Why Shenmue's Future Only Makes Sense on PS4.

(Chapter 7 and beyond)

Re: Why Shenmue's Future Only Makes Sense on PS4.

Postby Giorgio » Fri Dec 06, 2013 8:48 am

[I have a question for this whole discussion based on Adam's video; this question is semi-irrelevant. I want to understand what are the possible motives behind this.
- Is it just because this is an open forum and arguments are being made just for the sake of it?
- Is it because I want to hone my argument skills?
- Is it because I want to prove Adam is wrong and I am right? Now, what's the point in that?
-- I want to prove Adam wrong just to feel superior?
-- I want to point some wrong arguments that Adam made, so as to correct him and help him improve? Now, if I honestly want him to improve, what is my motive behind this?
--- Is it because I like to help people? (1)
--- For the sake of truth and let others be enlightened by the facts that are closer to the truth?
--- Because, if I'll help him have better facts, that in return will help him produce better discussions on his videos? Now, what's the point in that?
---- (1)
---- Is it because It will generally help his channel?
---- Is it because he will be able through his channel to better promote Shenmue's cause and/or attract more people who are willing to help?

Different people may have different motives. You may skip this post, but I found this as a chance to understand ...motives, in that specific situation.]
Giorgio
"After Burner...Great!"
"After Burner...Great!"

Favorite title: Shenmue
Currently playing: Yakuza series

Postby MiTT3NZ » Fri Dec 06, 2013 10:51 am

Latin King wrote:Shenmue being on Sony's list of games, Sony Magazine's poll, and stuff like that. Sure, it's not news directly related to the development of a Shenmue game, but it's new information regarding events that have happened involving the Shenmue name. That can be considered news for Shenmue fans since we never get news anyways.

I still wouldn't call it news though tbh.

Latin King wrote:He never straight up insulted anyone, at least that's not the impression I got. He said people are "willing to learn" because honestly not every person is aware of the things he's trying to explain in the video. I think you're making it a bigger deal than it really is.

No, he did. Especially the third group. Insults don't just come down to words, also the tone, emphasis, and body language. Watch again from 1:50 to 3:10. Hell, at the end he even says that "the first group" are "smart enough to understand." So, agreeing with him apparently makes you smart. I'd hate to be in that third group, banging my knife and fork against the table like a spoiled kid. That's how everyone who doesn't agree acts, right?

Latin King wrote:What did he say were facts?

He doesn't use the word "fact". "It's been proven" is an obvious abbreviation of "It's been proven as fact". You can see it from 6:31. Again, the tone, mannerisms, etc. personify this. Oh, he calls it "an established fact" at 7:26. He then goes on about facts for a little while, talking about unrelated shit... "fanboyism".

Latin King wrote:These are some interesting scenarios, but I think he wanted to focus on something that's happening right now. Right now, it seems Sony may have an interest in acquiring Shenmue, thus being the most relevant scenario to discuss in the video. But I do somewhat agree, he could have brought up one or two other scenarios.

And this is what I'm saying, the message of the video is that, due to the recent "news", that somehow means that this scenario is the only one that makes sense. Because Shenmue won another poll.

Latin King wrote:You seem... bitter.

How so?

Latin King wrote:Honestly, he does come off very strongly. But, I truly believe he just wants what's the best for the series.

That's so irrelevant I'm going to tap my own window in response.

Latin King wrote:I mean, at least he explained why he believes it to be superior. He brought up the transferring of saves and better voice acting. But he could have said it was opinion only.

Funnily enough, we don't even know if the JAP version had better voice acting.

Latin King wrote:Again, I think you're really exaggerating. He just has a strong tone and is very emphatic, I don't think he deems anything he said to be "gospel".

It's not a strong tone, it's a condescending one.

Latin King wrote:I mean, I guess? But what would honestly be the point of a 4 second video? lol

What was the point in the other 36 minutes 33 seconds?

Latin King wrote:Yes, it could have been condensed. But didn't you also say he could've discussed more scenarios, thus making the video longer? I feel like we're going in circles here.

By trimming the fat. Which there is a LOT of. By sticking the topic at hand. Which he doesn't.

Giorgio wrote: [I have a question for this whole discussion based on Adam's video; this question is semi-irrelevant. I want to understand what are the possible motives behind this.

Is this a serious question? Or are you just trying to defend Adam in a slightly passive-aggressive manner?

MiTT3NZ has received a thanks from: Who Really Cares?
MiTT3NZ
Class A Cunt
Shenmue III

XBL: Mittens2317
Steam: Mittens2317
Currently playing: Football Manager 2012

Postby Giorgio » Fri Dec 06, 2013 12:27 pm

[
MiTT3NZ wrote:Is this a serious question? Or are you just trying to defend Adam in a slightly passive-aggressive manner?

Serious without innuendos.]
Giorgio
"After Burner...Great!"
"After Burner...Great!"

Postby Rakim » Fri Dec 06, 2013 12:43 pm

This thread sucks.

