What's happened in your life in the past 14 years?

(Chapter 7 and beyond)

Re: What's happened in your life in the past 14 years?

Postby ys » Thu Jun 18, 2015 1:32 pm

It's interesting to read all of your posts.
My first reaction was that not much had happened. For example still being about 10 years older than the average member here seems to be ;) Then I thought a bit and remembered that I moved between two countries, was chosen to audition for a bigger band within the genre, moved again, got a new place, worked for quite a while at the same company, got some health problems, quit the job, worked more often with sound production, was able to buy a new car, got myself a bit of a math/physics education, moved to the other country again, worked a few times as an astrophysics teaching assistant,... Still together though with the same person as back when I joined. It maybe helps that she's also a fan ;)
Last edited by ys on Thu Jun 18, 2015 5:00 pm, edited 1 time in total.
ys
"Keep Friends"
"Keep Friends"

Favorite title: What's Shenmue

Postby Locke_cole » Thu Jun 18, 2015 1:33 pm

Henry Spencer wrote: I've been on the Dojo.

Locke_cole has received 2 thanks from: goaliefrk, MOE2FREAKY
Locke_cole
Alpha Trading Boss
Alpha Trading Boss

Postby joka » Thu Jun 18, 2015 2:16 pm

Great topic and really interesting what everyone has done during the big wait!

Seems to be a coming out connection! Lol. I wonder if the escapism of shenmue connected with people still trying to understand themselves and not feeling like they fit in?

I'm gay myself but I've never really thought about a connection until reading this topic.... It's known that certain mediums have connected with the 'disassociated or minorities'- X Men being a good example as it is known to have a higher proportion of fans from ethnic/sexual minorities- mutants represent them in a fantasy way I guess....

Anyway apart from accepting I was gay I got kicked out of college, went through crappy retail jobs, moved around the UK with my ex, learnt to drive, got a car, got a new partner, got a decent job with a bank, split with that partner last year and then shortly after had the worst time when my mum died suddenly...
I remember trying to explain shenmue to her when I was younger and she knew I was a massive fan so shenmue 3's announcement was bittersweet in that respect as I would've loved to tell her it was finally happening and try explaining kickstarter to her! :')

Great topic

*Edit oh and I'm 30! Profile active since 2003 but I think we all migrated then from a different system didn't we? I'm sure I was on the dojo before then..
Last edited by joka on Thu Jun 18, 2015 2:58 pm, edited 1 time in total.

joka has received a thanks from: Miles Prower
joka
Man Mo Acolyte
Man Mo Acolyte

PSN: C_U_NexTime
Currently playing: Phantom Pain

Postby Xzedopau » Thu Jun 18, 2015 2:40 pm

That's a great topic...lot of great stories here.

I probably one of the youngest member here. I'm 23 right now and I first played Shenmue in 2009 when I was 17. The game was already old then, but as a true fan of videogames and the classics, I kept thinking to myself "holy shit, this game must have been awesome in 1999", because there is no game like it nowadays and much less back then.

Not too much changed since then in comparison to some guys here.
- I have a way stronger body now and I workout 4-5 days a week, because I gotta be strong enough to defeat Lan Di when Shenmue III comes out haha.
- I have my own business now and don't have to be a employee anywhere, which is great to me.
- I broke up with 3 different girls in this gap, I guess I'm not too good with this love thing yet.
- Got smarter (like anyone else here I suppose).

That is all I can remember now =p
Xzedopau
Asia Travel Representative

Favorite title: Shenmue II
Currently playing: Shenmue II (trying =p )

Postby goaliefrk » Thu Jun 18, 2015 2:41 pm

Is it safe to say almost everyone on these forums was born at the very least, before 1990?
goaliefrk
Warehouse No. 8
"After Burner...Great!"

PSN: skippitybeeboobop

Postby Riku Rose » Thu Jun 18, 2015 2:50 pm

^1992.
Riku Rose
Shenmue III
Shenmue III

Currently playing: Yakuza 6

Postby goaliefrk » Thu Jun 18, 2015 2:54 pm

Riku Rose wrote: ^1992.

Damn, just when I thought I was beginning to understand you guys.
goaliefrk
Warehouse No. 8
"After Burner...Great!"

