RYO RETURNS! Sonic & Sega racing!

(Chapter 7 and beyond)

Postby Rom » Fri Oct 09, 2009 6:31 am

NiGHTS 3:16 wrote:No. That's not right at all. They made a game for Sega Superstars and people wanted Ryo so we got Ryo. This will have no effect on Shenmue III at all.

Sega Superstars Tennis was released last year. Have they suddenly revived Samba Di Amigo, Jet Set Radio and Super Monkeyball? Are they also going to make another Alex Kidd game just because he's in this is as well?

Jesus, how can anyone take anything from this at all?

Well, they recently released a Samba de Amigo game on the Wii and they're currently developing Super Monkeyball Step & Roll, also for the Wii.

But I get what you meant. Alex Kidd and Jet Set Radio are proof that Ryo's presence in the game doesn't mean anything. But at the same time, it doesn't hurt the Shenmue franchise at all.
Rom
Master of the Three Blades

Favorite title: Shenmue

Postby ys » Fri Oct 09, 2009 6:36 am

That's true. Besides the people that rejoice because he's in the game I have actually seen reactions like "sorry if I'm being ignorant but who is he?" So it might introduce some more potentially interested people to the series in any case.
ys
"Keep Friends"
"Keep Friends"

Favorite title: What's Shenmue

Postby BackinBlack » Fri Oct 09, 2009 9:09 am

That is so getting bought :)
BackinBlack
Funny Bear Burger Clerk
Funny Bear Burger Clerk

Postby extraordinarybadgrocer » Fri Oct 09, 2009 9:18 am

Just found out about this. :lol:

The game doesn't look horrible, might be kinda fun. It's just that looping tracks, ramp jumps and towers made of playing cards aren't the first things that come to mind when I think of Shenmue.

Watch the trailer again. Doesn't Ryo look a little embarassed to be there? Well, I'll probably end up getting this anyway.
extraordinarybadgrocer
"Keep Friends"
"Keep Friends"

Postby redline » Fri Oct 09, 2009 10:18 am

I could be wrong but I don't think buying this game will lead to shenmue3, it will just make sega think we want more all star poo (and there probably stick ryo in it to boost sales)
redline
"After Burner...Great!"
"After Burner...Great!"

Postby Bluecast » Fri Oct 09, 2009 12:23 pm

This IS Shenmue III,Ryo is still in the cave and is so bored he is playing with his capsule toys imagining he is racing with them.
Bluecast
Jean Valjean
Banned

PSN: Ryudoadam
XBL: Dogi99
Nintendo FC: Segata
Steam: Ryudo2k9
Currently playing: Some weeb game as always.

Postby geno » Fri Oct 09, 2009 7:25 pm

Ryudo™ wrote:This IS Shenmue III,Ryo is still in the cave and is so bored he is playing with his capsule toys imagining he is racing with them.

I wasn't even going to comment in here before, but that post is epic win.

If this game turns out to be shit, it would be quite ironic that the only people playing/buying it would be Shenmue fans. Regardless, like many others, I have absolutely no faith in Shenmue III ever being made because of this game.

Of crouse, if Sega could trace the popularity of the characters through their online use... nah.
geno
Funny Bear Burger Clerk
Funny Bear Burger Clerk

Postby szymon247 » Fri Oct 09, 2009 9:21 pm

Sorry but they used Ryo to sell this game better, not the other way around - he's not there because of sentiment. They know that there'll be a huge fanbase buying this game - however if it works they might reconsider Shenmue.
Also, Shenmue was really one of the most important Sega games. I would be surprised if Ryo weren't in the "Sega all stars". That just had to happen. Obviously Shenmue was totally underrated and underestimated by Sega over the last few years. It was like they decided to forget about it but then again - it was a failed project money-wise. And it's not the game that failed, it's their management for releasing it in a wrong time, with not enough advertisement and totally wrong market (I mostly mean xbox right now) but everybody knows that already.
I really hope that this will help us getting the vision of Shenmue 3 more realistic.
szymon247

Postby LawXiu » Fri Oct 09, 2009 9:55 pm

szymon247 wrote:Sorry but they used Ryo to sell this game better, not the other way around - he's not there because of sentiment.

You could be right and I think if we are all honest it's probably in the back of everyones minds. But everyone still has hope, me included.
LawXiu
"After Burner...Great!"
"After Burner...Great!"

Favorite title: Shenmue II

Postby Bluecast » Fri Oct 09, 2009 11:27 pm

Most of us vets gave up long ago but for the first time in years some hope is restored.

