Shenmue III Kickstarter marketing needs some work

(Chapter 7 and beyond)

Re: Shenmue III Kickstarter marketing is fucking terrible.

Postby Shenhua-Nani? » Fri Jun 19, 2015 10:34 am

Yokosuka wrote:
shredingskin wrote:
We are doing fine guys, like better than the record kickstarter to date, it's normal for kickstarter, but we must not sleep.

The weak point is that graphic implies games which are almost original whereas Shenmue 3 is a sequel that concerns only fans and discourages newcomers. HD Remaster is highly needed.

It's still encouraging though.

Yep, this game has some amazing characters design and they absolutely need to update the page with more characters, hype the villains (4 leaders) and create a section that talks about the mirrors. Thats how you get a random guy to pledge, by making him go "wow this looks/sounds cool!"
Shenhua-Nani?
Man Mo Acolyte
Man Mo Acolyte

Favorite title: Shenmue II

Postby Shenmuehua » Fri Jun 19, 2015 10:42 am

Send all these ideas to them.
Shenmuehua
Master of the Three Blades

PSN: Shenmuehua
XBL: Shenmuehua
Steam: Shenmuehua
Favorite title: Shenmue
Currently playing: Shenmue

Postby Axm » Fri Jun 19, 2015 10:56 am

Hyo Razuki wrote: I think you need to look at it this way. The $2M was the "temperature test". If we had not even made that, then whoever is behind this project (apart from Sony and Shibuya) would have bailed out because they would have thought there was no more audience for S3 after 14 years.

The stretch goals are things Yu wants in the game which the related businesses refused to fund. Like for instance they might have said "We're past the budget. We don't need the Skill Tree. Fighting mechanics are fine without it, it has to go."

But Yu still wants those things that got cut out by his investors in the game so he is trying to fund them through Kickstarter in order to make it a - in his words - "FULL-ON Shenmue experience".

I'm sorry, in all respect, but your way of thinking about this is wrong.
The 2 million was more then a "temperature test" it is absolutely needed for development reasons. All of the money is. Yu Suzuki stated in a recent famitsu article that the kickstarter funds are the primary source of funding. Sony are assisting with any development needs for the PS4 and obviously marketing (E3 was the start).
But Sony are NOT bankrolling Shenmue 3. They do not have secret huge funding behind the scenes according to Yu Suzuki. The kickstarter stretch goals are very much a necessity for development and even just paying the basic bills like paying employee's.
Dont read the click bait articles out there.
Axm
#SaveShenmueHD
News Poster

Postby sand4fish » Fri Jun 19, 2015 11:00 am

Man I really wished Sony wouldn't have said anything! If people really thought Kickstarter would be the lone source of funding, we'd all be hungrier and desperate to throw money at the campaign.
sand4fish
"After Burner...Great!"
"After Burner...Great!"

Favorite title: Shenmue

Postby ShenBlue92 » Fri Jun 19, 2015 11:16 am

Behind this freaking Shenmue 3 thing I 'm certain there is a very big master plan. They can't screw this out, I guess everything is planned. They are revealing things step by step, I suppose the mystery and all these question marks concerning other major investors is what brings more people talking about this, being vocal about it, spread the word and making suggestions. They want numbers, they want people to be happier day by day, they are planning what seems to be an escalation
ShenBlue92
Asia Travel Representative
Asia Travel Representative

Postby Axm » Fri Jun 19, 2015 11:24 am

sand4fish wrote: Man I really wished Sony wouldn't have said anything! If people really thought Kickstarter would be the lone source of funding, we'd all be hungrier and desperate to throw money at the campaign.

It's a double edge sword.
On the one hand we got Sony to public unveil the Shenmue 3 kickstarter on stage at the worlds largest gaming event of the year AFTER a Final Fantasy 7 Remake announcement.
On the other end now people assume Sony are bankrolling the whole thing just because they have said they will "see it through to the end" and are assisting with development and marketing on the PS4, which they do with many 3rd party games.
Axm
#SaveShenmueHD
News Poster

Postby Raithos » Fri Jun 19, 2015 11:59 am

Axm wrote:
If we can all write about this in the comments there aswell, maybe they will notice.

Done

Raithos just now
The Kickstarter is focused very much on just existing fans. They need to draw in all the people who have maybe heard of Shenmue but still dont know anything about it.
They need to inform people on a mass scale again with a quick digest video of what Shenmue 1 and 2 were all about from story, technical and gameplay standpoints.

Raithos has received a thanks from: Axm
Raithos
The Octopath Traveler
"After Burner...Great!"

Favorite title: What's Shenmue

Postby mjq jazz bar » Fri Jun 19, 2015 12:16 pm

Adding the jacket was a smooth move. They raised nearly $60K in a few hours because of it. They need to keep it up.
mjq jazz bar
Alpha Trading Boss
Alpha Trading Boss

PSN: mortimerOA
Favorite title: Shenmue II
Currently playing: Yakuza 0 & Ni No Kuni

Postby Hyo Razuki » Fri Jun 19, 2015 12:22 pm

Axm wrote:
Hyo Razuki wrote: I think you need to look at it this way. The $2M was the "temperature test". If we had not even made that, then whoever is behind this project (apart from Sony and Shibuya) would have bailed out because they would have thought there was no more audience for S3 after 14 years.

