Would YOU donate to a Shenmue Project? (& how much)

(Chapter 7 and beyond)

Re: Would YOU donate to a Shenmue Project? (& how much)

Postby THHT » Sat Feb 18, 2012 7:51 pm

"Would YOU donate to a Shenmue Project? (& how much)"

$0.00

I'll gladly give my artwork and skills to the development and production of Shenmue 3 if I were to work on it in any form.

(Where can fan art be posted? I'm thinking of starting on my Shenmue porfolio work some time soon and would like to post a WIP thread).
THHT
Asia Travel Representative

Favorite title: Shenmue IIx

Postby Bluecast » Sat Feb 18, 2012 7:58 pm

THHT wrote:"Would YOU donate to a Shenmue Project? (& how much)"

$0.00

I'll gladly give my artwork and skills to the development and production of Shenmue 3 if I were to work on it in any form.

(Where can fan art be posted? I'm thinking of starting on my Shenmue porfolio work some time soon and would like to post a WIP thread).

Creative forum
Bluecast
Jean Valjean
Banned

PSN: Ryudoadam
XBL: Dogi99
Nintendo FC: Segata
Steam: Ryudo2k9
Favorite title: Shenmue
Currently playing: Some weeb game as always.

Postby THHT » Sat Feb 18, 2012 8:09 pm

Ace
THHT

Postby Master Kyodai » Sat Feb 18, 2012 11:03 pm

mue 26 wrote:Yeah, I can't really dispute anything in that post. But even if Yu Suzuki was on board (unlikely to ever happen) and even if we did get a tech demo (even more unlikely), do you really think the fans alone would stand a hope in hell of funding Shenmue 3?

Well lets just assume loads of money get donated and so programmers and artists are hired. AT that point a decision must be made at least about the engine i think, or else i can't imagine what the programmers begin with. For 3D artists it is also quite important what file formats and animation tools will be used (I guess not all suit every engine very well), so imho stuff like "which engine" would be necessary to answer first anyways. And i think if you only have 1 or two skilled guys playing around a bit with such an engine they might be able to make a demo scene quite fast. Just think of something like the hazuki residence or even just Ryos room. If it really looks as "HD" as we all hope it would, why should Yu Suzuki be "not interested"? Even if he is not i think the donators would be. If you could make some really nice little "engine demo" that brings true Shenmue fans to tears I am sure you could not only stir much attention (Maybe could even make it go "viral") but also even open pockets from people that would not normally think so much about donating.

Personally i don't think the fans can donate much. Statistically the average donation would be like 30 USD per donator. You always have some people donating like a few thousand bucks and many that give a dollar, but statistically its rather like 30 bucks each. So even with 1000 donators you'd just have like a 30 grand. I think you could say you can hire one good programmer like 6 month with that. or 2 good ones for 3 months. If you want 3D artists too then you imagine the time gets shorter. With extremely good project management and awesome people you could maybe pull off something, but for a "complete make Shenmue from scratch" thingy that would be a bit too small even if you'd recycle all sounds, voices and stuff.

I think it's important to have good project management and a complete plan before you start collecting donations. If you don't define a clear goal then you can't know yourself when you reach it, old project management blah blah. Look at our most favorite Kick starter project, they had a very good plan and they said exactly what it costs and what you get for your donation. That was no "Let's see how far we come and what comes out" project, they had a damn good plan. ANd yeah even though i prolly sound like Mr. Knows-it-all - i think that's why they were so successful. Of course in their case they also had the big advantage of having Tim Schafer and Ron Gilbert on board which for Lucasfilm games fans would be like Yu Suzuki and Chuck Norris together. Also they are a studio with experience and they offered the final game for a donation of just 15 bucks and even better perks. So to be honest - No I don't think this will raise 2 million. At least not without support from Yu Suzuki or SEGA and some good incentives and loads of advertisement. But who knows? If it looks nice maybe SEGA could be interested. I'd say in the end it depends how good it looks not how good it sounds...
Master Kyodai
"After Burner...Great!"
"After Burner...Great!"

Postby mue 26 » Sun Feb 19, 2012 12:09 am

^
There is no way I would give Sega money for free, though. Would you really be willing to give such a profitable corporation like Sega your money, just to help them out? I honestly don't think I would. Double Fine is a small indie studio who I would be glad to support but Sega can forget it. So I hope they don't even bother sounding interested.

