Why Shenmue's Future Only Makes Sense on PS4.

(Chapter 7 and beyond)

Re: Why Shenmue's Future Only Makes Sense on PS4.

Postby south carmain » Sun Dec 01, 2013 9:06 pm

killthesagabeforeitkillsu wrote:
south carmain wrote: ^But shenmue is hardly popular at all these days, can you provide any proof at all that shenmue would somehow perform better than those titles? Wasteland also didn't need to be popular since it branded itself as the godfather of the fallout series and fed on that.

and sorry to burst your bubble but megaman is more popular than Shenmue, as opposed to our campaigns they had no problem at all gathering more than the 100k likes they wanted for their bring back megaman legends 3 campaign.

Even if Sony acquires the Shenmue license, you can bet your balls they won't go over 10M for the game. These are the only 2 scenarios I see happening.

Though I'm not saying this is wrong however do you have anything at all to back this up or are you just going on an uneducated hunch?

Every cult game is hardly popular these days, including megaman and all the franchises I mentioned. What kind of proof did all of them have before starting their campaign? Well, surely not a "burst your bubble" attitude.

Well megaman kind of had a campaign page with over 150 000 likes compared to our group of 15k that includes thousands of people added without their consent. so yeah there's that.

south carmain has received a thanks from: MiTT3NZ
south carmain
Comrade of the motherland
"Keep Friends"

Favorite title: Shenmue IIx
Currently playing: okami hd

Postby killthesagabeforeitkillsu » Sun Dec 01, 2013 10:20 pm

south carmain wrote:
south carmain wrote: ^But shenmue is hardly popular at all these days, can you provide any proof at all that shenmue would somehow perform better than those titles? Wasteland also didn't need to be popular since it branded itself as the godfather of the fallout series and fed on that.

and sorry to burst your bubble but megaman is more popular than Shenmue, as opposed to our campaigns they had no problem at all gathering more than the 100k likes they wanted for their bring back megaman legends 3 campaign.

Even if Sony acquires the Shenmue license, you can bet your balls they won't go over 10M for the game. These are the only 2 scenarios I see happening.

Though I'm not saying this is wrong however do you have anything at all to back this up or are you just going on an uneducated hunch?

Every cult game is hardly popular these days, including megaman and all the franchises I mentioned. What kind of proof did all of them have before starting their campaign? Well, surely not a "burst your bubble" attitude.

Well megaman kind of had a campaign page with over 150 000 likes compared to our group of 15k that includes thousands of people added without their consent. so yeah there's that.

Great for them. I for once have yet to like a campaign on facebook but I still pledged for shadowrun, mighty no.9 and dreamfall. Also, how many likes does Project Eternity have on their facebook campaign... I seriously don't know... by your logic might be around 200 000.
killthesagabeforeitkillsu
Alpha Trading Boss
Alpha Trading Boss

Postby Stocke » Sun Dec 01, 2013 10:27 pm

Come on man, i think you're confusing constructive criticism with "personal attacks" here. (although mittens could of been a bit more tactful with his criticism).
It's no so much the message you're sending (which i completely agree with) more how it's presented in your video.
You do constantly label logical assumptions as facts, and the video was much longer than it needed to be.

Not saying i could do any better, because i couldn't. I just don't think you should ignore the criticism that's been stated in this thread because you disagree with it, which is how it's coming across.

Stocke has received 2 thanks from: MiTT3NZ, Who Really Cares?
Stocke
Man Mo Acolyte
Man Mo Acolyte

Postby MiTT3NZ » Mon Dec 02, 2013 9:10 am

phpBB [video]

MiTT3NZ has received a thanks from: Rakim
MiTT3NZ
Class A Cunt
Shenmue III

XBL: Mittens2317
Steam: Mittens2317
Favorite title: Shenmue
Currently playing: Football Manager 2012

Postby south carmain » Mon Dec 02, 2013 10:12 am

south carmain wrote:

Great for them. I for once have yet to like a campaign on facebook but I still pledged for shadowrun, mighty no.9 and dreamfall.

so what you are saying is that your personal anecdotal evidence is proof that Shenmue is as popular as megaman despite the megaman campaign attracting 5 times more people and the megaman page having 10 times more likes than the shenmue page?
Also, how many likes does Project Eternity have on their facebook campaign... I seriously don't know... by your logic might be around 200 000.

stop with the strawman arguments.
south carmain
"Keep Friends"

Postby killthesagabeforeitkillsu » Mon Dec 02, 2013 3:16 pm

south carmain wrote:
south carmain wrote:

Great for them. I for once have yet to like a campaign on facebook but I still pledged for shadowrun, mighty no.9 and dreamfall.

so what you are saying is that your personal anecdotal evidence is proof that Shenmue is as popular as megaman despite the megaman campaign attracting 5 times more people and the megaman page having 10 times more likes than the shenmue page?
Also, how many likes does Project Eternity have on their facebook campaign... I seriously don't know... by your logic might be around 200 000.

