Shenmue HD/3 Kickstarter

(Chapter 7 and beyond)

Re: Shenmue HD/3 Kickstarter

Postby ys » Fri Feb 15, 2013 8:44 am

Peter wrote: I wouldnt donate a penny, unless the fund was officially started by a credible gaming studio, or Suzuki himself.

I was about to answer this too. There was something earlier called Project CARS (racing simulator) where the developers had a whole plan ready from the start. If you donated a certain amount of money it could for example count towards paying the full game at release and you could partake in monthly betas. Pay more and you got the game at release plus weekly betas. Donate more and you could have things like : being able to deliver input during development, your name in the game etc. That's different because you knew there that you would get the game. Just donating and then asking a company to make it seems too risky.

ys has received a thanks from: Bluecast
ys
"Keep Friends"
"Keep Friends"

Favorite title: What's Shenmue

Postby Bluecast » Fri Feb 15, 2013 2:21 pm

ys wrote:
Peter wrote: I wouldnt donate a penny, unless the fund was officially started by a credible gaming studio, or Suzuki himself.

I was about to answer this too. There was something earlier called Project CARS (racing simulator) where the developers had a whole plan ready from the start. If you donated a certain amount of money it could for example count towards paying the full game at release and you could partake in monthly betas. Pay more and you got the game at release plus weekly betas. Donate more and you could have things like : being able to deliver input during development, your name in the game etc. That's different because you knew there that you would get the game. Just donating and then asking a company to make it seems too risky.

Many Kickstarters do that. I wanted to donate to the Pier Solar one but didn't have the money.
If you donated so much. You would get the OST,The game to download,Physical Copy as well.
Bluecast
Jean Valjean
Banned

PSN: Ryudoadam
XBL: Dogi99
Nintendo FC: Segata
Steam: Ryudo2k9
Favorite title: Shenmue
Currently playing: Some weeb game as always.

Postby Perfect_Chaos » Sun Feb 17, 2013 2:38 am

Ryudo wrote:
fromzero wrote: Instead of looking for reasons why it can't be done, find reasons why it can be. Sega explicitly said that they are willing to.roll the game out but not willing to publish it. Simply open a kickstarter for a publishing company who's main goal is to obtain publishing rights of "classic Sega f.r.e.e. games and future titles" once the kickstarter is rolling it shouldn't be too hard to get Yu on board. I'm still holding off for a book or anything. Even if we got a book, comic, cartoon, anything... I need closure to feel complete.

Yes the company that deletes people video's on YouTube because they mentioned Shining Force a 20 something year old game will let the fans take part in one of it's IP's.

most intelligent post in the entire thread

EDIT: i feel like that came off as sarcastic but was not intended to. i meant what i typed

Perfect_Chaos has received 2 thanks from: Bluecast, wude
Perfect_Chaos
Alpha Trading Boss
Alpha Trading Boss

Postby myshtuff » Mon Mar 11, 2013 10:08 am

How much would you guys be willing to donate for various incentives? Like how much would you give for a special edition or maybe how much to get put in the game as an NPC? I think it would be hilarious if they put donators in as lucky hit stand operators.
myshtuff
Dojo Dirtbag
"After Burner...Great!"

PSN: Myshtuff
Steam: spivakar
Currently playing: Yakuza 6

Postby MiTT3NZ » Mon Mar 11, 2013 10:36 am

I'd pay double what anyone else offers to make sure they don't appear as an NPC.
MiTT3NZ
Class A Cunt
Shenmue III

XBL: Mittens2317
Steam: Mittens2317
Currently playing: Football Manager 2012

Postby CodingGenesis » Mon Mar 11, 2013 11:20 am

(Warning: Haven't read the entire thread...)

This topic about Kickstarter really seems to occupy people. My personal, subjective thoughts regarding this are as follows:

Would I donate money to make Shenmue III happen via Kickstarter or similar projects?
Indeed, I would, BUT only if the campaign would have been started by Sega itself. Only if Sega was the one responsible for it and showed honest interest in making this game reality by donations from their fans, I could and would donate money without regrets.

How much would I donate?
Well, let's face reality, the amount of money I could donate depends on how my financial situation would be at that moment, independent of what I intended to donate. That being said, I own some rare games and collector's editions for which I have paid between 100$ to 200$. So I regard something like 200$ as the least amount I would intend to donate.

