Legit concerns you have for Shenmue 3

(Chapter 7 and beyond)

Legit concerns you have for Shenmue 3

Postby FourWuDu1026 » Thu Jun 18, 2015 1:59 pm

I don't mean to be that one negative guy when this is the best time ever for Shenmue fans and I'm ecstatic, but realistically there are many concerns I have for Shenmue 3 given the circumstances.

1. Budget. This is probably one that everyone is a little worried about. For me I want Suzuki to be able to make the game he always wanted to make, no compromises. The fact that things like mini games and Battle Event are stretch goals is a little concerning. Those things should be included without needing to be a stretch goal, this makes me believe Sony's funding isn't nearly enough and he needs as much kickstarter funds as he can get.

2. Marketing. As people have already mentioned, the Kickstarter is terrible and amateurish. I honestly believe if the kickstarter was better put together, we would be much further along then we are now.

3. Yu Suzuki has been out of the loop for a very long time. Not that I'm doubting him but he hasn't made a big high profile game since Shenmue 2 and that was well 14 yrs ago. Tech and game design has come really far since then and I'm worried about him maybe not being savvy enough on modern game developments and things like that. Suzuki has been a great innovator but it really has been a long time. I mean he's been stuck making super low budget mobile titles for more than a few years now.

I know we all want Shenmue 3 to be the best game ever but there has to some things that might be worrying you.
FourWuDu1026
Funny Bear Burger Clerk
Funny Bear Burger Clerk

Favorite title: Shenmue
Currently playing: Persona 4,Mortal Kombat x

Re: Legit concerns you have for Shenmue 3

Postby ImGladUmad » Thu Jun 18, 2015 2:11 pm

Seems like Yu Suzuki just wants to finish the story instead of making a great game...I hope I am wrong.

I mean the Goal was $2million, that isn't much for the scale of a great Shenmue game....I know I would sound crazy but the goal should've been much higher at least $10million.

A $10 million goal would of lit a fire under every bodies asses and made people much more hyped.

Of course they need proper marketing/trailer to pull that off....The Trailer was really meh, didn't show anything about the game, a proper done trailer showing Shenmue's cities in the new Unreal 4 engine would of hyped the game much more.

As for Yu Suzuki, he is an innovator but yeah it has been a long time...Yu Suzuki is a guy who pushes the limits, thats what Im hoping for shenmue 3, but sadly that takes money.

Shenmue 3 Immersivness pushing the envelope on games>story IMO
ImGladUmad
Funny Bear Burger Clerk
Funny Bear Burger Clerk

Postby Himuro » Thu Jun 18, 2015 2:20 pm

ImGladUmad wrote: Seems like Yu Suzuki just wants to finish the story instead of making a great game...I hope I am wrong.

I mean the Goal was $2million, that isn't much for the scale of a great Shenmue game....I know I would sound crazy but the goal should've been much higher at least $10million.

A $10 million goal would of lit a fire under every bodies asses and made people much more hyped.

Of course they need proper marketing/trailer to pull that off....The Trailer was really meh, didn't show anything about the game, a proper done trailer showing Shenmue's cities in the new Unreal 4 engine would of hyped the game much more.

As for Yu Suzuki, he is an innovator but yeah it has been a long time...Yu Suzuki is a guy who pushes the limits, thats what Im hoping for shenmue 3, but sadly that takes money.

The 2 million was never said to fund the whole game. Holy shit, how many times do we have to go over this?

He says very clearly he is embracing the open world game nature of Shenmue's past right here:

http://mobile.siliconera.com/all/2015-0 ... henmue-3#1

Himuro has received a thanks from: OL
Himuro
Banned
Banned

Postby Peter » Thu Jun 18, 2015 2:23 pm

I could die in the next 2.5 years.

That is all.

Peter has received 2 thanks from: myshtuff, Yama
Peter
Shenmue Dojo Owner
Shenmue III

PSN: TheGasmeter
Favorite title: Shenmue II
Currently playing: Shenmue 2x

Postby FourWuDu1026 » Thu Jun 18, 2015 2:25 pm

Yes we know Sony is funding the game also but Suzuki has said that depending on the funds raised on kickstarter, Shenmue 3 will either be really story heavy or be an expansive open world. From that, it seems to me that Sony is giving him the bare minimum to be able to put a game together and it's really up to us and the kickstarter to flesh the game out.

I hope this isn't the case as I think a lot of people aren't backing or not backing much because they think Sony has everything covered. I mean the evidence is there that he needs more money, why else would we need to hit stretch goals to get more than 1 village/area?
FourWuDu1026
Funny Bear Burger Clerk
Funny Bear Burger Clerk

Postby FourWuDu1026 » Thu Jun 18, 2015 2:26 pm

Peter wrote: I could die in the next 2.5 years.

That is all.

Well then, I hope you survive. LOL
FourWuDu1026
Funny Bear Burger Clerk
Funny Bear Burger Clerk

Postby ImGladUmad » Thu Jun 18, 2015 2:27 pm

Himuro wrote:
ImGladUmad wrote: Seems like Yu Suzuki just wants to finish the story instead of making a great game...I hope I am wrong.

The 2 million was never said to fund the whole game. Holy shit, how many times do we have to go over this?

He says very clearly he is embracing the open world game nature of Shenmue's past right here:

http://mobile.siliconera.com/all/2015-0 ... henmue-3#1

The $2 million mark clearly tells us that is what they need to make shenmue...Does it say that is gonna be all of it? no, Im sure Sony will give some money but $2 million is not much at all even if sony is doubeling what they get, thats $4 million....That is nothing for shenmue.

So yes I stand by what I say, the goal should of been much higher.

Did you even read your link?

