Yu Suzuki - Reddit AMA Today 21:30 PST / 05.30 GMT

(Chapter 7 and beyond)

Re: Yu Suzuki - Reddit AMA Today 21:30 PST / 05.30 GMT

Postby mjq jazz bar » Fri Jun 19, 2015 2:30 pm

shredingskin wrote:
JohnBlack wrote: I dont get it. When in another topic we discuss that game footage is not really good, eveyone keep saying that this video was made for 0$ and just for showing. Im ok with that. But do you think they have money to make full campaigin? It requires budget. Really big budget. Good marketing campaigin can cost 100k$+ because its really hard to promote kickstarter for the people who not interested in it, a lot of people never heard of Shenmue, and of course they dont wanna give money for the game for no reason.

Look at this:

Do those look like hundreds of dollar videos ?? It's just being more professional.

And Shenmue has made more money in four days than any of those did in a month. What actually is your point? I'd understand if Shenmue were woefully underfunded and in danger of not meeting its goal, but it feels like you're all complaining just to complain.

The game's future advertising and marketing has no relationship with this Kickstarter as far as anyone knows. By all measures, the Kickstarter has been a massive success and possibly the biggest single video game success ever on a crowdfunding site... but they didn't make enough videos.

I think you and others are trying to say if they'd run a well-organized Kickstarter they'd already be at $5-10 million? It's impossible to say, as no other Kickstarted video game has performed as well as Shenmue already has.
mjq jazz bar
Alpha Trading Boss
Alpha Trading Boss

PSN: mortimerOA
Favorite title: Shenmue II
Currently playing: Yakuza 0 & Ni No Kuni

Postby Himuro » Fri Jun 19, 2015 2:38 pm

mjq jazz bar wrote:
shredingskin wrote:
JohnBlack wrote: I dont get it. When in another topic we discuss that game footage is not really good, eveyone keep saying that this video was made for 0$ and just for showing. Im ok with that. But do you think they have money to make full campaigin? It requires budget. Really big budget. Good marketing campaigin can cost 100k$+ because its really hard to promote kickstarter for the people who not interested in it, a lot of people never heard of Shenmue, and of course they dont wanna give money for the game for no reason.

Look at this:

Do those look like hundreds of dollar videos ?? It's just being more professional.

And Shenmue has made more money in four days than any of those did in a month. What actually is your point? I'd understand if Shenmue were woefully underfunded and in danger of not meeting its goal, but it feels like you're all complaining just to complain.

The game's future advertising and marketing has no relationship with this Kickstarter as far as anyone knows. By all measures, the Kickstarter has been a massive success and possibly the biggest single video game success ever on a crowdfunding site... but they didn't make enough videos.

The point is that since they had good pitches and good community communication and support they managed to keep the hype going. Shenmue III'z hype is petering out. His point is that yes, it is making money, but with a competent team managing the KS it could make much MORE money. Which is particularly important to us.
Himuro
Banned
Banned

Postby Supa » Fri Jun 19, 2015 2:38 pm

I have to admit, the websites and stuff like not being 100% clear with the time of the AMA and such is bothersome. The English shenmue.link also has a lot of typos and awkward grammar. They need to be on Facebook and Twitter, and have those linked and upkept to the official site and Kickstarter, keeping all of them up with the latest news and such. Online presence is huge.
Supa
"Keep Friends"
"Keep Friends"

Favorite title: Shenmue

Postby shredingskin » Fri Jun 19, 2015 2:41 pm

mjq jazz bar wrote:
And Shenmue has made more money in four days than any of those did in a month. What actually is your point?

I think you and others are trying to say if they'd run a well-organized Kickstarter they'd already be at $5-10 million? It's impossible to say, as no other Kickstarted video game has performed as well as Shenmue already has.

My point is that the kickstarter could be better organized and probably it could grab some other people, that's it, there's not much to it.
shredingskin
Machine Gun Fist
Machine Gun Fist

Currently playing: Some indie games.

Postby nzk0 » Fri Jun 19, 2015 2:45 pm

[quote="JohnBlack"] I dont get it. When in another topic we discuss that game footage is not really good, eveyone keep saying that this video was made for 0$ and just for showing. Im ok with that. But do you think they have money to make full campaigin? It requires budget. Really big budget. Good marketing campaigin can cost 100k$+ because its really hard to promote kickstarter for the people who not interested in it, a lot of people never heard of Shenmue, and of course they dont wanna give money for the game for no reason.

