Some concerns over the Kickstarter video and vision

(Chapter 7 and beyond)

Re: Some concerns over the Kickstarter video and vision

Postby yesteryeargames » Wed Jun 17, 2015 9:27 am

It's far too early to worry . We need to keep boosting the kickstarter , I have told all my friends and managed to get a couple of small donations in . I think it needs at least 6 or 7 why can't sonychuvk in a couple of million ?

I went with the $500 set , I would really like it if they can release a ps4 disc version instead of the pc even if in a limited quantity like retro City ps4 was .

Any way we can push for that?
yesteryeargames
Asia Travel Representative

Favorite title: Shenmue
Currently playing: Splatoon

Postby BigTuna » Wed Jun 17, 2015 9:30 am

I get the concern for the character models completely. Ryo looks especially wonky. But I don't think these are even close to the final vision.
Hopefully they shouldn't be taken seriously. These are simply just a placeholder is what I'm thinking. Something new to show. They worked with what they had is all.
BigTuna
Master of the Three Blades

Currently playing: Breath Of The Wild

Postby shredingskin » Wed Jun 17, 2015 9:44 am

Right now we are stretching to a goal that we dont know what it is lol

Suzuki step up the game!
shredingskin
Machine Gun Fist
Machine Gun Fist

Currently playing: Some indie games.

Postby Atlantean » Wed Jun 17, 2015 9:56 am

Himuro wrote: You realize they haven't started development, right? You also realize they were just trying to find a placeholder to show SOMETHING, right? You realize hey did ALL OF THAT without much money, right?

I tried to make the argument that they didn't need to do "all of that" to make a more successful video to explain their vision and how development will work with Kickstarter. I'm not complaining "Wah, this isn't what I want the final game to look like!". I'm complaining "This did nothing to explain how the project is going to be developed, or what kind of game we can expect from this campaign".

If you take away your appreciation for the series for a second, and imagine yourself as a total outsider, tell me, would that video convince you on the vision and goals of the project? I'm ready to bet it wouldn't, and that's basically my biggest problem with it.

Peter wrote: Hey Atlantean, yep I remember you.

To be honest, and I know this won't be shared by everyone, but for me, I have literally zero concerns. About anything that's going on or is to come. My happiness that we even have a logo for Shenmue 3, is enough for me to die a happy man. It had gotten to the point where I had doubts we would see it in our lifetime. But now it's here, it's official, no more campaigning, mo more asking, no more begging, no more speculating......

It could be the biggest pile of dung and I won't care. We got to experience all of this, to get an actual game rather than some piece of non interactive media, and we will get to finally see where Lan Di went in that chopper from the top of the Big Ox Building and finally finish the story!

Your post is full of a lot of points, but they are just fear and speculation based off of a concept video. Nothing more. This is Yu Suzuki himself who is overseeing this entire project. If it was another studio then I'd have more cause for concern. But you honestly think he is gonna develop some piece of crap that is, his baby, to the most die hard fans known? I don't think so. Shenmue 3 will be great. Just keep the faith!

Hey Peter, it's also nice to see you. I am grateful for being alive at the time of this announcement and possibly whenever this is finished. I'd be psyched if I ever get to play it. But I'm afraid it won't be enough if all the game is in the end is a conclusion and nothing more. I really hope Yu Suzuki is mostly doing this for himself - for his vision, for his ambition - and not just because we want an end to the story. I want a Shenmue 3 that feels like a Shenmue game, and not a fan made one, and this video hasn't really ignited my attention on that level.
Atlantean
"After Burner...Great!"
"After Burner...Great!"

Steam: Lantean
Currently playing: Steam Wallet Drain Game

Postby Master Kyodai » Wed Jun 17, 2015 10:06 am

Video was a mockup to show the engine and at least feature something from Shenmue. People take that too serious. You can't show a good game video before you even started development for a game, so for a zero budget mockup i think it was pretty nice. After development started and they finished designing the main characters you could really be pissed if it doesn't meet your expectations.

Backers will also get a platform for feedback - so if you backed the project you will get the chance to participate in polls and feedback form to have your voice heard, so if something bothers you AFTER development started you will be heard. But now it's too early. Yu is empty handed at the moment so don't bash him too much for the mockup video.
Master Kyodai
"After Burner...Great!"
"After Burner...Great!"

Postby sand4fish » Wed Jun 17, 2015 10:15 am

I seriously don't know what the fuss is all about.... This is an UNREAL 4 engine we are talking about. That same engine will power the next STREET FIGHTER 5 and GEARS OF WAR games. That video presentation was made probably out of Yu Suzuki's own pocket (no company wants to bank in him upfront after all), so it is just basically an attempt.
sand4fish
"After Burner...Great!"
"After Burner...Great!"