The stretch goals are things Yu wants in the game which the related businesses refused to fund. Like for instance they might have said "We're past the budget. We don't need the Skill Tree. Fighting mechanics are fine without it, it has to go."

But Yu still wants those things that got cut out by his investors in the game so he is trying to fund them through Kickstarter in order to make it a - in his words - "FULL-ON Shenmue experience".

I'm sorry, in all respect, but your way of thinking about this is wrong.
The 2 million was more then a "temperature test" it is absolutely needed for development reasons. All of the money is. Yu Suzuki stated in a recent famitsu article that the kickstarter funds are the primary source of funding. Sony are assisting with any development needs for the PS4 and obviously marketing (E3 was the start).
But Sony are NOT bankrolling Shenmue 3. They do not have secret huge funding behind the scenes according to Yu Suzuki. The kickstarter stretch goals are very much a necessity for development and even just paying the basic bills like paying employee's.
Dont read the click bait articles out there.

I'm not sure about that. The Kickstarter page says that there are other funding sources apart from Sony and Shibuya. Sure, they won't have 20M$ up their sleeve, but it is enough to make a "basic version" of the game. Full-on version will need stretch goals.

Anyways, the game will get made now. Everything else is speculation.
Hyo Razuki
"After Burner...Great!"
"After Burner...Great!"

Postby Himuro » Fri Jun 19, 2015 12:25 pm

At this point, I'm worried about the game in general.

For example, they said there's an AMA at 9:30 PST. They did not say whether it was PM or AM. Apparently it's PM.

PM is really bad. We need this during the day time when most people are awake in the west. That means he's literally doing an AMA at 11:30 PM my time and 12:30 AM on the east coast. Even worse, it'll take place 5 AM in England. I'm really starting to get worried about this game and this marketing, because it really feels like Yu is stubborn and dead set on doing things his way to an extreme fault, even going as far as doing an AMA in the middle of the night while trying to cater to western players. AMA's are supposed to be great for information and exposure, you won't be getting great exposure doing this thing in the middle of the damn night, Yu. Why in the world did he go back to Japan? So soon and during E3 of all times? Why didn't the Kickstarter page reveal whether it was AM or PM? This game is going to be a massive bomb at this rate, because the communication to the fans and potential fans feels like it was done by someone completely out of touch and has no idea what they are doing.
Himuro
Banned
Banned

Postby Sonoshee » Fri Jun 19, 2015 12:27 pm

How is the the Kickstarter campaign able to create items (such as the $3000 jackets) to give to pledges if they have no money themselves? I think there is more backing than we think, but it's really a case of being patient until they actually tell us the overall budget. We probably won't hear anything until into August after the KS has finished. We all need to calm down a bit and stop getting all worked up. We've been patient for 15 years, I think we can be a little longer.
Sonoshee
"After Burner...Great!"
"After Burner...Great!"

Postby Hyo Razuki » Fri Jun 19, 2015 12:32 pm

They got the jacket's Prototype made by Fangamer which is an American company. The jackets themselves will probably get made in Bangladesh or China for about $100, including shipping and custom costs. ;)
Hyo Razuki
"After Burner...Great!"
"After Burner...Great!"

Postby Kenny » Fri Jun 19, 2015 12:48 pm

Himuro wrote: At this point, I'm worried about the game in general.

For example, they said there's an AMA at 9:30 PST. They did not say whether it was PM or AM. Apparently it's PM.

PM is really bad. We need this during the day time when most people are awake in the west. That means he's literally doing an AMA at 11:30 PM my time and 12:30 AM on the east coast. Even worse, it'll take place 5 AM in England. I'm really starting to get worried about this game and this marketing, because it really feels like Yu is stubborn and dead set on doing things his way to an extreme fault, even going as far as doing an AMA in the middle of the night while trying to cater to western players. AMA's are supposed to be great for information and exposure, you won't be getting great exposure doing this thing in the middle of the damn night, Yu. Why in the world did he go back to Japan? So soon and during E3 of all times? Why didn't the Kickstarter page reveal whether it was AM or PM? This game is going to be a massive bomb at this rate, because the communication to the fans and potential fans feels like it was done by someone completely out of touch and has no idea what they are doing.

Didn't take long for someone like this to pop up.

Kenny has received a thanks from: mjq jazz bar
Kenny
is Gwenpool™
Shenmue III

PSN: JamesTeeZappa
XBL: KennyNOL
Nintendo FC: FUCK THE WII-U
Steam: kenny_nol
Favorite title: What's Shenmue
Currently playing: Contest of Champions iOS

Postby Himuro » Fri Jun 19, 2015 12:49 pm

Kenny wrote:
Himuro wrote: At this point, I'm worried about the game in general.

Didn't take long for someone like this to pop up.

I made the thread.
Himuro
Banned
Banned

Postby LucBu » Fri Jun 19, 2015 2:30 pm

I made the thread.

Things are getting hot and heavy here.

So there's also some problems on the history page on that site. One or two typos and things. Odd presentation. I do think it's because of a japanese team running things. At least their localization skills have remained intact.

I wonder how long they had to prepare for this E3, if that maybe they were told a few weeks in advance that sony would be giving them the stage for a few minutes and that's why their models are so early?
LucBu

PreviousNext

Return to Shenmue III