Legit concerns you have for Shenmue 3

(Chapter 7 and beyond)

Re: Legit concerns you have for Shenmue 3

Postby TheThirdComing » Fri Jun 19, 2015 7:57 am

I think the main concern for me is that I do not want the game to fall to modern conventions which would detract from the experience. Sandbox games are a very big part of modern gaming, many seem to be jumping on the band wagon and the more that don't get slapped with the notion of being linear. But Shenmue has never been Sandbox. It's not just a static world which you play about in. Shenmue's Calendar System (Not sure what the proper term is) is what really sets it apart. Having the game take place over a set time period with days that go on and having the environment react to this progression of time - Like how in Shenmue 1 in the town you'd see the spirit of Christmas appear with the Snow & even a walking Santa! It's truly a world you feel apart of rather than just an open environment which you're more in control of, It's this balance which I hope they still perfect in Shenmue III.

Other things, QTE's. I know our generation has become tired of them but they're a staple in Shenmue and one I want to see continue. I like the Arcade vibe they bring when actions sequences heat up.

To be honest, I am not to concerned wit the games narrative, I mean this is content which has all been scripted for many years, I am confident it will be in the same spirit as the previous two games.

One thing I am curious about is the graphics. I have always said for years I would be content with a Shenmue III which is built on the same engine as 1 & 2... however, I don't know how I would react to something even better. I mean I don't view the e3 trailer as anything near final, but they looked a bit off still, I hope this isn't a feeling I still have upon seeing the final build.
TheThirdComing
Master of the Three Blades
Master of the Three Blades

Favorite title: Shenmue

Postby shredingskin » Fri Jun 19, 2015 7:58 am

Yokosuka wrote:3) Each place = unique music

That is one of the reasons that I think Shenmue I is better than 2, Free music was great, sometimes the music in shenmue II wouldn't match the atmosphere of the moment.

I hope free music is taken back.
shredingskin
Machine Gun Fist
Machine Gun Fist

Currently playing: Some indie games.

Postby Hadoken Hazuki » Fri Jun 19, 2015 8:07 am

Each place = unique music

I preferred the way it was done in the original Shenmue, where the FREE music changed as you progressed through the story (it made the world feel more seamless and connected), rather than each area being designated its own track that remained the same throughout the second game (aside from a couple of instances like Ryo's bag being stolen and chasing Ren.)

sometimes the music in shenmue II wouldn't match the atmosphere of the moment.

Yeah, Shenmue II's FREE music seemed too concerned to emphasize the fact that it was Chinese music (as in "Ryo's in a different country now guys, listen!") instead of evoking the ambience and tone at that specific part of the story.
Hadoken Hazuki
Man Mo Acolyte
Man Mo Acolyte

Postby Three Blades » Fri Jun 19, 2015 8:16 am

The Chinese music did make it feel like you were in a foreign place though, just like Ryo would have felt. Out of his comfort zone and away from home.
I can't decide which I like more. They're both cool.

Three Blades has received a thanks from: FlagshipFighter
Three Blades
Man Mo Acolyte
Man Mo Acolyte

Favorite title: Shenmue II

Postby Hadoken Hazuki » Fri Jun 19, 2015 8:19 am

True. I know and understand what their intention was, I just preferred the first game's way of handling it. :)

EDIT: Thinking about it now, it's more the fact that a lot of the FREE music in Shenmue II was very bouncy and upbeat in comparison to the first game, especially the tracks in Wan Chai. If they had gone for the traditional Chinese music, but made it slower and more ambient I think it would've pulled off a better vibe. :)
Hadoken Hazuki
Man Mo Acolyte
Man Mo Acolyte

Postby Yokosuka » Fri Jun 19, 2015 8:30 am

Hadoken Hazuki wrote:
Each place = unique music

aside from a couple of instances like Ryo's bag being stolen and chasing Ren

Interesting, maybe they could do a balanced mix.

