Oh screw Sega... they aren't what they used to be

(Chapter 7 and beyond)

Postby ToL » Fri Aug 03, 2007 3:34 am

VGAce wrote:For pure cinematic brilliance, my vote goes to Starbreeze.

For open-ended gameplay, my vote goes to Bioware or Bethesda Softworks.

For great storytelling, my vote goes to Konami.

Fuck it, let's just get all four of em.
ToL
"After Burner...Great!"
"After Burner...Great!"

Favorite title: Shenmue II

Postby ChaiOgawa » Fri Aug 03, 2007 6:15 am

All you have to do is convince Microsoft game studios to pry Yu Suzuki away from SEGA and hire him and his selected staff to make it. Yu would probably join anywhere given the chance to work on his baby again. And as for SEGA never selling it? Yeah right, SEGA isn't exactly bringing in the big bucks these days, if they could get some money out of a franchise that they have no interest in persuing, they'd do it in a second. Free money.
ChaiOgawa
Alpha Trading Boss
Alpha Trading Boss

Postby Martin » Fri Aug 03, 2007 7:33 am

Rockstar.
Martin
Machine Gun Fist
Machine Gun Fist

Favorite title: Shenmue
Currently playing: After Burner... Great!

Postby alimn » Fri Aug 03, 2007 8:08 am

ys wrote:I personally think Konami could be well suited. They have a few more cinematic series like Metal Gear Solid and Silent Hill. So I think they could handle this well with Yu as a director and producer. Besides that, I've read that there are some people who worked on Shenmue in Kojima's team now.

Tecmo also have Project Zero on the other hand. While Capcom have Resident Evil.
I think many studio's could do well as long as Yu is directly involved. Even Nintendo maybe if he teamed up with Miyamoto ;)

If SEGA can't make Shenmue 3 alone, here are my choices:

1-Seeds(The new Capcom), yes I mean developers of Okami!
they love to create this detailed massive long masterpieces.

2-Konami, I know they are always thirsty for good stories.(Example:remember how they bough Silent Hill's script)

3-A western Japanese-like publisher like Bio Ware,
Jade Empire was a good game.
and now they're even developing Sonic RPG for DS.

4-Tri-Ace/ Namco

4-Microsoft & Microsoft Games Studio should be able to force SEGA.

5-Nintendo & Miyamoto should be able to force SEGA.

Regards-Alimn
alimn
News Poster
News Poster

Postby GameFreac » Fri Aug 03, 2007 4:52 pm

Coolio GNR wrote:
NeoShredder wrote:EA!

HELL NO

Exactly. I think Konami would do a good job
GameFreac
Funny Bear Burger Clerk
Funny Bear Burger Clerk

Postby geno » Fri Aug 03, 2007 6:29 pm

I'd also vouch for Konami, but in all honesty I don't think Shenmue would be Shenmue if it weren't made by Sega. The game itself, even if distantly, relates with the Virtua Fighter franchise. And don't forget all the capsule toys, posters and minigames which all contribute to the game's identity. Heck, Ryo has a Saturn in the living room. I can't imagine what they'd replace that with for a company like Konami.
geno
Funny Bear Burger Clerk
Funny Bear Burger Clerk

Postby OL » Fri Aug 03, 2007 6:47 pm

^^Yeah, if it's not Sega, what's the point? It's like getting someone other than DC or Warner Bros. to make Batman. It would feel more like a "bootleg" version than the real deal.
OL
Yo jes hummilated yoursef
Shenmue III

Postby Martin » Fri Aug 03, 2007 7:11 pm

I'd go along with that. I'd rather remember Shenmue as a masterpiece, than have some trashy installment made by some other company come along and ruin it's legacy.
Martin
Machine Gun Fist
Machine Gun Fist

Currently playing: After Burner... Great!

Postby VGAce » Fri Aug 03, 2007 9:40 pm

geno wrote:I'd also vouch for Konami, but in all honesty I don't think Shenmue would be Shenmue if it weren't made by Sega. The game itself, even if distantly, relates with the Virtua Fighter franchise. And don't forget all the capsule toys, posters and minigames which all contribute to the game's identity. Heck, Ryo has a Saturn in the living room. I can't imagine what they'd replace that with for a company like Konami.

I've thought of that too. One of the big questions in my head was "So if this happens, what will my capsule toys look like now?" But when it comes down to it, I'd be willing to sacrifice all the Sega characters and franchise advertising if it meant we got a solid version of Shenmue III. It might be important to some, but the Sega brand identity was only a small part of the game to me. Looking at the Sega of today, it would almost seem like an insult. Capsule toys can be any number of things still related to Shenmue, such as actual Shenmue characters or objects within the game (such as the pre-existing Smart Set or Harbor Set figurines). I can do without pictures of Virtua Fighter characters plastered on every wall, and I can do without Sega arcade games - hell, imagine the arcade games we'd get if Konami took the reigns, as well as the many capsule toys that could come as a result of their extensive game catalogue!