Just my thoughts and intentions on that.
CodingGenesis
Rockman X
Master of the Three Blades

PSN: CodingGenesis
Favorite title: Shenmue II
Currently playing: Changes on a daily basis.

Postby myshtuff » Mon Mar 11, 2013 11:23 am

MiTT3NZ wrote: I'd pay double what anyone else offers to make sure they don't appear as an NPC.

I'm not saying it has to be a significant role that would alter the story, but what's the harm in adding them as a store owner where you can buy small items?
myshtuff
Dojo Dirtbag
"After Burner...Great!"

Postby MiTT3NZ » Mon Mar 11, 2013 11:31 am

Put it this way, we have a member gallery here. I couldn't pick a single one - myself included - who wouldn't look ridiculously out of place in a Shenmue game.
MiTT3NZ
Class A Cunt
Shenmue III

XBL: Mittens2317
Steam: Mittens2317
Currently playing: Football Manager 2012

Postby myshtuff » Mon Mar 11, 2013 2:01 pm

It wouldn't have to be physical likeness. Maybe just a name or backstory. Or maybe the chance to create a backstory for a small character and be included in the credits.
myshtuff
Dojo Dirtbag
"After Burner...Great!"

Postby Stocke » Mon Mar 11, 2013 2:15 pm

If i could be an NPC in Shenmue III i would, even if i looked awful and out of place. I could BE in Shenmue.
Then i'd see other big donators in the game and complain.
Stocke
Man Mo Acolyte
Man Mo Acolyte

Postby Rakim » Mon Mar 11, 2013 2:42 pm

MiTT3NZ wrote: Put it this way, we have a member gallery here. I couldn't pick a single one - myself included - who wouldn't look ridiculously out of place in a Shenmue game.

That already happened. Its pretty obvious that Segata was the model for Master Zhoushan's street performing student.
Rakim
Machine Gun Fist
Machine Gun Fist

Postby elfshadowreaper » Mon Mar 11, 2013 3:03 pm

Only if I got to be a character that ordered Ryo around during some mundane money-making mini game by repetitive QTEs like, "LEFT LEFT LEFT LEFT LEFT *bonk* You're doing it wrong!!"

But honestly, I don't need any perks. I'd donate a few hundred dollars as long as I'm ok financially. Perks would be cool, but they won't make or break any decision to donate money. I'm talking about Shenmue 3. I don't think I'd donate money for HD remakes of 1 and 2.
elfshadowreaper
Alpha Trading Boss
Alpha Trading Boss

Postby killthesagabeforeitkillsu » Mon Mar 11, 2013 3:58 pm

Kickstarter was made for indy companies.
The only way you will ever see Shenmue III there, is if Yu gets the license.
killthesagabeforeitkillsu
Alpha Trading Boss
Alpha Trading Boss

Postby myshtuff » Tue Mar 12, 2013 11:09 am

If they do a perk for a limited edition bundle id like an art book or maybe something about the development of the game. That would be neat. So help me god though, if they do stupid micro transaction DLC I'm gonna rage.
myshtuff
Dojo Dirtbag
"After Burner...Great!"

Postby Rakim » Wed Mar 13, 2013 2:55 pm

Here's hope for those of you that want this to go down:
They posted a kickstarter to make a Veronica Mars movie yesterday and its already at just under 1 million dollars. I'm not too familiar with the show, but it couldn't have been very big cuz the wiki says its network was The CW and it only lasted 3 seasons, yet a campaign to make a movie version is pulling in money at a ridiculous rate. Every refresh seems to increase to total amount by the thousand.

http://www.kickstarter.com/projects/559 ... ie-project

If this seemingly long forgotten teen drama is doing this good I can only imagine Yu and his team would see results at least on par with this.

EDIT: So I'm reading the wikipedia page to that show and I see this line:
"Upon the cancellation of the series, fans sent more than 10,000 Mars Bars to the CW, hoping that the network would reverse its decision and renew the series."
Sounds like another group I know. Although if you read the rest of the article I think they're a little more devoted than us with the wacky stunts they've done.

Rakim has received a thanks from: myshtuff
Rakim
Machine Gun Fist
Machine Gun Fist

PreviousNext

Return to Shenmue III