Really hope they can bring back the original English voices

(Chapter 7 and beyond)

Re: Really hope they can bring back the original English voi

Postby OL » Tue Jun 16, 2015 6:42 pm

Himuro wrote:
MiTT3NZ wrote: No, fuck Japanese w/subs. Even Suzuki preferred the dub. Felt cheated when I played Shenmue II and there was no dub option.

The dub sucks.

And yet it's just as much a legitimate part of the series' legacy as anything else. For many people, it's part of the personality of these games.
Back when I'd first started playing the series, I took the dubbing style as being like an old kung fu or karate movie. Seriously, give this stuff a listen. It parallels perfectly.

phpBB [video]

I'll always prefer the original Japanese track as well, but you may as accept that others like the alternative. Nothing wrong with that.

OL has received a thanks from: Rakim
OL
Yo jes hummilated yoursef
Shenmue III

Postby Himuro » Tue Jun 16, 2015 6:47 pm

OL wrote:
Himuro wrote:
MiTT3NZ wrote: No, fuck Japanese w/subs. Even Suzuki preferred the dub. Felt cheated when I played Shenmue II and there was no dub option.

The dub sucks.

And yet it's just as much a legitimate part of the series' legacy as anything else. For many people, it's part of the personality of these games.
Back when I'd first started playing the series, I took the dubbing style as being like an old kung fu or karate movie. Seriously, give this stuff a listen. It parallels perfectly.

phpBB [video]

I'll always prefer the original Japanese track as well, but you may as accept that others like the alternative. Nothing wrong with that.

Like I said in the Shenmue 2X thread in the Shenmue II forum, I agree. But only for Shenmue 1. Shenmue 1 is hilarious and charming and fucking laugh worthy in its awkwardness and unintentional comedy. Shenmue 2 us much worse off. I felt the first games dub was more true to the kung fu dub movie experience. At the same time, I still prefer the voice acting in the Japanese version. Shenmue II though, its dub is complete ass. It lacks the emotional weight of the Japanese voice track while lacking the comedy and hilarity of the original games dub. It just sucks.

I'd be fine if the new dub were either Shenmue 1 cheese or Japanese version seriousness, but nothing like what we got in Shenmue II's dub.

You can read our discussion on this here:

viewtopic.php?f=4&t=47467&start=30#p1085886
Himuro
Banned
Banned

Postby Axm » Tue Jun 16, 2015 6:55 pm

I want corey VO japanese VO and Chinese VO.
We will all play Shenmue 3 until we die. Would like to experience it in different languages.
Axm
#SaveShenmueHD
News Poster

Postby Glorious_Basterd » Tue Jun 16, 2015 7:20 pm

O for God sake Yu Susuki, please get better voice actors.
Glorious_Basterd
Asia Travel Representative
Asia Travel Representative

Favorite title: Shenmue

Postby BigTuna » Tue Jun 16, 2015 7:39 pm

I really hope they bring in the original English dub trio. Those voices just make the game an even better experience. Hell, they can probably get better performances out of them nowadays as well.

It was just announced though. We gotta give it some time before any of this sort of news surfaces. But we do gotta be vocal about what we want.
BigTuna
Master of the Three Blades
Master of the Three Blades

Favorite title: Shenmue
Currently playing: Breath Of The Wild

Postby Miles Prower » Wed Jun 17, 2015 3:22 pm

If they're bringing back Masaya as Ryo's Japanese VA, I'm confident they'll bring back Corey (though I kind of love that he didn't know anything about this either and that he was just as shocked as we were :lol: )
Miles Prower
"Keep Friends"
"Keep Friends"

XBL: sppeac1987
Favorite title: Shenmue II

Previous

Return to Shenmue III