Why Shenmue's Future Only Makes Sense on PS4.

(Chapter 7 and beyond)

Re: Why Shenmue's Future Only Makes Sense on PS4.

Postby south carmain » Sun Dec 01, 2013 8:17 am

mue 26 wrote:
south carmain wrote:
there's absolutely no guarantee of that, I don't see why people who couldn't be bothered to sign a petition that takes no registration would suddenly come out of no where and give money to make the 3rd possibly happen. Sure the latter has a higher possibility of succeeding but I doubt these people care enough to follow shenmue news and donate if it did happen.

let's not forget that a lot of people that signed the petition are now also grown up, have families and couldn't care less about video games at all let alone shenmue.

There's a lot of factors that make me believe that it is entirely possible that the kickstarter won't reach the amount of funds required to make it happen and really not that many that would make me believe that it's a sure thing. personally I believe we have a much better chance of getting it if it is privately funded by a major gaming company

There is no guarantee of anything in life, but this is Shenmue. 3. we are talking about. If Yu Suzuki announced an actual legitimate kickstarter for it, the fucking internet would explode, or at least the gaming side of it would. Can you not imagine it? Everyone would be like "for reals?!" and it would be front page news of every website, every forum unlike any kickstarter project we have ever seen. And I still think that more people would contribute to it than have contributed to any campaign. Many people believe online petitions do fuck all, and having personally started up many a TeamYu thread on many a forum, I have to spoken to countless self confessed Shenmue fans who admitted to me that they flat out don't believe in fan campaigns and won't participate. A Kickstarter would activate these people as well as the other dormant fans who gave up on Shenmue 3, like nothing else would. To be honest, I think it's got to the point where people who aren't even Shenmue fans would contribute to the kickstarter, that's how mythical Shenmue 3 has become over the last decade.

Look how much projects like that sort of generic sounding RPG being made by that Australian guy could make. Shenmue would top that no problem. I'm not saying that that is enough for a fully fledged Shenmue 3, but it could and would generate a lot.

I think you're being way too optimistic. the shenmue series is still not that well known especially amongst today's gamers. And it's impossible that the fanbase goes above the 200k that shenmue 2 sold which counts the Japanese market that doesn't have the reputation of being very active and the majority probably don't even speak English for that matter.

Be honest, do you think these countless fans who can't even be bothered to sign a petition that takes 10 seconds but would somehow put down money are even more than a hundred? and how would these people who don't care about video games even know there is a kickstarter about shenmue 3 or give money towards something they no longer care about.

And the fact that this is shenmue 3 is the precise reason why I think it would have difficulty amassing the necessary fund
1. it requires a lot more money than the rpg/strategy games commonly advertised on kickstarter
2. no one really wants shenmue 3 or a game like it except it's fans which aren't that many
(games like shadowrun have the advantage of appealing to the craved cyberpunk fanbase and people who like the genre in general while shenmue appeals more to an already saturated market)
3. so far the levels of hype haven't even come close to pre 2005 levels whenever there was a notable rumour of shenmue 3 possibly being made as seen here http://www.google.co.uk/trends/explore? ... 203&cmpt=q if there are that many people wanting it then it's to be expected that they would at least be googling for news when Yu suzuki said he thought SEGA would let him make it
south carmain
Comrade of the motherland
"Keep Friends"

Favorite title: Shenmue IIx
Currently playing: okami hd

Postby mue 26 » Sun Dec 01, 2013 8:49 am

Be honest, do you think these countless fans who can't even be bothered to sign a petition that takes 10 seconds but would somehow put down money are even more than a hundred?

I do.

and how would these people who don't care about video games even know there is a kickstarter about shenmue 3 or give money towards something they no longer care about.

Because the internet would explode. There is a world of difference between some fan made online petition and Yu Suzuki starting an official kickstarter. There would hardly be one gaming forum or news site not buzzing with that news. Online petitions don't tend to excite people in the same way.

1. it requires a lot more money than the rpg/strategy games commonly advertised on kickstarter

I agree, but if supplemented with other sources of funding it would help. I have little doubt a Shenmue kickstarter would AT LEAST generate over a million dollars. But we will never know how much more it could generate until it's actually tried

so far the levels of hype haven't even come close to pre 2005 levels whenever there was a notable rumour of shenmue 3 possibly being made as seen here http://www.google.co.uk/trends/explore? ... 203&cmpt=q if there are that many people wanting it then it's to be expected that they would at least be googling for news when Yu suzuki said he thought SEGA would let him make it

Fair enough, but again, if a kickstarter was announced, you would see the levels of hype go through the roof.
mue 26
Machine Gun Fist
Machine Gun Fist

Postby south carmain » Sun Dec 01, 2013 8:54 am

^but look at the google searches, there was barely any hype at all when it seemed there was a high possibility of shenmue 3 happening. why on earth would kickstarter magically make people who didn't even care at that time suddenly change their mind.

