Future ideas for Shenmue PLEASE CONTRIBUTE TO THIS

(Chapter 7 and beyond)

Re: Future ideas for Shenmue PLEASE CONTRIBUTE TO THIS

Postby Himuro » Tue Jun 16, 2015 2:52 am

I'd like Virtua Fighter 5 quality fights! I want more fights to consist of rounds like the ones in Shenmue II's Kowloon fight club fights. I want more destructible environments! I want more diverse fighting situations too! You know the part in II where you have to fight that man blindly and in the complete dark? I'd like a fight like that.

I want GOOD voice acting this time and I want Chinese voice acting for optimum immersion!
Himuro
Banned
Banned

Postby OL » Tue Jun 16, 2015 2:53 am

Himuro wrote:
OL wrote: Personally, I'd like them to retain the "press trigger and steer" method of movement. So many others seem to want basic analog movement, but that would kill a lot of the feel of the original games. I love that Shenmue had its own way of walking, of all things.

They changed this in II. II had analog controls.

I mean full-analog movement, not just controls on the analog stick. I'm talking about the way games are controlled nowadays; pull back on the stick, the character runs backwards, tilt forward and they run forward.
Don't want that. I want the car-pedal tank controls.
OL
Yo jes hummilated yoursef
Shenmue III

Postby Himuro » Tue Jun 16, 2015 2:57 am

I don't think that's a good idea personally. Given that this kickstarted and it has to appeal to people after a 14 year absence I'm not sure about that. I'm in favor for analog controls.
Himuro
Banned
Banned

Postby sand4fish » Tue Jun 16, 2015 3:02 am

I love the idea of voice acting in Mandarim for full immersion experience!
sand4fish
"After Burner...Great!"
"After Burner...Great!"

Favorite title: Shenmue

Postby Wanderin' » Tue Jun 16, 2015 3:12 am

Like everyone else here, I'm overjoyed for the announcement but am also somewhat concerned about the breadth of the game.

Will Shenmue 3 really be enough to finish off the entire saga's narrative? In particular, I'm curious about the game only including the three rural villages in mainland China. In my wildest dreams I had always imagined that the concluding chapter to Shenmue would allow the player/Ryo to return to and explore both the previous Hong Kong and Yokosuka environments again as Ryo makes his way home and revisits all the friends and close acquaintances that he has had the honour of making during his journey.

But hey - that's certainly a stretch. Will Yu and the gang be able to fit in all these places in one game?
Wanderin'
Master of the Three Blades

Postby MiTT3NZ » Tue Jun 16, 2015 3:16 am

I was actually being serious, I want a Shenmue IV. And V. VI, VII, VIII... Hell, I'd be happy for it to end with Shenmue X.

MiTT3NZ has received a thanks from: ys
MiTT3NZ
Class A Cunt
Shenmue III

XBL: Mittens2317
Steam: Mittens2317
Currently playing: Football Manager 2012

Postby Himuro » Tue Jun 16, 2015 3:17 am

Wanderin: Yu has said that 3 isn't enough and he'd like 4 to finish it.
Himuro
Banned
Banned

Postby Wanderin' » Tue Jun 16, 2015 3:25 am

Yes, you are correct about Mr. Suzuki saying that as I too recall that statement. For now though, it seems like Shenmue 3 is being strongly billed to be the final project for completing the saga.

Of course, I don't know what the future will bring exactly. It's possible we fans may have enough in us to see the series through for two new installments and/or Sony could be so impressed with Shenmue's credibility amongst gamers that they may just strike up a deal for a fourth concluding title.

Whatever the case may be, this will be a real issue of discussion for Yu and his team going forward from here.
Wanderin'

Postby Thief » Tue Jun 16, 2015 3:27 am

Shenmue X would be ideal because clearly it's the most badass sounding name.

