RYO RETURNS! Sonic & Sega racing!

(Chapter 7 and beyond)

Postby Without Remorse » Mon Oct 12, 2009 11:10 pm

I just went and reserved my copy today at gamestop, and they informed me that the game would only be 50 dollars and not the standard 60. Pretty nice, I will save a little money buying multiple copies for gifts.
Without Remorse
Man Mo Acolyte
Man Mo Acolyte

XBL: W1TH0UT REMORSE
Favorite title: What's Shenmue
Currently playing: Super Meat Boy

Postby Andy Hughes » Tue Oct 13, 2009 4:35 am

RoboBonanza wrote:
Lan Di-sama wrote:
On a side note, and out of curiosity, someone should try to contact Corey Marshall and see if Sega's contacted him to do some voice acting. I read someone's post that they are friends with him on facebook...they should leave him a wall post and see what he says ;)

I'm guessing that if Ryo has a voice, it will just be recycled clips.

Haha, yeah that would be hilarious for Shenmue fans. Imagine if he wins the race "Great! I WON!" lol, "I see...."
Andy Hughes
Alpha Trading Boss
Alpha Trading Boss

Currently playing: My Guitar ;)

Postby Tad89 » Tue Oct 13, 2009 8:22 am

ys wrote:I'm not really sure if it's ready. Like in 100% ready. According to the Kikizo article a lot was done though and the advantage was that the original textures etc. were high-res which made it easier to continue on the current consoles in a way without the need to convert again.
Now we don't know if that article is (totally) correct. It did seem though that there has been some work done on Shenmue III. LanDC and some others found extra content on discs that was cut from Shenmue II and could maybe be used in future games. I even remember reading a statement from Sega Japan shortly after the release of Shenmue II where they mentioned that people wouldn't have to wait as long for Shenmue III as they did between I and II ! Oh the irony...
It does show though that they at least had lots of stuff ready probably.

Just a thought but,

Lets say Shenmue III is about 50-60% ready and that this is true:http://www.seganerds.com/2009/09/22/sega-leaks-top-secret-sony-information/

Maybe there's a chance of Shenmue being finished on the Dreamcast Emulator instead?

They wouldn't need to port it over, just finish it off, add voicing etc

If this Dreamcast Emulator does happen and Shenmue 1 appears on the PSN network I'd start to wonder if it's what they are planning.
Tad89
Asia Travel Representative

Postby Jokatech19 » Tue Oct 13, 2009 12:07 pm

You know, when I saw this, I chuckled and said, " Sega has to see how stupid their main characters look next to Ryo. This should be an eye-opener that they only have 1 serious mascot who they treat like a black sheep." But knowing their stupidity, I should expect this. I remember hearing that there was going to be a shenmue remake on the Psp. I dunno what happened.

I've been telling people that standard tech today would be more than enough and cheap. Before a movie comes out, the company always throws some change at a developer to get a super crisp game that suck ass. This, you should know, has become the standard over the last decade. So I don't want to hear that bullshit from stupid Suzuki and Sega about how expensive it will be.
Jokatech19
"After Burner...Great!"
"After Burner...Great!"

Currently playing: AC: Revelations

Postby Master Kyodai » Tue Oct 13, 2009 12:17 pm

I have serious doubts about a Shenmue 3 any soon. Shenmue 1 sold quite well (Although not taking back in the enormous budget) and SHenmue 2 sales were a disaster on DC. They have had their experiment with Shenmue 2 on Xbox and it sold even worse than on Dreamcast.

I also have serious doubts about the "50-60% finished" rumours, maybe that is when you account "Engine already finished" (Shenmue 1 engine), "some character models finished" (Ryo, Shenhua, lan Di and generic characters) into it, but this is a bad calculation - if you count like that then Shenmue 2 was already finished "60%" before they got started, too (And the development cost were still very high).

I think from a realistic point of view it would be rather realistic to assume Shenmue 3 was maybe 5-10% finished. And even if it really was like 50-60% finished it would still be loads of development costs if you orientate at Shenmue 1 and 2. Plus the cost to pull it on some nexgen consoles, new marketing etc.

If i see any Shenmue title realistically been released (And I'm not taking Sega All Stars Racing 1,2 or 3 into account), it would be Shenmue 1 on the PSN store if they really decide to release DC games on PSN.

I also have doubts that SEGA will draw the right conclusion, even if Sonic and Sega all stars racing becomes a hit. Maybe it would just encourage them to make more racing games in Mario-kart style? Don't get me wrong, i really appreciate SEGA putting Ryo in here, that itself somehow makes it a Shenmue collectable (Maybe even more than phone straps and phone cards). Just wanna say i dont necessarily see Shenmue 3 as a logical predecessor even if this sells well. And even if every single member of this board would buy the game and tell SEGA how much love Ryo - that would be just 5000 sales more which is extremely close to nothing for global game development companies. Let's just hope Ryo has much more fans than gathered around here.
Master Kyodai
"After Burner...Great!"
"After Burner...Great!"