in fact there's even an event related to kickstarter shenmue 3 news in there and it barely made the searches raise at all
south carmain
"Keep Friends"

Postby south carmain » Sun Dec 01, 2013 9:01 am

On a related note it seems the most active people when it comes to shenmue searches are brits. step up yo game rest of the world

south carmain has received a thanks from: mue 26
south carmain
"Keep Friends"

Postby mue 26 » Sun Dec 01, 2013 9:11 am

That's quite funny, I wonder why Shenmue resonated with Britain so much? Yu Suzuki needs to stop going to fucking France and come to the nation that clearly loves Shenmue the most.
mue 26
Machine Gun Fist
Machine Gun Fist

Postby south carmain » Sun Dec 01, 2013 9:16 am

mue 26 wrote: That's quite funny, I wonder why Shenmue resonated with Britain so much? Yu Suzuki needs to stop going to fucking France and come to the nation that clearly loves Shenmue the most.

To be fair France are often second which is weird seeing the game was released exclusively in English in the whole of Europe. But yeah yu suzuki needs to stop ignoring us so that he can get drunk in the south of France, unless if it's because no one here has bothered to invite him to one of our video game events in which case then we need to stop ignoring him and show Yu suzuki our creepy obsession for him and his prized franchise
south carmain
"Keep Friends"

Postby mue 26 » Sun Dec 01, 2013 9:22 am

unless if it's because no one here has bothered to invite him to one of our video game events in which case then we need to stop ignoring him and show Yu suzuki our creepy obsession for him and his prized franchise

Someone needs to make it happen. I imagine it going down something like this

phpBB [video]
mue 26
Machine Gun Fist
Machine Gun Fist

Postby south carmain » Sun Dec 01, 2013 9:31 am

mue 26 wrote:
unless if it's because no one here has bothered to invite him to one of our video game events in which case then we need to stop ignoring him and show Yu suzuki our creepy obsession for him and his prized franchise

Someone needs to make it happen. I imagine it going down something like this

phpBB [video]

oh I'm sure alimn will find the money to fly here if it does happen :lol:
south carmain
"Keep Friends"

Postby mue 26 » Sun Dec 01, 2013 9:32 am

So mean, but I couldn't help :lol:
mue 26
Machine Gun Fist
Machine Gun Fist

Postby Stocke » Sun Dec 01, 2013 11:54 am

Clearly a lot of passion and effort went into making that video, along with all your others. You do a lot for the Shenmue community as well Adam which I'm sure everyone here is extremely grateful for.

But Mittenz and Who really cares do make good points, i think it's unfair to completely disregard their criticisms because you disagree with them.

Either way, it's nice to see some real positive attitudes again. Looking forward to your next video.
Stocke
Man Mo Acolyte
Man Mo Acolyte

Postby killthesagabeforeitkillsu » Sun Dec 01, 2013 12:22 pm

Shadowrun, Dreamfall, Wasteland, Broken Sword, Double Fine are not above Shenmue's level of popularity. Only Megaman/Mighty no.9 is around that. Yu would easily get 1.5-2.0M for the project, some might see a problem in this since the original one costed around 70M. But that's the price of independence.

Even if Sony acquires the Shenmue license, you can bet your balls they won't go over 10M for the game. These are the only 2 scenarios I see happening.
killthesagabeforeitkillsu
Alpha Trading Boss
Alpha Trading Boss

Postby south carmain » Sun Dec 01, 2013 12:36 pm

^But shenmue is hardly popular at all these days, can you provide any proof at all that shenmue would somehow perform better than those titles? Wasteland also didn't need to be popular since it branded itself as the godfather of the fallout series and fed on that.

and sorry to burst your bubble but megaman is more popular than Shenmue, as opposed to our campaigns they had no problem at all gathering more than the 100k likes they wanted for their bring back megaman legends 3 campaign.

Even if Sony acquires the Shenmue license, you can bet your balls they won't go over 10M for the game. These are the only 2 scenarios I see happening.

Though I'm not saying this is wrong however do you have anything at all to back this up or are you just going on an uneducated hunch?
south carmain
"Keep Friends"

Postby Who Really Cares? » Sun Dec 01, 2013 1:34 pm

Shenmue will always be a cult hit.

Release it digitally on as many consoles possible.

Its the best way now days and releasing just III this late on would be stupid.
Who Really Cares?
Shenmue III
Shenmue III

XBL: Baihu1983
Favorite title: Shenmue II
Currently playing: TitanFall

Postby AdamKoralik » Sun Dec 01, 2013 3:28 pm

Stocke wrote: Clearly a lot of passion and effort went into making that video, along with all your others. You do a lot for the Shenmue community as well Adam which I'm sure everyone here is extremely grateful for.

