Shenmue III Kickstarter marketing needs some work

(Chapter 7 and beyond)

Re: Shenmue III Kickstarter marketing is fucking terrible.

Postby TheThirdComing » Fri Jun 19, 2015 9:55 am

sand4fish wrote:
TheThirdComing wrote: Admittedly it is a little disheartening to see goals of $200'000 each adding more content to the game. All I want is a PS4 physical copy for the game more than anything else.

I really don't get this. We all know for certain that the PS4 physical copy is coming out albeit only at retail, not as a reward tier. But you know what's not a certainty? This game overall quality! So I just I don't understand how people would hold themselves from pledging more (if they can) because they'd prefer a plastic disc over having the power to make this the best game ever. After all the stretch goals are to add the extra immersion to the game, fulfilling Yu Suzuki's original vision and Sony could care less for those because they can't gauge their effectiveness at getting people to buy the game at retail price.

I don't see it being a set in stone deal, not at all. I had to import Drakengard 3 recently from the US to get a physical copy. I want the game to be a superb production certainly. But $200'000 requests for each and every feature seems a little excessive in my opinion. I would have thought considering the nature of the Shenmue series, when we reached the goal the environment should be just as immersive with many little details in the first place. Don't get me wrong, I'm glad to hear that there will be additions and features to fill out the environment, Shenmue has always been much more than a sandbox game but I just don't know if I feel this approach is right.
TheThirdComing
Master of the Three Blades
Master of the Three Blades

Favorite title: Shenmue

Postby Shenhua-Nani? » Fri Jun 19, 2015 10:02 am

Peter wrote:
Shenhua-Nani? wrote: Not a single backer in the last 15 minutes....we are officially fucked

There's a limit to what diehard fans can do, they need to attract new blood if this is gonna get any decent amount of money. ](*,)

This..... this is a joke post right?

Uhm, why?
Shenhua-Nani?
Man Mo Acolyte
Man Mo Acolyte

Favorite title: Shenmue II

Postby Peter » Fri Jun 19, 2015 10:03 am

Because saying we haven't had a backer in 15 minutes means we are officially fucked is an absolutely ridiculous statement.

Peter has received a thanks from: Hyo Razuki
Peter
Shenmue Dojo Owner
Shenmue III

PSN: TheGasmeter
Currently playing: Shenmue 2x

Postby Shenhua-Nani? » Fri Jun 19, 2015 10:07 am

But it's not only those 15 minutes, it's been slow as hell today, thats why im worried...i want this to Break another record.

Anyway i don't want to fight over a post, im out :)
Shenhua-Nani?
Man Mo Acolyte
Man Mo Acolyte

Postby sand4fish » Fri Jun 19, 2015 10:13 am

TheThirdComing wrote:
I don't see it being a set in stone deal, not at all. I had to import Drakengard 3 recently from the US to get a physical copy. I want the game to be a superb production certainly. But $200'000 requests for each and every feature seems a little excessive in my opinion. I would have thought considering the nature of the Shenmue series, when we reached the goal the environment should be just as immersive with many little details in the first place. Don't get me wrong, I'm glad to hear that there will be additions and features to fill out the environment, Shenmue has always been much more than a sandbox game but I just don't know if I feel this approach is right.

Even "if" PS4 physical copies wouldn't be even a consideration, that was not my point. The thing is, yes $200 grand is excessive but this is Kickstarter. I never wanted Shenmue 3 go that route to begin with, but now that the game is a reality our hands tied and we must make the best of it. Getting a quality budget is a issue for Yu Suzuki, so I have no choice but abide and donate whatever I can, even at the cost of being exploited by giants like Sony. It's been 14 years man.... Long ones. We saw ressurgences from small time companies like Naughty Dog become industry leaders and others filthy rich like Konami abandoning ship, and where was Shenmue and Sega in the meantime?
Last edited by sand4fish on Fri Jun 19, 2015 10:15 am, edited 1 time in total.
sand4fish
"After Burner...Great!"
"After Burner...Great!"

Postby Set12 » Fri Jun 19, 2015 10:14 am

Shenhua-Nani? wrote: But it's not only those 15 minutes, it's been slow as hell today, thats why im worried...i want this to Break another record.

Not really. After the first one to three days kickstarters slow down. Sure, the kickstarter itself and marketing can be improved but there's nothing to freak out about. You won't see a massive spike like the first days until the very end.
Set12
Asia Travel Representative
Asia Travel Representative

Postby Axm » Fri Jun 19, 2015 10:14 am

I just wrote in the comments on the Kickstarter page this..

Axm wrote:"The Kickstarter is focused very much on just existing fans. They need to draw in all the people who have maybe heard of Shenmue but still dont know anything about it.
They need to inform people on a mass scale again with a quick digest video of what Shenmue 1 and 2 were all about from story, technical and gameplay standpoints."

