Sony Is Trying To Bring Shenmue To Playstation

(Chapter 7 and beyond)

Re: Sony Is Trying To Bring Shenmue To Playstation

Postby AdamKoralik » Sun Nov 24, 2013 10:27 pm

MiTT3NZ wrote: Image

Chill, I was responding to two very nice comments, that I found separately. Then I wanted to post something new.
AdamKoralik
Master of the Three Blades

Favorite title: Shenmue II

Postby MiTT3NZ » Sun Nov 24, 2013 10:45 pm

AdamKoralik wrote:Chill

MiTT3NZ
Class A Cunt
Shenmue III

XBL: Mittens2317
Steam: Mittens2317
Favorite title: Shenmue
Currently playing: Football Manager 2012

Postby AdamKoralik » Sun Nov 24, 2013 11:00 pm

AdamKoralik

Postby Radar » Sun Nov 24, 2013 11:14 pm

Maybe I'm stupid, but I still don't understand how exactly Sony can bring Shenmue to us.
is they going to buy license from Sega or force them to make it or what?
And will Yu Suzuki be related to it? I don't really want Shenmue 3 without him.
Radar
Man Mo Acolyte
Man Mo Acolyte

Postby MiTT3NZ » Sun Nov 24, 2013 11:21 pm

They insinuated that they were going to open negotiations to bring HD ports of Shenmue I & II and localised versions of Yakuza [insert number(s) here] to the PS4.

Well, that's the optimistic way of looking at it. All they said was that they're looking at bringing a number of game franchises - whether new entries or HD ports/remixes - to the PS4, and that Shenmue & Yakuza were among the most requested.
MiTT3NZ
Class A Cunt
Shenmue III

XBL: Mittens2317
Steam: Mittens2317
Currently playing: Football Manager 2012

Postby AdamKoralik » Sun Nov 24, 2013 11:25 pm

Radar wrote: Maybe I'm stupid, but I still don't understand how exactly Sony can bring Shenmue to us.
is they going to buy license from Sega or force them to make it or what?
And will Yu Suzuki be related to it? I don't really want Shenmue 3 without him.

The theory is, Sega is a third party developer. If Sony is paying the bills, then Sega will make it.
AdamKoralik

Postby ShenGCH » Mon Nov 25, 2013 2:37 am

Hey, hey, y'all! Not sure if this will be seen as advertising, or anything, but I made a video last week expressing my excitement about the excellent news as well as some ideas for improvements for the HD remasters, etc., so I'd love to hear what you think of it:

phpBB [video]

Also, in regards to getting as many people on board as possible, I think it would be a really good idea to reach out to ScottishDuck17 (he also has a secondary channel under ScottishDuckTales), a YouTube let's-player who you may have heard of whose favourite games of all time are Shenmue I and II, and see if he can have his subscribers and followers spread the word and the like. Might be awesome!

His Twitter can be found here: @Scottish_Duck

December 3rd, here we come :D!

xx

ShenGCH has received 2 thanks from: Giorgio, Rakim
ShenGCH
"After Burner...Great!"
"After Burner...Great!"

Postby Rakim » Mon Nov 25, 2013 3:11 am

I was gonna make fun of you for being fat, but then I realized that isn't you in the thumbnail there. So congratulations on not being fat.

I also liked your video. Cheers bro.
Rakim
Machine Gun Fist
Machine Gun Fist

Postby AdamKoralik » Mon Nov 25, 2013 3:41 am

ShenGCH wrote: Hey, hey, y'all! Not sure if this will be seen as advertising, or anything, but I made a video last week expressing my excitement about the excellent news as well as some ideas for improvements for the HD remasters, etc., so I'd love to hear what you think of it:

phpBB [video]

Because you asked...

1: The story that came about regarding a Sega employee claiming Shenmue I and II HD were done was confusion on the former employee's part. They were never finished.

2: The Kickstarter thing was a massive fuck up. The short version is that the translator mistranslated what Yu Suzuki said.

3: HD Remasters being released. I stand in the unpopular minority here. Everyone wants Sega to put them out there on everything and hope for the best. I see this as absurd.

First, Sega has such little faith in the series, you can be damn sure they wouldn't do the ports justice.

Second, they throw away their best bargaining chip with any potential investor. Let's say I'm Sony. I'm vaguely interested in funding Shenmue III. But I want Shenmue I and II exclusively on my console so that it maximizes the amount of customers who NEED my hardware. If Sega released an HD port on their own, to everything (consoles and PC), kiss Shenmue III good bye. Unless it sold a STELLAR amount. Which it wouldn't be likely to do.

Expanding on that. If you think I'm wrong, I present you with the fact that Sega released HD ports of Crazy Taxi, Sonic Adventure I and II, Jet Grind Radio, and so on. Where are their next installments? Exactly.

