SHENMUE 3 ANNOUNCED FOR PS4 KICKSTARTER (INFORMATION INSIDE)

(Chapter 7 and beyond)

Re: SHENMUE 3 ANNOUNCED FOR PS4 KICKSTARTER (INFORMATION INS

Postby Peter » Tue Jun 16, 2015 11:49 am

Yukupo wrote: Second day after the announcement. Still so excited. :shock:

Second day after the announcment. Still no sleep! :lol:

Peter has received a thanks from: alexh86
Peter
Shenmue Dojo Owner
Shenmue III

PSN: TheGasmeter
Favorite title: Shenmue II
Currently playing: Shenmue 2x

Postby Yukupo » Tue Jun 16, 2015 11:51 am

Too afraid to sleep. Wouldn't want it all to be a dream! :D
Yukupo
Digital Artist
"After Burner...Great!"

Favorite title: Shenmue

Postby Peter » Tue Jun 16, 2015 11:52 am

Yea! Or miss any more forum hype! This wont last forever! But i am gonna force myself though this Nintendo Direct, then its lights out for sure.
Peter
Shenmue Dojo Owner
Shenmue III

PSN: TheGasmeter
Favorite title: Shenmue II
Currently playing: Shenmue 2x

Postby Hadoken Hazuki » Tue Jun 16, 2015 11:53 am

Quick question in light of the events of the last 14 hours.. That screen shot that leaked weeks ago, with the Jacket and the 3 leaves that alluded to Shenmue 3, was that definitely fake?

Yep, that was a fake. That rumour was alluding to Square Enix being involved with the development of the game, and a release in 2016. EDIT: Ah, you got there first, Shenmuedabest. :P

That's a very interesting point and something I have been thinking about...

However, for Sony to actually mention it and use up time during their E3 conference, do you not think they will also be contributing some funding towards the game?

I doubt it will purely be funded by fans alone, surely not?

My gut instinct was that Sony probably had an agreement with Yu Suzuki that they would only help fund the game if the $2 million KickStarter goal was achieved (almost as a measuring-stick to gauge the popularity / demand of such a game before their commit money towards it).... What do you think? I'm hoping it's not going to be solely fan-funded.

I'm definitely hoping that YS Net are getting their funding from other areas too. Today, a lot of AAA game production costs tend to be anywhere around $50 mil-$100 mil and beyond, so if it was solely being funded through Kickstarter, Shenmue III is not going to be the blockbuster epic that we are hoping for.

Good point about Sony perhaps using Kickstarter as a way to gauge Shenmue's popularity - but if YS Net have received company backing from Sony or another source, I would like to think that they could've come up with higher quality concept footage than what we saw.

I really want to get so hyped for this, I really do! I know a lot of people are believing this will be a huge killer-app title, but I can't help but fear that with a much smaller development team, a seemingly small budget in comparison to modern open world games and the fact that (as of the time of writing) the console version is planned for a digital only release, Shenmue III may be much lesser in scale than a lot of people are presuming. To put it in movie terms, it kinda feels to me like we may be getting a Straight-to-DVD film after the previous two instalments having a fully fledged theatrical release. I demand to be proven wrong though! :)
Hadoken Hazuki
Man Mo Acolyte
Man Mo Acolyte

Postby Luke_09 » Tue Jun 16, 2015 12:05 pm

Hadoken Hazuki wrote:
Quick question in light of the events of the last 14 hours.. That screen shot that leaked weeks ago, with the Jacket and the 3 leaves that alluded to Shenmue 3, was that definitely fake?

Yep, that was a fake. That rumour was alluding to Square Enix being involved with the development of the game, and a release in 2016. EDIT: Ah, you got there first, Shenmuedabest. :P

That's a very interesting point and something I have been thinking about...

However, for Sony to actually mention it and use up time during their E3 conference, do you not think they will also be contributing some funding towards the game?

I doubt it will purely be funded by fans alone, surely not?

My gut instinct was that Sony probably had an agreement with Yu Suzuki that they would only help fund the game if the $2 million KickStarter goal was achieved (almost as a measuring-stick to gauge the popularity / demand of such a game before their commit money towards it).... What do you think? I'm hoping it's not going to be solely fan-funded.

I'm definitely hoping that YS Net are getting their funding from other areas too. Today, a lot of AAA game production costs tend to be anywhere around $50 mil-$100 mil and beyond, so if it was solely being funded through Kickstarter, Shenmue III is not going to be the blockbuster epic that we are hoping for.

Good point about Sony perhaps using Kickstarter as a way to gauge Shenmue's popularity - but if YS Net have received company backing from Sony or another source, I would like to think that they could've come up with higher quality concept footage than what we saw.

I really want to get so hyped for this, I really do! I know a lot of people are believing this will be a huge killer-app title, but I can't help but fear that with a much smaller development team, a seemingly small budget in comparison to modern open world games and the fact that (as of the time of writing) the console version is planned for a digital only release, Shenmue III may be much lesser in scale than a lot of people are presuming. To put it in movie terms, it kinda feels to me like we may be getting a Straight-to-DVD film after the previous two instalments having a fully fledged theatrical release. I demand to be proven wrong though! :)

Yes I do see what you mean now!

