Blog: What if Shenmue was exclusive to XBox One

(Chapter 7 and beyond)

Re: Blog: What if Shenmue was exclusive to XBox One

Postby Yama » Wed Dec 04, 2013 2:52 pm

At the moment Sony makes the most sense given the apparent interest level, however time will tell just how serious they are. With that said, there are two sides to every suggested angle. Discounting Microsoft due to a lack of presence in Japan could be just the opposite of the truth. Acquiring Shenmue could help spark sales and thus would be a sensible acquisition. Time has shown through timed Namco Bandai exclusives that it may not be enough (especially Shenmue), though a new generation equates to a new uphill battle in regards to IP's. Microsoft has shown they're not afraid to resurrect dead series, K.I. and Dead Rising being recent examples (yes Dead Rising was defunct despite being fairly new).
Yama
Shenmue Dojo Owner
Shenmue Dojo Owner

PSN: YamaMX
Favorite title: Shenmue

Postby AdamKoralik » Wed Dec 04, 2013 2:53 pm

Who Really Cares? wrote: Phil Spencer on it.

https://twitter.com/XboxP3/status/408294009618984960

While I find it highly unlikely, oh how I'd love to see a bidding war between Sony and Microsoft over who gets exclusive rights to Shenmue...
AdamKoralik
Master of the Three Blades

Favorite title: Shenmue II

Postby nskachu » Wed Dec 04, 2013 2:56 pm

What's his position? Does he have any remarkable influence? If yes, then... Wow!
nskachu
Man Mo Acolyte
Man Mo Acolyte

Favorite title: What's Shenmue
Currently playing: with feelings

Postby AdamKoralik » Wed Dec 04, 2013 3:01 pm

Yama wrote: At the moment Sony makes the most sense given the apparent interest level, however time will tell just how serious they are. With that said, there are two sides to every suggested angle. Discounting Microsoft due to a lack of presence in Japan could be just the opposite of the truth. Acquiring Shenmue could help spark sales and thus would be a sensible acquisition. Time has shown through timed Namco Bandai exclusives that it may not be enough (especially Shenmue), though a new generation equates to a new uphill battle in regards to IP's. Microsoft has shown they're not afraid to resurrect dead series, K.I. and Dead Rising being recent examples (yes Dead Rising was defunct despite being fairly new).

To be fair, I believe they own Killer Instinct as part of the ownership of Rare. I could be wrong about this.

I'd love to see the XBox One succeed in Japan, I'd love to play Shenmue on it. I just don't see that happening.

Microsoft tried, and failed, twice now with that same strategy. They made plenty of Japanese oriented exclusives for the XBox and XBox 360 we never saw in the west, and yet the numbers are what they are.

However, I will grant this. After Microsoft's horrendous summer with the XBox One announcement and DRM and all that, they're in a position of desperation to appease gamers. Perhaps this would be part of that.

But, really, it's just that issue of the console working in Japan that kills its chances. At least that's how I see it.
AdamKoralik

Postby Ziming » Wed Dec 04, 2013 3:01 pm

nskachu wrote:

What's his position? Does he have any remarkable influence? If yes, then... Wow!

Microsoft Game Studios Chief/Vice President, you might remember him from E3.

Ziming has received a thanks from: nskachu
Ziming
Banned
Banned

Postby Who Really Cares? » Wed Dec 04, 2013 3:03 pm

nskachu wrote:

http://uk.ign.com/stars/phil-spencer

Who Really Cares? has received a thanks from: nskachu
Who Really Cares?
Shenmue III
Shenmue III

XBL: Baihu1983
Currently playing: TitanFall

Postby nskachu » Wed Dec 04, 2013 3:09 pm

Mamamia! Isn't this the something we could take serious? That is some amazing news, right? Or is it just a common statement (he said it is stillt segas ip).
nskachu
Man Mo Acolyte
Man Mo Acolyte

Postby Let's Get Sweaty » Wed Dec 04, 2013 3:14 pm

Splendid, he's going to make a personal recommendation after one guy tweeted him... Sony, you sure it made it difficult for us!

Let's Get Sweaty has received 2 thanks from: Giorgio, Ziming
Let's Get Sweaty
Machine Gun Fist
Machine Gun Fist

Favorite title: Shenmue IIx
Currently playing: truant

Postby Who Really Cares? » Wed Dec 04, 2013 3:17 pm

nskachu wrote: Mamamia! Isn't this the something we could take serious? That is some amazing news, right? Or is it just a common statement (he said it is stillt segas ip).

Nah cause its not Sony ;-)

If more people ask he might have more reason to actually forward it. Of course its all down to SEGA and they haven't been that interested in years.
Who Really Cares?
Shenmue III
Shenmue III

Postby Axm » Wed Dec 04, 2013 3:25 pm

Yama wrote:At the moment Sony makes the most sense given the apparent interest level, however time will tell just how serious they are. With that said, there are two sides to every suggested angle. Discounting Microsoft due to a lack of presence in Japan could be just the opposite of the truth. Acquiring Shenmue could help spark sales and thus would be a sensible acquisition. Time has shown through timed Namco Bandai exclusives that it may not be enough (especially Shenmue), though a new generation equates to a new uphill battle in regards to IP's. Microsoft has shown they're not afraid to resurrect dead series, K.I. and Dead Rising being recent examples (yes Dead Rising was defunct despite being fairly new).