Having myself been in Asia a long time ago (especially Bangkok which is very similar to Hong Kong 80's), I thought Shenmue II caught perfectly the local atmosphere through this system. Each place was like an unique artistic painting, the musical delimitation between areas made the exploration part less monotone. The loading interface with the name of the place had probably a key part in this emotion.
Yokosuka
Machine Gun Fist
Machine Gun Fist

Currently playing: Rocket League

Postby shredingskin » Fri Jun 19, 2015 8:43 am

You can still have "chinese flavored" music without it having to be per location.

Sometimes there was stuff in the game actually happening and the music would be all cheery, that didn't fit well IMO specially for areas that lead to other areas, the change in music didn't reflect what was happening at a narrative level.

Interior music is another thing, but for the open world part I bastly prefer shenmue I style.
shredingskin
Machine Gun Fist
Machine Gun Fist

Postby Mocha Joe » Fri Jun 19, 2015 9:03 am

Definitely the free battles.

QTE's, as much as I enjoyed them in the previous games, I can live with them being tweaked and changed. But if the fighting is altered to some sort of card batting system, it will really detract from the overall game. I mean the story is all about Ryo's journey to improving himself, and his martial arts training - continuously practising, learning from other practitioners etc. - is an integral part of that. Replacing that with 'technique scrolls', at least from the little details we know about them, doesn't make sense to me.

Other than that, I'm confident the game will capture the atmosphere of the previous instalments, which is the main thing.
Mocha Joe
Asia Travel Representative
Asia Travel Representative

Postby Hyo Razuki » Fri Jun 19, 2015 9:08 am

I loved both the music styles of S1 and 2. Couldn't say which one I prefer.
Hyo Razuki
"After Burner...Great!"
"After Burner...Great!"

Postby killthesagabeforeitkillsu » Fri Jun 19, 2015 9:09 am

Luke_09 wrote:
killthesagabeforeitkillsu wrote: There more I think about this the more I realized how difficult it will be to deliver this game. For example how will they make the Virtua Fighter esque gameplay without AM2?

That's a really good point!

Probably showing my ignorance here, but why would AM2 be needed to have Virtua Fighter-like gameplay? Surely Suzuki San still has all of the coding from the original Shenmue's, which did have the Virtual Fighter combat incorporated?

Well, Shenmue seems to be based on the VF3 engine. Even if Suzuki managed to rip the Virtua Fighter like gameplay out of the two DC games and ported it to UE4 successfully... You would still need a team to make new moveset and moves unless you want Shenmue 3 to only have stock moves from the previous games.

At this moment with no VF6 in sight, AM2 is basically in SEGA hell doing nothing when a new Shenmue game is about to be made... Why?

Sadly, I see Suzuki going for the modern QTE thing because he doesn't have the man power and funds for the virtua fighter stuff.
killthesagabeforeitkillsu
Alpha Trading Boss
Alpha Trading Boss

Postby killthesagabeforeitkillsu » Fri Jun 19, 2015 9:09 am

Sorry
killthesagabeforeitkillsu
Alpha Trading Boss
Alpha Trading Boss

Postby Yokosuka » Fri Jun 19, 2015 9:12 am

killthesagabeforeitkillsu wrote: Sorry

You make me depressed.
Yokosuka
Machine Gun Fist
Machine Gun Fist

Currently playing: Rocket League

Postby Tycho » Fri Jun 19, 2015 9:16 am

When people say that Suzuki may be going for more a modern QTE system, what kind of change to QTE's do they mean?
Tycho
Fuku-san
Fuku-san

Postby shredingskin » Fri Jun 19, 2015 9:16 am

The hardest part is doing the fighting programming, adding the moves just requires some animation.
shredingskin
Machine Gun Fist
Machine Gun Fist

Postby Henry Spencer » Fri Jun 19, 2015 9:27 am

Which is why this game needs more funds so we can have both the QTEs and free battles back as we remember them.
Henry Spencer
Let's go Catherine!
Shenmue III

PSN: harryangel666
XBL: Magiking
Currently playing: Yakuza Kiwami/Zelda: BOTW

PreviousNext

Return to Shenmue III