Thief has received a thanks from: MiTT3NZ
Thief
LAMEWAD
Machine Gun Fist

Postby OL » Tue Jun 16, 2015 3:36 am

I'm positive this won't be a popular idea (lotta AM2 fanboys :P ), but I actually think the fighting system should be less like Virtua Fighter.
Honestly, when I think back on my fondest memories of Shenmue, I think of exploration, I think of minigames, I think of collecting things and doing jobs and tapping through the excellent QTE's... but the free fighting system always comes out last. It's not that it's difficult, it's just never struck me as terribly entertaining. It always felt very restrictive and stiff to me, the way it forced into a sort of side-scrolling fighting stance. It certainly wasn't exactly primed for "one vs. many" fights. The 70-Man Battle was fun, but that was in spite of the battle system.

I think if there's one big change they should make, it's to make the fighting system a little more open, a little better for trading punches between multiple enemies one after the other. Something more like Yakuza, honestly, although toned down so Ryo doesn't feel like he's superhuman (no Heat moves or bicycle smashes). Retain the directional move system -- maybe make it so you hold down a button before inputting a command or something, and that'll keep Ryo faced in one direction -- but this should be one place where full analog movement is implemented, so Ryo can shift around and attack separate enemies a little more easily.

OL has received a thanks from: MiTT3NZ
OL
Shenmue III

Postby shredingskin » Tue Jun 16, 2015 3:47 am

Shenmue is a martial arts game, while I agree that Shenmue's fighting system wasn't optimal it was pretty damn great.

Also I hate the idea of SIII after all this time of waiting to be a yakuza clone.

BTW in SII the VS battles were fucking amazing.

Some stuff:
- Bring back FREE music, SII location based music was not the right choice.
- Make food edible (It always felt weird that ryo was carrying 20 chocolate bars around lol). Maybe give him some stats.
- Detail over "longness".
- try to back down on the DBZ stuff.
- More important role of money in the game ? (who knows, after leaving kowloon ryo packs a good amount of money).
shredingskin
Machine Gun Fist
Machine Gun Fist

Currently playing: Some indie games.

Postby OL » Tue Jun 16, 2015 4:35 am

shredingskin wrote:Also I hate the idea of SIII after all this time of waiting to be a yakuza clone.

I've always said it when comparison conversations come up about these two: they're both separate entities, and they do things differently.
I would never suggest that Shenmue become a "Yakuza clone"; Yakuza is all about fighting battle after battle with relatively simple controls, while Shenmue is about learning, training, then utilizing your knowledge in spread out incidents.
I'm only suggesting that the manner of movement during battle be more like Yakuza's, in that it's easier to move between opponents, rather than stiffly aiming at one, then having to awkwardly reposition to go for someone else. I'd still want to see the more complex system of moves that Shenmue has always had, of course. Shenmue has always handled one-on-one fights great; it's just the one-on-many fights that need a little work.
OL
Shenmue III

Wishlist for Shenmue 3

Postby ryohazuki » Tue Jun 16, 2015 8:04 am

Finally since 2003 now i can talk about what we want in shenmue 3

I want more interacton with crowd and add on stuff just to make the game more entertaning. games similar to lucky hits ?
what do you guys would want to see new in shenmue 3
ryohazuki
Funny Bear Burger Clerk
Funny Bear Burger Clerk

Re: Wishlist for Shenmue 3

Postby HazDS » Tue Jun 16, 2015 8:05 am

Forklifts? :D

HazDS has received a thanks from: MiTT3NZ
HazDS
It's happening!!
Asia Travel Representative

Re: Wishlist for Shenmue 3

Postby killthesagabeforeitkillsu » Tue Jun 16, 2015 8:31 am

With a smaller budget, I personally wouldn't mind if they made the game with the old Shenmue engine (I assume making everything from scratch on UE4 will be very expensive) but improved on some technical aspects like better draw distance (no crowd pop in) and no loading times when entering buildings.

killthesagabeforeitkillsu has received a thanks from: Perfect_Chaos
killthesagabeforeitkillsu
Alpha Trading Boss
Alpha Trading Boss

PreviousNext

Return to Shenmue III