Given DR's previous sucess as an exculsive last go on 360 during launch and KI being a more western game anyways, yes those decisions to lock down/start up the IP for themselves makes perfect sense. But after the clear failure of Shenmue 2x last time around why would MS choose to double down on something with such a low chance of sucsess historically? Peter Moore was probably the only reason it came to Xbox to begin with. We have nobody like Peter Moore to do this for us again like he did, despite how bad a move it was to begin with.
Again not to say its impossible though, cause anything is. MS could try to defy logic with this and ignore the Japanese market they will never gain ground in and rely on the U.S and Europe for hopefull success.

Trust me I'd love it to just come out regardless of whatever system its on, but if the starting arguement for why MS would be better than Sony at reviving Shenmue and making it actually successful still stands in this thread then I will always disagree with that. Sure multiplatform is a great option and still very likely, but MS..so far they've only just been asked and now maybe just throwing it into the pile of fan requests if we're lucky. Meanwhile Sony is telling the world they hear us and actually want to do something about it.

Anyways I'm rambling now and Yama this is not entirely directed at you as if you don't already know these things. Most everyone on this forum realizes where we are at these days and the reality of the situation.
Axm
#SaveShenmueHD
News Poster

Postby Peter » Wed Dec 04, 2013 3:34 pm

Am I other only one in two pages of posts just read that article as one big pathetic stab at a "dead" franchise as he called it? Some of the words used were absolutely despicible!

To me, if anything, that was an extremely poor swing from a company who once owned the rights to Shenmue, who know they are going down and that they may have let something profitable slip to a rival company. Im sorry, Microsoft thank you so much for Shenmue 2x and for your recent interest in the series. But FUCK OFF RIGHT NOW for having no faith. FUCK OFF for trying nothing to promote it, and FUCK OFF for what seems like crawling back on your hands and knees with some independents Arti le when some actual decision making people at a rival company have shown some genuine interest in the future of Shenmue whiich has now demonstrated the absolute embodiment of the saying, "right place, right time".

In closing, sincerely thank you Microsoft for Shenmue IIx. But for your lack of faith in Yu Suzuki's brilliance......

FUCK OFF!!!
Peter
Shenmue Dojo Owner
Shenmue III

PSN: TheGasmeter
Currently playing: Shenmue 2x

Postby Who Really Cares? » Wed Dec 04, 2013 3:37 pm

Drunk?

Phil Spencer mentioned Shenmue because he was asked about it.

Also while they dropped the ball with IIX they did release a demo and advertised it in magazines they might do it right? Of course if it does come out as a digital title then that's TV advertising out the window. But then SEGA also did a poor job, remember those god awful ads? The Japanese ones for II are still wtf? Adverts.
Who Really Cares?
Shenmue III
Shenmue III

Postby Giorgio » Wed Dec 04, 2013 3:57 pm

Ladies and Gentlemen, Boys and Girls, Let's Get Ready to Shenmue Rumbleeeeeeeeeeeee!!!

Sony, from the one side, he's 6' 10'', 333 lbs, Japan, with quick strong fists. He's moto is "4 DA PLAYERS!!! GRAAAHH!"

Microsoft, from the other side, he's 6' 09, 330 lbs, America, with slow heavy fists. He's moto is "DRM APOLOGIZE! Hiigggh!"

They fight for one trophy, a talisman for tremendous boost of console sales. Theeeeeeeee.... SHENMUE!!!

*crowd noise*

ROUND 1!

FIGHT!
Giorgio
"After Burner...Great!"
"After Burner...Great!"

Favorite title: Shenmue
Currently playing: Yakuza series

Postby nskachu » Wed Dec 04, 2013 4:16 pm

Giorgio wrote: Ladies and Gentlemen, Boys and Girls, Let's Get Ready to Shenmue Rumbleeeeeeeeeeeee!!!

Sony, from the one side, he's 6' 10'', 333 lbs, Japan, with quick strong fists. He's moto is "4 DA PLAYERS!!! GRAAAHH!"

Microsoft, from the other side, he's 6' 09, 330 lbs, America, with slow heavy fists. He's moto is "DRM APOLOGIZE! Hiigggh!"

They fight for one trophy, a talisman for tremendous boost of console sales. Theeeeeeeee.... SHENMUE!!!

*crowd noise*

ROUND 1!

FIGHT!

:D This is more like: Sony-S Mocrosoft-m

M: Did you just look at my ex girlfriend?!
S: I don't know. She's a bit attractive and fame, but I haven't decided on whether I start something or not.
M: Oh, no problem. I forgot about her anyways...
nskachu
Man Mo Acolyte
Man Mo Acolyte

Postby Crimson Ryan » Wed Dec 04, 2013 4:25 pm

None of that article made the blindest bit of sense to me.

Shenmue iOs mini-games. You fucking what?

Crimson Ryan has received 2 thanks from: AdamKoralik, Axm
Crimson Ryan
Mac Tonight
Shenmue III

PreviousNext

Return to Shenmue III