Let's do the math:

A really good content creator (who can do copy & creative) costs $350/hour (1 guy), he makes 2 content calendars (one for Facebook, one for Twitter) + the kickstarter page + Canned responses & 15 email updates. That takes him about 8 days so: $22,400 flat.

Then you need to moderate those channels, you hire a moderation company that charges $40/hour for 24/7 live moderation of Facebook+Twitter+Kickstarter so $7680/week, you only need that SLA for the first month since it's the Kickstarter campaign so $29,760 for 31 days, flat.

You need a very nice promo video on Kickstarter say $15,000

$67,160 total, I'm sure a bank could have lent Suzuki-San that amount with a IP like Shenmue.
nzk0
Funny Bear Burger Clerk
Funny Bear Burger Clerk

Steam: nzk0
Currently playing: Sleeping Dogs

Postby fif » Fri Jun 19, 2015 3:49 pm

Did you see read this interview ? A few questions are a partly answered :

http://www.gameinformer.com/b/features/ ... ign=buffer

"Shenmue was a very revolutionary and influential game when it was released on Dreamcast. A lot has changed in the games industry since then. How does the team work to make a game just as revolutionary so long after the original?
It’s all about the new challenges with me, and I definitely want to try these new things. Of course, it’s going to come down to the funding and how much we’re going to be able to spend on Shenmue III, but if we get to that point, I believe it will be just as revolutionary as the ones before."

So it's seems it doesn't have a budget secured. But maybe more funders would come after such hype.

fif has received a thanks from: Himuro
fif
Asia Travel Representative
Asia Travel Representative

Postby shredingskin » Fri Jun 19, 2015 3:54 pm

This is a stupid one:

Will we know how ryo got the bandaid ?
shredingskin
Machine Gun Fist
Machine Gun Fist

Postby sand4fish » Fri Jun 19, 2015 4:26 pm

shredingskin wrote: This is a stupid one:

Will we know how ryo got the bandaid ?

Didn't he get that during the Lan Di assault at the Hazuki Dojo?
sand4fish
"After Burner...Great!"
"After Burner...Great!"

Postby shredingskin » Fri Jun 19, 2015 4:33 pm

I think that he already has it.
shredingskin
Machine Gun Fist
Machine Gun Fist

Postby sand4fish » Fri Jun 19, 2015 4:42 pm

shredingskin wrote: I think that he already has it.

You're right. I also just noticed he still has it during the entire duration of Shenmue 2. Hmm.. your question would be the equivalent as "How did Ryo get that tattoo?" because to me it looks more like a personal style of choice (unless he's hiding a hideous scar under the band-aid).
sand4fish
"After Burner...Great!"
"After Burner...Great!"

Postby Riku Rose » Fri Jun 19, 2015 4:44 pm

Riku Rose has received 2 thanks from: NeoShredder, Raithos
Riku Rose
Shenmue III
Shenmue III

Currently playing: Yakuza 6

Postby shredingskin » Fri Jun 19, 2015 4:47 pm

sand4fish wrote:

You're right. I also just noticed he still has it during the entire duration of Shenmue 2. Hmm.. your question would be the equivalent as "How did Ryo get that tattoo?" because to me it looks more like a personal style of choice (unless he's hiding a hideous scar under the band-aid).

Akira has a scar in that place, so I allways thought VFRPG would answer the question, but in shenmue he already starts with it.
shredingskin
Machine Gun Fist
Machine Gun Fist

Postby killthesagabeforeitkillsu » Fri Jun 19, 2015 4:48 pm

sand4fish wrote:

In before flashback of kid ryo hurting himself with dad's sword and getting scolded for it.
killthesagabeforeitkillsu
Alpha Trading Boss
Alpha Trading Boss

Postby Himuro » Fri Jun 19, 2015 4:51 pm

killthesagabeforeitkillsu wrote:
sand4fish wrote:

In before flashback of kid ryo hurting himself with dad's sword and getting scolded for it.

People talk about that but I'm never seen it.
Himuro
Banned
Banned

Postby killthesagabeforeitkillsu » Fri Jun 19, 2015 4:58 pm

It isn't in the game, its just what I thought it happened when I was younger. Just like I assumed Tom went to america because he wasn't selling any hotdogs, just dancing a lot.
Last edited by killthesagabeforeitkillsu on Fri Jun 19, 2015 4:59 pm, edited 2 times in total.

killthesagabeforeitkillsu has received a thanks from: Raithos
killthesagabeforeitkillsu
Alpha Trading Boss
Alpha Trading Boss

PreviousNext

Return to Shenmue III