Rakim has received 4 thanks from: MiTT3NZ, mue 26, Who Really Cares?, Yokosuka Martian
Rakim
Machine Gun Fist
Machine Gun Fist

Favorite title: Shenmue II

Postby MiTT3NZ » Fri Dec 06, 2013 1:08 pm

Giorgio wrote:
MiTT3NZ wrote:Is this a serious question? Or are you just trying to defend Adam in a slightly passive-aggressive manner?

- This is an internet message board, it exists to discuss things.
- This video has it's own topic, and is therefore to be discussed.
- Discussion can comprise of both positive and negative aspects.
- I believe that the video is poor in both presentation and execution.
- I am an individual who doesn't shy away from expressing opinion on the basis that it may offend someone.
- Critical as it may have been, my post did so in a constructive manner, something that should be encouraged.
- If somebody spoke to me in the same way that Adam did in this video, I would've wrapped a chair around their face (but if it injured them or was perceived in an aggressive manner, just know that it wasn't my intention)

MiTT3NZ has received 2 thanks from: Giorgio, Who Really Cares?
MiTT3NZ
Class A Cunt
Shenmue III

XBL: Mittens2317
Steam: Mittens2317
Currently playing: Football Manager 2012

Postby mue 26 » Sat Dec 07, 2013 9:40 am

Rakim wrote: This thread sucks.

Yeah. Definitely a strong contender for worst thread of the year, not due to the original post though, but how things developed.

mue 26 has received a thanks from: Giorgio
mue 26
Machine Gun Fist
Machine Gun Fist

Postby ShOzO MiZuKi » Sat Dec 07, 2013 9:43 am

phpBB [video]

If you skip to 3 minutes you can see where nintendo stands on listening to fans and localizing games. This strongly suggests that Shenmue III would not be coming to the Wii U in my opinion.
ShOzO MiZuKi
Homeless and hungry
Machine Gun Fist

PSN: Old_Battle_Axe
XBL: TheLastR3negade
Currently playing: Yakuza 3

Postby Giorgio » Sat Dec 07, 2013 9:46 am

ShOzO MiZuKi wrote:If you skip to 3 minutes you can see where nintendo stands on listening to fans and localizing games. This strongly suggests that Shenmue III would not be coming to the Wii U in my opinion.

Nintendo: fan campaigns "don't affect what we do" - http://www.eurogamer.net/articles/2013- ... what-we-do
"100,000 signatures doesn't mean 100,000 sales."
Nintendo has some of the most passionate fans of any games company, but even it has admitted that customer petitions hold little sway in business decisions.

Operation Rainfall - the most notable fan campaign in recent years - received the support of thousands of Wii owners who wanted three Japanese Wii titles localised in North America - Xenoblade Chronicles, The Last Story, and Pandora's Tower.

All three games were eventually released, but Nintendo of America boss Reggie Fils-Aime has suggested that the campaign's effect should not be overstated.

"I have to tell you - it doesn't affect what we do," Fils-Aime told Siliconera. "We certainly look at it, and we're certainly aware of it, but it doesn't necessarily affect what we do.

"I wanted to bring Xenoblade here. The deal was, how much of a localisation effort is it? How many units are we going to sell, are we going to make money? We were literally having this debate while Operation Rainfall was happening, and we were aware that there was interest for the game, but we had to make sure that it was a strong financial proposition."

The trio of titles were released some time after Rainfall was founded, yet the fact they arrived at all was seen as a sign of the campaign's success. A number of spin-off petitions followed - some successful, most not.

"I'm paid to make sure that we're driving the business forward - so we're aware of what's happening, but in the end we've got to do what's best for the company. The thing we know [about petitions] is that 100,000 signatures doesn't mean 100,000 sales," Fils-Aime concluded.
Giorgio
"After Burner...Great!"
"After Burner...Great!"

Postby Let's Get Sweaty » Sat Dec 07, 2013 11:03 am

Fortunately they don't need to listen to consumer demand, what with the Wii U flying off the shelves and everything.
Let's Get Sweaty
Machine Gun Fist
Machine Gun Fist

Favorite title: Shenmue IIx
Currently playing: truant

Postby Giorgio » Sat Dec 07, 2013 11:59 am

That was a mistake to come out and say something like that in front of their fans. His mindset about what business is the gaming industry led him to not double-think what he just said. That or he shares the current motto of the whole industry, something like "if you want to survive, don't listen to your fans, but look at the numbers". Something like SEGA's doing. But that is not a panacea to your business. Even so, it is not a balanced mindset between your fans and the numbers. Sure, he said that they hear them but in the end they look at how much it will cost and how much it will sell, but if you're loosing *loyal* customers, then someday your business' charts will experience a sudden decline. On a second thought, that statement was one of despair; based on how Wii U's sales doing; kind of in an aggressive manner, cold heart logic, but not balanced.