Postby Tad89 » Tue Oct 13, 2009 12:36 pm

But wasn't Shenmue 2 just Shenmue 1 cut into two? if so then wouldn't they have started Shenmue 3 afterwards?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=h2eJT9GfVZk

This is a character taken from Shenmue 3 and some one found some images of some parts of shenmue 2 that we're never seen in the game.

Taking a part of a game out is one thing but the images seem to show a completely new location. So I think it's fair to assume that was where they split the shenmue game to make shenmue 3.

50-60% maybe a bit high but I highly doubt they only made 10% if they started making Shenmue 3 after 2 it's most likely to be higher then that,

If they do make the Dreamcast emulator Shenmue bound to be on the list some where.
Tad89

Postby ShinChuck » Tue Oct 13, 2009 7:01 pm

Tad89 wrote:Maybe there's a chance of Shenmue being finished on the Dreamcast Emulator instead?

They wouldn't need to port it over, just finish it off, add voicing etc

If this Dreamcast Emulator does happen and Shenmue 1 appears on the PSN network I'd start to wonder if it's what they are planning.

I think that's a train of thought worth following. I'm fairly certain that Shenmue releases on PSN/XBLA would sell pretty well as far as download games go. Theoretically the development costs wouldn't be nearly as high as they were ten years ago, and at the same time by releasing it as a downloadable Dreamcast game, Shenmue III wouldn't be faulted for not utilizing modern technology. And especially if they've got a chunk of it done already...

I know it's not quite the same thing, but we did get a real MegaMan sequel using the same old NES resources, and a Final Fantasy IV sequel by borrowing heavily from it's 16-bit predecessor.
ShinChuck
Man Mo Acolyte
Man Mo Acolyte

PSN: ShinChuck1
XBL: ShinChuck
Nintendo FC: ShinChuck
Steam: ShinChuck
Favorite title: Shenmue
Currently playing: Resident Evil 6

Postby Dragon Light » Wed Oct 14, 2009 7:13 am

Shenmue 3 would either be on multiplatforms if the graphics arent that good (cos of the wii) or hopefully be on the 360 which is the main console shenmue would be on. simple as.Its just a matter of time. Shenmue will come out but I hope its not long to wait for it.
Dragon Light
Man Mo Acolyte
Man Mo Acolyte

Postby Tad89 » Wed Oct 14, 2009 7:24 am

More to back up my theory that Shenmue III could have been made right after Shenmue II

http://www.tssznews.com/2009/07/17/evidence-of-shenmue-iii-discovered-possibly-up-for-sale/

I doubt that disk is real but it does say this though:

There are several reasons to treat the story as rumor, chief among them Sega’s decision to stop Dreamcast support in North America in 2001, and in Europe in 2002. But even though Shenmue II wasn’t even released in North America until 2002 as an XBox Exclusive, it was released on the Japanese DC in September of 2001. It is possible that development on Shenmue III may have immediately commenced after the release of the second game, possibly as a DC exclusive for Japan, where Sega kept supporting the system until 2006.
Tad89

Postby Dragon Light » Wed Oct 14, 2009 7:28 am

fake, or maybe not...
Dragon Light
Man Mo Acolyte
Man Mo Acolyte

Postby LawXiu » Wed Oct 14, 2009 8:15 am

This is fake and it's been talked about before.
LawXiu
"After Burner...Great!"
"After Burner...Great!"

Favorite title: Shenmue II

Postby Tad89 » Wed Oct 14, 2009 8:50 am

Thought so,

But it did point out what i said about Shenmue 3 might of been started.
Tad89

Postby ShenmueAddict » Wed Oct 14, 2009 9:44 pm

Finally Sega puts Ryo back in a game, about bloody time

i'll deffo be buying the game!
ShenmueAddict
"After Burner...Great!"
"After Burner...Great!"

XBL: Patrickingham2
Currently playing: Fallout: New Vegas

Postby Cyberman » Fri Oct 16, 2009 7:35 pm

Yes!!! And it's about time too!!! I am so gonna buy this game!
Cyberman
Sailor
"Keep Friends"

Postby teddy_flowers » Sun Oct 18, 2009 3:04 am

i even forgot my password of my old accounts.

this is something.

gotta register again, just to say i am happy with the news.
teddy_flowers
Fuku-san
Fuku-san

PreviousNext

Return to Shenmue III