Postby Ninja Trigger » Thu Jun 18, 2015 3:01 pm

^1991 here

But yeah a lot has happened with me since the first time I completed Shenmue 2, I started and finished high school, went to college, floated around for a few years going from to job to job, before landing a decent job as a Camp Director.
Had and lost my first girlfriend during that time I was starting to think is I should pop the question but she just wasn't the one. It's been a crazy 14 years, so I hope the story gets finished up in 3 because I don't want to wait another 10+years, playing video games is turning more into a distance hobby the older I get.
Ninja Trigger

Currently playing: Shenmue II

Postby Miles Prower » Thu Jun 18, 2015 3:01 pm

joka wrote:
Seems to be a coming out connection! Lol. I wonder if the escapism of shenmue connected with people still trying to understand themselves and not feeling like they fit in?

I'm gay myself but I've never really thought about a connection until reading this topic.... It's known that certain mediums have connected with the 'disassociated or minorities'- X Men being a good example as it is known to have a higher proportion of fans from ethnic/sexual minorities- mutants represent them in a fantasy way I guess....

Gay Shenmue fans unite! :lol: Haha. And our representation within Shenmue itself seems to be confined solely to Dou Niu and Yuan...great eh? :rotflmao:
EDIT: Oh wait, I forgot Dory Gordie, the dancer/arm wrestler. Not explicitly stated, but COME ON.

Miles Prower has received a thanks from: joka
Miles Prower
"Keep Friends"
"Keep Friends"

XBL: sppeac1987

Postby Riku Rose » Thu Jun 18, 2015 3:07 pm

The main character is a guy who shows no interest in women, seems disappointed when he finds out Xiuying is a woman and insists on only wearing leather. I'm now wondering why more gay people aren't on this forum.

Riku Rose has received 2 thanks from: goaliefrk, MiTT3NZ
Riku Rose
Shenmue III
Shenmue III

Currently playing: Yakuza 6

Postby goaliefrk » Thu Jun 18, 2015 3:07 pm

Riku Rose wrote: The main character is a guy who shows no interest in women, seems disappointed when he finds out Xiuying is a woman and insists on only wearing leather. I'm now wondering why more gay people aren't on this forum.

Or maybe how we're still straight?
:rotflmao:
goaliefrk
Warehouse No. 8
"After Burner...Great!"

Postby joka » Thu Jun 18, 2015 3:13 pm

Riku Rose wrote: The main character is a guy who shows no interest in women, seems disappointed when he finds out Xiuying is a woman and insists on only wearing leather. I'm now wondering why more gay people aren't on this forum.

Don't forgot goes looking for sailors!

I think that's one bit that actually became a cultural reference!
joka
Man Mo Acolyte
Man Mo Acolyte

Postby joka » Thu Jun 18, 2015 3:16 pm

:-# :heart:
Miles Prower wrote:
joka wrote:

Gay Shenmue fans unite! :lol: Haha. And our representation within Shenmue itself seems to be confined solely to Dou Niu and Yuan...great eh? :rotflmao:
EDIT: Oh wait, I forgot Dory Gordie, the dancer/arm wrestler. Not explicitly stated, but COME ON.

Well it was the 80's! Flash forward to now and there'd be a few more characters I reckon :rotflmao:
joka
Man Mo Acolyte
Man Mo Acolyte

Postby ShenmueForeseen » Thu Jun 18, 2015 3:18 pm

Oh man... what has happened? Well I've gone from a child to a fully grown man, but my god am I stoked for this.

Even more hyped than the FF7 remake announcement. I honestly never thought this would happen, I expected a comic book release at best.

Amazing stuff.
ShenmueForeseen
Funny Bear Burger Clerk
Funny Bear Burger Clerk

Postby PILMAN » Fri Jun 19, 2015 6:35 am

A lot, although I didn't start playing Shenmue until 2002, start out renting the game from blockbuster, shenmue 2 for the xbox, loved it so much that I bought the original and a dreamcast around 2003. I was like 16 at the time.

Since that time, my father had passed away, moved 4 times throughout Florida, have had 3 cars, visited Chicago, El Paso, Texas, Houston, Texas, Cozumel and Progreso, Mexico, went down to South America (Colombia) 5 times, got married, worked at TGI Fridays, then as an IT for 5 years, worked for a large internet service provider, got let go, worked for Apple and got promoted working for their at home program, then worked for the same ISP got promoted to a level 2 position, so much has happened in 14 years.
PILMAN
Man Mo Acolyte
Man Mo Acolyte

PreviousNext

Return to Shenmue III