So even with 1000 donators you'd just have like a 30 grand

Trust me if Yu Suzuki (or even Sega) were on board this would see a hell of a lot more than 1000 donators. I think an official donation fund for Shenmue 3 would easily sail past the two million dollar mark. There are a lot of people who love Shenmue out there and would be willing to donate (including the Japanese fans), I think if it was official, half the games industry would probably donate something (unless they had the same reasoning about Sega that I do).The Shenmue 3 game itself is one of the most wanted unmade games, but it still would be unlikely to raise enough to entirely fund itself.
mue 26
Machine Gun Fist
Machine Gun Fist

Postby THHT » Sun Feb 19, 2012 5:08 am

mue 26 wrote:^
There is no way I would give Sega money for free, though. Would you really be willing to give such a profitable corporation like Sega your money, just to help them out? I honestly don't think I would. Double Fine is a small indie studio who I would be glad to support but Sega can forget it. So I hope they don't even bother sounding interested.

So even with 1000 donators you'd just have like a 30 grand

Trust me if Yu Suzuki (or even Sega) were on board this would see a hell of a lot more than 1000 donators. I think an official donation fund for Shenmue 3 would easily sail past the two million dollar mark. There are a lot of people who love Shenmue out there and would be willing to donate (including the Japanese fans), I think if it was official, half the games industry would probably donate something (unless they had the same reasoning about Sega that I do).The Shenmue 3 game itself is one of the most wanted unmade games, but it still would be unlikely to raise enough to entirely fund itself.

You'd be right to say giving Sega free money would be silly (to put it lightly). Chances are they wouldn't even accept it due to ego, their own mountain of cash, and their unwillingness to stoke the expectations for something that is not entirely risk-free (S3). What happens if such a high-tier company (and they are somewhat high-tier despite those clunker games they come out with now) accepts cash from fans to make S3...it's barely enough to fund their beer bills...they come out with S3 some time later (using mostly their money) and the intro screen is a thank you to those fans that donated...then the game is shit either because of ridiculously high expectations of donators (their hard earned cash and 'compassion') and critics (who will always side with the fans) or the game is actually pure shit or just mediocre. No major company in their right mind would do that.

Your other paragraph I disagree with for its main points:

Suzuki/Sega would only get on board if they were 100% sure they were going to make S3 and knowing full well how they were going to fund it themselves and therefore, the donations would not be used at all and would be refunded back to the fans (I repeat, there is no way in hell Sega keeps donation money from devout fans let alone accepting 'donations' from other companies). There's nothing like a fan-fund to increase media attention so they let it keep going until it proves detrimental to them (bad publicity). This is the only way they attach themselves to this fund in some official way (and by official, I mean giving every donator a thank you t-shirt...and that's it).

-No way Suzuki or Sega accept money from fans (unless as some form of lighthearted trickery explained above). It's an ultimate slap in the face (you're not only questioning their ability to fund it themselves, you're also going to be 'slapped' by a game that may not meet your expectations) and entirely against Japanese culture (which someone else alluded to before...can't find the post...but is VERY important here).
-No way other companies give them money for free without strings attached.
-No way that this fund can even come close to funding any significant amount for S3's development (personal opinion based on the idea that S3 SHOULD be a blockbuster-type title with a multi-million dollar budget).
-No way Suzuki/Sega set themselves up like that if the game turns out like crap. Too much risk to their somewhat dwindling reputation).
-There's bad mojo all over this besides the idea of it being a good gesture. There are consequences to such things and no major company would be in the right mind to affiliate themselves or even motivate such a thing (let alone a Japanese company).
THHT

Postby mue 26 » Sun Feb 19, 2012 9:47 am

Yeah, look, all my last paragraph was alluding to was that if Yu Suzuki was to get on board (which I know is unlikely) and let's hypothetically say that Sega is not involved just Yu Suzuki and his own small team, then, a fund for Shenmue would raise a lot of money, in my opinion it would easily raise as much as Double Fine did. But this is only hypothetical!
mue 26
Machine Gun Fist
Machine Gun Fist