Postby Henry Spencer » Wed Jun 17, 2015 10:26 am

It is the character models that are throwing people off. Ryo's model, specifically. It is still very early and they have gotten both the original artist but also the very same man who created Ryo's model in the original. So really we should not be worried. It was more than likely thrown together just to have something, anything to show. Maybe even not by the character model artist at all but somebody else before Suzuki could get him to join the team?
Henry Spencer
Let's go Catherine!
Shenmue III

PSN: harryangel666
XBL: Magiking
Currently playing: Yakuza Kiwami/Zelda: BOTW

Postby JohnBlack » Wed Jun 17, 2015 10:52 am

I definetly agree with topic starter. I also have this fear that they go for something cartoon-like style. I know - its not even alpha version, but they uses this Ryo model everywhere even on their website, so its kinda make me a bit worried. Dont get me wrong I really super happy that this is happening. But i also just dont like the kickstarter "goals". Yes i donated for the game, but this goals is pretty strange like "Mini-games x5" its just looks like this indie-games. I dont know how to properly say this, but im just in fear that game will be without spirit of first two. The whole thing about first two parts is small details that builds that atmosphere, with great sharp-realistic graphics. But im looking forward, that if something will go wrong Mark Cerny will help))
JohnBlack

Favorite title: Shenmue II

Postby sand4fish » Wed Jun 17, 2015 11:03 am

JohnBlack wrote: But i also just dont like the kickstarter "goals". Yes i donated for the game, but this goals is pretty strange like "Mini-games x5" its just looks like this indie-games. I dont know how to properly say this, but im just in fear that game will be without spirit of first two.

If you really think hard enough about the past 2 games, Shenmue is pretty much a collection of "mini-games", arcade games specifically- fight mechanics from VF and QTE from Dragon's lair, tied altogether into the free roaming adventure mechanics. So nothing changed to be honest, except for the new art direction and the engine.
sand4fish
"After Burner...Great!"
"After Burner...Great!"

Postby JohnBlack » Wed Jun 17, 2015 1:07 pm

sand4fish wrote:If you really think hard enough about the past 2 games, Shenmue is pretty much a collection of "mini-games", arcade games specifically- fight mechanics from VF and QTE from Dragon's lair, tied altogether into the free roaming adventure mechanics. So nothing changed to be honest, except for the new art direction and the engine.

You just dont get what im trying to say. Mini-games is good thing, i really like it and so. But the goals in kickstarter campaigin is sonething im always dont like in crowdfunding games. Like for 4m we get expended village, so if campagin will stop at 3m$ for example, so we get small not finished village, not like its planned to be or what?
JohnBlack

Postby Taren Fox » Wed Jun 17, 2015 1:23 pm

People are criticizing the video right now... 48 hours ago, people were crapping their pants and saying it was the best thing ever.

Just saying. :P
Taren Fox
Funny Bear Burger Clerk
Funny Bear Burger Clerk

Postby raunchy » Wed Jun 17, 2015 1:25 pm

The one reason you shouldn't be concerned is because Yu has the script and design done for years. You may think that because of this, the kickstarter video would be better. However I think you are underestimating how little expectation Yu/Sega/Sony etc. has for Shenmue III. There's only so much you can do when you aren't getting any support anywhere. I know its a lot better now that the KS has blown up, its like a slap in the face to the doubters
raunchy

Favorite title: What's Shenmue
Currently playing: Waiting for Fall games

Postby elmatto » Wed Jun 17, 2015 1:31 pm

It's been a while since I played Shenmue, but wasn't there scrolls or something like it in the originals? Like you can buy them, learn a move? That's nothing new right? I guess that's why I wasn't too concerned when he mentioned it. Feel free to correct me though.
elmatto

Postby Peter » Wed Jun 17, 2015 1:34 pm

People are entitled to have their opinions i cant help or even prohibit that. But i dont get about the criticism at this stage. I will say one thing though, you have to ask yourself, do you want Shenmue 3 to look EXACTLY like Shenmue I and II? Because if you do, then leave and find another franchise to follow. This game IS going to look different. Its being developed on a current gen engine. So if you are worried about it NOT looking the same, or having the same feel then you are right to be worried because it will! Of course it will!

But thats something you are gonna have to accept. Its not 2002 anymore an technology has moved on. It would have been foolish to assume that its onna look and feel like the original games. Itgs like asking FIFA to make FIFA 16 with the graphics from FIFA 96 because you dont like the graphics of this generation.

In relation to getting a smaller area due to how much money will be made etc..... that may be true. But how will you know? How will you know what an area was supposed to be, or what size it was originally intended? You wont. So again, you are hypothisizing. You are over thinking it, and looking for answers to questions you will never know the answer to. You will be the one torturing yourself, so dont do that. Let the game be what it is meant to be and appreciate we have a Shenmue 3 coming.
Peter
Shenmue Dojo Owner
Shenmue III

PSN: TheGasmeter
Currently playing: Shenmue 2x

Postby ys » Wed Jun 17, 2015 1:34 pm

Hey Atlantean. I know what you mean. As I wrote somewhere else, I thought that the environment looked great but the voice acting was...yeah... Worse than the average voice in Shenmue I. Maybe some people working on the project quickly recorded this just to have something.
They didn't really need those voices though. It would have been enough to just announce the game while showing footage of the environment. Maybe with Ryo and Shenhua from a distance since the character models are weird as mentioned.

It actually looks like Ryo and Shenhua both have a different art style somehow. I was also looking at a Shenmue II screenshot yesterday and you can clearly see that Dreamcast Ryo looks much more polished than what we saw now.
It's kind of like a "sketch" at this point and things can change a lot. For example, compare Ryo in the Saturn version, Project Berkley, beta versions etc. Also look at Shenmue Online. The art was subpar but when Yu took over things improved a lot and "felt" more like his work.

But as you say, for an outsider this likely doesn't make a great impression. I don't think anyone gets interested after seeing that. But I suspect that they were mainly going for the fans first with Kickstarter. Just to see if we really are behind the project. Then other audiences (and us) will be targeted later on when they show more serious trailers and parts of gameplay.
ys
"Keep Friends"
"Keep Friends"

Favorite title: What's Shenmue

PreviousNext

Return to Shenmue III