The PS4 Physical Copy Issue & the $10 Million Goal Struggle

(Chapter 7 and beyond)

Re: The PS4 Physical Copy Issue & the $10 Million Goal Strug

Postby Reprise » Tue Jun 23, 2015 3:59 pm

scroeffie wrote: they need to addd PAYPALLLLLLLLLLLL

Kickstarters never use Paypal though, right? It would make it far harder to gauge and quantify the funding raised when you have two different streams.
Reprise
Alpha Trading Boss
Alpha Trading Boss

Postby EdenSB » Tue Jun 23, 2015 4:34 pm

Reprise wrote: Kickstarters never use Paypal though, right? It would make it far harder to gauge and quantify the funding raised when you have two different streams.

I don't know if Kickstarters use Paypal while ongoing, but as an example, Toejam and Earl: Back in the Groove put up a website where people could give funds in some way after the kickstarter had ended successfully, but not reaching all stretch goals. Then when enough money came in, they updated saying they're fulfilling the next stretch goal as it had been reached with those extra funds.
EdenSB
Asia Travel Representative
Asia Travel Representative

Favorite title: Shenmue

Postby Reprise » Tue Jun 23, 2015 4:38 pm

EdenSB wrote:
Reprise wrote: Kickstarters never use Paypal though, right? It would make it far harder to gauge and quantify the funding raised when you have two different streams.

I don't know if Kickstarters use Paypal while ongoing, but as an example, Toejam and Earl: Back in the Groove put up a website where people could give funds in some way after the kickstarter had ended successfully, but not reaching all stretch goals. Then when enough money came in, they updated saying they're fulfilling the next stretch goal as it had been reached with those extra funds.

Yeah, that's what I want to see happen.
Reprise
Alpha Trading Boss
Alpha Trading Boss

Postby Sonoshee » Tue Jun 23, 2015 4:51 pm

I made a tweet about needing a Paypal option on the shenmue.link site after the Kickstarter finishes so we could continue to donate. I sent it out to Yu, Biscay, Corsi and the official S3 page. Biscay has actually favourited it.

Sonoshee has received 2 thanks from: Hyo Razuki, PacemaŜinobo
Sonoshee
"After Burner...Great!"
"After Burner...Great!"

Postby Sonoshee » Wed Jun 24, 2015 10:30 am

Someone on the KS comments made a very interesting post regarding the PS4 physical copy:

There are 26,000 backers on $29. Pretty much all of these would move up to say $70 for a hard copy. So say it was $70 thats a potential 1 million dollors extra between for the kickstarter without having to get more people and hit another audience!!
Sonoshee
"After Burner...Great!"
"After Burner...Great!"

Postby Hyo Razuki » Wed Jun 24, 2015 10:33 am

EdenSB wrote:

Bloodstained also did the thing which they called "slacker backer". It was for people to donate via Paypal after the Kickstarter had already ended.
Last edited by Hyo Razuki on Wed Jun 24, 2015 10:46 am, edited 1 time in total.
Hyo Razuki
"After Burner...Great!"
"After Burner...Great!"

Postby Peter » Wed Jun 24, 2015 10:38 am

According to Matt Blair from GT, the reason there is not a physical copy option is because of the ambiguity of Sony's involvement, so there's no guarantee of getting a physical copy until after the KS ends and Sony decides what support and how much they will give to Shenmue 3.

For people that want a physical copy, for their collection or whatever, there may be one to hit the shelves upon release. But at the end of the day, that shouldn't put anyone off donating to the campaign.
Peter
Shenmue Dojo Owner
Shenmue III

PSN: TheGasmeter
Favorite title: Shenmue II
Currently playing: Shenmue 2x

Postby shredingskin » Wed Jun 24, 2015 10:41 am

Most high caliber kickstarters that reach the founding goal have a paypal and a slacker backer option, sometimes more limited.
shredingskin
Machine Gun Fist
Machine Gun Fist

Favorite title: Shenmue
Currently playing: Some indie games.

Postby ys » Wed Jun 24, 2015 10:43 am

Sonoshee wrote:Biscay has actually favourited it.

He smells money.
ys
"Keep Friends"
"Keep Friends"

Favorite title: What's Shenmue

Postby Hyo Razuki » Wed Jun 24, 2015 10:44 am

Peter wrote: According to Matt Blair from GT, the reason there is not a physical copy option is because of the ambiguity of Sony's involvement, so there's no guarantee of getting a physical copy until after the KS ends and Sony decides what support and how much they will give to Shenmue 3.

For people that want a physical copy, for their collection or whatever, there may be one to hit the shelves upon release. But at the end of the day, that shouldn't put anyone off donating to the campaign.

That's why I'm getting the PC version on top. If you love the physical version so much, up your pledge and get the physicl PC version. Should there be a physical PS4 version one day I will buy it on top just for the completeness of my Shenmue collection. But I really don't see that being that big of an issue.
Hyo Razuki
"After Burner...Great!"
"After Burner...Great!"