In contrast, PlayStation's team's mindset *seems* completely different. Even before PS4's launch, they managed to bring Borderlands 2; that led them to use that team and *ask* what games *fans* want. Therefore, they first listen to the fans and then logically are looking at the most effective ways to bring what fans want, to "make peoples' pockets happy". Completely different approach from Nintendo's. They even promoting motto's such as "#4ThePlayers", #GreatnessAwaits" et cetera. The only piece missing from PS' idealistic image puzzle, is to act-ually do what fans want, go for the next real step. That, personally as a *fan*, will convince me to follow what they offer about gaming, as long as they keep approaching fans that way.

Now, about Microsoft, their policies are known. Monopolistic, setting the standards on what consumer would want, but without asking them... Absolutely capitalistic mindset, which sets what you have to buy, not what you want to buy, as a consumer. Their DRM and privacy policies, and generally their policies, is something that personally frightened I want to avoid and stay away from...

Giorgio has received a thanks from: Let's Get Sweaty
Giorgio
"After Burner...Great!"
"After Burner...Great!"

Postby Who Really Cares? » Sun Dec 08, 2013 4:51 pm

MiTT3NZ wrote:
Giorgio wrote:

- This is an internet message board, it exists to discuss things.
- This video has it's own topic, and is therefore to be discussed.
- Discussion can comprise of both positive and negative aspects.
- I believe that the video is poor in both presentation and execution.
- I am an individual who doesn't shy away from expressing opinion on the basis that it may offend someone.
- Critical as it may have been, my post did so in a constructive manner, something that should be encouraged.
- If somebody spoke to me in the same way that Adam did in this video, I would've wrapped a chair around their face (but if it injured them or was perceived in an aggressive manner, just know that it wasn't my intention)

That's more of that 'group C' talk. ;)

Who Really Cares? has received a thanks from: MiTT3NZ
Who Really Cares?
Shenmue III
Shenmue III

XBL: Baihu1983
Currently playing: TitanFall

Postby BigTuna » Sun Dec 08, 2013 11:31 pm

Ok. Let me start by saying this. Adam. Dude, I love your vids. I had no idea you were on the Dojo, man. But it does make total sense that you would be.
But I kinda hope Shenmue HD/3 is available on either just Xbox or both Xbox & Playstation. Only because I hate Sony & seriously think their products suck. Let me explain.

Through out the years I have had 3 Sony Playstation products & 2 Microsoft Xbox products(not counting my Sega & Nintendo systems). And sadly. My original Playstation died & my 2 PS2 consoles died. In a short spand of time, honestly.
Whereas my original Xbox & my 360 are still to this day running like champs. Microsoft makes a much better bamf product than Sony IMO. I swore off Sony after my last PS2 kicked the bucket.

With that said. If I have to buy a PS4 to play Shenmue I definitely will. In a heartbeat, man.
But I'm hoping it'll also be available for the XBOX ONE or just exclusively on the Xbox. Cos I'd much rather give my earnings to Microsoft than Sony.
Last edited by BigTuna on Mon Dec 09, 2013 12:37 am, edited 1 time in total.
BigTuna
Master of the Three Blades

Currently playing: Breath Of The Wild

Postby south carmain » Sun Dec 08, 2013 11:38 pm

^my first xbox exploded and nearly burnt my house down
south carmain
Comrade of the motherland
"Keep Friends"

Favorite title: Shenmue IIx
Currently playing: okami hd

Postby BigTuna » Sun Dec 08, 2013 11:57 pm

south carmain wrote: ^my first xbox exploded and nearly burnt my house down

Damn, son. Glad I've never had that experience with any of my consoles.
BigTuna

Currently playing: Breath Of The Wild

Postby AdamKoralik » Mon Dec 09, 2013 1:35 am

BigTuna wrote: Ok. Let me start by saying this. Adam. Dude, I love your vids. I had no idea you were on the Dojo, man. But it does make total sense that you would be.
But I kinda hope Shenmue HD/3 is available on either just Xbox or both Xbox & Playstation. Only because I hate Sony & seriously think their products suck. Let me explain.

Through out the years I have had 3 Sony Playstation products & 2 Microsoft Xbox products(not counting my Sega & Nintendo systems). And sadly. My original Playstation died & my 2 PS2 consoles died. In a short spand of time, honestly.
Whereas my original Xbox & my 360 are still to this day running like champs. Microsoft makes a much better bamf product than Sony IMO. I swore off Sony after my last PS2 kicked the bucket.

With that said. If I have to buy a PS4 to play Shenmue I definitely will. In a heartbeat, man.
But I'm hoping it'll also be available for the XBOX ONE or just exclusively on the Xbox. Cos I'd much rather give my earnings to Microsoft than Sony.

Thanks for watching. To be clear, I'd take it on anything, even the Colecovision if it made sense. I just think the PS4 is the most practical option. Which sucks to say as I don't even like the Playstation brand.
AdamKoralik

PreviousNext

Return to Shenmue III