Does the average Joe know what Shenmue is?

(Chapter 7 and beyond)

Re: Does the average Joe know what Shenmue is?

Postby Henry Spencer » Thu May 19, 2011 7:10 pm

Kenny wrote:Shenmue has a guy who doesn't want to get laid, a tranny, a fat bastard, a desperate japanese girl who is going to canada, and the quintessential '70s asian kung fu sterotypes.

Don't forget the skinhead, insane asylum escapee, who hasn't washed himself in three years and seven months, who loves jumping around on rooftops, rapist turned mirror molester, who wants to hump one of the leaders of the biggest secret organisation based in China. Fits in well with the cast of misfits.

I want a Chai spin-off game.
Henry Spencer
Let's go Catherine!
Shenmue III

PSN: harryangel666
XBL: Magiking
Favorite title: Shenmue
Currently playing: Yakuza Kiwami/Zelda: BOTW

Postby *Kenshin Himura* » Thu May 19, 2011 7:25 pm

Kenny wrote:Shenmue has a guy who doesn't want to get laid, a tranny, a fat bastard, a desperate japanese girl who is going to canada, and the quintessential '70s asian kung fu sterotypes.

:lol: too funny
*Kenshin Himura*
飛天御剣
"After Burner...Great!"

Favorite title: Shenmue IIx
Currently playing: Kingdom Hearts HD 2.8

Postby Bluecast » Thu May 19, 2011 7:28 pm

Don't forget the lips were out of sync
Bluecast
Jean Valjean
Banned

PSN: Ryudoadam
XBL: Dogi99
Nintendo FC: Segata
Steam: Ryudo2k9
Currently playing: Some weeb game as always.

Postby Thief » Thu May 19, 2011 9:53 pm

I bet if Shenmue 3 was named something like "Shenmue: insert lame title here" it would fool enough people into thinking it's the fist game. Most people don't do their research. Also while it's important to you and I to play through Shenmue 1 + 2 first I don't think it really matters much to most people. From what I've gathered, from many forums, is that most gamers don't care so much for the plot as long as the game part is good. The most common argument (which I don't agree with) is "if you want plot go watch a movie or read a book".
Thief
LAMEWAD
Machine Gun Fist

Postby sylentknyte » Wed May 25, 2011 1:24 pm

I was much more then a casual videogame fan from 02-08 and I had no idea about it. I only found out about it through research about the Dreamcast (I was trying to find the best games from one of my childhood systems). So my answer would be no. In fact I think as fas as Sega goes most casual games only know about the Genisis and Sonic.
sylentknyte
Alpha Trading Boss
Alpha Trading Boss

Postby Riku Rose » Wed May 25, 2011 2:03 pm

Shenmue is to slow and boring for many people. That alone will kill most word of mouth sales.
Riku Rose
Shenmue III
Shenmue III

Currently playing: Yakuza 6

Postby Peter » Wed May 25, 2011 2:04 pm

And for many people, its not.
Peter
Shenmue Dojo Owner
Shenmue III

PSN: TheGasmeter
Favorite title: Shenmue II
Currently playing: Shenmue 2x

Postby Coolz » Wed May 25, 2011 2:21 pm

Agree with the comments about Shenmue's fanbase - Once you are a fan I don't think you ever stop being one. The reason it will always be a cult game is because it takes a certain type of person to endure all the tedious stuff (like waiting for buses, lifting boxes etc) just to find out what happens next in the story. I can only speak for where I live, but a majority of console owners in the UK are not patient, intelligent or tasteful people and buy the consoles to play COD online or FIFA (not bashing either of those games as I like them both, but not exclusively). I mention Shenmue whenever I have a conversation about computer games with people...seldom have heard of it and even fewer like it as much as I do. It's not for everyone - Of course S3 will sell more if the first two have re-releases...if for no other reason than the science of numbers. The more people who play it like we did first time around, the more people will become hooked. For me, the first two games had a compelling, special magic - and I would expect nothing less from a potential 3rd.
Coolz
Asia Travel Representative
Asia Travel Representative

Postby Bluecast » Thu May 26, 2011 6:45 pm

My mom 70 years old and does not play games.
She used to watch me play Shenmue and she just LOVES the music.
She once sang I wish song.
Bluecast
Jean Valjean
Banned

PSN: Ryudoadam
XBL: Dogi99
Nintendo FC: Segata
Steam: Ryudo2k9
Currently playing: Some weeb game as always.

Postby Crimson Ryan » Fri May 27, 2011 7:44 am

My mum loves the notebook music..
Crimson Ryan
Mac Tonight
Shenmue III

Postby sylentknyte » Fri May 27, 2011 9:29 am

How many copies did Shenmue sell again, around 1.5 million? Chances are almost all of those 1.5 are still gamers and most of them have just left Shenmue behind. If Sega releases Shenmue 3 I would be willing to bet at least half the people that bought the first game would buy it.
sylentknyte
Alpha Trading Boss
Alpha Trading Boss

Postby *Kenshin Himura* » Fri May 27, 2011 11:30 am

Crimson Ryan wrote:My mum loves the notebook music..

Same with my mum :mrgreen:
*Kenshin Himura*
飛天御剣
"After Burner...Great!"

Favorite title: Shenmue IIx
Currently playing: Kingdom Hearts HD 2.8

Postby Kenny » Fri May 27, 2011 1:35 pm

Schmeman wrote:The most common argument (which I don't agree with) is "if you want plot go watch a movie or read a book".

Sounds like an arguement made by little kids. I can name MGS and that alone destroys that arguement.

With Shenmue, its heavy on exploration and light on action. So despite me not really liking the story, its integral that the plot at least be engaging.
Kenny
is Gwenpool™
Shenmue III

PSN: JamesTeeZappa
XBL: KennyNOL
Nintendo FC: FUCK THE WII-U
Steam: kenny_nol
Favorite title: What's Shenmue
Currently playing: Contest of Champions iOS

Postby Thief » Fri May 27, 2011 2:50 pm

Kenny wrote:
Schmeman wrote:The most common argument (which I don't agree with) is "if you want plot go watch a movie or read a book".

Sounds like an arguement made by little kids. I can name MGS and that alone destroys that arguement.

With Shenmue, its heavy on exploration and light on action. So despite me not really liking the story, its integral that the plot at least be engaging.

It's not so much about whether there is a plot, but whether or not the player wants it. Far too often I hear from gamers that they don't care for plot. For Shenmue however, you're right, the plot is an integral part of the game.
Thief
LAMEWAD
Machine Gun Fist

Postby Riku Rose » Fri May 27, 2011 8:08 pm

sylentknyte wrote:How many copies did Shenmue sell again, around 1.5 million? Chances are almost all of those 1.5 are still gamers and most of them have just left Shenmue behind. If Sega releases Shenmue 3 I would be willing to bet at least half the people that bought the first game would buy it.

I'd say quite a few people from then have stopped gaming or mainly stick to your CoD and Fifa/Madden games. Gaming sales have always been dominated by people who don't really play many games.
Riku Rose
Shenmue III
Shenmue III

Currently playing: Yakuza 6

PreviousNext

Return to Shenmue III