If we can all write about this in the comments there aswell, maybe they will notice.
Axm
#SaveShenmueHD
News Poster

Postby Amir » Fri Jun 19, 2015 10:16 am

TheThirdComing wrote:
sand4fish wrote:
TheThirdComing wrote: Admittedly it is a little disheartening to see goals of $200'000 each adding more content to the game. All I want is a PS4 physical copy for the game more than anything else.

I really don't get this. We all know for certain that the PS4 physical copy is coming out albeit only at retail, not as a reward tier. But you know what's not a certainty? This game overall quality! So I just I don't understand how people would hold themselves from pledging more (if they can) because they'd prefer a plastic disc over having the power to make this the best game ever. After all the stretch goals are to add the extra immersion to the game, fulfilling Yu Suzuki's original vision and Sony could care less for those because they can't gauge their effectiveness at getting people to buy the game at retail price.

It was either $200k stretch goals or a higher initial demand. $200k is nowhere near enough for those features anyway, game development is expensive, I'm guessing other investors will invest more as more stretch goals are realised.
Amir
"After Burner...Great!"
"After Burner...Great!"

Steam: AmirMoosavi
Currently playing: Vanquish (PC)

Postby shredingskin » Fri Jun 19, 2015 10:17 am

We are doing fine guys, like better than the record kickstarter to date, it's normal for kickstarter, but we must not sleep.

shredingskin has received a thanks from: Giorgio
shredingskin
Machine Gun Fist
Machine Gun Fist

Currently playing: Some indie games.

Postby Rikitatsu » Fri Jun 19, 2015 10:20 am

I don't think it's helpful to compare it to Bloodstained's Kickstarter, Shenmue's KS campaign is a aiming a lot higher. 5 Million where Baisha's village stretch goals end, and I assume there are similar stretch goals for the two remaining villages shown. They might be aiming for 8+ of overfunding.
Rikitatsu
Man Mo Acolyte
Man Mo Acolyte

Postby Hyo Razuki » Fri Jun 19, 2015 10:21 am

I think you need to look at it this way. The $2M was the "temperature test". If we had not even made that, then whoever is behind this project (apart from Sony and Shibuya) would have bailed out because they would have thought there was no more audience for S3 after 14 years.

The stretch goals are things Yu wants in the game which the related businesses refused to fund. Like for instance they might have said "We're past the budget. We don't need the Skill Tree. Fighting mechanics are fine without it, it has to go."

But Yu still wants those things that got cut out by his investors in the game so he is trying to fund them through Kickstarter in order to make it a - in his words - "FULL-ON Shenmue experience".
Hyo Razuki
"After Burner...Great!"
"After Burner...Great!"

Postby shredingskin » Fri Jun 19, 2015 10:22 am

http://shenmue.link/us-en/history.html

this webpage is pretty cool to show shenmue newbies, but again, it's almost hidden, they should put a link in the campain description, almost at the top if possible.
Rikitatsu wrote: I don't think it's helpful to compare it to Bloodstained's Kickstarter, Shenmue's KS campaign is a aiming a lot higher. 5 Million where Baisha's village stretch goals end, and I assume there are similar stretch goals for the two remaining villages shown. They might be aiming for 8+ of overfunding.

It's the best made from a marketing standpoint, and shenmue is still strong. There are valleys in kickstarter, that's the way it is.
Last edited by shredingskin on Fri Jun 19, 2015 10:25 am, edited 1 time in total.
shredingskin
Machine Gun Fist
Machine Gun Fist

Postby sand4fish » Fri Jun 19, 2015 10:24 am

Shenhua-Nani? wrote: But it's not only those 15 minutes, it's been slow as hell today, thats why im worried...i want this to Break another record.

Anyway i don't want to fight over a post, im out :)

Hey I actually agree with your spirit here! This might be a natural course for a kickstarter project, but that shouldn't stop us from worrying and getting the word out! After all we all want Shenmue 3 to surpass the most wild expectations ever and shut up all those naysayers from past and even present.
sand4fish
"After Burner...Great!"
"After Burner...Great!"

Postby Yokosuka » Fri Jun 19, 2015 10:24 am

shredingskin wrote:
We are doing fine guys, like better than the record kickstarter to date, it's normal for kickstarter, but we must not sleep.

The weak point is that graphic implies games which are almost original whereas Shenmue 3 is a sequel that concerns only fans and discourages newcomers. HD Remaster is highly needed.

It's still encouraging though.
Yokosuka
Machine Gun Fist
Machine Gun Fist

Currently playing: Rocket League

Postby shredingskin » Fri Jun 19, 2015 10:29 am

But it shows that even then shenmue is still stronger post "day one fever" than bloodborne.
shredingskin
Machine Gun Fist
Machine Gun Fist

PreviousNext

Return to Shenmue III