Why Shenmue's Future Only Makes Sense on PS4.

(Chapter 7 and beyond)

Re: Why Shenmue's Future Only Makes Sense on PS4.

Postby killthesagabeforeitkillsu » Sat Nov 30, 2013 5:10 pm

Sony - Atlus - Sega relationship might give us Shenmue. I would love to have PSO2 and Shenmue on PS4.

But I also think there's a high probability of Yu Suzuki saying "fuck this shit" and do a kickstarter like Keiji Inafune. Then you would have the game on PC and other consoles
killthesagabeforeitkillsu
Alpha Trading Boss
Alpha Trading Boss

Postby south carmain » Sat Nov 30, 2013 5:47 pm

killthesagabeforeitkillsu wrote:But I also think there's a high probability of Yu Suzuki saying "fuck this shit" and do a kickstarter like Keiji Inafune. Then you would have the game on PC and other consoles

I'm less optimistic about SEGA giving yu free reign to do whatever he pleases with shenmue however in the even that happens I'm a little afraid that it wouldn't be able to raise the amount needed unless if he outsourced labour to Ukraine seeing how expensive it is to make video games these days. not saying it isn't possible just that I have a feeling that the Shenmue fanbase isn't as huge as many people seem to believe.

That said in today's market I guess it could be possible to bring in quite a few fresh funders, the ouya made it after all
south carmain
Comrade of the motherland
"Keep Friends"

Favorite title: Shenmue IIx
Currently playing: okami hd

Postby killthesagabeforeitkillsu » Sat Nov 30, 2013 6:13 pm

south carmain wrote:
killthesagabeforeitkillsu wrote:But I also think there's a high probability of Yu Suzuki saying "fuck this shit" and do a kickstarter like Keiji Inafune. Then you would have the game on PC and other consoles

I'm less optimistic about SEGA giving yu free reign to do whatever he pleases with shenmue however in the even that happens I'm a little afraid that it wouldn't be able to raise the amount needed unless if he outsourced labour to Ukraine seeing how expensive it is to make video games these days. not saying it isn't possible just that I have a feeling that the Shenmue fanbase isn't as huge as many people seem to believe.

That said in today's market I guess it could be possible to bring in quite a few fresh funders, the ouya made it after all

Shenmue's fanbase is more than big enough for a successful kickstarter campaign. I also think SEGA will not give Yu the license, he will be forced to make a spiritual remake of it and tell the story again from the start till the end.
killthesagabeforeitkillsu
Alpha Trading Boss
Alpha Trading Boss

Postby south carmain » Sat Nov 30, 2013 6:49 pm

killthesagabeforeitkillsu wrote:
south carmain wrote:

Shenmue's fanbase is more than big enough for a successful kickstarter campaign.

can you prove this in any way?
south carmain
"Keep Friends"

Postby mue 26 » Sat Nov 30, 2013 7:05 pm

Regardless of if it could fund a fully fledged Shenmue and to what level, I really do think a Shenmue kickstarter would be one of the (of not the) most successful to date. People would lose their nut if a Shenmue 3 kickstarter was announced.
mue 26
Machine Gun Fist
Machine Gun Fist

Postby south carmain » Sat Nov 30, 2013 7:11 pm

I still have doubts, the fact that we are a very organised and vocal group often gives the impression that we are more than we actually are.

take the biggest shenmue petition for example, it has 66k signatures and that's counting the people who signed multiple times. that's really not that much and how many of those would be willing to put down money and how much is also impossible to tell.
south carmain
"Keep Friends"

Postby mue 26 » Sat Nov 30, 2013 7:22 pm

But so many people who don't already participate would contribute if an actual legitimate S3 kickstarter got off the ground. Trust me, people would lose their minds.
mue 26
Machine Gun Fist
Machine Gun Fist

Postby ShenmueTree » Sat Nov 30, 2013 7:37 pm

I can't watch this video due to crap internet but I did watch another you did recently. I have a few things to say about that.

You said something along the lines of PC/Digital release of SIII and HD remakes would be unlikely because Sony would have to front the bill.

My argument, Sony currently has a fund to help indies build games, they pour in their money and their resources to help the games come to the PS platform. I believe these games are not exclusive to PS and came appear on PC. Sony would have to have a contract with Sega for Shenmue, and I think that if they would make such a deal with indies then surely they'd go so far as to allow Sega to release HD ports/a new game on PC as long as it remains console exclusive.

Also, Sega is making A LOT of money on PC titles currently. They'd probably insist for PC ports in order for a deal to even happen.

That's all.

- ST.
ShenmueTree
"After Burner...Great!"
"After Burner...Great!"

Postby south carmain » Sat Nov 30, 2013 7:37 pm

mue 26 wrote: But so many people who don't already participate would contribute if an actual legitimate S3 kickstarter got off the ground. Trust me, people would lose their minds.

there's absolutely no guarantee of that, I don't see why people who couldn't be bothered to sign a petition that takes no registration would suddenly come out of no where and give money to make the 3rd possibly happen. Sure the latter has a higher possibility of succeeding but I doubt these people care enough to follow shenmue news and donate if it did happen.

let's not forget that a lot of people that signed the petition are now also grown up, have families and couldn't care less about video games at all let alone shenmue.

