Ways to Help the Kickstarter Campaign - Spread the Word

(Chapter 7 and beyond)

Ways to Help the Kickstarter Campaign - Spread the Word

Postby sand4fish » Tue Jun 16, 2015 2:56 am

So this is finally happening! What a joy that is to have our names in our favorite game ever! But I think our work is still not finished. Are there any more ideas to bring even more awareness for the campaign? I'm spreading the word around and personally selling part of my music and game collection to raise more funds for the cause! (I'm not rich but I'll sacrifice a bit of what I have for something I truly love). 2 million is meager (about 10% of the actual development cost) for a quality free roaming 3D game, specially a game like Shenmue. This is an once in a lifetime opportunity for all of us!

Here are some ways to help generate funds for the campaign:

Also found in this topic.

Generate Hype by Ranking Shenmue 3 as the Most Anticipated Game
PS. The more games you add in your list, the more points the #1 game will have, so add other games that don't belong in the top 20 of that page in order for Shenmue 3 to get the full 10 points.

YouTube Money

Redbubble Campaign T-Shirt (Legit company based in Australia - all proceeds go towards the campaign)
Last edited by sand4fish on Sun Jun 21, 2015 6:44 pm, edited 7 times in total.

sand4fish has received a thanks from: Aimless Gamer
sand4fish
"After Burner...Great!"
"After Burner...Great!"

Favorite title: Shenmue

Re: Ideas to help the Kickstarter campaign

Postby sand4fish » Tue Jun 16, 2015 2:05 pm

Hey guys, I'm not sure if this was mentioned before but this really bothers me... The stretch goals section is way to the bottom of the page and a lot of people came to me thinking that all of the money needed for Shenmue to be developed was all set (there's a lot of first time kickstarter folks), not being aware that there are stretch goals yet to be met. Could you guys help me make sure the team is aware of this issue on the "ASK A QUESTION" (It's on the bottom part of the campaign page, right below the FAQ)?

I really wish they took a cue from the Bloodstained campaign and have an updated stretch section like this, colorful and distinct (on top of that they had sections like live streams, achievements and dedicated Paypal backer):

Right now that section in the Shenmue 3 Kickstarter can be so easily missed. What do you guys think?
sand4fish
"After Burner...Great!"
"After Burner...Great!"

Postby Wanderin' » Tue Jun 16, 2015 2:49 pm

Those are fantastic and very practical ideas. What's even more important at this moment however, especially because most fans or potential backers already think that victory has been achieved by the $2,000,000 goal already being reached, is what we as a Shenmue revival/support community continue to do from here on out.

Yes, Shenmue 3 is now a reality. But that is not any reason why we should shut down or stop our ongoing social media campaigns via Twitter or what have you.

Although it might seem greedy or insensitive of us to ask for more and more ongoing monetary support and pledges to be contributed to the kickstarter from more new backers or even backers who have already pledged, the absolute reality is this: do you/we want the ultimate, most technically, technologically, and artistically complete Shenmue experience that the saga deserves, or not?

Although it sounds greedy, the greater the kickstarter budget becomes, the more resources Yu Suzuki will have ever to create that wildly excessive Shenmue experience we have only dared to dream of over the last decade and a half.

The more we can get the kickstarter pledge to become, the higher the sense of accountability also becomes - with more money and resources than any other game company would/could have ever offered Suzuki, he will have just that much more pride and be that much more emboldened to create the true Shenmue sequel that the series deserves.

So? Rah, rah, rah, folks. It's going to be hard and unenviable work - but this time, Shenmue 3 and the *quality* of Shenmue 3 really is on the line. We need to develop more public acknowledgement of the overall design goals and stretch goals for the project and ultimately try and get as many backers to increase the overall pledge dollar amount as high as possible if we want the best Shenmue 3 possible.

Some of us have dreamt of a $10 million dollar final pledge amount. We already made one dream cone true with the kickstarter. Now let's continue working hard to support this wish. Cheers!

Wanderin' has received a thanks from: Upstairsmuffin
Wanderin'
Master of the Three Blades

Postby sand4fish » Wed Jun 17, 2015 2:18 pm

We should go to the campaign page in the "Ask a question" and plead the team to INCREASE the Stretch Goals right now. There's definitely a serious slowdown going on with the campaign right now after the news of SONY's partnership with the project, even though it might not be related.
sand4fish
"After Burner...Great!"
"After Burner...Great!"