I have to deal with enough keyboard warriors on another subjects, to be annoyed on something like this.
There's a chance of Yu Suzuki making a kickstarter campaign and I would support that. Easy and simple. I don't have to take a major degree on facebook likes to tell you that. It's a conceivable possibility and certainly better than waiting for money to fall from the skies during another decade.
For a community that is trying to take as many supporters as possible, I really don't see point of this drama.
killthesagabeforeitkillsu
Alpha Trading Boss
Alpha Trading Boss

Postby Who Really Cares? » Mon Dec 02, 2013 3:40 pm

As long as SEGA Own the IP Yu doing a kickstarter seems pointless.
Who Really Cares?
Shenmue III
Shenmue III

XBL: Baihu1983
Favorite title: Shenmue II
Currently playing: TitanFall

Postby south carmain » Mon Dec 02, 2013 3:47 pm

south carmain wrote:
south carmain wrote:

I have to deal with enough keyboard warriors on another subjects, to be annoyed on something like this.
There's a chance of Yu Suzuki making a kickstarter campaign and I would support that. Easy and simple. I don't have to take a major degree on facebook likes to tell you that. It's a conceivable possibility and certainly better than waiting for money to fall from the skies during another decade.
For a community that is trying to take as many supporters as possible, I really don't see point of this drama.

This is completely irrelevant, good for you if you will put down money, so will I, no one is saying that it won't amass any money at all. You claimed shenmue is on the same level of popularity as megaman which is completely false and I was originally discussing why I believe it's entirely possible that shenmue wouldn't reach the funds required and providing factors that make me believe so not the fact that you will provide some money in the event that it happens.

there is no drama here, I'm just having a discussion on a forum, you know that's what they are made for? I'm sorry if the subject makes you so emotional that you feel otherwise.

south carmain has received a thanks from: MiTT3NZ
south carmain
"Keep Friends"

Postby Messiah » Thu Dec 05, 2013 2:24 am

MiTT3NZ wrote: - There's been no actual news regarding Shenmue, y'know.

- Tone is hugely bias and condescending.

- You're making a lot of assumptions and trying to pass them off as "fact".

- "Shenmue's future only makes sense on PS4" only makes sense in Scenario B. Not A, C, D, E, F, G, and so on...

- Discussions/debates amongst fans will have so little impact on Shenmue III's release that it's cringe-worthy to suggest otherwise.

- A 36 minute video could've been easily reduced to a minute by saying "The Xbox brand isn't popular in Japan, Wii-U isn't popular full stop, therefore PS4/PSNStore (whatever) is the most logical option in terms of reaching a large audience".

- Shenmue II on the Xbox isn't shit compared to the DC version by any stretch of the imagination.

- $47mil wasn't the budget for Shenmue I. It was the budget for the costs of the entirety of the project/franchise.

- 90% of this video was going off on tangents which touch on things that have already been touched on more times than an altar boy at the Vatican rather than explaining your point.

- 30:26 to 30:28. Point made in two seconds. Video is 36:37...

- You miss several opportunities to make a much more compelling argument. For instance, the Xbox brand is heavily linked to FPS games and online gaming, whereas the PlayStation brand is renowned for "Action-Adventure" games. You could've even furthered the "big in Japan" argument by stating that PlayStation is associated with Japanese-based games too.

- I understand what you're trying to get at in this video, but you haven't made a compelling argument whatsoever. It would've made more sense to analyse each possible scenario that sees Shenmue return, and point out why Sony funding it as a PlayStation exclusive is the most likely.

- Either way you look at this video though, it's poorly titled. "Only Makes Sense" should be changed to "Makes Most Sense".

- Shave.

OMG Thank you for the summary I watched the first 5 minutes and learnt absolutely nothing. I can't believe someone can talk for 5 minutes and say nothing. For anyone who wants to rebuke this point please explain what he said for the first 5 minutes, jeez.
Messiah
Dojo Ghost
Master of the Three Blades

Postby AdamKoralik » Thu Dec 05, 2013 5:02 am

Sorry you didn't like my video. Don't know what else to say to you.
AdamKoralik

Postby Latin King » Thu Dec 05, 2013 7:01 am

The stuff that's been happening with Shenmue recently is news to most people. Not everyone dwells on these forums like us.

MiTT3NZ wrote: - Tone is hugely bias and condescending.

