_^))
Gutcruncher
Alpha Trading Boss
Alpha Trading Boss

Postby extraordinarybadgrocer » Sun Dec 05, 2004 7:21 am

It isn't Shenmue 3- fact. If it were Shenmue III it would be titled that way. Shenmue III would be a direct continuation of Shenmue II. This is a spin-off of the Shenmue series. Now whether a proper sequel to Shenmue II will see light of day, I just don't know. I would like to play Shenmue Online though, let's hope it's at least reasonably succesful and sees a US/European release.

Prediction 2 is an interesting concept. But it would be very difficult to make it work. Seeing as it's online, people are playing all the time. People will be playing this for years. Are they going to program storylines? Days will pass by. The environments in Shenmue had a daily routine, but the environments themselves changed little, besides from magic weather. Unless you see/fight/speak to Ryo or one of the main characters (Dou-Nui/Ren/Xuiying/Lan-Di) in Shenmue online, (which you might at some stage in the game) you won't have any involvment with the original series.

But I'm confident that I'd enjoy the game if I were to play it. I think it would still better 99% of the games out there.
extraordinarybadgrocer
"Keep Friends"
"Keep Friends"

Postby buckley_1 » Sun Dec 05, 2004 8:02 am

This may sound stupid, I really dont know, but wouldnt a shenmue 3 that doesnt end up selling that wel, still be better than a shenmue online that doesnt seel well. Becasue if you think about it, isnt it alittle silly to make shenmue online just to see if there is still a fan base? If S3 was not to sell well, then atleast the story is complete, but if shenmue online doesnt sell well, then what?? Unless ofcourse shenmue 3 were to cost alot mor money to make, then that would be a different story. Thats just my 2 cents anyway.
buckley_1
Asia Travel Representative
Asia Travel Representative

Postby Gutcruncher » Sun Dec 05, 2004 1:21 pm

buckley_1 wrote:This may sound stupid, I really dont know, but wouldnt a shenmue 3 that doesnt end up selling that wel, still be better than a shenmue online that doesnt seel well. Becasue if you think about it, isnt it alittle silly to make shenmue online just to see if there is still a fan base? If S3 was not to sell well, then atleast the story is complete, but if shenmue online doesnt sell well, then what?? Unless ofcourse shenmue 3 were to cost alot mor money to make, then that would be a different story. Thats just my 2 cents anyway.

the problem is that shenmue is incredibly expensive to make. they cant make that kind of financial commitment just to see what would happen.
Gutcruncher
Alpha Trading Boss
Alpha Trading Boss

Return to Shenmue III