Postby Hadoken Hazuki » Wed Jun 17, 2015 2:32 pm

I mentioned this in another topic - just seeing this one now, but fans could be more in control of the games content than they think. Suzuki has stated that they will adjust the scale of the game dependant on the overall donations. If the Dojo could put articles like the ones below on their front page, it provides a clearer perspective for more people that Sony's backing doesn't mean it's all sorted, and that continued donations are vital to the scale of Shenmue III.

http://blog.us.playstation.com/2015/06/ ... ii-on-ps4/

http://www.polygon.com/2015/6/17/879501 ... n-a-budget
Hadoken Hazuki
Man Mo Acolyte
Man Mo Acolyte

Postby sand4fish » Wed Jun 17, 2015 3:09 pm

sand4fish
"After Burner...Great!"
"After Burner...Great!"

Postby alexh86 » Wed Jun 17, 2015 3:18 pm

The premise of that Forbes article is ridiculous. You aren't donating money in most cases, you're pre-buying the game and most likely at a discount if you simply want the digital PS4 version. Granted, the $5 tier or anyone just typing a donation amount into the box is simply giving a donation but everyone else is pre-buying the game (or, in some cases, the game and a boatload of extras!). If Kickstarter is the way that we can give Yu Suzuki the license and allow him to autonomously develop this game without the corporate bullshit that has held the series back all this time--TAKE MY MONEY!
alexh86

PSN: ahark86
Favorite title: Shenmue II

Postby Master Kyodai » Wed Jun 17, 2015 3:36 pm

Dave Thier is a super idiot. Come on - Shenmue 3 for just 29 Dollars? these days you pay like 60 bucks for some fresh game - good or not. My advise "Stop reading Forbes right now", at least if they have such goofball write bullshit like that.
Master Kyodai
"After Burner...Great!"
"After Burner...Great!"

Postby sand4fish » Wed Jun 17, 2015 5:14 pm

Here is an IGN Poll that we can use to hype Shenmue 3:

sand4fish
"After Burner...Great!"
"After Burner...Great!"

Postby Rakim » Thu Jun 18, 2015 5:59 am

We should record a Shenmue 3 charity single. We can call it "Do They Know It's on Kickstarter?" by Ryo's Band Aid.

Rakim has received a thanks from: johnvivant
Rakim
Machine Gun Fist
Machine Gun Fist

Postby Peter » Thu Jun 18, 2015 6:04 am

Nah, the Sony involvement isn't having an affect.

The number is still climbing, slower than it was yes, buts that's the natural way of a Kickstarter. When it goes dead for a day or two then that's when you need to be concerned about pushing again, but right now? It's just a come down from its explosive start, so sit back and relax. It's still climbing every minute and there are 29 days left :lol:
Peter
Shenmue Dojo Owner
Shenmue III

PSN: TheGasmeter
Currently playing: Shenmue 2x

Postby redline » Thu Jun 18, 2015 6:12 am

sand4fish wrote: Are there any more ideas to bring even more awareness for the campaign?

maybe a step by step video on youtube to show how easy it is to donate to shenmue 3 on kickstarter? many fans haven't used kickstarter before.
redline
"After Burner...Great!"
"After Burner...Great!"

Postby johnvivant » Thu Jun 18, 2015 6:27 am

Rakim wrote: We should record a Shenmue 3 charity single. We can call it "Do They Know It's on Kickstarter?" by Ryo's Band Aid.

lol =D>
johnvivant
Alpha Trading Boss
Alpha Trading Boss

Postby Luke_09 » Thu Jun 18, 2015 6:30 am

Just to let you guys know, yesterday (17/6/15) the KickStarter campaign made ~ $220,000 in 24 hours, and that's even with the pledge rate dropping significantly since the first 2 days.

If this level of funding continues ($200,000 / day) then this campaign can make an extra $5.8 million.

Therefore we have to hope that the donation rate doesn't stall or drop suddenly. We have to make sure that we promote this as best as we possibly can.

ALSO.. as others have quite rightly said, I think we should e-mail a question to Ys Net asking why their Stretch-Goal list is not in a more visible place on their KickStarter website. I've asked that very question, if more of us ask that same question it might force them to actually think about how they are best promoting this campaign.
Luke_09
Funny Bear Burger Clerk
Funny Bear Burger Clerk

Favorite title: Shenmue IIx

Postby ShenmueTree » Thu Jun 18, 2015 7:46 am

I have thought about re-purposing my Shenmmania project for use as advertising Shenmue 3 kickstarter and general awareness. Rather than be a full VN it will be an interactive VN like experience that informs newcomers as to what Shenmue is and such.
ShenmueTree
"After Burner...Great!"
"After Burner...Great!"

Next

Return to Shenmue III