Look at a recent Konami example. couple years ago Rocket Knight was in a DS track and field game and now a brand new 2.5D game is coming out.

Shenmue would not cost the megatons it once did to develop the now standard tech to make it. True,Rocket Knight is just a old platformer still to even make a new game after more than what 15 years when they never had to shows that the possibility is there.
After all if it was just for a extra boost of sales they could have easily chosen a much more well known and popular character like Akira or Kazuma to get even better sales.
Bluecast
Jean Valjean
Banned

Postby Segata Sanshiro » Sat Oct 10, 2009 6:40 am

I don't know if this deserves a separate topic so I'll post it here first. Sorry if it's been discussed before.

Sumo were nice enough to explain the whole story behind Toejam & Earl not being on SEGA All-Stars Racing, so maybe we could contact them about how Ryo ended up in the game: who thought it'd be a good idea to have him on board, who took the decision, whether it was hard or not to get green light from SEGA...

Btw, I'm surprised to see there's not much going on at the official forum for this game, at sega.com. In fact the "Toejam and Earl" thread has a lot more responses than "Ryo confirmed". Maybe I'm just looking at the wrong place, I don't normally read those forums.
Segata Sanshiro
Funny Bear Burger Clerk
Funny Bear Burger Clerk

Postby Bluecast » Sat Oct 10, 2009 11:14 am

Segata Sanshiro wrote:I don't know if this deserves a separate topic so I'll post it here first. Sorry if it's been discussed before.

Sumo were nice enough to explain the whole story behind Toejam & Earl not being on SEGA All-Stars Racing, so maybe we could contact them about how Ryo ended up in the game: who thought it'd be a good idea to have him on board, who took the decision, whether it was hard or not to get green light from SEGA...

Btw, I'm surprised to see there's not much going on at the official forum for this game, at sega.com. In fact the "Toejam and Earl" thread has a lot more responses than "Ryo confirmed". Maybe I'm just looking at the wrong place, I don't normally read those forums.

Probably because we're not all total Sega fanboys.
I loved Sega back in the day but never gave two craps about toejam and earl.
Still wanting to know if Ryo will be in all versions,I know some assume this but so far just seen the HD screens.
Bluecast
Jean Valjean
Banned

Postby ShinChuck » Sat Oct 10, 2009 11:17 am

The best thing about the whole Shenmue III debate is that the believers can never be proved wrong, and the detractors can never be right.

There are only two outcomes: "Shenmue III hasn't come out as of this point," in which case the believers haven't been proved wrong, or, "Shenmue III is finally out!" in which case the detractors are wrong. ;)
ShinChuck
Man Mo Acolyte
Man Mo Acolyte

PSN: ShinChuck1
XBL: ShinChuck
Nintendo FC: ShinChuck
Steam: ShinChuck
Currently playing: Resident Evil 6

Postby Rom » Sat Oct 10, 2009 11:39 am

Ryudo™ wrote:
Probably because we're not all total Sega fanboys.
I loved Sega back in the day but never gave two craps about toejam and earl.
Still wanting to know if Ryo will be in all versions,I know some assume this but so far just seen the HD screens.

That's not unusual. They have a tendency to pimp the HD version of a game first. Publishers love showing a HD trailer with a little "Nintendo DS" at the end.
Rom

Postby Kenny » Sat Oct 10, 2009 4:23 pm

Thy_DarkAngel wrote:
NiGHTS 3:16 wrote:No. That's not right at all. They made a game for Sega Superstars and people wanted Ryo so we got Ryo. This will have no effect on Shenmue III at all.

Sega Superstars Tennis was released last year. Have they suddenly revived Samba Di Amigo, Jet Set Radio and Super Monkeyball? Are they also going to make another Alex Kidd game just because he's in this is as well?

Jesus, how can anyone take anything from this at all?

Shenmue is a different case, you should know that.
It means, if anything else, a step more in Shenmues revival.

Production values bigger and cheaper. The Shenmue fans demand. Yakuza. Dreamcast games hitting the PSN. Ryo Hazuki on Sega All Stars Racing after years of absolute silence. The fact that, to a point, Shenmue III is said to be (half) done.

It adds up.
Keep the demand, support it.

I know how we will not have it. With that attitude.

No blind optimism. But surely no negativity.
You take what you get and you work with it.

You totally did not read what he wrote.
Kenny
is Gwenpool™
Shenmue III

PSN: JamesTeeZappa
XBL: KennyNOL
Nintendo FC: FUCK THE WII-U
Steam: kenny_nol
Currently playing: Contest of Champions iOS

PreviousNext

Return to Shenmue III