“Everyone must be thinking that we’ll expand the open world more, but I’ve been deeply questioning whether or not to do that instead,” says Suzuki. “If we were to have 100 characters and split the budget among them, we’d be limited in terms of what we could do with each one; however, if we were to split that budget among just 10 characters, we could do a lot more with them.”

He continues, “For example, we could set a parameter for Ling Shen Hua, then we could have it change her attitude depending on the conversations, or the way one proceeds through quests. Of course, that doesn’t mean that it won’t be an open world game. A stretch goal on Kickstarter will determine the expansion of the city.”

Read more at http://www.siliconera.com/2015/06/17/yu ... KrUQjjB.99

He is clearly saying that the budget doesn't allow them to do much on the open world front.....Obviously I expect somewhat of an open world but with lack of funds, is gonna be missing what made Shenmue great.
ImGladUmad
Funny Bear Burger Clerk
Funny Bear Burger Clerk

Postby Iorta » Thu Jun 18, 2015 2:27 pm

That is all.

Don't ban me, the brosauce guy and then you will be fine.
Iorta
Banned
Banned

Currently playing: Kickstarter

Postby Hadoken Hazuki » Thu Jun 18, 2015 3:05 pm

That's not clear at all to me. In fact to me, it's sounds like he's alluding to the possibility of the opposite.

Everyone must be thinking that we’ll expand the open world more, but I’ve been deeply questioning whether or not to do that instead

The rest of the quote sounds like he's pondering whether to go for Intimacy over Scale. Character over Scope.

But yeah, with regards to this topic... my big concern is that Shenmue III may be a watered down produced-on-a-budget- indie effort that will pale in comparison to the legacy of the former games. I'm not saying it's an entirely valid concern, admittedly. :) It's just at this stage the information is so unclear (and contradicting) with regards to the game's potential production values.

On one hand, some people reckon the Kickstarter donations will be pocket money in comparison to its total budget, but on the other hand, we're getting stretch goals like Spanish subtitles and "previously on" segments for SI and SII. Stuff that really sounds as if they should be givens if the game has plenty of financial backing. And I don't understand why they're so willing to show off those character models that to me, look worse than their Dreamcast incarnations. I know they're extremely early on in development, if at all. But to me, they're so dated looking that it's surprising they chose to show them off at all. Anyway, they're my paranoid fears about Shenmue III. I expect and hope for them to be proven wrong. :)
Hadoken Hazuki
Man Mo Acolyte
Man Mo Acolyte

Postby killthesagabeforeitkillsu » Thu Jun 18, 2015 3:08 pm

I think he's saying that his take on "open world" is more about detail on smaller areas than skyrim type sandbox.
killthesagabeforeitkillsu
Alpha Trading Boss
Alpha Trading Boss

Postby Himuro » Thu Jun 18, 2015 3:36 pm

Hadoken Hazuki wrote:

That's not clear at all to me. In fact to me, it's sounds like he's alluding to the possibility of the opposite.

Everyone must be thinking that we’ll expand the open world more, but I’ve been deeply questioning whether or not to do that instead

The rest of the quote sounds like he's pondering whether to go for Intimacy over Scale. Character over Scope.

But yeah, with regards to this topic... my big concern is that Shenmue III may be a watered down produced-on-a-budget- indie effort that will pale in comparison to the legacy of the former games. I'm not saying it's an entirely valid concern, admittedly. :) It's just at this stage the information is so unclear (and contradicting) with regards to the game's potential production values.

On one hand, some people reckon the Kickstarter donations will be pocket money in comparison to its total budget, but on the other hand, we're getting stretch goals like Spanish subtitles and "previously on" segments for SI and SII. Stuff that really sounds as if they should be givens if the game has plenty of financial backing. And I don't understand why they're so willing to show off those character models that to me, look worse than their Dreamcast incarnations. I know they're extremely early on in development, if at all. But to me, they're so dated looking that it's surprising they chose to show them off at all. Anyway, they're my paranoid fears about Shenmue III. I expect and hope for them to be proven wrong. :)

No, he's clearly saying that it's open-world but not the modern idea of open world that lacks detail in favor of scale.
Himuro
Banned
Banned

Postby Hadoken Hazuki » Thu Jun 18, 2015 3:52 pm

Then it's a direction I would welcome. :) I thought you were implying he was embracing it in the sense that he planned to expand upon the scale of the world. I prefer smaller areas with more detail in it. In a way, it's kind of the Shenmue I VS Shenmue II argument. To me, Yokosuka had more intrinsic detail than Hong Kong or Kowloon. Think it's one of the reasons that those who prefer the first game...do prefer it. :)
Hadoken Hazuki
Man Mo Acolyte
Man Mo Acolyte

Postby myshtuff » Thu Jun 18, 2015 4:23 pm

That is all.

Or worse. Yu Suzuki could die in the next 2.5 years.
myshtuff
Dojo Dirtbag
"After Burner...Great!"

PSN: Myshtuff
Steam: spivakar
Currently playing: Yakuza 6

Postby sand4fish » Thu Jun 18, 2015 4:35 pm

myshtuff wrote:

That is all.

Knock on wood... damn u lol. If that happens, I'll follow after him. What's the point of living if not for Shenmue 3, 4...? [-(
sand4fish
"After Burner...Great!"
"After Burner...Great!"

Postby FourWuDu1026 » Thu Jun 18, 2015 4:37 pm

myshtuff wrote:

That is all.

Only way that happens is a tragic accident. Hes only in his 50's and looks very healthy. But knock on wood damn it! LOL
FourWuDu1026
Funny Bear Burger Clerk
Funny Bear Burger Clerk

Next

Return to Shenmue III