New Yu Suzuki Interview from MAGS Conferance

(Chapter 7 and beyond)

Re: New Yu Suzuki Interview from MAGS Conferance

Postby Rakim » Fri May 17, 2013 12:31 pm

Let's Get Sweaty wrote: How are closed captions on YouTube generated? Is it machine translation, or supplied by the uploader?

Given all the other instances of Yu being misquoted at MAGS, I think it's worth exploring Rakim's point and getting a consensus on the correct translation of Suzuki's comments instead of relying on what's been supplied on YouTube.

As far as I know youtube can only machine generate closed captioning for the language thats being spoken, not translate into another. Even when transcribing from English to English the text is generally mad as a hatter compared to what is actually being said, so we can only imagine how off the wall it would be trying to go into Japanese. I'm pretty positive this was supplied by the uploader. But (I think)they're French so let's cut them some slack on the English portion of the translation.

Rakim has received a thanks from: Let's Get Sweaty
Rakim
Machine Gun Fist
Machine Gun Fist

Favorite title: Shenmue II

Postby Giorgio » Fri May 17, 2013 12:51 pm

I am sure that the English captions provided in this video are from the uploader of this. Logically, he has in the unmodified video the Japanese translator talking and providing the translation in French. Later, after he has recorded somewhere the translation (and also translate it to English), I think he cut the Japanese translator from the video (wherein he speaks), he left only Yu talking on that one and then he just put the translation through captions (the French one is part of the video and the English one is only via YouTube's captioning features).

Rakim wrote:As far as I know youtube can only machine generate closed captioning for the language thats being spoken, not translate into another. [...]

YouTube can do this. It can also do it with automatic captions.

Rakim wrote:Even when transcribing from English to English the text is generally mad as a hatter compared to what is actually being said, [...]

This is undoubtedly true.
Giorgio
"After Burner...Great!"
"After Burner...Great!"

Favorite title: Shenmue
Currently playing: Yakuza series

Postby elfshadowreaper » Fri May 17, 2013 3:05 pm

It seems like Sega is planning several games for Nintendo systems. I'd love to think Shenmue III is one of them slated for the Wii U. Don't get me wrong, I really don't think the Wii U as it is now is the best system for S3. I love Nintendo but the Wii U has been a flop. If they'd have just called it something different I would have been more inclined to buy it.
elfshadowreaper
Alpha Trading Boss
Alpha Trading Boss

Postby Let's Get Sweaty » Fri May 17, 2013 3:31 pm

elfshadowreaper wrote:I really don't think the Wii U as it is now is the best system for S3. I love Nintendo but the Wii U has been a flop.

Then it should feel like a home away from home for an old Dreamcast franchise.

Let's Get Sweaty has received a thanks from: The_Intruder
Let's Get Sweaty
Machine Gun Fist
Machine Gun Fist

Favorite title: Shenmue IIx
Currently playing: truant

Postby ShenSun » Fri May 17, 2013 4:34 pm

Sega will never do anything with Shenmue again. The only slim chance of another title is if Yu can find an external party to help him create it.
ShenSun
Alpha Trading Boss
Alpha Trading Boss

Postby lavrentis » Fri May 17, 2013 4:54 pm

Depressing
lavrentis
Shenmue - THE best game
Alpha Trading Boss

Postby Snakiest » Fri May 17, 2013 8:06 pm

I doubt Sega has the human resources for a Shenmue game. Not to mention financial. I pin my hopes on that recent meeting between Yu and the big gun from Sony. Hope dies last, so it still has decades to go.
Snakiest
Master of the Three Blades

Postby ys » Fri May 17, 2013 8:34 pm

Ryudo wrote: I don't know what it's like to be in his position. He loves the series as it's his baby but also saddened it's dead and must hurt a little every time someone asks about Shenmue... Must be harder on his end. I kinda feel bad for him.

I know, I mentioned something similar before. I can understand him when it comes to building up something just to have other crap get in the way.

Wanderin' wrote: To be a Shenmue fan, that was *incredibly* soul crushing.

I found that it had about the same underlying vibe as several other interviews actually : one of having the odds against you.

The_Intruder wrote: I think the only way we are going to see Shenmue III is if anyone of us wins the lottery and hire Yu Suzuki and buy the rights of Shenmue.

It sounds more plausible than other alternatives unfortunately.

By the way Snakiest, what's that about a meeting with someone from Sony?
ys
"Keep Friends"
"Keep Friends"

Favorite title: What's Shenmue

Postby Snakiest » Fri May 17, 2013 10:39 pm

It was in march. I can't believe this respectable community hasn't heard of it. Come to think of it, I don't remember reading it here. Anyway, it came from Twitter. A GDC insider posted a picture of Yu and the guy behind PS4 (he presented it this year at the Sony conference, I cant remember his name - Cerny or Curny something). She said they were talking Shenmue 3 behind closed doors, though she neither confirmed it was a joke nor denied it. Who knows? If Sony is really so serious about pleasing core gamers they could as well go for Shenmue as an exclusive. If there is a company who has the resources to make the game, it is Sony.
Snakiest

Postby Bluecast » Fri May 17, 2013 11:35 pm

Snakiest wrote: It was in march. I can't believe this respectable community hasn't heard of it. Come to think of it, I don't remember reading it here. Anyway, it came from Twitter. A GDC insider posted a picture of Yu and the guy behind PS4 (he presented it this year at the Sony conference, I cant remember his name - Cerny or Curny something). She said they were talking Shenmue 3 behind closed doors, though she neither confirmed it was a joke nor denied it. Who knows? If Sony is really so serious about pleasing core gamers they could as well go for Shenmue as an exclusive. If there is a company who has the resources to make the game, it is Sony.

