All-Encompassing Kickstarter Records and Stretch Goals topic

(Chapter 7 and beyond)

Re: First Stretch Goal Reached at $2.5m!

Postby Ceej » Tue Jun 16, 2015 1:24 pm

I'd rather have Shenmue I & II ports personally ;)
but i'll take it.
Ceej
Master of the Three Blades

Favorite title: Shenmue

Postby Master Kyodai » Tue Jun 16, 2015 1:36 pm

Ah, come on - 400,000 Dollars for subtitles? Well i guess we'll have to take them,eh? I mean I'm German, so honors me that German comes first on the List, but i could have lived well without them... Give us a playable Iwao Flashback instead where you have to kill Lan Di's father after he catches you stealing his mirror... XD

Master Kyodai has received a thanks from: MiTT3NZ
Master Kyodai
"After Burner...Great!"
"After Burner...Great!"

Postby alexh86 » Tue Jun 16, 2015 2:32 pm

Master Kyodai wrote: Ah, come on - 400,000 Dollars for subtitles? Well i guess we'll have to take them,eh? I mean I'm German, so honors me that German comes first on the List, but i could have lived well without them... Give us a playable Iwao Flashback instead where you have to kill Lan Di's father after he catches you stealing his mirror... XD

It will take a lot of time to translate all of the dialog if they voice as many NPCs as they did in the first two games. The $400k is really $100k per language. A person skilled enough in both German/French/Spanish/Italian and Japanese to effectively translate the script would have a rare set of skills. I would think that person would be paid the equivalent of $60k - $70k+ per year. If it takes a year or more to finalize all of the translation efforts for that one language and then they also have to have programmers spend their time entering, formatting, proofreading and matching text with the proper speech, you can see how it could eat up that $100k very quickly.
alexh86

PSN: ahark86
Favorite title: Shenmue II

Next stretch goal reached!

Postby Master Kyodai » Tue Jun 16, 2015 2:41 pm

German subtitles for everyone! You're not German? Sucks to be you then! 98,000 Dollars more for French subtitles...

:D
Master Kyodai
"After Burner...Great!"
"After Burner...Great!"

Re: Next stretch goal reached!

Postby mue 26 » Tue Jun 16, 2015 2:43 pm

This is what Shemue Master get for all their efforts :lol:
Last edited by mue 26 on Tue Jun 16, 2015 2:58 pm, edited 1 time in total.
mue 26
Machine Gun Fist
Machine Gun Fist

Postby Master Kyodai » Tue Jun 16, 2015 2:56 pm

alexh86 wrote:
Master Kyodai wrote: Ah, come on - 400,000 Dollars for subtitles? Well i guess we'll have to take them,eh? I mean I'm German, so honors me that German comes first on the List, but i could have lived well without them... Give us a playable Iwao Flashback instead where you have to kill Lan Di's father after he catches you stealing his mirror... XD

It will take a lot of time to translate all of the dialog if they voice as many NPCs as they did in the first two games. The $400k is really $100k per language. A person skilled enough in both German/French/Spanish/Italian and Japanese to effectively translate the script would have a rare set of skills. I would think that person would be paid the equivalent of $60k - $70k+ per year. If it takes a year or more to finalize all of the translation efforts for that one language and then they also have to have programmers spend their time entering, formatting, proofreading and matching text with the proper speech, you can see how it could eat up that $100k very quickly.

Ah come on, normally you don't have a translator take 1 year to create some subtitles. I mean when the project is "done" you give it to translators and they do it in a few weeks or so. ot like ya have a subtitle translator accompany the whole development, barely makes sense. But yeah minus irony - i guess they need the money for other stuff, not like the 2 million would cover the whole game, eh?
Master Kyodai
"After Burner...Great!"
"After Burner...Great!"

Re: All-Encompassing Kickstarter Records and Stretch Goals t

Postby mue 26 » Tue Jun 16, 2015 3:00 pm

It doesn't really matter though, as we know assuredly that all those stretch goals are going to be achieved. It's probably more a way of gauging interest, even if it does sound a bit crazy.
mue 26
Machine Gun Fist
Machine Gun Fist

Postby Thief » Tue Jun 16, 2015 3:01 pm

I just want to see Shenmue 3 become the most successful video-game on kickstarter. If this kickstarter was a way to gauge interest, well then, can't do much better than that.

Thief has received a thanks from: mue 26
Thief
LAMEWAD
Machine Gun Fist

Postby OL » Tue Jun 16, 2015 3:02 pm

It's over two and a half million already, after one night. And there's still a month to go.
I'm pretty damn sure this is going to trump Bloodstained.
OL
Yo jes hummilated yoursef
Shenmue III

Postby Testament » Tue Jun 16, 2015 3:11 pm

People seem to get upset at this/make note of stuff like this a lot, but the point isn't "hey we need $400k before we can afford subtitles," it's silly, fun marketing stuff; a guarantee that at this amount, it'll get what the goal states. The game's going to make the same amount of money regardless of stretch goals. It's just there to encourage people into feeling like they're actually making a difference by clicking the pledge button rather than waiting for it to come out. Herd pride and all that.
Testament

Postby Ninja Trigger » Tue Jun 16, 2015 3:19 pm

It will be a few more days before I will have the funds to back it :(

but I am super excited to see that this is breaking records on KickStarter for meeting it's goals so fast!
Ninja Trigger
Asia Travel Representative
Asia Travel Representative

Favorite title: Shenmue II
Currently playing: Shenmue II

Postby Kaven » Tue Jun 16, 2015 4:20 pm

Thief wrote: I just want to see Shenmue 3 become the most successful video-game on kickstarter. If this kickstarter was a way to gauge interest, well then, can't do much better than that.

Looks like Shenmue 3 is on track to be the most successful anything on Kickstarter.
Kaven

Favorite title: Shenmue
Currently playing: Board Games

Postby Master Kyodai » Tue Jun 16, 2015 5:23 pm

W00t - next stretch goal archieved - now we have FRENCh subtitles. Go ninja, go ninja, go!

Master Kyodai has received 2 thanks from: MiTT3NZ, OL
Master Kyodai
"After Burner...Great!"
"After Burner...Great!"

Postby OL » Tue Jun 16, 2015 5:51 pm

I always wanted to know what the characters were saying if it were in French.
Dream = attained.

OL has received a thanks from: MiTT3NZ
OL
Yo jes hummilated yoursef
Shenmue III

Postby Master Kyodai » Tue Jun 16, 2015 6:39 pm

if another dream of yours was to read Ryos line in Spanish then we are about 60 grand - roughly 90 minutes - from that....
Master Kyodai
"After Burner...Great!"
"After Burner...Great!"

PreviousNext

Return to Shenmue III