Reddit AMA Answers

(Chapter 7 and beyond)

Re: Reddit AMA Answers

Postby killthesagabeforeitkillsu » Sun Jun 21, 2015 4:50 pm

People are mixing up concepts. Fan input and fanmade are two different things. You can pitch whatever you want but at the end, Yu Suzuki and his Japanese based team will have the final word.
killthesagabeforeitkillsu
Alpha Trading Boss
Alpha Trading Boss

Postby mue 26 » Sun Jun 21, 2015 5:03 pm

There are going to be polls on characters, amongst other things. They aren't going to include those polls if they don't intend to follow through with the result of them.
mue 26
Machine Gun Fist
Machine Gun Fist

Postby Amir » Sun Jun 21, 2015 5:06 pm

mue 26 wrote: Out of curiosity, is there anyone on here that welcomes the idea of heavy fan input into this game? So far the consensus on here seems almost unanimous that it's a bad idea, and Yu should do whatever he wants to. I too agree with this stance, especially since even voting on characters (!) seems like it's going to happen. It's pretty funny that the largest Shenmue fan site is so against the idea of fan participation. But of course it makes complete sense, since we all know part of what makes Shenmue so great is that it was the work of a uncompromising auteur.

And when the time does come, should we abstain from voting and ignore the polls completely, or would that just ensure we end up with a co-op Shenmue 3 with a band-aid less Ryo?

I'd rather see Suzuki complete his vision as he sees fit, but if they've got ideas for sidequests or extraneous stuff like leaderboards and want fan input, sure.
Amir
"After Burner...Great!"
"After Burner...Great!"

Steam: AmirMoosavi
Favorite title: Shenmue II
Currently playing: Vanquish (PC)

Postby shredingskin » Sun Jun 21, 2015 5:06 pm

mue 26 wrote: There are going to be Polls on characters, amongst other things. They aren't going to include those polls if they don't intend to follow through with the result of them.

So you think that polls are going to be "important" like "do you prefer lan di dead or alive ?".

It's going to be something like: "so which one of these two models we have here for random npc 22 do you like best ?"
shredingskin
Machine Gun Fist
Machine Gun Fist

Favorite title: Shenmue
Currently playing: Some indie games.

Postby mue 26 » Sun Jun 21, 2015 5:10 pm

I hope you're right, but he did say that he was excited to get our opinion on certain characters, so that does make it sound potentially a bit more important than your example.

AND NO NPC IN SHENMUE IS RANDOM DAMN IT!
mue 26
Machine Gun Fist
Machine Gun Fist

Postby shredingskin » Sun Jun 21, 2015 5:13 pm

If they are having a hard time deciding on 2 stuff they like, It's not like "it's not Yu suzuki idea", I don't see the problem there.

There's no way that they're are going to let decide fans outside of what Yu thinks.
shredingskin
Machine Gun Fist
Machine Gun Fist

Postby mue 26 » Sun Jun 21, 2015 5:24 pm

I still really dislike the idea of a mass of fans voting on certain things that will make it into the games. Democracy is hypocrisy man.
mue 26
Machine Gun Fist
Machine Gun Fist

Postby Drakul » Sun Jun 21, 2015 6:45 pm

mue 26 wrote: I still really dislike the idea of a mass of fans voting on certain things that will make it into the games. Democracy is hypocrisy man.

As my friend used to say "Dictatorship is 'shut up!', Democracy is 'keep talking.'"
Drakul
Master of the Three Blades

Postby SlySpy » Sun Jun 21, 2015 7:16 pm

I don't have a problem with some fan input here and there, as long as it's nothing too major or compromising to the story. I don't want Gui Zhang to somehow randomly show up when he isn't supposed to, or for Ren to turn out to be Ryo's long lost half-brother in some small-world-after-all nonsense because a fan suggested it should be in the game. Mini-games and other minor game mechanics like that would be fine though, as long as they don't drain resources from the more important aspects of the game.
SlySpy
Man Mo Acolyte
Man Mo Acolyte

Postby EverybodyLovesRen » Sun Jun 21, 2015 8:03 pm

come on guys, you can't seriously think that Yu would allow fans to actually input on the story after all this stuff we're going through to get this game done the right way, right? Not only that, but he'd never allow for us to know the story before we get to play the game. :) It'd probably be stuff like what minigame to put in or stuff like that.
EverybodyLovesRen

Postby Yokosuka » Sun Jun 21, 2015 10:40 pm

What Yu Suzuki thinks of others :

phpBB [video]

;-)

Yokosuka has received a thanks from: mue 26
Yokosuka
Machine Gun Fist
Machine Gun Fist

Favorite title: Shenmue II
Currently playing: Rocket League

Postby shredingskin » Sun Jun 21, 2015 11:29 pm

Looking at the project berkeley...

Does Shenhua die ?
shredingskin
Machine Gun Fist
Machine Gun Fist

Postby ConanTheKing » Mon Jun 22, 2015 5:30 am

mue 26 wrote: Out of curiosity, is there anyone on here that welcomes the idea of heavy fan input into this game? So far the consensus on here seems almost unanimous that it's a bad idea, and Yu should do whatever he wants to. I too agree with this stance, especially since even voting on characters (!) seems like it's going to happen. It's pretty funny that the largest Shenmue fan site is so against the idea of fan participation. But of course it makes complete sense, since we all know part of what makes Shenmue so great is that it was the work of a uncompromising auteur.

And when the time does come, should we abstain from voting and ignore the polls completely, or would that just ensure we end up with a co-op Shenmue 3 with a band-aid less Ryo?

I like it, because they will probably be in regards to small choices like "Which of these two arcade games should we add to the game?" and not major things like "Should we kill off Ryo?".
ConanTheKing

PSN: ConanTheLeader

Postby mue 26 » Mon Jun 22, 2015 9:09 am

Yeah it obviously won't be major story spoilers, I do know that, but I just worry that it could be more significant stuff than just "what arcade game do you want?". I guess we'll have to wait and see.
mue 26
Machine Gun Fist
Machine Gun Fist

Previous

Return to Shenmue III