This is all a purely hypothetical discussion, of course, but if it ever became a reality we would undoubtedly have to make these sacrifices. I'd rather make those sacrifices and get Shenmue III then possibly have to wait a decade or more for a "Sega-affiliated" version of Shenmue III (if it were ever to be released).
VGAce
Machine Gun Fist
Machine Gun Fist

Postby Kyoji » Fri Aug 03, 2007 9:48 pm

Sega? I know no Sega. All I see is Sammy. They eat their fan's souls and spit out shit no one wants. Yay them.

Edit: Excuse me, EX-fans.
Kyoji
Asia Travel Representative
Asia Travel Representative

Postby JoeMDesign » Sat Aug 04, 2007 9:16 pm

AM2 and Sumo Digital = Real Sega
JoeMDesign
"After Burner...Great!"
"After Burner...Great!"

Postby Gangsta Ren » Sun Aug 05, 2007 10:35 am

Now way SEGA is better than they have been in Years. They are releasing VF5 ON Xbox 360 with ONLINE VERSUS mode. They comepletely revamped it and touched up the already outstanding graphics and improvedthe AI, best of all they made it so you can take your profile on a memeory card to your friends house. ALl this shows SEGA IS on the ball with what people want,because people have been screaming for these features. With all the money they'll make off this VF5 version,they may make enough money to finally finish SHENMUE.

Dont worry,if Nights andGolden AXe got a sequel, SHENMUE is only a matter of time. (I KNOW IVE BEEN WAITING since 20001 with the rest of you guys,but itll come).
We'll be better off for the wait,because the Technology is better now.
All signs point Shenmue 3 will come to 360. The Dust has settled after the initial next gen console battle and everybody is banking on Xbox now. Good thing I bought both. If Shenmue 3 comes out on 360 Ill trade my original in for an elite.
Gangsta Ren
Master of the Three Blades
Master of the Three Blades

Postby OL » Sun Aug 05, 2007 1:38 pm

Gangsta Ren wrote:Now way SEGA is better than they have been in Years. They are releasing VF5 ON Xbox 360 with ONLINE VERSUS mode. They comepletely revamped it and touched up the already outstanding graphics and improvedthe AI, best of all they made it so you can take your profile on a memeory card to your friends house. ALl this shows SEGA IS on the ball with what people want,because people have been screaming for these features. With all the money they'll make off this VF5 version,they may make enough money to finally finish SHENMUE.

That was retarded. You think Sega is better than they've been in years because they're releasing one game that you like, with improved features? Time was, they release lots of games all the fucking time that were great, and online bullshit wasn't necessary to make them worthwhile.
And come one, people are still using that "If they make money off of this, they'll have enough money to make Shenmue 3" line? I thought we already established that big business doesn't work that way. And besides, a lack of funds isn't what's been keeping them from making S3.

Gangsta Ren wrote: Dont worry,if Nights andGolden AXe got a sequel, SHENMUE is only a matter of time.

That, however, is actually a really good point. People have been waiting for a sequel to Nights even longer than they've been waitng for S3, and pretty much as soon as everyone had resigned to the idea that a sequel will never come, they announce a new Nights. And let's face it, Nights has been a dead franchise for a long time now. Most people never even played it on the Saturn. It's only got a very small cult following.
If Sega decided to make a new game of something like that, it doesn't seem so stupid to think that somewhere down the line, maybe a few years from now, they might go back to Shenmue.
OL
Yo jes hummilated yoursef
Shenmue III

Postby Henry Spencer » Sun Aug 05, 2007 4:30 pm

My God SEGA are a quirky group. They bring back one of their smallest cult games, and ignore their biggest budget project. Hmmm...I always thought SEGA were about business, and NiGHTS doesn't seem like a the most profitable franchise to bring back, but well, I don't know, it's all very confusing for me. :?
Henry Spencer
Let's go Catherine!
Shenmue III

PSN: harryangel666
XBL: Magiking
Currently playing: Yakuza Kiwami/Zelda: BOTW

Postby ys » Sun Aug 05, 2007 9:58 pm

They've probably done some market research again and all signs pointed to a new NiGHTS game doing well. Who knows, they might be lucky this time. Well, lucky guess in that case ;) I suppose the "cheaper to develop" aspect sounded good to them. Plus that they finally can develop for the Wii-remote, something that they had in mind themselves back then.
ys
"Keep Friends"
"Keep Friends"

Favorite title: What's Shenmue

PreviousNext

Return to Shenmue III