Fingers crossed that Yu Suzuki does have other interested parties that are willing to donate money to this amazing project. I really hope he does have funding from Sony or elsewhere, because Shenmue 3 deserves to be a AAA title; it's such an epic tale. Yu deserves to have all the money he needs in order to fully realise his vision for the game.

You never know, once Sony see how popular Shenmue 3 is on KickStarter, it might encourage them to invest some money into the development? Fingers crossed... Either way, I just think it's amazing that we can even have this discussion!! Who would have thought we would even be discussing this?!?! Just insane..
Luke_09
Funny Bear Burger Clerk
Funny Bear Burger Clerk

Favorite title: Shenmue IIx

Postby Lan Di-sama » Tue Jun 16, 2015 12:21 pm

The ps4 version isn't necessarily console-only, but the kickstarted reward is. At least that's how I interpreted it.
Lan Di-sama
Machine Gun Fist
Machine Gun Fist

Postby Jeff » Tue Jun 16, 2015 12:24 pm

I had to take Bonine tablets I take for vertigo to fall asleep last night because I was so pumped. Makes me sleepy. Going to see the Mets play tonight too.
Jeff
"Keep Friends"
"Keep Friends"

PSN: jgk1020
XBL: jgkny
Currently playing: Halo Master Chief Col

Postby Snoopbob2006 » Tue Jun 16, 2015 12:27 pm

-What a day! I live with B_ren and thats the first time time he has ever knocked on my door at like 7am! Soo happy. Donated $510 as I have never stopped loving this series since day 1. Looking forward to all news and obviously playing it in a couple of years!!
Snoopbob2006
"After Burner...Great!"
"After Burner...Great!"

PSN: Snoopbob2005
XBL: Snoopbob2005

Postby Hadoken Hazuki » Tue Jun 16, 2015 12:28 pm

Yes I do see what you mean now!

Fingers crossed that Yu Suzuki does have other interested parties that are willing to donate money to this amazing project. I really hope he does have funding from Sony or elsewhere, because Shenmue 3 deserves to be a AAA title; it's such an epic tale. Yu deserves to have all the money he needs in order to fully realise his vision for the game.

You never know, once Sony see how popular Shenmue 3 is on KickStarter, it might encourage them to invest some money into the development? Fingers crossed... Either way, I just think it's amazing that we can even have this discussion!! Who would have thought we would even be discussing this?!?! Just insane..

You're right - the fact that an official endeavour to make Shenmue III has begun is astonishing enough! I just hope that after the wave of collective euphoria has died down, we can all look at the big picture and be slightly more analytical about the kind of game this will be, from a budget/realistic standpoint.

Again, not trying to be a killjoy. Awesome to see that Shenmue is coming back, and I truly hope that Yu Suzuki's notion of a "full-on Shenmue experience" as he calls it is realized . :)
Hadoken Hazuki
Man Mo Acolyte
Man Mo Acolyte

Postby Takumi » Tue Jun 16, 2015 1:10 pm

I had a mini panic attack when I heard the news, then promptly donated $500. It's awesome to see so many familiar names back in the forums. :)
Takumi
Tomato Store Employee
Man Mo Acolyte

Steam: xilezor
Currently playing: Shenmue I PAL

Postby Tim Surway » Tue Jun 16, 2015 1:46 pm

Wow, just wow. Haven't posted here in about 10 years but always lived in hope. Just pledged $300.

Tim Surway has received a thanks from: Lan Di-sama
Tim Surway
Man Mo Acolyte
Man Mo Acolyte

Postby Samanosuke Akechi » Tue Jun 16, 2015 1:53 pm

Wonder how they were able to keep such a tight lid on this.Regardless,I couldn't believe my eyes when I saw the announcement while browsing Reddit. We did it! \:D/ \:D/ \:D/
Samanosuke Akechi
"Keep Friends"
"Keep Friends"

Postby OL » Tue Jun 16, 2015 2:15 pm

Probably not so hard to keep it secret, since they technically didn't announce the development of the game (which would have implied that hundreds of people had been working on the project for a reasonable amount of time), but rather just the desire to get it funded.
All that's gone on so far is the contacting and signing of key people on the dev team plus whatever financial deals have been struck. Not hard to keep a lid on that stuff, I'd think.

OL has received a thanks from: MiTT3NZ
OL
Yo jes hummilated yoursef
Shenmue III

Postby Sonoshee » Tue Jun 16, 2015 2:41 pm

LanDC wrote: Holy mother of GOD, EVERYONE! WE DID IT!!!! I donated $10,000 for a dinner with Yu. I know that's crazy but I couldn't fucking help it.

We need pics =D>
Sonoshee
"After Burner...Great!"
"After Burner...Great!"

Postby Crimson Ryan » Tue Jun 16, 2015 2:44 pm

Great to see all the old faces with this news. I've thrown some money on the pile..

Crimson Ryan has received a thanks from: darksniper
Crimson Ryan
Mac Tonight
Shenmue III

PreviousNext

Return to Shenmue III