4: Please give up any delusion of Shenmue I, II, or III being released on the PC. You may like the idea on the surface, and I agree with you. The modding potential would be fun. But you need to properly analyze how unrealistic that is. As said above, if Shenmue I and II HD get releases on everything, PC included, with no Shenmue III on the horizon, then that is where it all ends.

5: I like some of the ideas you have for changing certain things about the game play.

Using the second joystick is a good idea. Though I disagree with changing the pacing, though you don't seem to agree with yourself either. :P

But, I can see where you're coming from.

I agree with the online leaderboards, that'd be neat.

Disagree with the rotary dial complaint, but that's a personal preference.

I completely agree with the music suggestion.

I also agree with the voice acting, leave it be. But I'd like the option to switch between languages. English and Japanese. Personally I prefer the Japanese audio and English subtitles.

Though most of these changes are unrealistic. It's highly unlikely Sega would change anything for the better. If Sony is paying the bills, then maybe. But unfortunately you use examples of games that were massive successes financially that got proper remake treatment. Metal Gear Solid and Halo for example. Shenmue would not qualify, as much as I love it.

6: Welcoming Shenmue III, that's a given sir. :D

7: As stated before, unless you have one specific console creator fully investing in Shenmue, you better pray it doesn't get an HD release. Though I wouldn't worry about this, it's clear Sega won't be doing it themselves.

8: You can't guarantee Shenmue would sell well. We all hope it would, but we do not know that. Though I do think it'd move a bunch of PS4s off shelves.

9: I think it's vastly more likely Sega will simply grant permission to Sony in exchange for a cut of the profits or a pre-paid licensing fee.

10: Overall, nice analysis, thanks for making it.
Last edited by AdamKoralik on Mon Nov 25, 2013 3:48 am, edited 1 time in total.

AdamKoralik has received a thanks from: Giorgio
AdamKoralik

Postby ShenSun » Mon Nov 25, 2013 3:46 am

Let us commence the Shenmue assault on Sony, Sega, and the world. TeamYu and Adam Koralik will be on the front lines fighting the good fight.

Lets make December 3rd a special day.

Adam, is there any chance you could make another video nearer to the event in order to promote it? The thunderclap method is definitely worth mentioning as it allows others to pretweet before the big day.
ShenSun
Alpha Trading Boss
Alpha Trading Boss

Postby AdamKoralik » Mon Nov 25, 2013 3:50 am

Hook me up with the details and I probably will. I only did that Thunderclap thing once.
AdamKoralik

Postby ShenSun » Mon Nov 25, 2013 3:53 am

Nice. I'll speak with the Team Yu guys and get all the relevant information for you. I'll send you a private message within the next few days.

cheers man
ShenSun
Alpha Trading Boss
Alpha Trading Boss

Postby AdamKoralik » Mon Nov 25, 2013 3:56 am

Okay cool, sounds good.
AdamKoralik

Postby ShOzO MiZuKi » Mon Nov 25, 2013 4:05 am

Speaking of YouTubers making comments about Shenmue, maybe someone could try to contact the guys from TheSw1tcher. They make really good play throughs and will typically make fun of games, however all the times I have heard them mention Shenmue it has been in a positive light. They get hundreds of thousands of views for their video games. Maybe there is a chance they could post something small on December 3rd. Also the Let's Play guys from rooster teeth are worth a shot. I know Michael is a pretty big fan of Shenmue. Just some suggestions of people with a large audience that could help spread the word.
ShOzO MiZuKi
Homeless and hungry
Machine Gun Fist

PSN: Old_Battle_Axe
XBL: TheLastR3negade
Currently playing: Yakuza 3

Postby AdamKoralik » Mon Nov 25, 2013 4:10 am

ShOzO MiZuKi wrote: Speaking of YouTubers making comments about Shenmue, maybe someone could try to contact the guys from TheSw1tcher. They make really good play throughs and will typically make fun of games, however all the times I have heard them mention Shenmue it has been in a positive light. They get hundreds of thousands of views for their video games. Maybe there is a chance they could post something small on December 3rd. Also the Let's Play guys from rooster teeth are worth a shot. I know Michael is a pretty big fan of Shenmue. Just some suggestions of people with a large audience that could help spread the word.

I've worked with Matt and Pat on my other channel. I wouldn't go so far as to call us friends, but I can tell you they wouldn't be likely to make a video dedicated to Shenmue because the views wouldn't be likely to follow. But, hey, that's just my guess.

Frankly, if they have respect for Shenmue, they haven't played it on the channel for the same reason we haven't on GameSocietyPimps (my other channel). The game is simply too highly respected by us to be made fun of.
AdamKoralik

PreviousNext

Return to Shenmue III