I agree his tone came off a bit condescending, but he explained that that is not his intention. I think he's really just trying to get his point across in the most clear way possible.

MiTT3NZ wrote: - You're making a lot of assumptions and trying to pass them off as "fact".

I didn't get the impression that he was trying to pass them off as facts, I think he just believes that what he's saying is very likely to be true.

MiTT3NZ wrote: - "Shenmue's future only makes sense on PS4" only makes sense in Scenario B. Not A, C, D, E, F, G, and so on...

What are these other scenarios?

MiTT3NZ wrote: - Discussions/debates amongst fans will have so little impact on Shenmue III's release that it's cringe-worthy to suggest otherwise.

It could have somewhat of an impact. Never say never ;-)

MiTT3NZ wrote: - A 36 minute video could've been easily reduced to a minute by saying "The Xbox brand isn't popular in Japan, Wii-U isn't popular full stop, therefore PS4/PSNStore (whatever) is the most logical option in terms of reaching a large audience".

I agree it was lengthy, but if he had reduced it to just a minute what would have been the point of having a video at all? He was trying to promote a discussion and throw some ideas out there.

MiTT3NZ wrote: - Shenmue II on the Xbox isn't shit compared to the DC version by any stretch of the imagination.

I guess, but this is just an opinion. I own both versions and enjoy them both just fine.

MiTT3NZ wrote: - $47mil wasn't the budget for Shenmue I. It was the budget for the costs of the entirety of the project/franchise.

Simple mistake. He could probably just clear this up with an annotation in the video or something.

MiTT3NZ wrote: - 90% of this video was going off on tangents which touch on things that have already been touched on more times than an altar boy at the Vatican rather than explaining your point.

This is true, but he does this in a lot of his videos so it's to be expected.

MiTT3NZ wrote: - 30:26 to 30:28. Point made in two seconds. Video is 36:37...

His point was to explain why the PS4 makes the most sense compared to the other two consoles, in that two second segment he only said the PS4 is successful in every region, he said nothing of the Wii U or Xbox One.

MiTT3NZ wrote: - You miss several opportunities to make a much more compelling argument. For instance, the Xbox brand is heavily linked to FPS games and online gaming, whereas the PlayStation brand is renowned for "Action-Adventure" games. You could've even furthered the "big in Japan" argument by stating that PlayStation is associated with Japanese-based games too.

I guess he could have brought these points up, but there are a lot of points he could have made. Then the video would have been even longer.

MiTT3NZ wrote: - I understand what you're trying to get at in this video, but you haven't made a compelling argument whatsoever. It would've made more sense to analyse each possible scenario that sees Shenmue return, and point out why Sony funding it as a PlayStation exclusive is the most likely.

I somewhat agree here, it would have been interesting for him to explain other scenarios.

MiTT3NZ wrote: - Either way you look at this video though, it's poorly titled. "Only Makes Sense" should be changed to "Makes Most Sense".

Agreed. "Makes the most sense" would have been better and come off as less biased.

MiTT3NZ wrote: - Shave.

Why does this even matter? lol
Latin King
West Coast

Postby ShenSun » Thu Dec 05, 2013 8:04 am

I personally like Adam's videos. While they can be lengthy, I enjoy how he breaks down every component into it's basic form, and then brings it all back together again.

As others have said, I'm sure there are other scenarios. But realistically, the Sony/PS4 path is the most logical.

Just my two cents
ShenSun
Alpha Trading Boss
Alpha Trading Boss

Postby MiTT3NZ » Thu Dec 05, 2013 8:21 am

Latin King wrote:

The stuff that's been happening with Shenmue recently is news to most people. Not everyone dwells on these forums like us.

What news has there been?

Latin King wrote:
MiTT3NZ wrote: - Tone is hugely bias and condescending.

I agree his tone came off a bit condescending, but he explained that that is not his intention. I think he's really just trying to get his point across in the most clear way possible.

By saying that people are "willing to learn"? As if he's Jesus telling the jews that their religious beliefs need tweaking and that anyone who still refuses to believe are retarded? And by this logic, I can say "I'm not being an arsehole, but your missus' face looks like she got stuck in a washing machine with an assortment of knives", and get away with it because I said "I'm not being an arsehole".

Latin King wrote:
MiTT3NZ wrote: - You're making a lot of assumptions and trying to pass them off as "fact".

I didn't get the impression that he was trying to pass them off as facts, I think he just believes that what he's saying is very likely to be true.

No, he outright said that they're facts.

Latin King wrote:
MiTT3NZ wrote: - "Shenmue's future only makes sense on PS4" only makes sense in Scenario B. Not A, C, D, E, F, G, and so on...