It was here and was a crock of shit. Also Cerny got his start at Sonic Team USA back on Sonic 2 on Genesis so he is a longtime industry vet and ties to SEGA. That GDC cunt tho was looking to troll however.
Bluecast
Jean Valjean
Banned

PSN: Ryudoadam
XBL: Dogi99
Nintendo FC: Segata
Steam: Ryudo2k9
Currently playing: Some weeb game as always.

Postby CharAznable » Sat May 18, 2013 3:29 am

That interview was incredibly sad honestly, the way he is talking he is working on a bunch of very niche titles aimed at only the Japanese market right now. Which is understandable considering the circumstances surrounding his career, but its sad to think that he has went from one of the key minds that made Sega great to making such small limited scope titles . Considering this, he seemed rather happy discussing his current activities and plans, but as soon as Shenmue came up he became very short and almost reluctant to speak at all. Makes me really wonder if Sega has completely shut down any hope he has for finishing the series, which seems very likely considering everything that has went on around the title.

I just wish he would be more forward about the state of the franchise legally, considering his leave and eventual creation of Ys that seems like it should not be an issue. But maybe he still retains some hope for creating it one day. I am sure its like his baby, and if it has been shut down completely by locked down rights or the like, then maybe it upsets him to talk about it, and perhaps he simply does not want to tread on the hopes of his creations fan base. But honestly at this point, i think i would rather just have my hopes crushed. I have been waiting so long for this game, and all the fan base has ever got from Sega was wishy washy answers and facts regarding its current state of affairs regarding Shenmue.
CharAznable
Fuku-san
Fuku-san

Steam: QuattroBajeena
Favorite title: Shenmue II
Currently playing: Shenmue Forever

Postby Snakiest » Sat May 18, 2013 4:33 am

Ryudo wrote:It was here and was a crock of shit. Also Cerny got his start at Sonic Team USA back on Sonic 2 on Genesis so he is a longtime industry vet and ties to SEGA. That GDC cunt tho was looking to troll however.

Well, too bad. Spears dull, dreams defeated. And yes, she is a bitch if true about trolling.:evil:
Snakiest

Postby nskachu » Sat May 18, 2013 4:34 am

CharAznable wrote: That interview was incredibly sad honestly, the way he is talking he is working on a bunch of very niche titles aimed at only the Japanese market right now. Which is understandable considering the circumstances surrounding his career, but its sad to think that he has went from one of the key minds that made Sega great to making such small limited scope titles . Considering this, he seemed rather happy discussing his current activities and plans, but as soon as Shenmue came up he became very short and almost reluctant to speak at all. Makes me really wonder if Sega has completely shut down any hope he has for finishing the series, which seems very likely considering everything that has went on around the title.

I just wish he would be more forward about the state of the franchise legally, considering his leave and eventual creation of Ys that seems like it should not be an issue. But maybe he still retains some hope for creating it one day. I am sure its like his baby, and if it has been shut down completely by locked down rights or the like, then maybe it upsets him to talk about it, and perhaps he simply does not want to tread on the hopes of his creations fan base. But honestly at this point, i think i would rather just have my hopes crushed. I have been waiting so long for this game, and all the fan base has ever got from Sega was wishy washy answers and facts regarding its current state of affairs regarding Shenmue.

Actually, even if there was a clear statement (maybe by Suzuki-san) then i would still believe Shenmue was going to be released. That will be the day they invent unicorns for delivering one copy for every fan...
but i won’t give up.
nskachu
Man Mo Acolyte
Man Mo Acolyte

Currently playing: with feelings

Postby Yokosuka Martian » Sat May 18, 2013 8:42 am

If Guns N' Roses Chinese Democracy can come out eventually, then so can Shenmue III :-p
Yokosuka Martian
"After Burner...Great!"
"After Burner...Great!"

PSN: MarcinTheMartian
XBL: YokosukaMartian
Currently playing: ..Uhh Shenmue

Postby ys » Sat May 18, 2013 9:42 am

Ryudo wrote:
Snakiest wrote: It was in march. I can't believe this respectable community hasn't heard of it. Come to think of it, I don't remember reading it here. Anyway, it came from Twitter. A GDC insider posted a picture of Yu and the guy behind PS4 (he presented it this year at the Sony conference, I cant remember his name - Cerny or Curny something). She said they were talking Shenmue 3 behind closed doors, though she neither confirmed it was a joke nor denied it. Who knows? If Sony is really so serious about pleasing core gamers they could as well go for Shenmue as an exclusive. If there is a company who has the resources to make the game, it is Sony.

It was here and was a crock of shit. Also Cerny got his start at Sonic Team USA back on Sonic 2 on Genesis so he is a longtime industry vet and ties to SEGA. That GDC cunt tho was looking to troll however.

OK, thanks for the answers guys.
ys
"Keep Friends"
"Keep Friends"

PreviousNext

Return to Shenmue III