Postby wude » Sun Feb 19, 2012 10:06 am

purchasing the IP rights from SEGA, will get an important amount of the money, if SEGA agrees of course, and i'm not sure if the small team of YS can make THE Shenmue 3 that we want :-k
wude
٩(⁎❛ᴗ❛⁎)۶
Machine Gun Fist

Favorite title: Shenmue II
Currently playing: m.a.m.e

Postby mue 26 » Sun Feb 19, 2012 10:37 am

^
Well that's the issue isn't it. Does Yu really plan to purchase the full IP off of Sega? Maybe not?
mue 26
Machine Gun Fist
Machine Gun Fist

Postby sylentknyte » Sun Feb 19, 2012 11:28 am

I actually wouldnt donate a penney if it were going into Sega's pocket. I have no desire to give a multi-million dollar corporation my money. Only if it were going to Yu himself, and a small production team.
sylentknyte
Alpha Trading Boss
Alpha Trading Boss

Postby Master Kyodai » Sun Feb 19, 2012 12:15 pm

I think I'd rather donate to SEGA if they had incentives like the double fine adventure, i.e. donate 15 bucks and actually get the full game. Seems to be a bargain. Or donate to Yu Suzuki and his team. Simply because in SEGA and YU i'd have the faith that they could make a game out of the donations. Just donating to someone who is totally unknown in the gaming scene, has never made any game or project like this before seems a bit odd to me. Such a "newcomer team" would first need to gain my trust by showing some proof that they would be capable of making something nice. With zero prominent names and faces behind it i would at least expect some "Proof of concept". But yeah then again I'm probably the super sceptical pessimist guy who'd rather think twice before donating a single cent.
Master Kyodai
"After Burner...Great!"
"After Burner...Great!"

Postby mue 26 » Sun Feb 19, 2012 12:31 pm

I agree. I think for me, it would probably have to be Yu and his team directly I donate to as an independent studio, or in an attempt for him to buy the IP off Sega (if that was plausible, of course). Though, if Sega said, OK donate £20 and you get the full game once it's made , well I'd probably do that as that sounds like a bargain. Buts lets face it, they would never say that, if anything it would probably be "Donate £300 and get the full game once it's made" which isn't such a sweet deal lol, and which as El Clown stated would just leave a bad taste in your mouth.
mue 26
Machine Gun Fist
Machine Gun Fist

Postby THHT » Sun Feb 19, 2012 4:50 pm

mue 26 wrote:Yeah, look, all my last paragraph was alluding to was that if Yu Suzuki was to get on board (which I know is unlikely) and let's hypothetically say that Sega is not involved just Yu Suzuki and his own small team, then, a fund for Shenmue would raise a lot of money, in my opinion it would easily raise as much as Double Fine did. But this is only hypothetical!

All I'm saying is that Suzuki wouldn't accept/get on board hypothetically or otherwise and nor would it really raise any substantial amount of money even if he was on board, which 'hypothetically' or realistically he would never do for all the reasons I listed. It's not unlikely. It's impossible. But hey, actions speak louder than anything I could possibly say. Why don't you start the campaign?
THHT

Postby Peter » Sun Feb 19, 2012 5:01 pm

Could you stop speaking on behalf of Sega, Suzuki and well, anyone else for that matter. All i have read from your posts are financial certainites and point blank statements on what various people will or will not do. You dont know anything for certain just like the rest of us, nor does your opinion carry anymore weight so stop posting with that attitude.
Peter
Shenmue Dojo Owner
Shenmue III

PSN: TheGasmeter
Favorite title: Shenmue II
Currently playing: Shenmue 2x

Postby Bluecast » Sun Feb 19, 2012 8:57 pm

THHT
Stop now and stop double and triple posting. From now on they will either be pruned or merged.
You been boasting over other members and trying to speak above the staff and it ends here. You want to have discussions. Fine. Long winded posts also fine but enough with the word twisting and acting above others.
You have such a way with words like MK did bashing everyone last year. Last chance stop now.

DO NOT respond to this post and no one else come in and talk about THHT. BACK ON TOPIC
Bluecast
Jean Valjean
Banned

PSN: Ryudoadam
XBL: Dogi99
Nintendo FC: Segata
Steam: Ryudo2k9
Favorite title: Shenmue
Currently playing: Some weeb game as always.

PreviousNext

Return to Shenmue III