Would YOU donate to a Shenmue Project? (& how much)

(Chapter 7 and beyond)

Re: Would YOU donate to a Shenmue Project? (& how much)

Postby rdk_nl » Tue Feb 14, 2012 2:04 am

Shenmue I / II HD collection on PSN will pay USD40 each. (not to play, only to show my support, just like buying the Forklift DLC @ PSN)

Shenmue 3 in a professional "kickstart-like" Fund raising environment, I'm willing to pay USD200 for support.(when not receiving the game) And an amount of USD500-USD1000. Depends on if I get a (Limited/Donators) Shenmue3 version immediate after release maybe with a Record in the "Credits in the game booklet" as "Donator".

It also worked for Pier Solar's Posterity Version.

Will even pay more when getting involved with the production of Shenmue 3 (like getting monthly updates in a mailing list, or receive earlie test/beta copies or other "early stage" memorabilia :)
rdk_nl
Master of the Three Blades
Master of the Three Blades

Favorite title: Shenmue II

Postby mue 26 » Tue Feb 14, 2012 2:42 am

After reading up a bit more on this, it would certainly be a lot trickier for it to work with Shenmue. I think the biggest problem is that A) Shenmue would cost exponentially more to make than Phychonauts, B) Do people really want to give that money to Sega?

The only way I could see it working is if it was set up with Yu directly, and for the purpose of buying the rights off Sega, or something. But then what would he do with the rights? It's certainly more tricky than Double fines situation.
mue 26
Machine Gun Fist
Machine Gun Fist

Postby Luvly KM » Tue Feb 14, 2012 7:19 am

as previously stated I would happily and sensibly donate $200-250. I wouldn't even need a reward scheme a la Double Fine's Kickstarter campaign.

Heck, if it started to shape up (moving from pipe dream to "wow, this is actually happening") i would probably splurge another £300, no joke.

You hear of people buying consoles just for one game. Why not just buy that ONE GAME! :shock:
Luvly KM
Man Mo Acolyte
Man Mo Acolyte

Postby Peter » Tue Feb 14, 2012 10:59 am

mue 26 wrote:After reading up a bit more on this, it would certainly be a lot trickier for it to work with Shenmue. I think the biggest problem is that A) Shenmue would cost exponentially more to make than Phychonauts, B) Do people really want to give that money to Sega?

The only way I could see it working is if it was set up with Yu directly, and for the purpose of buying the rights off Sega, or something. But then what would he do with the rights? It's certainly more tricky than Double fines situation.

This is why i feel that raising donations for an independent company to gain the rights to Shenmue and Shenmue and converting them to HD and port for release on online marketplaces is the smartest way to go. Like i said in the past, think small, predict big. Gaining a profit through the sales of Shenmue related material is your best chance for Shenmue 3. I also understand people may not want this, but trust me from a business standpoint, this really is your best hope for a future Shenmue game.

I also understand the argument that DLC Shenmue is stupid, due to everyone here playing Shenmue to death. Well yes certainly that applies to us all here, but your missing the wider picture. You are also trying to sell the game as a nostalgic piece for some, and an experince never felt before for others. A re-release is not just for us here to enjoy, thats just small kindedness. But to entice gamers who have already played Shenmue before to buy this, maybe add a few extras to aid the selling. HD would convince me straight away, but maybe develop the boat scene and confrontation with Chai and include that into the DLC. Perhaps thats a bonus for those who donate a certain amount, or maybe exclusive toy capsules and raffle prizes etc. Those are just some thoughts off the top of my head.
Peter
Shenmue Dojo Owner
Shenmue III

PSN: TheGasmeter
Currently playing: Shenmue 2x

Postby Bluecast » Tue Feb 14, 2012 2:46 pm

Fuck DLC in the ass til it bleeds it's own intestines BUT DLC of the first two un altered might help reach a few noew people for new interest. Then if possible a remaster visual upgrade of the first two on Disc with Shenmue III
Bluecast
Jean Valjean
Banned

PSN: Ryudoadam
XBL: Dogi99
Nintendo FC: Segata
Steam: Ryudo2k9
Favorite title: Shenmue
Currently playing: Some weeb game as always.

Postby MiTT3NZ » Tue Feb 14, 2012 2:57 pm

Nah, DLC's great for longevity. I agree that certain unnecessary DLC are annoying, but if it keeps a game going, then that's great. People forget that not every game has a great replay value, DLC is a great, but then it opens the door to greed on the publishers's part who decide it'll be a money-spinning idea to cut content from the retail release and paste it into the download section. Wankers... But yeah, don't knock DLC, but they do need to start releasing discs with the DLC all packaged on there when they've stopped developing them. It's harsh on people who don't have the internet.
MiTT3NZ
Class A Cunt
Shenmue III

XBL: Mittens2317
Steam: Mittens2317
Currently playing: Football Manager 2012

Postby mue 26 » Tue Feb 14, 2012 5:25 pm

Peter wrote:This is why i feel that raising donations for an independent company to gain the rights to Shenmue and Shenmue and converting them to HD and port for release on online marketplaces is the smartest way to go. Like i said in the past, think small, predict big. Gaining a profit through the sales of Shenmue related material is your best chance for Shenmue 3. I also understand people may not want this, but trust me from a business standpoint, this really is your best hope for a future Shenmue game.