What are these other scenarios?

- Yu makes serious moves to find investors to fund development, works out a deal with SEGA so they only cover publishing costs.
- Crowdfunding for early development stages, then go to SEGA for the rest.
- SEGA feeling "the time is right".
- In-house or third party developer pitching a reboot to SEGA.
- SEGA asking for funds from Sony, Nintendo, MS, and Steam (or anyone who wants Shenmue)

That's just a small number of em, and are over-simplified at that. Many things can happen. Hell, they could go under in a few years and have to auction off their IPs like THQ.

Latin King wrote:
MiTT3NZ wrote: - Discussions/debates amongst fans will have so little impact on Shenmue III's release that it's cringe-worthy to suggest otherwise.

It could have somewhat of an impact. Never say never ;-)

Latin King wrote:
MiTT3NZ wrote: - A 36 minute video could've been easily reduced to a minute by saying "The Xbox brand isn't popular in Japan, Wii-U isn't popular full stop, therefore PS4/PSNStore (whatever) is the most logical option in terms of reaching a large audience".

I agree it was lengthy, but if he had reduced it to just a minute what would have been the point of having a video at all? He was trying to promote a discussion and throw some ideas out there.

No, he was dismissing ideas and telling everyone that only one idea is allowed, and any other ideas are stupid and flat-out wrong. Could've been five minutes, could've been ten, but thirty six is overkill, especially considering how little he talked about the topic at hand.

Latin King wrote:
MiTT3NZ wrote: - Shenmue II on the Xbox isn't shit compared to the DC version by any stretch of the imagination.

I guess, but this is just an opinion. I own both versions and enjoy them both just fine.

He didn't claim it to be opinion, he insinuated that it was fact.

Latin King wrote:
MiTT3NZ wrote: - $47mil wasn't the budget for Shenmue I. It was the budget for the costs of the entirety of the project/franchise.

Simple mistake. He could probably just clear this up with an annotation in the video or something.

Just pointing out how so many of his "facts" were wrong, thus discrediting what he obviously deems gospel.

Latin King wrote:
MiTT3NZ wrote: - 90% of this video was going off on tangents which touch on things that have already been touched on more times than an altar boy at the Vatican rather than explaining your point.

This is true, but he does this in a lot of his videos so it's to be expected.

Thank fuck I haven't watched them then.

Latin King wrote:
MiTT3NZ wrote: - 30:26 to 30:28. Point made in two seconds. Video is 36:37...

His point was to explain why the PS4 makes the most sense compared to the other two consoles, in that two second segment he only said the PS4 is successful in every region, he said nothing of the Wii U or Xbox One.

Okay then, add an extra second or two n say "Wii-U and Xbox One aren't".

Latin King wrote:
MiTT3NZ wrote: - You miss several opportunities to make a much more compelling argument. For instance, the Xbox brand is heavily linked to FPS games and online gaming, whereas the PlayStation brand is renowned for "Action-Adventure" games. You could've even furthered the "big in Japan" argument by stating that PlayStation is associated with Japanese-based games too.

I guess he could have brought these points up, but there are a lot of points he could have made. Then the video would have been even longer.

The point is, it could've been condensed, actually thought through, and made the argument the video was intended to make, as opposed to rambling on about how Shenmue won't appear on an Atari console and that the franchise was poorly handled.

Latin King wrote:
MiTT3NZ wrote: - I understand what you're trying to get at in this video, but you haven't made a compelling argument whatsoever. It would've made more sense to analyse each possible scenario that sees Shenmue return, and point out why Sony funding it as a PlayStation exclusive is the most likely.

I somewhat agree here, it would have been interesting for him to explain other scenarios.

Exactly.

Latin King wrote:
MiTT3NZ wrote: - Either way you look at this video though, it's poorly titled. "Only Makes Sense" should be changed to "Makes Most Sense".

Agreed. "Makes the most sense" would have been better and come off as less biased.

And again.

Latin King wrote:
MiTT3NZ wrote: - Shave.

Why does this even matter? lol

Wanted to end it on a light note.
MiTT3NZ
Class A Cunt
Shenmue III

XBL: Mittens2317
Steam: Mittens2317
Currently playing: Football Manager 2012

Postby Latin King » Fri Dec 06, 2013 2:24 am

MiTT3NZ wrote:What news has there been?

Shenmue being on Sony's list of games, Sony Magazine's poll, and stuff like that. Sure, it's not news directly related to the development of a Shenmue game, but it's new information regarding events that have happened involving the Shenmue name. That can be considered news for Shenmue fans since we never get news anyways.