There's a lot of factors that make me believe that it is entirely possible that the kickstarter won't reach the amount of funds required to make it happen and really not that many that would make me believe that it's a sure thing. personally I believe we have a much better chance of getting it if it is privately funded by a major gaming company
south carmain
"Keep Friends"

Postby AdamKoralik » Sat Nov 30, 2013 8:03 pm

ShenmueTree wrote: I can't watch this video due to crap internet but I did watch another you did recently. I have a few things to say about that.

You said something along the lines of PC/Digital release of SIII and HD remakes would be unlikely because Sony would have to front the bill.

My argument, Sony currently has a fund to help indies build games, they pour in their money and their resources to help the games come to the PS platform. I believe these games are not exclusive to PS and came appear on PC. Sony would have to have a contract with Sega for Shenmue, and I think that if they would make such a deal with indies then surely they'd go so far as to allow Sega to release HD ports/a new game on PC as long as it remains console exclusive.

Also, Sega is making A LOT of money on PC titles currently. They'd probably insist for PC ports in order for a deal to even happen.

That's all.

- ST.

I'm all in favor of it getting to the PC, don't get me wrong.

I just can't see Sony being willing to fund their competition. Doesn't make sense to me.
AdamKoralik
Master of the Three Blades

Favorite title: Shenmue II

Postby ShenmueTree » Sat Nov 30, 2013 8:20 pm

AdamKoralik wrote:
ShenmueTree wrote: I can't watch this video due to crap internet but I did watch another you did recently. I have a few things to say about that.

That's all.

- ST.

I'm all in favor of it getting to the PC, don't get me wrong.

I just can't see Sony being willing to fund their competition. Doesn't make sense to me.

But they already do it with indie games, so a big publisher like Sega shouldn't have a problem getting Sony to comply. S'all I'm saying. ;).

And if I'm wrong.. well, it's per usual, so no foul. :D
ShenmueTree
"After Burner...Great!"
"After Burner...Great!"

Postby AdamKoralik » Sat Nov 30, 2013 8:41 pm

Indie titles don't usually involve the kind of money I'm sure Shenmue would. But, who knows.
AdamKoralik

Postby mue 26 » Sat Nov 30, 2013 10:12 pm

south carmain wrote:
there's absolutely no guarantee of that, I don't see why people who couldn't be bothered to sign a petition that takes no registration would suddenly come out of no where and give money to make the 3rd possibly happen. Sure the latter has a higher possibility of succeeding but I doubt these people care enough to follow shenmue news and donate if it did happen.

let's not forget that a lot of people that signed the petition are now also grown up, have families and couldn't care less about video games at all let alone shenmue.

There's a lot of factors that make me believe that it is entirely possible that the kickstarter won't reach the amount of funds required to make it happen and really not that many that would make me believe that it's a sure thing. personally I believe we have a much better chance of getting it if it is privately funded by a major gaming company

There is no guarantee of anything in life, but this is Shenmue. 3. we are talking about. If Yu Suzuki announced an actual legitimate kickstarter for it, the fucking internet would explode, or at least the gaming side of it would. Can you not imagine it? Everyone would be like "for reals?!" and it would be front page news of every website, every forum unlike any kickstarter project we have ever seen. And I still think that more people would contribute to it than have contributed to any campaign. Many people believe online petitions do fuck all, and having personally started up many a TeamYu thread on many a forum, I have to spoken to countless self confessed Shenmue fans who admitted to me that they flat out don't believe in fan campaigns and won't participate. A Kickstarter would activate these people as well as the other dormant fans who gave up on Shenmue 3, like nothing else would. To be honest, I think it's got to the point where people who aren't even Shenmue fans would contribute to the kickstarter, that's how mythical Shenmue 3 has become over the last decade.

Look how much projects like that sort of generic sounding RPG being made by that Australian guy could make. Shenmue would top that no problem. I'm not saying that that is enough for a fully fledged Shenmue 3, but it could and would generate a lot.

mue 26 has received a thanks from: Axm
mue 26
Machine Gun Fist
Machine Gun Fist

Postby SledgeNE » Sun Dec 01, 2013 4:01 am

I can't to accomplish any new console. Worrily. But i WILL buy a copy of Shenmue III for PS4 or any other. Indifferent on which console or hardware.
SledgeNE

Currently playing: Preparing for Shenmue III

Postby Who Really Cares? » Sun Dec 01, 2013 4:42 am

Sorry stopped watching when you started labelling people.

Group A = people who agree with me = awesome

Group B = dumb people who need the facts. Facts on a series that is still to this day dead.

Group C = anyone who has a counter argument to me = dicks.

Who Really Cares? has received a thanks from: MiTT3NZ
Who Really Cares?
Shenmue III
Shenmue III

XBL: Baihu1983
Currently playing: TitanFall

PreviousNext

Return to Shenmue III