But Mittenz and Who really cares do make good points, i think it's unfair to completely disregard their criticisms because you disagree with them.

Either way, it's nice to see some real positive attitudes again. Looking forward to your next video.

First, I want to thank you for watching.

Second, I need you guys to try and understand me here.

The video is aimed at my 14,500+ subscribers first, and die hard Shenmue fans second. The channel is a mixture of game fans, only a small percentage of which are actually Shenmue fans. The video must be presented in a general way so as to make it clear to people who do not know much about the series. It is a given that Shenmue Dojo members will know more about the game and its history, and there fore find the video insulting at times. While I actually mention this in the video and apologize in advance for it, no one seems to have noticed that.

As also stated in the video, if I'm wrong, I'm open to hearing alternatives. I believe I mention this when I first talk about it not coming to PCs. Even if that wasn't clear, here I am flat out saying, I'm open to hearing pragmatic alternatives.

Only ONE person (a subscriber on my channel) has presented me with anything valid as an alternative.

What he suggested was the idea that a third party software company (in this case EA) team up with Sega to go multi-plat. It was an idea I never thought of, and I thought made sense. It's unorthodox, and not likely. But I was more than open to hearing it, even said as much in the comments. He didn't expand on it any further though.

Most arguments I get include statements like "fuck you, XBox One will be HUGE in Japan. Fag." Or "this guy is an idiot, it should be on PC" or "you're full of shit, Wii U is the best" and "video is too long, game should be multi-plat!"

Some have even simply suggested the most viable path to get the game made is to literally do nothing and give up. Yes, wonderful plan.

That is the typical kind of negative/opposing comment I deal with. No one explains their line of thinking, they simply proclaim what they want. Despite my attempts to carefully explain why I feel none of those can work, due to the history of the series and the industry.

Stating at the beginning there will be three type of reactions, is simply the truth. You yourselves would realize this if you do what I do. There will be people who agree with you, there will be people who will decide how they feel after they hear you, and there will be people who disagree with you, some far more harshly than others. The only purpose of explaining this in the video, ironically, was so people who know a lot of about the series wouldn't think I was being condescending, as I literally say in the video. Though it didn't stop people like Mittenz of accusing me of it anyway.

Not that you need to care, but I moderate comments on my channel (14,500+), another called GameSocietyPimps (110,000+ subscribers), BlameSocietyFilms (220,000+ subscribers), and even several Machinima videos (10,000,000+ subscribers).

What this means is that I have to deal with a plethora of hate from every direction, and I see a wide range of absurd statements. Welcome to the internet, what else can I say.

Perhaps I didn't say everything I could have in the best possible way, but who could? Has none of you ever made a statement that people misunderstood? How did that make you feel? Now open that up to thousands and thousands of people. Errors happen, sorry, I'm not perfect.

It is certainly your right to disagree with anything and everything I said, but I openly request that you present me with a valid alternative. Despite comments from some of you saying I'm labeling people, and not open to criticism and every other silly statement I've received, I am yet to hear any other viable paths (save for the one listed above). You may not like my idea, you may not like my presentation, or just dislike me, whatever it is. But dudes, at least I'm trying here. I really am.

Every theory kicked around has its holes, including the Kickstarter option. The one I've put forth simply has (as far as I can tell) the fewest of them. I've been very open about saying if the Wii U sales turn around, bam, that's an option. If Sega goes nuts and decides to make the game themselves, great it goes everywhere. If Microsoft does the unthinkable and becomes a massive hit in Japan, awesome that's an option. But none of those are here and now facts, while I don't even like the Playstation brand, the PS4 simply makes the most sense as far as I see it.

But forget that message, all that matters is to attack me personally.

AdamKoralik has received a thanks from: Giorgio
AdamKoralik
Master of the Three Blades
Master of the Three Blades

Favorite title: Shenmue II

Postby killthesagabeforeitkillsu » Sun Dec 01, 2013 8:44 pm

south carmain wrote: ^But shenmue is hardly popular at all these days, can you provide any proof at all that shenmue would somehow perform better than those titles? Wasteland also didn't need to be popular since it branded itself as the godfather of the fallout series and fed on that.

and sorry to burst your bubble but megaman is more popular than Shenmue, as opposed to our campaigns they had no problem at all gathering more than the 100k likes they wanted for their bring back megaman legends 3 campaign.

Though I'm not saying this is wrong however do you have anything at all to back this up or are you just going on an uneducated hunch?

Every cult game is hardly popular these days, including megaman and all the franchises I mentioned. What kind of proof did all of them have before starting their campaign? Well, surely not a "burst your bubble" attitude.
killthesagabeforeitkillsu
Alpha Trading Boss
Alpha Trading Boss

PreviousNext

Return to Shenmue III