Postby NeoShredder » Wed Jun 24, 2015 11:49 am

I think this guy from the Kickstarter comments section might be on the money with this one:

Dy, Kickstarter wrote: Okay. I'm going to go on a whim here and say I know the reason the physical PS4 disc won't be available. My experience with this comes directly from dealing with MS and Sony last year on a game I worked on for 360 and PS3. Now working
On the port to PS4.
But basically what I believe is going on is that Yu is self publishing the PC version. Sony will ONLY give download codes for PS4 because they don't count those as physical sales. Since Sony is punishing the PS4 version, they aren't getting any of the kickstarter money unless Yu pays full price for Sonys physical publishing and distribution.
So Sony is going to do a physical PS4 release but it's going to be published under them.
That right there is proof that the KS money is going to Yu and not Sony.
If you want a physical PS4 copy as a reward, then that means the KS money needs to
Be shared with Sony. They aren't going to physically publish copies for free. Hell, them even giving free download codes is nice enough. Honestly.

The money needs to go the development at the end of the day. They building the thing from scratch.
NeoShredder
Machine Gun Fist
Machine Gun Fist

PSN: NeoShredder5

Postby mrandyk » Wed Jun 24, 2015 12:15 pm

NeoShredder wrote: I think this guy from the Kickstarter comments section might be on the money with this one:

Dy, Kickstarter wrote: Okay. I'm going to go on a whim here and say I know the reason the physical PS4 disc won't be available. My experience with this comes directly from dealing with MS and Sony last year on a game I worked on for 360 and PS3. Now working
On the port to PS4.
But basically what I believe is going on is that Yu is self publishing the PC version. Sony will ONLY give download codes for PS4 because they don't count those as physical sales. Since Sony is punishing the PS4 version, they aren't getting any of the kickstarter money unless Yu pays full price for Sonys physical publishing and distribution.
So Sony is going to do a physical PS4 release but it's going to be published under them.
If you want a physical PS4 copy as a reward, then that means the KS money needs to
Be shared with Sony. They aren't going to physically publish copies for free. Hell, them even giving free download codes is nice enough. Honestly.

The money needs to go the development at the end of the day. They building the thing from scratch.

I agree. Sony did a huge favor to the series in even allowing Yu to offer PS4 download codes, seemingly free-of-charge with the rest of the money going to the development budget. They are also going to put a lot of marketing behind this game come release time, which will be another huge favor that hopefully results in big profits for YSnet and making Shenmue 4 possible. I know I will be thanking Sony with the purchase of a PS4 that I otherwise had no intention of picking up.
mrandyk
Man Mo Acolyte
Man Mo Acolyte

Postby spinksy » Wed Jun 24, 2015 12:24 pm

mrandyk wrote:
NeoShredder wrote: I think this guy from the Kickstarter comments section might be on the money with this one:

On the port to PS4.

I agree. Sony did a huge favor to the series in even allowing Yu to offer PS4 download codes, seemingly free-of-charge with the rest of the money going to the development budget. They are also going to put a lot of marketing behind this game come release time, which will be another huge favor that hopefully results in big profits for YSnet and making Shenmue 4 possible. I know I will be thanking Sony with the purchase of a PS4 that I otherwise had no intention of picking up.

Good for Sony I say (as I stated in another thread) - I am full on buying a PS4 just for this (and whatever else takes my fancy) and hope many more do as well.
Last edited by spinksy on Wed Jun 24, 2015 12:25 pm, edited 1 time in total.
spinksy
Master of the Three Blades

XBL: spinksy777
Currently playing: Shenmue, skies of Arcadia

Re: PS4 Physical Copy Issue

Postby life_247 » Wed Jun 24, 2015 12:24 pm

Sonoshee wrote:
MiTT3NZ wrote: Gamers... Ugh... I've never understood the need to have a physical copy of a game. I wonder if any of those refusing to pledge because of it have ever purchased a game on the App Store...

^ This, really. I don't think people really understand what a donation drive is all about. They shouldn't really have offered the game at all in the rewards. We want people to donate because it's Shenmue 3. Not because they are worried about what they are or are not getting with their pledges. It seems so trivial to me.

That's even worse than the usual Kickstarter rewards, that basically makes it a charity case. Kickstarter hinges on funding niche or new projects by getting you to buy the product before its finished or developed. We don't have an option to invest, which is why many people are pushing for these requests. So if we as fans stick in $10million between 60,000 and the game turns another $10 million in profit - that goes straight in Yu's pocket (as if its sucessful expect publishers to queue up to fund it properly for S4). Your money disappears you get nothing for it other than a nod. Just remember when pledging you are giving your money to YS on the promise that you'll get a game at somepoint - thats it. So I dont think its the most unreasonable demand in the world??
life_247

Re: PS4 Physical Copy Issue

Postby KidMarine » Wed Jun 24, 2015 12:27 pm

life_247 wrote:Your money disappears you get nothing for it other than a nod

and the thing you want and willing paid money for.
KidMarine
Man Mo Acolyte
Man Mo Acolyte

PSN: KiddMarine
Steam: KiddMarine

PreviousNext

Return to Shenmue III