I also understand the argument that DLC Shenmue is stupid, due to everyone here playing Shenmue to death. Well yes certainly that applies to us all here, but your missing the wider picture. You are also trying to sell the game as a nostalgic piece for some, and an experince never felt before for others. A re-release is not just for us here to enjoy, thats just small kindedness. But to entice gamers who have already played Shenmue before to buy this, maybe add a few extras to aid the selling. HD would convince me straight away, but maybe develop the boat scene and confrontation with Chai and include that into the DLC. Perhaps thats a bonus for those who donate a certain amount, or maybe exclusive toy capsules and raffle prizes etc. Those are just some thoughts off the top of my head.

Yeah, this would definitely be the smartest way to do it. I would certainly be more than happy to donate towards a DLC Shenmue. If you think long term it is truly our only hope for a Shenmue 3. But are you thinking of giving the money directly to Ysnet, if not who would you have in mind? Also, there's the issue that there seems to currently be a possibility that DLC ports/remakes of the first two games are already in production, if you read between the lines of Yu's French interviews, at least. So would we wait and see or just go for it?

I would certainly be happy to contribute, though.
mue 26
Machine Gun Fist
Machine Gun Fist

Postby Stocke » Tue Feb 14, 2012 5:32 pm

I just can't stomach DLC. Some publishers really can get too greedy when it comes to it. IF something should be included in a game, it should be included on release.

But as long as we got shenmue III, i wouldn't really care.
Stocke
Man Mo Acolyte
Man Mo Acolyte

Postby Bluecast » Tue Feb 14, 2012 5:34 pm

Stocke wrote:I just can't stomach DLC. Some publishers really can get too greedy when it comes to it. IF something should be included in a game, it should be included on release.

Bluecast
Jean Valjean
Banned

Postby The_Intruder » Tue Feb 14, 2012 5:56 pm

We can make it possible if 20,000 of shenmue fans donate 1,000 each we can raised 20 million and SEGA put the rest to develop Shenmue 3. I'm willing to give 1,000
The_Intruder
"After Burner...Great!"
"After Burner...Great!"

PSN: Jann-Lee1999
Currently playing: Zelda:Breath of the wild

Postby Bluecast » Tue Feb 14, 2012 6:14 pm

The_Intruder wrote:We can make it possible if 20,000 of shenmue fans donate 1,000 each we can raised 20 million and SEGA put the rest to develop Shenmue 3. I'm willing to give 1,000

Where the fuck did you get a 1000$ that's so expendable? I never seen a 1000$ in my life. No one has that kind of money Esp on a silly game
Bluecast
Jean Valjean
Banned

Postby The_Intruder » Tue Feb 14, 2012 6:28 pm

Ryudo wrote:
The_Intruder wrote:We can make it possible if 20,000 of shenmue fans donate 1,000 each we can raised 20 million and SEGA put the rest to develop Shenmue 3. I'm willing to give 1,000

Where the fuck did you get a 1000$ that's so expendable? I never seen a 1000$ in my life. No one has that kind of money Esp on a silly game

I have $1000 saved up.
The_Intruder
"After Burner...Great!"
"After Burner...Great!"

PSN: Jann-Lee1999
Currently playing: Zelda:Breath of the wild

Postby mue 26 » Tue Feb 14, 2012 6:30 pm

Stocke wrote:I just can't stomach DLC. Some publishers really can get too greedy when it comes to it. IF something should be included in a game, it should be included on release.

But we're not talking about that kind of DLC, we're just talking about a downloadable version of the two Shenmue games. I guess I should have just said downloadable game rather than DLC.
mue 26
Machine Gun Fist
Machine Gun Fist

Postby Stocke » Tue Feb 14, 2012 6:30 pm

The_Intruder wrote:
Ryudo wrote:

I have $1000 saved up.

I don't know many people who would spend $1000 on a game sadly :lol:
I'm sure everyone here would if they could though.

But we're not talking about that kind of DLC, we're just talking about a downloadable version of the two Shenmue games. I guess I should have just said downloadable game rather than DLC.

Oh i get you. I'm a man who likes to physically own his games. But if it can't be helped then i really don't mind. Whatever makes it happen.
Stocke
Man Mo Acolyte
Man Mo Acolyte

Postby Bluecast » Tue Feb 14, 2012 6:33 pm

The_Intruder wrote:
Ryudo wrote:

I have $1000 saved up.

You must be rich then.
Bluecast
Jean Valjean
Banned

PreviousNext

Return to Shenmue III