MiTT3NZ wrote:By saying that people are "willing to learn"? As if he's Jesus telling the jews that their religious beliefs need tweaking and that anyone who still refuses to believe are retarded? And by this logic, I can say "I'm not being an arsehole, but your missus' face looks like she got stuck in a washing machine with an assortment of knives", and get away with it because I said "I'm not being an arsehole".

He never straight up insulted anyone, at least that's not the impression I got. He said people are "willing to learn" because honestly not every person is aware of the things he's trying to explain in the video. I think you're making it a bigger deal than it really is.

MiTT3NZ wrote:No, he outright said that they're facts.

What did he say were facts?

MiTT3NZ wrote:- Yu makes serious moves to find investors to fund development, works out a deal with SEGA so they only cover publishing costs.
- Crowdfunding for early development stages, then go to SEGA for the rest.
- SEGA feeling "the time is right".
- In-house or third party developer pitching a reboot to SEGA.
- SEGA asking for funds from Sony, Nintendo, MS, and Steam (or anyone who wants Shenmue)

That's just a small number of em, and are over-simplified at that. Many things can happen. Hell, they could go under in a few years and have to auction off their IPs like THQ.

These are some interesting scenarios, but I think he wanted to focus on something that's happening right now. Right now, it seems Sony may have an interest in acquiring Shenmue, thus being the most relevant scenario to discuss in the video. But I do somewhat agree, he could have brought up one or two other scenarios.

MiTT3NZ wrote:...

You seem... bitter.

MiTT3NZ wrote:No, he was dismissing ideas and telling everyone that only one idea is allowed, and any other ideas are stupid and flat-out wrong. Could've been five minutes, could've been ten, but thirty six is overkill, especially considering how little he talked about the topic at hand.

Honestly, he does come off very strongly. But, I truly believe he just wants what's the best for the series. And in his mind, the best, most logical option would be the PS4. He said it himself, if were truly up to him he would put it on the DC.

MiTT3NZ wrote:He didn't claim it to be opinion, he insinuated that it was fact.

I mean, at least he explained why he believes it to be superior. He brought up the transferring of saves and better voice acting. But he could have said it was opinion only.

MiTT3NZ wrote:Just pointing out how so many of his "facts" were wrong, thus discrediting what he obviously deems gospel.

Again, I think you're really exaggerating. He just has a strong tone and is very emphatic, I don't think he deems anything he said to be "gospel".

MiTT3NZ wrote:Thank fuck I haven't watched them then.

Each to their own. I was just explaining that that's his style.

MiTT3NZ wrote:Okay then, add an extra second or two n say "Wii-U and Xbox One aren't".

I mean, I guess? But what would honestly be the point of a 4 second video? lol

MiTT3NZ wrote:The point is, it could've been condensed, actually thought through, and made the argument the video was intended to make, as opposed to rambling on about how Shenmue won't appear on an Atari console and that the franchise was poorly handled.

Yes, it could have been condensed. But didn't you also say he could've discussed more scenarios, thus making the video longer? I feel like we're going in circles here.

MiTT3NZ wrote:Exactly.

Glad we could agree on something.

MiTT3NZ wrote:And again.

And here again, lol.

MiTT3NZ wrote:Wanted to end it on a light note.

Fair enough.
Latin King
West Coast

Postby LishaoGPK » Fri Dec 06, 2013 8:29 am

After the Dreamcast finished... SEGA put out some great games onto the old Xbox, with the masterpiece OutRun2 (and it's sequel, Coast2Coast, both with net-play), Otogi series, Panzer Dragoon Orta, and of course, the English language dub of Shenmue II. Then going into this gen, they made VF5 online only on 360, thus enabling many new players to experience it globally, and then the next release (Final Showdown) is generally accepted to still work better on Xbox (less laggy, more stable). Bayonetta also worked much better on Microsoft's console, as it was developed for it.
They have also put out some great and exclusive games on Nintendo systems over the last ten years. Indeed, the Bayonetta sequel (which looks amazing) is already only for Wii U.
So... don't be so sure any new Shenmue instalments would be locked to PS4 ;) The precedent is clearly there post Dreamcast that the company is truly multi-platform.

Shenmue is not, and never was, just one man (even though it may emanate from his vision). It entails many staff, programmers, artists and licensing rights. Sony in Japan the last few years have fired more teams than they hired. Microsoft on the other hand can throw as much money as they want at projects, and to a lesser extent, so could Nintendo. The future for great Japanese game development is not really clear at all at this stage. :-k
LishaoGPK
Fuku-san
Fuku-san

XBL: Lishao Tao GPK
Currently playing: VF5 Final Showdown

PreviousNext

Return to Shenmue III