david deville Interview with Yu suzuki

(Chapter 7 and beyond)

Re: david deville Interview with Yu suzuki

Postby Axm » Thu Nov 13, 2014 10:41 pm

Thanks for the great work. Loved the interview.
Axm
#SaveShenmueHD
News Poster

Postby SledgeNE » Mon Nov 17, 2014 12:57 pm

Thanks for this interview! It makes me happy when Yu Suzuki talks about Shenmue. It seems Suzuki has a "big thing" to show in Shenmue 3. But the main problem will be to re-release the first two Games. Or to bring them as a movie on a Blu-ray with the Sequel on one disc.
SledgeNE
Master of the Three Blades

Favorite title: Shenmue II
Currently playing: Preparing for Shenmue III

Postby Messiah » Fri Nov 21, 2014 5:30 am

Thank you for the awesome interview.

Kickstarter! Kickstarter! Kickstarter!
Messiah
Dojo Ghost

Postby JohnBlack » Fri Nov 21, 2014 11:56 am

Kickstarter! Kickstarter! Kickstarter!

I think there is no way to do it by kickstarter. Read all interviews, Yu Suzuki wants this game to be as good as possible. As far as i remember the biggest game funded was Torment with somewhere around ~5kk$. I cant even imagine shenmue 3 for this money. Average game title costs ~20kk$ now. And its just average. If you wanna do something really great you need at least 50kk.
JohnBlack

Postby MJC The Great » Sun Nov 23, 2014 1:25 pm

Wonderful interview and I'm so grateful we have people like this in our community. Did that sound cult-like? :lol:

Seriously though, I don't understand how Zimming could not be one of the four Chiyoumen leaders given that manga on the x-box edition of Shenmue II. Apologies as I don't know much about it but was that manga official/endorsed?

I still think there's a chance that master Baihu is one of the 4 leaders as his name translates as White Tiger. Could he be the guardian of the western territory?

At least we can now dismiss theory for the eighth image of the concept art shown during the GDC Shenmue postmortem as being of the Chiyoumen.

Lastly, with regard to the future of the series, what exactly do we, or does Suzuki-san need to do in order to present a realistic budget to SEGA?

Thanks again, best of luck! ~Mj~ ;-)
MJC The Great

Favorite title: Shenmue
Currently playing: Just Cause 2

Postby JMan » Mon Nov 24, 2014 6:48 pm

Just throwing this in here. Remember also back in 2011 the interview with JaponInfos.com where Suzuki said: "I think there are many interested investors, and I still have to deal with budget issues with Sega, who own the rights to the series. It is almost there ..." Looks like he's been working on this budget for a while.
JMan

Postby Ryuman » Mon Nov 24, 2014 7:42 pm

JMan wrote: Just throwing this in here. Remember also back in 2011 the interview with JaponInfos.com where Suzuki said: "I think there are many interested investors, and I still have to deal with budget issues with Sega, who own the rights to the series. It is almost there ..." Looks like he's been working on this budget for a while.

Yes, I also consider in my mind that due to the series needing 4 games, he must secure a budget for both 3 and 4 so that this situation does not happen again. I wonder if he actually could get the Shenmue 3 budget fairly easily, but 4 is causing problems. All speculation of course, but it's something that I wonder about.
Ryuman
Asia Travel Representative
Asia Travel Representative

Currently playing: KH 2.5

Postby JMan » Tue Nov 25, 2014 4:05 pm

You could be right. Also Suzuki developed Shenmue 1 and 2 at the same time so he could do the same with the 3rd and 4th games.

Also I believe with exception to the AM2 interview Suzuki has maintained up until 2010 that Shenmue 3 will be the last of the series and will accommodate all remaining chapters. Now he is adamant that the series will instead end at the 4th. To make such a change makes me wonder if he feels Shenmue 3 is more realistic to do so now he can afford to do another. I couldn't picture someone daring to fund for two sequels if the first sequel was almost an impossibility.
JMan

Postby MJC The Great » Tue Nov 25, 2014 7:14 pm

Another thing I meant to discuss in my previous post was how interesting it was to learn just a little more about the remaining two leaders of the Chiyoumen.

I tried Google-translating (I know, not a great idea haha) some of the Chinese characters 藍帝 (Lan Di/Rantei - east guardian - dragon), 炎帝 (Niao Sun/Entei - south guardian - phoenix), 昊帝 (???/Koutei - west guardian - tiger) and 玄帝 (???/Gentei - north guardian - tortoise).

帝 - Emperor. As it's used for all four characters, I guess it's not literally emperor but more like leader etc.
蒼 - Dark blue/dark green.
龍 - Dragon.
藍 - Blue.
炎 - Flame.
昊 - Clear summer sky??? Possibly means vast or white. Not sure about that one to be honest.
玄 - Mysterious or black.

Anyhow there it is. Thanks again!
MJC The Great

Currently playing: Just Cause 2

Previous

Return to Shenmue III